Famitsu picks FE as one of their favorite simulation game chart list.

Harvey

20. Sim City (SFC) - 34 pt 
19. Front Mission (SFC/WSC) - 38 pt 
18. Famicom Wars (FC) - 46 pt 
17. Sangokushi 13 (PS4/PS3/XBO/PC) - 50 pt 
16. Super Robot Taisen Alpha (PSX/DC) - 56 pt 
15. Fire Emblem if (3DS) - 64 pt 
14. Tokimeki Memorial ~Forever With You~ (/PSX/SS/PCPSP) - 70 pt 
13. Sakura Taisen 4 ~Koi Seyo, Otome~ (DC/PC) - 76 pt 
12. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi (FC) - 88 pt 
11. Kantai Collection -Kancolle- (PC/Android) - 98 pt 
10. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) - 106 pt 
09. Nobunaga no Yabou (PC) - 112 pt 
08. Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (SFC) - 136 pt 
07. Sakura Taisen 2 ~Kimi, Shini Tamou Kotonakare~ (PSP/SS/DC/PC) - 142 pt 
06. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) - 150 pt 
05. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (SFC) - 176 pt 
04. Senjou no Valkyria (PS4/PS3) - 218 pt 
03. Tactics Ogre (SFC/PSX) - 252 pt 
02. Sakura Taisen 3 ~Paris wa Moeteiru ka~ (PS2/DC/PC) - 334 pt 
01. Sakura Taisen (SS/DC/PSP/PC) - 426 pt

Here's source for this as well!

Damn...what does Sakura Wars got that FE doesn't? Ultimate Waifu?!?

I've never even heard of Sakura Wars.

But...simulation? FE is a strategy RPG. Simulation is different. Yeah, there's some strategy involved in a lot of simulation games, but...

11 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

But...simulation? FE is a strategy RPG. Simulation is different. Yeah, there's some strategy involved in a lot of simulation games, but...

"Simulation" is a much more general term than "strategy".  It's commonplace for people to refer to turn-based strategy games as "Simulation RPGs".

Anyway, I don't know anything about Sakura Wars.  I just know that a lot of games and visual novels that use "Sakura" in their titles are weeaboo as hell and sometimes chock full of... barely legal stuff.

I see multiple FE games up there, so it's hardly just "one" of their favorites; it's five of them.  And oddly enough, Genealogy is their top pick instead of Mystery or Awakening.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I've never even heard of Sakura Wars.

"Fire Emblem Tough Simulation"

The original japanese lyrics of the main Fire Emblem commercial theme song literally call it a simulation.

Edited by kingddd

Hmm... That's strange. Genealogy of the Holy War ranks the highest? And Mystery of the Emblem is second? 

But those aren't Awakening or Fates. I keep getting told that Awakening and Fates are the only FEs people know and care about. 

Edited by Slumber

20 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Hmm... That's strange. Genealogy of the Holy War ranks the highest? And Mystery of the Emblem is second? 

But those aren't Awakening or Fates. I keep getting told that Awakening and Fates are the only FEs people know and care about. 

I think Famitsu is a Japanese magazine so people who were surveyed are in Japan, so more of them played the non localized FEs. Awakening and Fates are the most well known in the west though, yeah.

Edited by Dragoncat

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I think Famitsu is a Japanese magazine so people who were surveyed are in Japan, so more of them played the non localized FEs. Awakening and Fates are the most well known in the west though, yeah.

I mostly meant here, specifically on the Warriors section, which is where I've started hearing "Pf, yeah, of course they only picked from SD, Awakening and Fates, nobody cares about the rest." 

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I mostly meant here, specifically on the Warriors section, which is where I've started hearing "Pf, yeah, of course they only picked from SD, Awakening and Fates, nobody cares about the rest." 

Yeah, it's unfortunate for the rest of them. The gems that are the GBA and Tellius eras...a lot of people never played them because Awakening got them into FE. But I assure you, people do care about those older FEs. When people whose first FE was Awakening show interest in older FEs, especially GBA and Tellius, it puts a smile on my face.

