Trying to find a real copy of FE7, but the bootlegs are inescapable

PieceofPaper

So recently I've been trying to find a copy of FE7. After playing the rom, I wanted to get a physical copy, but I have been unable to find one that's real. If anyone could potentially explain what the cartridge art looks like, or something similar, that would be greatly appreciated.

No idea on how to tell a bootleg copy apart from the official, nor do I have my old cartridge anymore. But I found this image on a quick google search, and I think it would mostly be of legitimate copies.

At any rate, it looks close enough to what I remember. Its been years and the image quality isn't the greatest, but hey, hope it helps.

Are you purchasing a US or European copy? If you're looking for a genuine copy of any cart it should have some VERY small indented numbers on the front sticker, which bootleg copies don't have. I own a European cart which I'm happy to post a photo of if you're confused.

EDIT: 

Spoiler

You should be able to see from these pictures the small indented numbers on the front sticker. 

5942ad5694f5a_IMG_20170615_1616231.thumb.jpg.15e6efb92e076530bb459d31c5060e54.jpg5942ad4713386_IMG_20170615_1616501.thumb.jpg.dbf47dc61b15b5956c0850f8e5088f01.jpg

Edited by Natalie

Hey there, i'm in the same boat, looking for FE7/8 since echoes rekindled my love for FE/TRPG.

I'm wary of the pressed number since last week Natalie,  just got 2 bootlegs (7&8), bought them online on impulse because i could see the numbers next to the logo on the picture sadly they are fakes :

number indented is 11, they dont "slide" when i opened them and the pcb is kinda naked with the infamous black resin blob and a pokémon serial number.

If you're buying in a store or some flea market (or online with some HQ photos) you can check the numbers on the front usually next to the title like Natalie's + the ID ( AGB-AE7E-USA  or  AGB-AE7X-EUR) and the pins/pcb. (if you look at the pins/connector you should see Nintendo AGB-Y11-01, my fake is E05-01 aka pokémon)

Ultimately the only way to be 100% sure would be to unscrew the back and check the PCB.

Here is a legit FE7 9913e7004a818bef363b813da001e132390b7625

(image taken from French site  http://discourse.viensfairetesdevoirs.com/t/listing-photos-des-pcb-originaux-sur-gba/175 )

And the two fakes (from my old nokia toaster phone)

Spoiler

Photo0086.thumb.jpg.848ba2973f8587eff67c8e2f3826f382.jpg

Edited by Caelan
layout

You could try a pbhysical vidio game store. They let you check the cart before buying. It's still  really hard to find in a physical store, though, and quite expensive. THat being said, such stores are surprisigly common in large metro area.

You can also try community video came selling events. I went to one this week (in the parking lot of a local retro game store). THere are lots of people who sell at those events but nowhere else Got a copy of pokemon alpha saphire used (game only) for $18., a gba sp plus case and link cable for $35, and a copy of ff tactics advance for $8. Those last two are equivalent to internet prices, but i was able to examine them in detail and test them on my gba/3ds. That being said, i actually looked for te7, but was unable to find it (although someone had sacred stones. My experiens is that sacred stones is easier to find).

Edited by sirmola

On 6/20/2017 at 2:11 PM, Caelan said:

Hey there, i'm in the same boat, looking for FE7/8 since echoes rekindled my love for FE/TRPG.

I'm wary of the pressed number since last week Natalie,  just got 2 bootlegs (7&8), bought them online on impulse because i could see the numbers next to the logo on the picture sadly they are fakes :

number indented is 11, they dont "slide" when i opened them and the pcb is kinda naked with the infamous black resin blob and a pokémon serial number.

If you're buying in a store or some flea market (or online with some HQ photos) you can check the numbers on the front usually next to the title like Natalie's + the ID ( AGB-AE7E-USA  or  AGB-AE7X-EUR) and the pins/pcb. (if you look at the pins/connector you should see Nintendo AGB-Y11-01, my fake is E05-01 aka pokémon)

Ultimately the only way to be 100% sure would be to unscrew the back and check the PCB.

Here is a legit FE7 9913e7004a818bef363b813da001e132390b7625

(image taken from French site  http://discourse.viensfairetesdevoirs.com/t/listing-photos-des-pcb-originaux-sur-gba/175 )

And the two fakes (from my old nokia toaster phone)

Reveal hidden contents

Photo0086.thumb.jpg.848ba2973f8587eff67c8e2f3826f382.jpg

As far as I knew bootleg copies didn't have indented numbers on them, so really sorry if I gave misinformation! This was something I learned a few years ago so could be out of date. 

Was it just the photo of them with the numbers or did they turn up with them too? If that's the case I shall have to be more careful when I buy carts in future. Fakes are getting stupidly good.

Also, for a FE cart these days you'll be spending a lot more than some of the ebay fake prices of £7.99 etc. If there's a cart going for anything like that it is going to be a bootleg. I know that some sellers charge more so that you'll think it's genuine too. If you buy off ebay though and you get a fake you can return it straight away as 'doesn't seem authentic' and ebay will come down on your side even if the seller refuses from my experience.

Edited by Natalie

Does anyome know the signs of a dying FE7 cart? The one I have owned since 2006 just HARD reset itself today. I'm pretty ticked off because it contained my only S-rank HHM record and was at 96% support convo. ???

This happened once before but I pulled the cartridge out, blew on it, and the previous data all came back. No such luck this time around. 

Btw I paid $25 for it in the box over ten years ago on eBay so I can't imagine how much it costs now

On 22/06/2017 at 3:47 PM, Natalie said:

As far as I knew bootleg copies didn't have indented numbers on them, so really sorry if I gave misinformation! This was something I learned a few years ago so could be out of date. 

Was it just the photo of them with the numbers or did they turn up with them too? If that's the case I shall have to be more careful when I buy carts in future. Fakes are getting stupidly good.

Used to think like you until these two copies, number is pressed into the cartridge like a legit one, a 11 less than an inch next to the m of emblem.

Probably a fresh lot, guy must have bought in bulk on ebay or something like aliexpress.

Spoiler

fe7boot.thumb.jpg.1be732c9af083e36328642a09b463f55.jpg

On 6/22/2017 at 6:47 AM, Natalie said:

Yeah, from what I have heard, bootlegs tend to grow in sophistication over time, simply be cause a realistic bootleg will likely sell more. Never assume that all bootlegs have a certain charicteristic, simply because a bootleger has likely heard that too, and will attempt to produce a bootleg to fool anyone else who has heard it. Rather, look for any charicteristic that is "off". THat's why I suggested buying in person, because it makes this sort of thing easier to look for.

Edited by sirmola

• 2 weeks later...