E3 Gameplay

Tsak

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Contrariwise, the better developed characters of Tellius and such means less effort to try to come up with ideas for. Gatrie's in-battle quotes and overall styling have easy answers between his pickup artistry and gullibility. What does Draug/Macellan/Dolph/Roger/Lorenz have in comparison? And Merric, though certainly among the better Archaneans (and I like him), still has less, at best only as much, to go on compared to his archetypal successor Soren. And don't get me started on Lewyn.

Well, let's face it, "better developed" characters as you put it does not equate to likeable. I mean, I've played more older FE than new  (game wise, Awakening takes the cake for time) and I still prefer Awakening. I can't speak for everyone though. Besides, I'm not convinced that the older characters were as developed as some would have us believe. SD in particular seemed to have some of the dullest characters in the series. And I'm talking non-lords here.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, let's face it, "better developed" characters as you put it does not equate to likeable. I mean, I've played more older FE than new  (game wise, Awakening takes the cake for time) and I still prefer Awakening. I can't speak for everyone though. Besides, I'm not convinced that the older characters were as developed as some would have us believe. SD in particular seemed to have some of the dullest characters in the series. And I'm talking non-lords here.

There are duds even in Tellius, there are in all FE games. And SD is Archanea- the thing which Etrurian Emperor and I are criticizing.

Ilyana would be an atrocity in any FE, and then we get things like Vaida-Merlinus, which is fairly bad. Harken is also pretty dull. Geoffrey's obsession with Elincia is so bad he needs Calill to serve as his psychiatrist (dare I call him a male Cordelia/Faye who can actually potentially hook their desired catch?). RD's newbies get scant characterization. Lute-Knoll being bad I'll toss in too for an SS flaw.

Why are Awakening and Fates so lambasted then? Support glut? Heavier use of anime cliches? We can debate this and how much if any of the bashing is deserved.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Contrariwise, the better developed characters of Tellius and such means less effort to try to come up with ideas for. Gatrie's in-battle quotes and overall styling have easy answers between his pickup artistry and gullibility. What does Draug/Macellan/Dolph/Roger/Lorenz have in comparison? And Merric, though certainly among the better Archaneans (and I like him), still has less, at best only as much, to go on compared to his archetypal successor Soren. And don't get me started on Lewyn.

Roger is basically Gatrie's first form, Draug is the first armor, has tons of memes behind him and is also really well liked, and was featured in TMS. 

Lorenz is a tragic figure who gets killed off the raise the stakes of FE3, a noble veteran who just wants war to end but has to tragically pass his mission on to Marth, thats way more dimensional than Gatrie ever got. Whose entire character can be summed up in two words, Stupid Flirt. Then again thats basically every FE character, you can sum them up in around 2 to 5 words each. Some just talk more than others.

Edit: In hindsight that may have been a tad harsh, there are a few stand out examples, but not nearly as many as you'd want. 

I also wouldn't put Lewyn in the same archetype because he isn't childhood friends with the MC like Merric, Soren or Asvel are.

Edited by Jedi

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There are duds even in Tellius, there are in all FE games.

Agreed, and this is coming from someone that likes most of Tellius's cast. I think Ilyana is kind of cute, but otherwise, she's pretty flat and blah. Geoffrey is also pretty boring and his obsession with Elincia also bugs me because he appears to have pride and all as a knight, yet he cares more about Elincia than his country. A knight is supposed to be more loyal to his or her country and its people than anything, not just the ruler. His being able to marry Elincia also really bugs me because they're supposed to be step/foster siblings. As someone who grew up with step siblings herself, I see their pairing as if I married one of my stepbrothers. Which is just NO. xP It's one of many reasons I ship Ike x Elincia instead.

Mia is also a terrible character, imo. I don't get why she's popular at all. She's far too obsessed with swords and sparring and junk. Her design also burns my eyes. Well, not so much her clothes, but her colors. Whoever thought of combining purple hair with green eyes and an orange tunic must've had some very weird eyesight or something. Purple and orange can SOMETIMES look good, but not in this case. And especially not with green.

Nephenee is also another strangely popular, but flat and one-note character. I don't really dislike her, but her popularity still baffles me and she's really not that interesting. She's shy about her roots...and...that's it? Okay, whatever...

