FE Warriors E3 Trailer

13 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

I talked to some people... and I think my problem with the game is that it's a Warriors game, and not its own action RPG or action game.

A few people have thrown around the word "mindless" to describe the combat in the warriors series. I guess it's just the way Warriors gameplay is, the one character taking on several hundred enemies at once with ease, doesn't look fun or engaging to me.

I don't want to pre-judge the game without trying it, but maybe the Warriors type game just isn't for me.

A demo would probably help me tell. Or maybe I could borrow Hyrule Warriors from a friend if there's no demo and see how that sits.

Can't say I'm excited but at least I'll look forward to the roster reveals as they happen. I'll see...

Im personally not a fan of the over the top killing 200 people in one strike style either personally, though I excuse the Warriors series a bit for it because they are literally based on that. Its kind of their thing, over the top hack and slash action. To a certain extent it reminds me of the Diablo series in third person. I am personally really interested because its Fire Emblem. Just the chance to run around as these characters is enough to get me excited. Even if it was just these few characters that were announced I would still already have my pre order placed. I also like some of the strategic elements they are throwing in, I really want to see them explain that a little more later.

From what Jedi and a few others have said though, the series may look mindless on the outside but there is a lot to it. Kind of like how Diablo likes to mix in a lot of enemies with added attributes and abilities. Among the bunch of basic demonic creatures you may have 5-8 in there with the ability to do AoE damage, multiply damage of others, or reincarnate. The game may have a ton of enemies to smash through, but it definitely doesnt lack strategy and difficulty. Warriors reminds me of that. There is strategy and difficulty to these games, keep in mind that they only showed what would probably be a demo/beginning map. One to get the general idea across and the base gameplay out there for show. Im sure the game will be a lot more difficult later. Afterall, all those enemies were just the base class, there wasnt a single promoted enemy outside of Xander to be found.

Edited by Tolvir

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

I talked to some people... and I think my problem with the game is that it's a Warriors game, and not its own action RPG or action game.

A few people have thrown around the word "mindless" to describe the combat in the warriors series. I guess it's just the way Warriors gameplay is, the one character taking on several hundred enemies at once with ease, doesn't look fun or engaging to me.

I don't want to pre-judge the game without trying it, but maybe the Warriors type game just isn't for me.

A demo would probably help me tell. Or maybe I could borrow Hyrule Warriors from a friend if there's no demo and see how that sits.

Can't say I'm excited but at least I'll look forward to the roster reveals as they happen. I'll see...

(I'm really hoping to see Lyn, Eirika, and Hinoka)

Not every genre is going to sit well with everyone. It's understandable if you don't end up liking it. 

When you get a chance to play something Warriors, if you don't feel that empowering catharsis of chopping through the peons while going after officers to complete map objectives, or feel truly immersed in tense grand battle, then it probably isn't for you.

9 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

(I'm really hoping to see Lyn, Eirika, and Hinoka)

From how you put this it does seem that a Warriors game isn't your cup of tea and that's fine. I don't agree but I do find it easy to see why people would conclude the series just isn't for them.

But I will say that one character mindlessly slaying the whole map by himself isn't quite accurate. You generally lose if you just mash the A buttons. One of the things you have to do is juggle multiple objectives at the same time and judge which one is more important. You may find yourself in the situation where you have two objectives. Doing one will give you a reward while failing the other will summon reinforcement that will overwhelm and kill the allies you need to complete the map. You can either take the risk and go for the reward, then rush to do the other objective or play it safe.

So it sounds like there are some strategy elements and there's some more depth to the gameplay in terms of the broader decisions you make and the forces you lead... Considerations beyond your immediate combat, stretching out to the broader battles and map objectives. Interesting.

I was thinking differently, more in terms of the direct combat.

Being unfamiliar with the Warriors series, I think my expectations were misplaced.

I was hoping for a more precise, methodical, meticulous, calculated combat system, where blocking, parrying, dodging, sidestepping, countering, timing, and attack choice and direction all matter. A lot more focus on one-on-one and small group combat within the larger army fights, as opposed to you taking on entire armies by yourself. That's what I would have enjoyed, I think.

