Monster Hunter World

The DanMan

Easily the biggest surprise of E3 thus far. Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in early 2018, PC at a latter date.

Day and night cycles, entirely new regions, greater emphasis on manipulating the environment, drop in/drop out online, and a community manager confirmed all 14 weapon types and potions/stamina/sharpening are staying around. The game director is also the project planner from 4.

Considering sales projections are a respectively meager 1.5 million and the rumors that Sony moneyhatted away its chances of appearing on the Switch (along with the series' devs being dissatisfied with it and work on a new Switch title already well under way), I'm not sure what to think of it. They're keeping a lot of stuff, but the new stuff has potential to go very wrong. Also, hopefully arts and styles are confirmed (I can't see the former not making it in, considering they appear in some form in both MMOs and various spinoffs), though there's always MH5.

I will say: I hate the monster design. Take Anjanath, for instance. It's a feathery T-rex with a frill on its head... that also has back fins and breathes fire. Why would it have fins? Even though it was shown sliding around near bodies of water, the fins do nothing unless it striaght-up swims in water over its head. And why would it need to breathe fire if it hunted underwater? Thematically it makes no sense. Main series monsters tied concepts tightly together and don't do anything so contradictory. 

Another thing I'm scared of is the rumor that XX won't get localized because Capcom wants to exclusively promote World. But that's veering into another subject.
From Serenes' (likely) biggest Monster Hunter fan: thoughts?

if Sony's moneyhating generations 2 then why is this game comming out on the Xbone

further more it's only a few hours untill Nintendo's E3, I wouldn't say something like that untill later

I'm kind of meh on the whole MH series, it's a love it or hate it kind of game

I don't really have something to say about what is capcom thinking about the future of Monster Hunter. I understand wanting to go out of the 3ds familly, but making your fanbase switch to different console is really annoying. 

But I must say that the annoucement for this game was really a surprise and, honestly, the best thing that came out of the sony press conference. That trailer looked really cool. 

Just a small thing to add: A NeoGAF leak which may be false claims that Monster Hunter World is essentially a "westernized" Monster Hunter with an open world, lots of QTEs, no quest system and a simplified combat.

My thought is that I'm kind of disappointed since I'm probably not be able to play it.

I don't own a PS4 or Xbox and all I have for PC is a laptop that most likely won't be able to handle the game. The only console I'm planning to buy is the Switch (since they've just announced Metroid Prime 4 and confirmed Xenoblade 2 is coming out this year) and there's no way I can afford another several hundred dollar console/PC just to play MH. 

Add that there was no announcement regarding XX for the west and I'm pretty depressed when it comes to my ability to play new MH games in the future.

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

if Sony's moneyhating generations 2

It's not that. It's effectively the next main installment.
And they paid to fund SFV yet that ended up on PC as well.

As you said, there is a possibility that some new gameplay feature may be totally unbalanced (say more than one environmental trap per zone). I sure also hope that Hunting Art and Hunting Style are back in order. 

@LuxSpes, true, I also fear that my poor 2014 gaming laptop will not be able to endure it but we will see about the specs needed.

As for the Monster design, it sure is a bit off when you point out everything like that. I guess the fin can be used for sensing but in this case it's most likely for intimidation (and to prevent us from making its armor/weapons because we didn't loot the damn thing by breaking it).

Overall, I'm fairly confident and I wait to see more.

Looking around at comments, I've seen equal share of people salty about Capcom seemingly abandoning Nintendo platforms and people saying the former should suck it up since it happened before when the series moved from Sony to Nintendo and that they're glad the game is no longer stuck on under-powered hardware.

I think the main thing that's depressing me is that MH World won't be portable and personally, I really prefer MH as a portable experience.

Add that apparently Capcom is disregarding XX to focus solely on World and I'm pretty bitter about this. So much so that it killed the hype high Metroid Prime 4's released had generated.

I'm honestly quite excited for Monster Hunter World since it looks pretty fun and the graphics look really good too.  I wonder what new weapon, if any, they'll have in store for us.  Considering it looks like there's a machine gun-esque weapon in the trailer.  And I'm excited to see what kind of monsters are going to be in too.

I do agree that Monster Hunter just feels better and feels right as a portable game, but I'm not opposed to it being on consoles and PC.  Portability does make it better in my opinion solely because Monster Hunter is such a grindy game that portability will just be better for the grindiness.

1 hour ago, MediocreLee said:

I'm honestly quite excited for Monster Hunter World since it looks pretty fun and the graphics look really good too.  I wonder what new weapon, if any, they'll have in store for us.  Considering it looks like there's a machine gun-esque weapon in the trailer.  And I'm excited to see what kind of monsters are going to be in too.

I do agree that Monster Hunter just feels better and feels right as a portable game, but I'm not opposed to it being on consoles and PC.  Portability does make it better in my opinion solely because Monster Hunter is such a grindy game that portability will just be better for the grindiness.

My issue is that they've pretty much confirmed that they aren't going to bring XX to the West-- which sets up an unfortunate precedence of fragmenting their player base between Japan and everywhere else. I'm afraid when the next Monster Hunter comes out on the Switch in a year or two they won't localize it.

Capcom's just crapping on the people who made the series a million seller in the West and won't even throw them a bone.

