The best, and worst, continents to live in.

Flee Fleet!

So yeah. What the title says. The continents, iirc, are:

Archanea

Valentia

Judgral

Elibe

Magvel

Tellius

And the continent in Fates

I think that's all of them. Tell me if I missed one.

Worst thats a tough call actually.  In fates half of it is in perpetual darkness with little ariable farmland so better hope you live on the right side. Tellius is basically in a giant perpetual race war and has a god that can flood the continent at will.  Archanea and Elibe have dragons that wanna kill everything though all things considered Elibe probably is the safer one I guess since Archanea has Risen and such.  Magvel falls more or less into the same boat (at least I think).  Sure Valentia has wars and all but hey its in the middle ages theres a new one each week so I guess I'll go with that one.

Don't know enough about Judgral....

On 6/13/2017 at 0:53 PM, LordOTaco said:

Don't know enough about Judgral....

Take your pick of a 7-way Game of Thrones-esque pissing contest(Grannvale), being ruled by barbarians(Verdane), Mad Kings(Augustria), sickly queens(Silesse), a great politics mess-up(Isaach), corrupt and debaucherous nobles(Manster), Nohr done right(Thracia), and a puppet state(Miletos), I don't there is any worse a continent than Jugdral, especially when it involves the Corrupt Church and its Sinister Minister.

On the other hand, I would say that living in Elibe probably wasn't that bad before the Black Fang went bad, and was also sort of okay before and after the Disturbance of Bern. The rest are shit, especially Tellius. I might give a pass to Magvel, though, even though half of Grado is going to fall into the sea.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Elibe is probably the best. Ilia is a little short on food (the Western Isles probably doesn't have that much either), and Nabata isn't very inhabitable, but beyond that, what is wrong with it? Politically it's fairly stable, and the dragon threat has been eradicated, plus they don't degenerate even if they're around.

The worst? Tellius's race issues and potential for divine punishment remains even at the end of RD. The other games generally have all their big problems resolved by the end, though degenerate dragons continue to haunt Archanea.

I actually think Magvel might be the best continent to live on. I mean, after all, everything that went wrong there was because:

Spoiler

Lyon thought that using the Sacred Stone of Grado, that had the freaking Dark Dragon sealed inside, to apparently heal and help others, would be a good idea. "It's not like there's any risk of accidentally releasing the evil dragon herp a derp".

Otherwise it was fairly peaceful. Then again, I haven't played SS for a long time so there may have been problems?

Just now, Flee Fleet! said:

Otherwise it was fairly peaceful. Then again, I haven't played SS for a long time so there may have been problems?

I don't recall there being any. But you'd think there would have to have been some conflict in the past for Jehanna to be a land of mercenaries and for Carcino to suddenly gain independence. No dragons, and monsters appear to have been mostly a Darkling Woods thing, with a few elsewhere, but nothing excessive or threatening so as long as the DK stayed dead.

Elibe is probably the best continent to live on. It seems to be fairly politically stable both before and after the Black Fang and the war with Bern, there aren't rapidly degenerating dragons running around, and there also aren't horrible abominations or undead sprouting out of nowhere. Magvel is probably second best for similar reasons, but loses points because monster outbreaks are possible.

The worst is probably tied between Jugdral, for the reasons Hylian Air Force mentioned, and Tellius, between Ashunera and her two halves running wild and the racial conflicts brewing between the beorc and the laguz.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But you'd think there would have to have been some conflict in the past for Jehanna to be a land of mercenaries and for Carcino to suddenly gain independence.

Jehanna probably became a land of mercs for the same reason Ilia did, little arable land and a population that needed to be fed (in fact, Jehanna is basically Ilia but in a desert, given Magvel's backstory). Given its close ties with Freila and its status as a merchant republic, Carcino probably didn't gain its independence in a violent revolt.

Edited by AzureSen

Best would probably be Elibe or Magvel. There's little indication that those continents have anything worse than bandits 99% of the time. 

Then in the middle you have Archanea and Tellius. Archanea has some messed up stuff, but it comes to a head, and is more or less dealt with in a few years. Then for 2000 years, it's relative peace, until the Plegia/Ylisse war, followed by the Valm/Ylisse war, and then the revelation of a giant evil dragon that gets dealt with before it becomes a problem. Again, this all happens quickly.

Tellius meanwhile, seems like it's liveable. The racism and segregation sucks, and it seems like there's always wars brewing, but it seems like unless you live in Daein, it's survivable. If you live in Daein, it seems like life totally sucks. You do get Ashunera/Ashera being crazy and threatening all life, but those conflicts get settled quickly, and in the case of Ashera, most of the population isn't even aware it happens. 

Jugdral would have to be the worst. It's CONSTANTLY at war, and the leaders of each nation are basically super humans. Even ignoring the crazy religious cult that rounded up and killed many children all across the continent for 20 years, the continent is already fucked. But add in that crazy cult, and it gets even worse. Thracia might be the single worst place in the franchise to live. 

