E3 Gameplay

Tsak

1 hour ago, Thany said:

Ah the good old days when this random goron on my team defeated Volga and Ruto all by itself. I decided to name him link the goron in reference to orcarina of time. XD

Nice to see Link the Goron finally grow into a great warrior.

It's like, now we're reaching fanfic levels of ridiculousness with these kinds of stories.  It's even better because Volga seems to be like a humanoid incarnation of Volvagia.

Next thing we know, some generic soldiers are gonna band together to kill Gangrel and Aversa.  Or a ninja captain's gonna kill Corrin and Hans.  Or a certain Hoshidan lancer with rally defense will kill Azura.

Now I'm looking forward to this game just for the stupid stories.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I can see it now "This thief that was on my Team defeated Grima and tiki at the same time"

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

The mechanic existed in HW Legends, which was the 3DS version.  According to interviews, that implementation was what gave the devs the idea to do a Warriors x FE crossover.

I think I'd probably prefer the FE approach to it over the Zelda one.  People say the game looks similar to HW, and maybe that's true, but there are some little things that are different.  Like, it doesn't seem like you're gonna be hunting for skulltulas, nabbing treasures from keeps, or using gimmicky items during battle.  And while that stuff works in Zelda and feels rewarding, here it just interrupts what I feel is supposed to be the proper flow of these games.  FE just seems to work better here.  I dunno.

I get the feeling that it's gonna be more strategy oriented.

I admit that when I played Hyrule Warriors Legends, I thought the character switching and ordering your playable units around made me think those mechanics would be perfect for a Fire Emblem Warriors.

We might probably still nab treasures from keeps on some maps, since mainline Fire Emblem isn't shy about putting treasure chests with something in them as rewards. But the sub-items and Skulltula hunt is likely not part of it (though there might be something similiar to the Skulltula hunt in the game).

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, I like that, too.  I don't particularly enjoy games where my allies feel entirely useless.  I know that keeps send raid captains to cause problems for enemy keeps, but it hardly felt like the allies ever made too much of a dent outside of scripted story events.  At the very least I'll feel like I have better control over how things play out, even if ally captains still might suck.

I think it was only the playable characters who you an give orders to... but with the Weapon Triangle mechanic, I'd say the small fry can probably handle the enemies they have WTA against.

Character switching is always a great thing in Warriors games (which is why Warriors Orochi 3U still goes toe-to-toe with modern Musou games despite the "outdated" roster and movesets-- you switch between a party of 3). Being able to change around playable characters greatly increases gameplay variety while adding a bit more depth.

4 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Character switching is always a great thing in Warriors games (which is why Warriors Orochi 3U still goes toe-to-toe with modern Musou games despite the "outdated" roster and movesets-- you switch between a party of 3). Being able to change around playable characters greatly increases gameplay variety while adding a bit more depth.

Warriors Orochi probably's the best Warriors game Koei ever made.

...But I do think it used the wrong sort of switching. The Chronicle games and SW4 have the characters you control all off doing different things on the map if you're not controling them which is more interesting tactically. In WO you can merely switch out the character you're currently using with one on the bench. 

11 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Warriors Orochi probably's the best Warriors game Koei ever made.

...But I do think it used the wrong sort of switching. The Chronicle games and SW4 have the characters you control all off doing different things on the map if you're not controling them which is more interesting tactically. In WO you can merely switch out the character you're currently using with one on the bench. 

Both have their pros-- the SW style (used in FE) is definitely more tactical, while the WO style is much more about variety.

18 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

"I swear, the Archer just stepped off the ballista, climbed down the castle wall, and one-shot all those laguz by himself!"

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

Return of 3-13 archer confirmed? Can he please be playable?

he will be his own dlc mission when we get a michiah map :P tho really if they wanted to do what hyrule warriors did with adding cool events in their games. you could have an event where the 3-13 archer appears on the map. and you have to beat him enough for him to join your team.

On 6/17/2017 at 10:01 PM, Falcom said:

However, it's kinda annoying how the mission start continues to pop up and disrupts the battle, prompting you to press a button to dismiss it. I rather have it appear while the gameplay is still going (I can let the level up slide though). Also, I'm gonna assume that Anna is talking constantly throughout battles.

I think one of the guys on Treehouse said you'd be able to turn off the pausing.

31 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I think one of the guys on Treehouse said you'd be able to turn off the pausing.

I'm in a bit of an odd spot in that I don't want the mission popups to pause the game but I DO like the level-up pause. I hope we can decide what does and doesn't interrupt the game.

19 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

The mission start thing does seem a bit odd since HW just flowed.