It's true that I'm also worried that with the release of MHW we will now have two separate "games" and thus two separate communities but I don't think this will be bad at all.

But it is, in my opinion, nearly impossible that MH5 will not be localized. And hell even if it isn't the Nintendo Switch isn't region locked (of course this is valuable if MH5 does come out on Nintendo Switch).

Edited by Ycine

5 hours ago, Ycine said:

It's true that I'm also worried that with the release of MHW we will now have two separate "games" and thus two separate communities but I don't think this will be bad at all.

But it is, in my opinion, nearly impossible that MH5 will not be localized. And hell even if it isn't the Nintendo Switch isn't region locked (of course this is valuable if MH5 does come out on Nintendo Switch).

Everything seems to point toward MHW being MH5 in everything but name. It's developed by the main MH team which made every main numbered game and capcom confirmed it is the next main MH game.

The best hope we have for a MH on Switch in the future is that the B team (who made the portable ports of every MH game) will make a portable version of MHW on the Switch since it's the only portable console on the market at the moment.

I still don't know if I can get into the MH series.

But I guess if anything will, it will be the PC version, so I guess here's to hoping.

It seems Capcom is aware that their tweets made it sound like XX in the west sounded like a no go. They just sent out a twitter on their main account stating: Just to clarify: our official response is we have not announced any plans to localize MHXX at this time. 

So we shouldn't give up hope just yet on that front. People also brought up that there was nothing about MH Stories this E3, so it may be possible that Nintendo will host a MH focused direct later this year with details regarding MH Stories and an announcement regarding XX's localization. We have to keep in mind the Switch version isn't out in Japan yet and they could very well wait for that and only release the Switch version in the west.

9 hours ago, Slumber said:

I still don't know if I can get into the MH series.

But I guess if anything will, it will be the PC version, so I guess here's to hoping.

For core gameplay changes, all they're really doing is screwing around with item animations and making them more lenient. It's largely the same besides that with a few extra trappings for larger areas.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

For core gameplay changes, all they're really doing is screwing around with item animations and making them more lenient. It's largely the same besides that with a few extra trappings for larger areas.

I don't know where you got the impression that the core game play was what turned me off based on that post.

The whole part where you run through the same handful of instanced areas over and over and over was part of the reason the series turned me off. The other reason is that the games are mostly handheld.

The last one I tried was Tri, since it was on a console, and I quickly ran into problem number 1 with that one, and gave up completely after a solid 8 hours of trying to enjoy it. 

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I don't know where you got the impression that the core game play was what turned me off based on that post.

The whole part where you run through the same handful of instanced areas over and over and over was part of the reason the series turned me off. The other reason is that the games are mostly handheld.

The last one I tried was Tri, since it was on a console, and I quickly ran into problem number 1 with that one, and gave up completely after a solid 8 hours of trying to convince myself that I don't need a game with a fully realized world the play in. 

Well, they've made areas larger and have hallways that mask loading rather than load screens...

A lot of people are just turned off by the core gameplay, which is why I assumed it held true for you.

Ambivalent about this. Open connected areas are something I've wanted for a while, but the gameplay looks off and I won't be buying anything to play it on anytime soon.

Can't imagine Switch doesn't get an international original release by the end of 2018.

3 minutes ago, a bear said:

Ambivalent about this. Open connected areas are something I've wanted for a while, but the gameplay looks off and I won't be buying anything to play it on anytime soon.

Can't imagine Switch doesn't get an international original release by the end of 2018.

At this point, my only hope for playing World is if they release MH World Portable for the Switch down the line.

It reminds me a little bit of Dragon's Dogma, but now in the Monster Hunter universe (the open world aspect and hunting down big creatures).

I may pick it up for PC, but I am a little saddened that Monster Hunter XX may not be localized for the Switch. I only played Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii and 3G on the 3DS, and a part of me wants to get back into Monster Hunter again.

All I can do is wait and see what happens. Knowing my luck, it'll probably be thrown onto the ever-growing backlog of games and by the time I feel like playing, a new one will be announced...

1 hour ago, Sire said:

It reminds me a little bit of Dragon's Dogma, but now in the Monster Hunter universe (the open world aspect and hunting down big creatures).

I may pick it up for PC, but I am a little saddened that Monster Hunter XX may not be localized for the Switch. I only played Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii and 3G on the 3DS, and a part of me wants to get back into Monster Hunter again.

All I can do is wait and see what happens. Knowing my luck, it'll probably be thrown onto the ever-growing backlog of games and by the time I feel like playing, a new one will be announced...

Heck, it's not even really open world. There's still separate maps composed of numbered zones-- the zones are just a bit bigger and they have transition areas instead of loading screens.

Here is a link to the presentation that just append.

I don't know if the video will be up for long but anyway you may take a look.

PS : The hunt start approximately at 42 minutes.

Already saw it (as well as the leaked footage, so not much new).

My opinion seems to be pretty firmly established-- glad they're keeping the core gameplay, but the additional mechanics and large map size simply seem like so much bloat that detracts from the game.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:15 PM, LuxSpes said:

Looking around at comments, I've seen equal share of people salty about Capcom seemingly abandoning Nintendo platforms

Me