If Genealogy was localized...

Flee Fleet!

If FE4 was localized for the West during the time it came out, what changes to the plot, or what would have censored, in the game?

As of now, I can only think that they would probably censor Lachesis' love for Eldigan, as they're half siblings. Same case with the marriage between Deirdre and Arvis, as they also turn out to be half siblings (in fact they might change the plot a bit just to avoid any hints of incest).

Anything else that comes in mind, do tell.

They'd probably turn Holyn and Ayra, Claude and Sylvia along with Alvis and Deirdre into "distant" relatives. It doesn't really have a huge impact on things, since it's only a narrative detail. Sylvia and Dew would probably be aged up and their convos tweaked. A few of the cousin marriages from gen 2 might be dropped too, perhaps with the mentions of the child hunts. Otherwise, I can't imagine anything to be too objectionable.

I don't think Arvis and Deirdre should be cause for any censorship. The relation is creepy and messed up but that's because its supposed to be. One is brainwashed, the other has massive issues and together they are breeding Satan back into the world. Its not depicted as consensual or healthy for either of them.

Incest is more of a taboo in the west but in Jugdral its also that way and Arvis x Deirde is in full agreement about such a romance being taboo. 

2 hours ago, Shin said:

Holyn and Ayra, Claude and Sylvia

Let's be honest, with those two it's not even as clear how closely related anyone is in the first place. There's really only implication as is, which can be easily dealt with.

With Claude/Sylvia, it's about like as not they're not closely related at all. As for Holyn/Ayra, we don't know how closely related they are at all, and Sophara could be ruled by a distant branch, more distant than Rivough was. (Of course, keep in mind there's about 100 years between the background war and G1 of Geneology, so they do have enough time to work with imo). This series has already shown they're able to either avoid cousins marrying or dive right into it (this is the series with that revelation in Revelation after all).

If they want to make the point about this one being dark, I don't think they have to change much at all. Really the big one (Alvis/Deirdre), is such a big deal to the story that they would be pretty willing to keep it (See: Revelation). As for child hunts, they'd probably be willing to leave it as is.

As for Lachesis, she's considered young as well, so she might have to be aged up. Also keep in mind that G1 is over the course of several years itself, so they have that as something to work with when it comes to the cast's ages (Which includes Ethlyn, who's about 20 and has 2 kids by the end of G1).

3 hours ago, Shin said:

They'd probably turn Holyn and Ayra, Claude and Sylvia along with Alvis and Deirdre into "distant" relatives. It doesn't really have a huge impact on things, since it's only a narrative detail. Sylvia and Dew would probably be aged up and their convos tweaked. A few of the cousin marriages from gen 2 might be dropped too, perhaps with the mentions of the child hunts. Otherwise, I can't imagine anything to be too objectionable.

Holyn/Ayra has no textual evidence that they're closely related at all, so much as just both descendants of Odo--similar to how Eldigan was descended from a side branch of Hezul (in terms of throne inheritance---iirc i read somewhere that Eldigan's Hezul branch was from the youngest daughter who got the major blood) and actually not too closely related to Chagall. 

Claude/Sylvia does have that one little bit of textual implication, so i can see that removed (or not)--not like it's very impactful on the overall plot either way. 

Edited by Thor Odinson

They'll PG the Cigyun backstory up, age Dew up, and do the same thing that they did with Owain X Lucina to anyone who tries to marry cousins in gen 2. The incest is a giant plot point so I can't imagine they'll work around it. It's probably fine as it's a lesson on why incest is bad.

I think they will find a way around the incest. Cannot think of anything at the moment but they will probably change every lore relationship imaginable to make it work and simply ignore whatever can cause issues.

Like disregarding the Cygun backstory and simply making most characters not related.

I forgot though... What happened to Owain x Lucina?

3 hours ago, MadJak91 said:

I think they will find a way around the incest. Cannot think of anything at the moment but they will probably change every lore relationship imaginable to make it work and simply ignore whatever can cause issues.

Like disregarding the Cygun backstory and simply making most characters not related.

I forgot though... What happened to Owain x Lucina?

They got listed as "companions" instead of husband/wife.

1 minute ago, fangpoint333 said:

They got listed as "companions" instead of husband/wife.

Riiiight. I remember now! Thanks! GameFAQs was joking about it back then, haha.

Were they the only pair? I am not sure. Depends on how you pair though so I guess not.

21 hours ago, fangpoint333 said:

age Dew up

Sylvia would as well. 

I can assume they would both turn 18? They did that Lyn too.

On 14.6.2017 at 10:29 PM, The Baroness of Blainswal said:

Nintendo was really strict on religion at the time, so I doubt they would use the term "Holy" to describe anything in game. I mean, Final Fantasy VI had to rename a spell to Pearl for that very reason

Nintendo Power translated the title as "Descend of Jihad", which seems a bit unfitting. Speaking of FF6, it had an esper named Crusader, so if FE4 had been localised, a title like "Descend of Crusade" would have been fair game.

Since there's quite a bit of incest possible in the second gen (most infamously the cousins who are half-siblings from a genetical standpoint), I imagine many possible pairings being censored.