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Roger is basically Gatrie's first form, Draug is the first armor, has tons of memes behind him and is also really well liked, and was featured in TMS. 

Lorenz is a tragic figure who gets killed off the raise the stakes of FE3, a noble veteran who just wants war to end but has to tragically pass his mission on to Marth, thats way more dimensional than Gatrie ever got. Whose entire character can be summed up in two words, Stupid Flirt. Then again thats basically every FE character, you can sum them up in around 2 to 5 words each. Some just talk more than others.

I also wouldn't put Lewyn in the same archetype because he isn't childhood friends with the MC like Merric, Soren or Asvel are.

You're right. I concede I was wrong. Particularly on Lorenz and Lewyn- just stuck him in as being loosely Merric-ish with green hair and wind affinity, plus to mention a Jugdrali. I went a little too far trying to make a point.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There are duds even in Tellius, there are in all FE games. And SD is Archanea- the thing which Etrurian Emperor and I are criticizing.

Ilyana would be an atrocity in any FE, and then we get things like Vaida-Merlinus, which is fairly bad. Harken is also pretty dull. Geoffrey's obsession with Elincia is so bad he needs Calill to serve as his psychiatrist (dare I call him a male Cordelia/Faye who can actually potentially hook their desired catch?). RD's newbies get scant characterization. Lute-Knoll being bad I'll toss in too for an SS flaw.

Why are Awakening and Fates so lambasted then? Support glut? Heavier use of anime cliches? We can debate this and how much if any of the bashing is deserved.

You make a good point, though my main problem with SD is that we don't really get a chance to find the duds since there is almost no dialogue after they report to Marth.

But back to gameplay, I actually like the level up thing. Sure it may get old, but it's a nice touch that I can turn off if I get too annoyed.

So thieves are basically recon soldiers in this game, huh? Considering that some of the thieves the player gets are spies or are otherwise skilled in recon, I guess that fits.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're right. I concede I was wrong. Particularly on Lorenz and Lewyn- just stuck him in as being loosely Merric-ish with green hair and wind affinity, plus to mention a Jugdrali. I went a little too far trying to make a point.

I think I did as well, this entire topic has made us all a bit heated in some way or another, sorry about how aggressive I may have sounded.

29 minutes ago, DancingDanny said:

Anyone else hear Karen Strassman's voice during the Coliseum mode segment?

Anna as the announcer maybe? ;)

I recognised that as well.

Unlockable Anna through Colosseum please

I think the main issue with this gameplay is that it didn't really show me anything I haven't seen before. I hope they show the unique features more soon as, otherwise, I'll probably feel like I'm playing HW with a new pallete. *insert joke in advance about how every musuo game is the same*

I just saw gameplay of Marth. He wields the Light element and appears to have a gimmick similiar to Rapier!Zelda in Hyrule Warriors. He's also a speedy fencer.

Rowan shares some attacks with Lianna, but seems to mostly use his own unique attacks. He's in-your-face and aggressive compared to Lianna's significantly more careful fighting style. Curiously, Rowan's Magic stat seems actually on par with Lianna's, even though Lianna is the only one of the two to use something that makes use of Magic (Staves). Could this mean that Rowan might be able to use offensive magic as a back-up weapon?

Here's the elements that each character likely wields (listing only elements that would likely have a gameplay use):

The Twins + Marth: Light

Chrom and Ryoma: Lightning (Thunder)

Corrin and Xander: Dark

This means that so far, we lack characters who use Fire and Wind, the last two main FE elements.

20 hours ago, Jedi said:

Its funny in terms of Jugdral because us Westerners generally have more regard for them than the Japanese. Which is probably part of why. 

FE focuses more on its Japanese audience usually.

Actually, the Japanese like Jugdral, or at least they like Genealogy out of the duo. While it's more outdated now a few years ago Famitsu did a poll and it did the best out of any FE game at #11, sales-wise it was the second best selling behind Mystery in Japan before Awakening and Fates, and the fanbase in general seems to comment positively on it among those who played it. So at the very least it's no Sacred Stones or the original Gaiden in terms of how the Japanese receive it, and is arguably just as beloved as it is over here in terms of the older fanbase.

