Which Robin? (Poll Closed)

Arthur97

I just don't like Robin's sword abilities being forgotten. In any case, I imagine male Robin being more defensive until he learns his enemies style. Though female Robin seems more...rash and may appear more aggressive due to that.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, considering my avatar, I really REALLY hope its Male Robin. I don't like female Robin's default style and as a character it left a bad taste in my mouth that her supports with Chrom were changed from deep and nuanced to a literal anime romcom gig. (which is why M!Robin x Chrom is better )

Though if we get alts, I wouldn't object to Female Robin and Male Corrin at all.

Considering male Robin has always gotten the spotlight over female, I'd really like for her to get it for once, but I'm not expecting it. FE has always prioritized its male leads over female leads (with Sacred Stones arguably being the one exception), so seeing female Corrin is great, but I suspect it's only because of her extreme popularity. Male Robin isn't much more popular than female, but he is, so that will probably be enough for them to give him the spotlight again.

I expect we'll get male Robin; both to complement female Corrin, and because he's generally more popular (as this poll shows).

I'd also prefer male Robin, personally; no dislike for female Robin, I just prefer the male one's design by a lot. He rocks the longcoat way better.

I also happen to prefer female Corrin to male Corrin and hoped she would be used, so if I'm right about Robin I really lucked out on their choices. But then, male Corrin is pretty consistently unpopular. What an awkward design he has. :P

That being said, I'd definitely expect and hope that female Robin and male Corrin at least get in as alternate costumes, though with the extensive voicework that might not happen.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Male Robin is the more popular Robin. And even if that's false, he's the most recognisable and well known Robin.

I don't dislike any Robin, and I don't really care which one gets in. I do slightly prefer Male Robin, and if I were to choose, I would want Male Robin, if for no other reason than it would be less hassle with the fans who continuously cry "Waifu Emblem".

I'd care more if I hated either of their designs, like I do with Male Corrin, since that's really the only thing that differentiates them. He just seems so dopey to me. So, I'm glad we have Female Corrin, instead.

Edited by Frenzify

I think Male Robin will be default, but I love Female Robin, so I hope she'll be a Smash style alt at least.

On 6/13/2017 at 8:39 PM, Anacybele said:

I think it's more unfair that both genders of Corrin get Amiibo, but only the male Robin gets one. There ARE people that like female Robin and would buy her, Nintendo.

Honestly, I think that Nintendo isn't done with Smash amiibo. I wouldn't be surprised if we get other alts like FemRobin, Alph, Male Wii Fit Trainer, Shorts Samus, Underwear Shulk, etc. The Koopalings may not if only because they could just give them Mario Series amiibo figures.

There's also the possibility of FemRobin getting a FE Warriors amiibo if she does end up default.

Expecting male as default, expecting female as an alt. I doubt there'd be so much voicework compared to regular FE games, Smash, or Heroes for them to drop one of the defining aspects of avatars.

On 06/14/17 at 1:29 AM, Jedi said:

I think we'll get Male Robin as a balancing out between the two avatars.

Just a hunch I could be 100% wrong.

On 06/14/17 at 1:29 AM, MediocreLee said:

I think the more iconic and preferred Robin is the male one for whatever reason.  While I like both the default look of male and female Robin, I think male is slightly more iconic.

If anything, we can hope that the female Robin is a costume or vice versa same with Corrin.

I second these. My view is that they'll do a Smash and have the opposite sex of Corrin and Robin as costumes so as to appease both sides. It leaves me wondering if Morgan and Kana will be playable as costumes and if any children that share a class with their parent will just be a costume for them with different voices... I mean, there's Lucina over Chrom which could work well, Siegbert over Xander etc.

There's lots of interesting thoughts about this... 

1 hour ago, Light Strategist said:

I second these. My view is that they'll do a Smash and have the opposite sex of Corrin and Robin as costumes so as to appease both sides. It leaves me wondering if Morgan and Kana will be playable as costumes and if any children that share a class with their parent will just be a costume for them with different voices... I mean, there's Lucina over Chrom which could work well, Siegbert over Xander etc.