Valm/Valentia is kind of hard to place. It seems like life was good when Duma and Mila arrived, then it got shitty. Then it was good for 2000 years, then it was shitty again, before presumably being good again. 

Edited by Slumber

I suppose it is going to depend on when and where we're talking about. All continents have their ups and downs. Even Jugdral has its upsides, like during Alvis's early reign for example. Although it is indeed leaning more to downs, at least during the time the Loptyr Cult was a thing. Not much is told before and after, so it might have been a decent place to live in, otherwise. Who knows.

If these choices are all assuming during the events of the games, then I'm gonna pass on Tellius. Because I know I won't be one of the chosen ones, and I just can't place my faith in Meg and Lyre to save the world. The Ylisse version of Akaneia too. I seen those cutscenes of Chrom and Lucina fighting Risen and that looks terrifying. At least brigands can be tricked or reasoned with, but the Risen are 28 days later plus axes. Valentia totally sucks too. In Rigel women are kidnapped and turned into witches, and Zofia's going through a drought and civil war.

Elibe in FE7 timeline is probably the best. If you're not a brave and strong warrior or a corrupt noble, then you probably won't be targeted by the Black Fang or Nergal's cronies for your quintessence. Plus there's just the nicest band of pirates under Captain Fargus, and even Bern appears a hospitable nation at this point.

Edited by Gustavos

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I suppose it is going to depend on when and where we're talking about. All continents have their ups and downs. Even Jugdral has its upsides, like during Alvis's early reign for example. Although it is indeed leaning more to downs, at least during the time the Loptyr Cult was a thing. Not much is told before and after, so it might have been a decent place to live in, otherwise. Who knows.

It seems that Neir/Dozel and Dain/Thracia were basically always causing trouble in Jugdral, and it seems like many smaller conflicts were happening all throughout Jugdral. Kingdoms were using mercenary groups to siege other kingdoms, without the Lopto sect. Sigurd basically used the Aideen deal as an excuse to basically try to take out the trouble makers of Jugdral, which, we all know where that led, but it seems like constant warfare was the Jugdral way.

The ending of FE4, as far as I could tell, also doesn't give a "And the continent thrived for thousands of years" like other FEs tend to do, which is... less than inspiring for Jugdral's future. There's really no indication that Jugdral would be better off after the Loptyr sect than it was before the Loptyr sect, which again, constant warfare. Though the Neir line outside of Iuchar/Iucharba has all been killed off, and Thracia was finally unified, so the two biggest shit starters in Jugdral were dealt with, so it probably is a bit better off.

Edited by Slumber

17 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Take your pick of a 7-way Game of Thrones-esque pissing contest, being ruled by barbarians, Mad Kings, sickly queens, a great politics mess-up, corrupt and debaucherous nobles, Nohr done right, and a puppet state, I don't there is any worse a continent than Jugdral, especially when it involves the Corrupt Church and its Sinister Minister.

On the other hand, I would say that living in Elibe probably wasn't that bad before the Black Fang went bad, and was also sort of okay before and after the Disturbance of Bern. The rest are shit, especially Tellius. I might give a pass to Magvel, though, even though half of Grado is going to fall into the sea.

Welp that easily takes the cake then.

8 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Plus there's just the nicest band of pirates under Captain Fargus, and even Bern appears a hospitable nation at this point.

Totally forgot about that.  Elibe wins as the best.

Edited by LordOTaco

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

It seems that Neir/Dozel and Dain/Thracia were basically always causing trouble in Jugdral, and it seems like many smaller conflicts were happening all throughout Jugdral. Kingdoms were using mercenary groups to siege other kingdoms, without the Lopto sect. Sigurd basically used the Aideen deal as an excuse to basically try to take out the trouble makers of Jugdral, which, we all know where that led, but it seems like constant warfare was the Jugdral way.

The ending of FE4, as far as I could tell, also doesn't give a "And the continent thrived for thousands of years" like other FEs tend to do, which is... less than inspiring for Jugdral's future. There's really no indication that Jugdral would be better off after the Loptyr sect than it was before the Loptyr sect, which again, constant warfare. Though the Neir line outside of Iuchar/Iucharba has all been killed off, and Thracia was finally unified, so the two biggest shit starters in Jugdral were dealt with, so it probably is a bit better off.

Hm? Where was that all stated? The official timeline only mentions the Grann Kingdom, and it's transition into a Republic, but without specifying how (all this happening throughout 400~ or so years). And that's it, before it mentions Bishop Galle and the Loptyr stuff begins.