9 minutes ago, Folt said:

I just saw gameplay of Marth. He wields the Light element and appears to have a gimmick similiar to Rapier!Zelda in Hyrule Warriors. He's also a speedy fencer.

Rowan shares some attacks with Lianna, but seems to mostly use his own unique attacks. He's in-your-face and aggressive compared to Lianna's significantly more careful fighting style. Curiously, Rowan's Magic stat seems actually on par with Lianna's, even though Lianna is the only one of the two to use something that makes use of Magic (Staves). Could this mean that Rowan might be able to use offensive magic as a back-up weapon?

Here's the elements that each character likely wields (listing only elements that would likely have a gameplay use):

This means that so far, we lack characters who use Fire and Wind, the last two main FE elements.

For Wind, Merric and Takumi are the most obvious candidates since their signature weapons draw from that element. Caeda is a possibility as well as while she's not tied to the element, it could complement her signature Wing Spear from the remakes.

Edited by Medeus

13 minutes ago, Medeus said:

Actually, the Japanese like Jugdral, or at least they like Genealogy out of the duo. While it's more outdated now a few years ago Famitsu did a poll and it did the best out of any FE game at #11, sales-wise it was the second best selling behind Mystery in Japan before Awakening and Fates, and the fanbase in general seems to comment positively on it among those who played it. So at the very least it's no Sacred Stones or the original Gaiden in terms of how the Japanese receive it, and is arguably just as beloved as it is over here in terms of the older fanbase.

Yeah. Awakening and Fates are likely here because they are the most well-received of the lot internationally. (Shadow Dragon is here because Marth.)

14 minutes ago, Medeus said:

For Wind, Merric and Takumi are the most obvious candidates since their signature weapons draw from that element. Caeda is a possibility as well as while she's not tied to the element, it could complement her signature Wing Spear from the remakes.

Yeah. Those three are likely to be Wind element users.

1 hour ago, Folt said:

Where'd you see Marth gameplay?

I saw NWR's footage, but that was pretty much exclusively Rowan and Chrom. 

Just now, The DanMan said:

Where'd you see Marth gameplay?

I saw NWR's footage, but that was pretty much exclusively Rowan and Chrom. 

Here's a video by JammerProHD:

At around 6:00 he switches to Marth. Note the cubes under Marth's portrait. At some point during the gameplay (after Xander appears), Marth charges those cubes to full, which is why I say he has a gimmick similiar to Rapier!Zelda..

4 minutes ago, Folt said:

Here's a video by JammerProHD:

At around 6:00 he switches to Marth. Note the cubes under Marth's portrait. At some point during the gameplay (after Xander appears), Marth charges those cubes to full, which is why I say he has a gimmick similiar to Rapier!Zelda..

Dang. Shame it isn't direct feed, but... dang.
Marth's more Swordmaster than the Swordmaster on the roster.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Dang. Shame it isn't direct feed, but... dang.
Marth's more Swordmaster than the Swordmaster on the roster.

More like he is a different kind of Swordmaster, since Fates's Swordmasters draw heavily on the Samurai theme compared to other Swordmaster-type units in the series.

Looking at the stream, but is it just me, or this game have more enemies on the map than Hyrule Warriors did?

Thus far the "new stream" is more or less the same thing as they originally showed off the first time around. These "re-streams" seem to be a running theme for today, they did it with the Breath of the Wild DLC as well as Samus Returns.

Nothing new is shown yet in terms of gameplay, but some of the interview questions are new. I'll edit this post or post again if anything interesting shows up.

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, Jedi said:

You can turn the level up stuff off so its more like Warriors Orochi or Hyrule Warriors.

Which is now a moot point, because I've already said that I wasn't going to buy it.

My god, if that lady goes on about Chrom and Xander again... Ugh.

Anyway, yeah, this is just the exact same stuff we saw before. Nothing new at all. That's pretty lame. You're not going to get us anymore interested if you just show the same exact crap, Nintendo...

19 minutes ago, Azz said:

Looking at the stream, but is it just me, or this game have more enemies on the map than Hyrule Warriors did?

It's possible I suppose since it's a new system, but the 3DS version is probably not going to have as many.

Too bad the stream is pretty much a repeat. I did't expect any new reveals, but they could at least focus on characters not used yesterday. We already saw Xander during the first stream.

It seems to be over now aside from some amiibo stuff too.