Anyway as the Official Sakura Wars Fanboy(TM) I can see I must educate people on the wonders of Sakura Wars

So basically they were all games that came out for the Sega Saturn and stuff (so relatively quite old compared to most other games)

They involve steampunk era 1920's girls who pilot mechs to fight mech demons yet they double as actresses at a theatre. The basic gameplay of each is two different parts.

The first section is more visual novel-esque where you go around and talk to all the characters and try to get their 'relationship' points up. And the second part is a somewhat turnbased- strategy RPG kinda like FE just without the grid and all the stuff. The more your points with each character are in the VN section the more boosts they get in the battle sections.

As for their rankings on this list, my Sakura Wars history is not the best but from what I know they were pretty freaking huge in Japan when they all came out, so that might have something to do with the popularity on the list.

Anyway if anyone wants to know more pls ask Sakura Wars is great.

6 minutes ago, Breezy Kanzaki said:

As for their rankings on this list, my Sakura Wars history is not the best but from what I know they were pretty freaking huge in Japan when they all came out, so that might have something to do with the popularity on the list.

I think its popularity may have to do with people being intimidated by Sanshiro-sama into buying it for his system.

Back to the topic, I would like to see Corocoro come out with a list of their own.

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Damn...what does Sakura Wars got that FE doesn't? Ultimate Waifu?!?

I think that's pretty much what it's supposed to be. One generic silent/mild JRPG protag working with a bunch of different girls in steampunk mecha. I once heard the game described as the closest thing to having your own anime. There is some minor QTE stuff tossed in as well, and when given dialogue choices, you have limited time to answer- so no mulling over which choice will give you the most affection for 5 minutes.

Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love is available in English on the PS2 and Wii for those who are interested. Though I don't think it ranks that highly among the Sakura Wars games as a whole.

I also heard the series was spawned in response to somebody calling Super Robot Wars heartless with regards to the value it places on human life.

Nice to see the original Valkyria Chronicles make it so high. I only made it as far as just before Naggiar before my first PS3 suddenly stopped working, but for the first game in a new series, it's pretty good. Needs work in the character interactions department and some gameplay alterations (less seize/capture the flag; weaker Scouts, stronger Lancers and Engineers), but again it's great. Welkin looks very much like M!Robin to me; Alicia started really strong (I felt she got a bit weaker as the game progressed though). I'd recommend any FE fan give it a try.

45 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, it's unfortunate for the rest of them. The gems that are the GBA and Tellius eras...a lot of people never played them because Awakening got them into FE. But I assure you, people do care about those older FEs. When people whose first FE was Awakening show interest in older FEs, especially GBA and Tellius, it puts a smile on my face.

Yeah, this. And there are people like me whose first FE game was an older title, not a 3DS one. An even smaller minority would likely be those who started with Tellius. I'm one of those too. PoR was my first.

I hate people who say that the older FEs don't matter anymore and that no one cares about them. Because they most certainly do have their fans.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Anyway, I don't know anything about Sakura Wars.  I just know that a lot of games and visual novels that use "Sakura" in their titles are weeaboo as hell and sometimes chock full of... barely legal stuff.

Lol, unrelated. Sakura Taisen was a series of Sega Saturn simulation games, not the similarly named lewd visual novels you can find on STEAM. If you want somebody to talk your ear off about it for an hour, check out this video. Japan took these games very seriously. Stage plays, fully animated VHS films, a cafe where the waitresses dressed as the characters. And they wait for Sakura Taisen 5 like we in the west somewhat-ironically wait for a Half-Life 3. Too bad Sega doesn't make games that aren't Sonic. 

Now, can somebody tell me what Famicom Wars is doing here? There's not even babes in that game. This IS a "games with best girls" list is it not?

Edited by Gustavos

41 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

What makes it justify to give this theory if you have no clue about this series?

Also FE has no waifu-wars. Sure!