Something more in the vein of Dark Souls - probably the best example of action weapon fighting I enjoyed. Or maybe more like Assassin's Creed, where even you fight large groups of enemies you sort of isolate them and take on them one at time. Or maybe even action-RPG style like Dragon Age 2, where combat was mechanically basic but you had a lot of different attack abilities to select from and use for various effects. I'm not saying I was expecting Fire Emblem Souls, I just mean in terms of the combat mechanics, I had very different hopes and expectations, being ignorant of how the Warriors series worked.

What we saw was... radically different from what I was hoping/expecting.

Anyway, that's just my rambling. I'll try and keep an open mind; the Warriors style game may or may not be for me.

The game play was enjoyable. The graphics were nice, in my opinion, though I can understand the issue some people may have with it.

Even though I haven't played a Warriors game in, like, forever, I can say with surety that a lot of the strategy and difficulty comes down to micromanaging the battlefield and dispatching bosses as quickly as possible. There is usually a lot of running around involved, and it can get pretty hectic when things get going. When it comes to fighting enemies, one-on-one matches are usually between commanders and bosses; the mooks are there typically as either filler, side objectives or, more often, nuisances. There is a lot of juggling involved in the fighting; timing is actually key on some of the higher difficulties, but, like any game, it can be quite hard when your characters are really weak in the beginning. The earlier Warriors games were a bit better when it came to emphasis on one-on-one brawls - officers were even able to call you out and challenge you to a duel - but the newer games seemed to have an emphasis on decimating entire forces.

Someone once equated a Warriors to Superman, saying something similar to "yeah, superman is the strongest, but he can only be in a single place at time." This mainly describes the player's role in the game - you'll be the strongest on the field and you'll likely do the bulk of the work, but there are only so many things you can do at once and it gets chaotic when you add in powered up bosses that don't die as quick as their lackeys. Hell, I remember one of the Warriors games out right punishing you for trying to be in several places at once dw5 i will never forget.

That said, Warriors games are incredibly niche and tend to fall into a "love it or hate it" spectrum from what I can tell - there is seldom any in between, unfortunately. 

Edited by saisymbolic

Not sure how others feel, but the characters shown didn't really seem to have very different movesets from each other except for Corrin occasionally using dragon power. After making a statement that they didn't want too many sword users, I think they could've made the ones they did include more distinct. I mean, Ryoma has a lightning sword and Xander has a horse, yet they all seem to play basically the same.

After the cast announcement and this presentation I'm definitely fine waiting on this game now.

The combat blew me away. I'm a sucker for Warriors games, and this looks fantastic. It looks like it inherited a couple gameplay mechanics from Samurai Warriors, so hopefully it keeps that up.

SW/DW crossover costume dlc when?

25 minutes ago, flare9 said:

Hopefully amiibo compatibility means alm celica roy and ike are playable

I half agree. Yes it hopefully means the other FE Amiibo are compatible, but I don't want to have to use my Ike Amiibo to unlock him, I would rather Ike be in the base game or a DLC download while his Amiibo gives him a new costume or weapon. Hyrule Warriors didn't lock any characters behind Amiibo, so I hope FE Warriors doesn't do that either.

Impressions:

-Not thrilled with HW-style side mission pop-ups that halt everything.

-Everybody seems to have the same sword trail effects.

-Classes are listed. Are they flavor, or...?

-F!Corrin: Keeping up the legacy of DW7 Lianshi in the running department. 

-Xander's horse has got the stupid-looking antigravity spins from Awakening and Fates

-I spy Warriors Orochi-style assists (occasionally pop out for a quick attack when hit).

-If that lady says "husband" one more time...

46 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Not sure how others feel, but the characters shown didn't really seem to have very different movesets from each other except for Corrin occasionally using dragon power. After making a statement that they didn't want too many sword users, I think they could've made the ones they did include more distinct. I mean, Ryoma has a lightning sword and Xander has a horse, yet they all seem to play basically the same.