There's lots of interesting thoughts about this... 

The main problem I see with alt characters is the story mode. For that, these characters will need to be, well, that character.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

The main problem I see with alt characters is the story mode. For that, these characters will need to be, well, that character.

Only for the cutscenes, really. They could always put in a Flag for any gender/character alts to have it return to default if used or even keep it as is and call it 'comical' for the 'wrong' voice to come out lol

Granted, they could also write dialogue in such a way that attention is never called to Corrin or Robin's gender by other characters so that only their storyline voices need swapping.

Regardless, considering how the story is actually only a small part of any Warriors game, having something like that keep out something kind of defining like that would be a bit sad.

2 hours ago, Deva Ashera said:

Only for the cutscenes, really. They could always put in a Flag for any gender/character alts to have it return to default if used or even keep it as is and call it 'comical' for the 'wrong' voice to come out lol

Granted, they could also write dialogue in such a way that attention is never called to Corrin or Robin's gender by other characters so that only their storyline voices need swapping.

Regardless, considering how the story is actually only a small part of any Warriors game, having something like that keep out something kind of defining like that would be a bit sad.

What about Lucina for Chrom like someone suggested? It just would not work. Especially if you have one character in the cutscenes and another in the actual battle. Unless they lock out alts for story altogether, I imagine that costumes are all we're getting. 

20 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I don't get it.

Whats not to get? I'm giving a different option of, if Robin gets in the game, will be regular Robin , the playable avatar protagonist, or Grima!Robin, the possessed Avatar antagonist.

Or did you mean the JP names? The T in Reflet is silent. Pronounced REF-lay

EDIT, though now that I look it over, perhaps Gimle is the correct one for Grima

Edited by Motendra

7 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Whats not to get? I'm giving a different option of, if Robin gets in the game, will be regular Robin , the playable avatar protagonist, or Grima!Robin, the possessed Avatar antagonist.

Or did you mean the JP names? The T in Reflet is silent. Pronounced REF-lay

EDIT, though now that I look it over, perhaps Gimle is the correct one for Grima

I'm familiar with the Japanese Robin name (I've used it for female Robin before) it was Grima that threw me off. Grima may appear, but I kind of doubt that final bosses will appear.

3 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

What about Lucina for Chrom like someone suggested? It just would not work. Especially if you have one character in the cutscenes and another in the actual battle. Unless they lock out alts for story altogether, I imagine that costumes are all we're getting. 

Like I said, they could just default to the normal character model during cutscenes and even have that character appear in dialogue boxes during story missions if a character/gender alt is used.

It's not that jarring, it happens in Hyrule Warriors as well. After doing any story you can go into Free Play and use any character you'd like. Beyond that, it wouldn't be too jarring even in normal story mode because you know what character you chose to play as and the one chosen to play as usually doesn't have a role during the story mission. For example, if you chose to play as Zelda during the last story mission in Hyrule Warriors, Ruto will take Zelda's role even in the dialogue boxes changing all mention of Zelda to Ruto.

They could also disable costumes in story mode if they see it as an issue.

The story mode honestly won't be as much of a problem as it seems.

Edited by Deva Ashera

2 minutes ago, Deva Ashera said:

Like I said, they could just default to the normal character model during cutscenes and even have that character appear in dialogue boxes during story missions if a character/gender alt is used.

It's not that jarring, it happens in Hyrule Warriors as well. After doing any story you can go into Free Play and use any character you'd like. Beyond that, it wouldn't be too jarring even in normal story mode because you know what character you chose to play as and the one chosen to play as usually doesn't have a role during the story mission. For example, if you chose to play as Zelda during the last story mission in Hyrule Warriors, Ruto will take Zelda's role even in the dialogue boxes changing all mention of Zelda to Ruto.

They could also disable costumes in story mode if they see it as an issue.

The story mode honestly won't be as much of a problem as it seems.

But those are costumes, we're talking alternate characters here. It doesn't make sense to have one character in a bond conversation and then another in another conversation. The Robins may be the same character, but they aren't the same "person." It just makes no sense to have two different entities sharing scenes or randomly switching out after cutscenes. It bears no consistency.