Even though I have never played Sakura Wars games, I'm very aware of its mechanics. You start with a Male commander, and you are surrounded by female warriors who are your teammates. Every single time, you have to make quick answers. If you get the correct answer, it raises their "spirit" which makes them stronger in the battlefield. At the end, if you have a high level of support conversation with the one whom you supported the most, you get to marry her.

And this is also something that you DO in FE only a bit different.

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

As an older fire emblem fan, I remember seeing a ton of posts enraged that Titania or Mia didn't get in the top twenty in the FEHeroes polls, but nobody was complaing about Caeda not making it, and Caeda is an infinitely more important character to the series.

Even in this thread, you'll see Dragoncat's post that specifically mentions the Tellius and GBA eras, yet conveniently ignores the SNES and Famicom Eras, and yet complain when those people ignore the GBA and GC/Wii eras.    

edit. Not picking on you Dragoncat, just wanted to use an example of how era based the fire emblem fandom is.  

Edited by Draxal

Interesting.

My only disappointment is that only a single Super Robot Wars game made it in. But well, it was a game like Alpha that made it in among all of them.

12 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Now, can somebody tell me what Famicom Wars is doing here? There's not even babes in that game. This IS a "games with best girls" list is it not?

Famicom Wars is, to my understanding, similar enough to Advance Wars that I can make valid, relevant statements despite being completely unfamiliar with that particular title.

Advance Wars has no RPG elements of any kind. It's just you, your CO, a base that can produce any unit you find helpful if you have the funds, a map with properties to capture, terrain to hide in, and an enemy to defeat. In essence, it's more in line with high-level FEHeroes play, where you know what all of your units stats are, as well as their strengths and weaknesses. The only advantage an experienced player has is experience.

And that's where I'm going to stop in terms of passing Advance Wars off as Famicom Wars. What I'm suspecting is that the balance between the 'pick-up-and-play' element of Nintendo Wars in general and the 'realism' Wars World lacks gave Famicom Wars the spot. Or First Game Advantage.

13 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Lol, unrelated. Sakura Taisen was a series of Sega Saturn simulation games, not the similarly named lewd visual novels you can find on STEAM. If you want somebody to talk your ear off about it for an hour, check out this video. Japan took these games very seriously. Stage plays, fully animated VHS films, a cafe where the waitresses dressed as the characters. And they wait for Sakura Taisen 5 like we in the west somewhat-ironically wait for a Half-Life 3. Too bad Sega doesn't make games that aren't Sonic. 

Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star Online, Total War, Yakuza, and such don't count?

Edited by Jedi

I want to have Sakura Taisen translated for the west so badly.
It's an absolute shame that no single part made it for the west except for one game for the Wii which shall be even the worst of this series.

I watched a bit of a game yesterday and the gameplay looks interesting.
It grants your more actions in one turn since you can do multiple things in a turn thanks to the movement bar.

Idc that the protagonist is surrounded only by women since most of the supports aren't really cliché from what I've seen.
It's a cool feature that you have to give an answer in a time limit (which varies) and that in some dialogues it's better not to give an answer. I haven't seen it anywhere else before yet.

Edited by アリサ ラインフォルト

iirc Famicom wars has an exaggerated form of the rank mechanic for units that pick up kills (as seen in day of ruin). I still wouldn't call it an rpg by any stretch. Most of the ordering kinda reads more like "magazine establishing its credentials" moreso than editor prefference. Not that these all aren't important games at the least.

13 hours ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

I want to have Sakura Taisen translated for the west so badly.
It's an absolute shame that no single part made it for the west except for one game for the Wii which shall be even the worst of this series.

I watched a bit of a game yesterday and the gameplay looks interesting.
It grants your more actions in one turn since you can do multiple things in a turn thanks to the movement bar.

Idc that the protagonist is surrounded only by women since most of the supports aren't really cliché from what I've seen.
It's a cool feature that you have to give an answer in a time limit (which varies) and that in some dialogues it's better not to give an answer. I haven't seen it anywhere else before yet.

Is So Long, My Love actually bad? It's reviews seem to be rather positive, although it could be telling that it's relatively cheap on Amazon (less than $25).