As for afterwards... well, that's not something FE does, actually. For Archanea and Valm, we only find out of their long relative peaces until Awakening. Jugdral, Elibe, and Magvel don't speak up about the far future (and considering the Grado megaquake, Magvel probably became worse rather than better at least short-term). Tellius is like the only one, from the unlockable final scene saying 1200 years passed before another big conflict spinring up. No idea on the Fates continent.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hm? Where was that all stated? The official timeline only mentions the Grann Kingdom, and it's transition into a Republic, but without specifying how (all this happening throughout 400~ or so years). And that's it, before it mentions Bishop Galle and the Loptyr stuff begins.

As for afterwards... well, that's not something FE does, actually. For Archanea and Valm, we only find out of their long relative peaces until Awakening. Jugdral, Elibe, and Magvel don't speak up about the far future (and considering the Grado megaquake, Magvel probably became worse rather than better at least short-term). Tellius is like the only one, from the unlockable final scene saying 1200 years passed before another big conflict spinring up. No idea on the Fates continent.

Thracia was a barren country that thrived on war, because they had nothing. Granted, this might be a new thing because Trabant is basically a charismatic warlord, but the country is depicted as being the chaotic neutral of Jugdral, fighting whenever it benefited them. Dozel, meanwhile, as suggested by Lex and Lewyn, was full of rat bastards who would jump to war at the drop of a hat, and Lewyn implies that it has been like that for a long time.

Again, it's never stated that Jugdral was just always at war, but the attitudes of Thracia and Dozel, and the things said about them, suggest that their actions after shit with the Lopto sect goes down aren't out of character.

Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

Thracia was a barren country that thrived on war, because they had nothing. Granted, this might be a new thing because Trabant is basically a charismatic warlord, but the country is depicted as being the chaotic neutral of Jugdral, fighting whenever it benefited them. Dozel, meanwhile, as suggested by Lex and Lewyn, was full of rat bastards who would jump to war at the drop of a hat, and Lewyn implies that it has been like that for a long time.

Again, it's never stated that Jugdral was just always at war, but the attitudes of Thracia and Dozel, and the things said about them, suggest that their actions after shit with the Lopto sect goes down aren't out of character.

But was it so before it broke off from the rest of the peninsula? The peninsula was one country (or lack of any, I'd guess) at some point before the time of Nova and Dain, or so. Also, Dozel as we know it can only date back to Granbelle's foundation, which was in the time of the 12 Crusaders. That leaves lots of time before.

But yeah, their actions can be considered actions of their own.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Archania still has quite a few dragons lurking around apparently and a good amount of them aren't friendly.

Valentia was bad during the whole Duma/Mila split as you had two extremes which would inevitably lead to war. Occasionally horrible monsters will come out and terrorize the land.

Jugdral has that evil cult which sinks their influence everywhere and has the highest percentage of scumbag lords.

Elibe has more bandits than every other land it seems, and at least two lands seem unfit for human life. Three or four lands seem pretty decent though

Magvel has most of the leaders being all buddy with each other or at least their kids are. Occasionally horrible monsters will come out and terrorize the land though.

Tellius has two gods that can potentially wipe out all life if they're in a bad mood and a massive race war. Also the most powerful country has a super corrupt government.

Ylisse has an entire country of evil cult followers who all hate their neighbors due to that one time they tried to genocide them. Occasionally they create horrible monsters and terrorize the land.

Whatever fates is i dunno. Both big powers are constantly at war with each other. One side is definitely more evil than the other.

Magvel is probably the best bet. Mostly because it's kinda boring and lacks gimmicks and it only has one game to expose any flaws.

This is assuming it's around the time their respective games take place, by the way.

Best: Magvel, unless you're in Grado. There may be some monsters, but otherwise it's a pretty decent place to live.

Worst: Valentia, no doubt. Both countries are at war, there are horrible monsters just about everywhere, the seas are mostly controlled by pirates, Zofia is going through a horrible drought/famine and just underwent a coup, and quite a few in Rigel are very much Social Darwinists (including the king).  It's not even that pleasant a place 2000 years later thanks to Walhart.

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Regarding Magvel, don't monsters only appear if any one of the Sacred Stones is destroyed? 

If I remember right, they were mostly contained to the Darkling Woods pre-game, then after the Demon King got out of the Stone of Grado they started appearing elsewhere.

Anyway, best I'd say would be post-FE6 Elibe, since the supernatural threats are entirely gone at the end of it (Jahn is dead, Idoun's recovering in Arcadia and is no longer threatening), the King of Etruria got his act together after Elphin/Myrddain came back, Bern is no longer being led by a maniac with daddy issues, Lycia is no longer crumbling at the seams because Lilina made it a kingdom again, etc.  

Worst, Jugdral for reasons already stated.

I guess "best" here means "Least-likely-to-die-in" huh? Assuming you mean by the end of their games, I will say Elibe, since the only other countries I am familiar with is Tellius (reasons have already been explained) and Fateslandia (I suppose Hoshido would be nice, but with the war and all).