It flowed...... unless you played the 3DS version. which paused the action for you to read it.... unless you disabled it.

44 minutes ago, Thany said:

It flowed...... unless you played the 3DS version. which paused the action for you to read it.... unless you disabled it.

Oh, well, I only had the Wii U version. Seems like an odd choice to make something less efficient. And it's not like you couldn't check your objectives.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Oh, well, I only had the Wii U version. Seems like an odd choice to make something less efficient. And it's not like you couldn't check your objectives.

I guess they just wanted to have people that dont pay attention to the objectives from "mindlessly" attacking enemies by having the action paused so they read what to do next.

Its still an odd choice but i can at least see the reason behind it.

The oddest thing is if they actually have both the objective popups and level up popups tied to the same option.

Then again, if there's a way we can see level gains without the level up popups, I'd greatly prefer that.  Even if it's for FE flair, it's still jarring to have the game pause randomly while you're fighting in a game like this.  At least for me.

36 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

The oddest thing is if they actually have both the objective popups and level up popups tied to the same option.

Then again, if there's a way we can see level gains without the level up popups, I'd greatly prefer that.  Even if it's for FE flair, it's still jarring to have the game pause randomly while you're fighting in a game like this.  At least for me.

I will probably keep the level up scene on at least through story mode, but it may get old after that. 

8 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

I will probably keep the level up scene on at least through story mode, but it may get old after that. 

I defedently leave that on for story mode. and will surely turn it off in whatever side game there is (unless i get new characters. so i can hear their level up sounds)

I hope we get a look at the 3DS version soon. I am going to buy that one first since I dont plan on getting a Switch until next year, but I would appreciate even a brief look at gameplay on it. I know it wont be all that much different, but it would be nice to see.

Actually, I hope we just start getting regular reveals as a whole. We have until September for Japan's release, and we dont know if it is going to be a simultaneous release or within a month of each other like SoV was, so its not like they have a year to fiddle around with occasional teasing. I am expecting them to start reveals probably in July, but the fact that they are being so restricted on what they have revealed is a bit annoying. Its not like this is Smash or anything and we are expecting some crazy guest characters or anything, just go ahead and show us the roster so far, its not that much of a mystery.

Edited by Tolvir

41 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I hope we get a look at the 3DS version soon. I am going to buy that one first since I dont plan on getting a Switch until next year, but I would appreciate even a brief look at gameplay on it. I know it wont be all that much different, but it would be nice to see.

Actually, I hope we just start getting regular reveals as a whole. We have until September for Japan's release, and we dont know if it is going to be a simultaneous release or within a month of each other like SoV was, so its not like they have a year to fiddle around with occasional teasing. I am expecting them to start reveals probably in July, but the fact that they are being so restricted on what they have revealed is a bit annoying. Its not like this is Smash or anything and we are expecting some crazy guest characters or anything, just go ahead and show us the roster so far, its not that much of a mystery.

But Nintendo loves it's suspense.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

But Nintendo loves it's suspense.

To the annoyance of everyone else. Why does Nintendo have to be so.... I dont even know how to put it. Thick headed? Did they not get it with the Nintendo Mini, the Switch, and how the Super Nintendo Mini is already looking to be?

2 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

To the annoyance of everyone else. Why does Nintendo have to be so.... I dont even know how to put it. Thick headed? Did they not get it with the Nintendo Mini, the Switch, and how the Super Nintendo Mini is already looking to be?

Not sure what supply problems has to do with them liking to keep secrets. In Smash, it does kind of work, I guess they're just going with that model. Though maybe they should just release it now in this case to let all the salt flow now and get it over with though.

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Not sure what supply problems has to do with them liking to keep secrets. In Smash, it does kind of work, I guess they're just going with that model. Though maybe they should just release it now in this case to let all the salt flow now and get it over with though.

Well they held back for limited release for.... no reason what so ever other than maybe hype and suspense? It literally made absolutely no sense to have a limited release of the Switch, yet they did anyway. Why?

Sure it works with Smash, but like I said, the characters that are in Smash really vary. One game we may have Snake or Cloud. The next for all we know we have Woverine and Batman. Who knows. So I get why they keep it a secret there, there is a possibility for just about anything, so hyping it up can be huge for the game. But Fire Emblem Warriors? At most we get someone from Jugdral or Tellius outside of their repsective lord as a surprise character. Its not like we can have some secret special character popping up. The most out of left field character they could pull would be one of meme level like 3-13 archer. Other than that it starts breaking the rules of being a FE crossover game.

Edited by Tolvir