How does Ewan fair?

I read that he is one of the very few dark magic users you can get, and I just got access to the Luna tome, which is very tempting. I have also heard that he is the hardest to train/least used. Is he honestly worth spending time training, or should I just wait for the other dark magic user in the game?

12 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

I don't think Ewan's worth it, but Knoll's combat isn't very good either IMO.

Why is he not worth it? Is he still really weak after training, or is it just a pain to train him up? If he is just a pain to train, I don't mind grinding in the tower to train him.

In every run I've done, Ewan has always turned out pretty darn good. Of course, several of the units that people claim are good end up as trash for me, so it might just be some quirk of the RNGod that affects me. I'd make him a Druid, though, so you don't lose the anima level you built him up with.

4 minutes ago, alatartheblue42 said:

In every run I've done, Ewan has always turned out pretty darn good. Of course, several of the units that people claim are good end up as trash for me, so it might just be some quirk of the RNGod that affects me. I'd make him a Druid, though, so you don't lose the anima level you built him up with.

So should I even bother with dark magic then, iirc there is only one other dark magic user you can recruit.

From my experience, he's turned out pretty great.

I've spent time grinding in the tower but I wasn't opposed to the idea. Personally, I'd say to use him if you don't especially care about grinding.Long-term. You can always grind everyone up if you so desire.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

So should I even bother with dark magic then, iirc there is only one other dark magic user you can recruit

You do indeed recall correctly. Knoll is a Summoner and he's kinda meh. I personally favour Ewan as my Dark Mage because of the overall boosts he can get from being a Trainee unit. With the right influences, I find him to be a formidable unit.

If you grind in the tower then use any unit you like, nobody is unusable. People who say don't use a unit usually doesn't use the tower. Ewan is certainly good if trained up, he will most likely be better than the other dark magic user if you use him as a Druid.

19 minutes ago, ranger016 said:

If you grind in the tower then use any unit you like, nobody is unusable. People who say don't use a unit usually doesn't use the tower. Ewan is certainly good if trained up, he will most likely be better than the other dark magic user if you use him as a Druid.

Well alright then, I think I will use Ewan as a dark magic user. It certainly does help to have an Anima (Lute), Light (Artur), and Dark (Ewan now) to have full control over the magic triangle.

In my opinion he is more of an extra but you can obviously gain from him. The few times I used him, he turned out average or I was forcing him in but he can definitely fill in and do the job as a Druid as you do not have many dark magic options.

I think he is mostly useful in his unofficial Super Trainee class but I guess many would argue that, haha. He can use all magic schools there and is not screwed that badly.

If you need a good magic user then Lute or Saleh can do it. If you need Light against monsters (which there are plenty later), Artur or promoted healers can do it.

If you're playing this game the classical way (meaning no skirmishes, grinding e.t.c.)  it's pretty difficult to train him as he comes rather late.

Although if you do train him he turns out to be a very solid unit. I usually make him a dark mage since there's only one other in the game and he's considered not as good, and after that I promote him to Druid while the other guy becomes a Summoner.

Also, yeah, everyone is usable in this game, so don't worry on anyone actually being useless.

FE8 is pretty easy so Knoll is totally usable.... he's just worse than literally every other magic user you get. Other than maybe Ewan but since you mentioned you don't mind grinding in the tower of Valni I'd say go for it. He turns out really well if you do that in any class.

59 minutes ago, Darros said:

FE8 is pretty easy so Knoll is totally usable.... he's just worse than literally every other magic user you get. Other than maybe Ewan but since you mentioned you don't mind grinding in the tower of Valni I'd say go for it. He turns out really well if you do that in any class.

I think I will do that, thanks for the help!

also, in the span of like 5 days I have made like 6 or 7 topics about question I had on this game, geez I can be clueless sometimes.

• 11 months later...