After the cast announcement and this presentation I'm definitely fine waiting on this game now.

Eh, the Twins are going to be jacks of all trades-- we knew that much. Chrom seems to be power focused, and Ryoma has a lot of quick, precise strikes. The charge attacks are where their differences shine. And heck, Corrin had plenty of aerial kicks in her (gonna have to get used to that) basic attack string.

While I would've gladly preferred a greater variety shown up-front, they all have distinct differences.

I do like the Chrom and the Tiki amiibos and the graphics from Fire Emblem Warriors. It's nice to see they managed to get the English voice acting back in Fire Emblem Warriors.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Bleh, Chrom and Tiki Amiibo. Don't care about them at all. Give me Ryoma and Ike and you'll get my money. Also, screw the lady for her Ryoma hate. Guess what lady, I hate Xander and can't wait to rip him apart!

Awesome gameplay though! I just wish we'd see more characters than the ones we've known about for like...ever. xP

And the horse gameplay makes me want Freddy even more now.

Wait, are you referring to the scene where the lady commented how the leaf looked beautiful in the game, but the leaf was cutted down by Ryoma?

Also, I just wondered if the horse flip will be only used for Cavaliers, Paladins, Dark Knights, Bow Knights, and non-armored Horses? I don't know if the Great Knight horses will might work in the Flipping Animation like we saw with Xander's horse? Do horses can really flip like Xander's horse, I did asked my mother that can horses really flip and she doesn't recall hearing that before before I did showed the Xander gameplay that she's really surprised.

Edited by King Marth 64

49 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I half agree. Yes it hopefully means the other FE Amiibo are compatible, but I don't want to have to use my Ike Amiibo to unlock him, I would rather Ike be in the base game or a DLC download while his Amiibo gives him a new costume or weapon. Hyrule Warriors didn't lock any characters behind Amiibo, so I hope FE Warriors doesn't do that either.

Good news, they said all FE amiibo are compatible. This does lift up my hopes for Roy (only slightly though).

3 minutes ago, Blade_of_Light said:

Good news, they said all FE amiibo are compatible. This does lift up my hopes for Roy (only slightly though).

Ups my hopes for Ike too! Though I still hope that he's not actually locked behind his Amiibo.

19 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, are you referring to the scene where the lady commented how the leaf looked beautiful in the game, but the leaf was cutted down by Ryoma?

...What leaf? I was mainly referring to how she kept mentioning that she loves Xander and that he's her "husband" and then thanks the other guy for using Xander to kill Ryoma. JUST Ryoma. She didn't mention any other character.

The treehouse live is to far ahead for me... so i entirely missed the fire emblem portion of the video. does anyone have a link to the video that just specifically shows off the fire emblem part?

I doubt that the amiibo will be used to unlock any characters; in Hyrule Warriors Link's amiibo only unlocked a new weapon, and the others either gave a random weapon for that character (if it was a Zelda character amiibo) or a random item/Rupees (for every other amiibo).

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...What leaf? I was mainly referring to how she kept mentioning that she loves Xander and that he's her "husband" and then thanks the other guy for using Xander to kill Ryoma. JUST Ryoma. She didn't mention any other character.

I'm pretty sure that she was just playing up Xander and Ryoma's rivalry for comedic value, not because she actually dislikes him.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

I doubt that the amiibo will be used to unlock any characters; in Hyrule Warriors Link's amiibo only unlocked a new weapon, and the others either gave a random weapon for that character (if it was a Zelda character amiibo) or a random item/Rupees (for every other amiibo).

I'm pretty sure that she was just playing up Xander and Ryoma's rivalry for comedic value, not because she actually dislikes him.

I agree on the Amiibo thing.

Oh, yeah, I guess that's possible.

1 hour ago, Blade_of_Light said:

Woo, one step closer to Lucina and (hopefully) Male Robin!

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

I would be okay with a special weapon.