5 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

But those are costumes, we're talking alternate characters here. It doesn't make sense to have one character in a bond conversation and then another in another conversation. The Robins may be the same character, but they aren't the same "person." It just makes no sense to have two different entities sharing scenes or randomly switching out after cutscenes. It bears no consistency.

They can, again, default to the normal look during those conversations.

We also don't know how those are going to work in this title yet.

Edited by Deva Ashera

2 minutes ago, Deva Ashera said:

They can, again, default to the normal look during those conversations.

We also don't know how those are going to work in this title yet.

It's a bit diferrent when we're  talking about alternate characters. Besides, to my knowledge, warriors games don't often have alt characters preferring to just makes clones.

They could just restrict them to their default sexes during the story for narrative purposes, and only allow for the opposite-sex alts in Free Play, Coliseum mode, ect. where it doesn't matter who the hell you're playing as.

4 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

They could just restrict them to their default sexes during the story for narrative purposes, and only allow for the opposite-sex alts in Free Play, Coliseum mode, ect. where it doesn't matter who the hell you're playing as.

Pretty much what I was thinking, honestly.

Yeah, I'm not really seeing why both of the genders for either Avatar can't make in the game. There's no real reason why they can't alternate costumes of each other. Then again these are the same people who said decide that having all main lords in the game would mean too many sword users therefore we should make the OC sword users.

53 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Yeah, I'm not really seeing why both of the genders for either Avatar can't make in the game. There's no real reason why they can't alternate costumes of each other. Then again these are the same people who said decide that having all main lords in the game would mean too many sword users therefore we should make the OC sword users.

Honestly, they're rather different from each other character-wise, but gameplay-wise they're extremely similiar. But here, I'd say it's the difference in character portrayal that'd make it hard for them to be costumes of one another because Supports is going to be in the game in a fashion, and the Robins (and honestly the Corrins too) behave extremely different in Supports.

3 hours ago, Folt said:

Honestly, they're rather different from each other character-wise, but gameplay-wise they're extremely similiar. But here, I'd say it's the difference in character portrayal that'd make it hard for them to be costumes of one another because Supports is going to be in the game in a fashion, and the Robins (and honestly the Corrins too) behave extremely different in Supports.

Finally! Someone else who sees their differences. Though I will admit that other than Lon'qu (for obvious reasons), Tiki, and Chrom most of the first gen supports are generally the same give or take a few lines with Vaike's being probably one of the most different. However, I think all of the Spotpass (except maybe Emmeryn) and second gen characters have completely different supports. Oddly enough, I think Female Robin's tend to be funnier while Male Robin's stray towards the serious.

As for gameplay, since the Robins are so versatile, they could theoretically add both as separate characters, but that would probably produce a good amount of salt.

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Finally! Someone else who sees their differences. Though I will admit that other than Lon'qu (for obvious reasons), Tiki, and Chrom most of the first gen supports are generally the same give or take a few lines with Vaike's being probably one of the most different. However, I think all of the Spotpass (except maybe Emmeryn) and second gen characters have completely different supports. Oddly enough, I think Female Robin's tend to be funnier while Male Robin's stray towards the serious.

As for gameplay, since the Robins are so versatile, they could theoretically add both as separate characters, but that would probably produce a good amount of salt.

I think it's more that Male Robin is a generally much calmer person. Female Robin tends to be somewhat passive-aggressive in her unique supports. That said, I think it makes it easier for Male Robin to contrast whoever he is supporting (f.ex. Chrom since he's rather hotheaded despite his somewhat "straight man" tendencies, Lucina since she's so bloody serious, his own daughter due to her being very... up in the clouds), and I have a generally easier time picturing the male Robin as a master tactician compared to the female one precisely because of his calmer nature.

And of course, I prefer him as a male since out of the three protagonists of Awakening, he's the only one who leans towards magic. And, subsequently, I like the idea of him and Lucina as a male and female sword-and-sorcerer pair where the girl is the fighter of the two since that's kind of uncommon in works of fiction.