Grand Hero Battle: Legion!

Vaximillian

@mampfoid @Rafiel's Aria @Ginko @Johann @eclipse @NegativeExponents- @Quintessence @Fei Mao @DefaultBeep @Rezzy @Hilda @DarkLordIvy @SatsumaFSoysoy @Poimagic @Cute Chao

First GHB of the new rotation, and off to... a more coasting start than I expected. 

I forgot that without the refinement, Legion's debuff only effects those he actually attacks, which pretty much trivialized him for Matthew since he attacks normally from 2 range. Which turned out to make this easy enough to beat in a single try. Matthew does what he does, Ayra mops up the seconds, Inigo dances and kills a straggler, Genny didn't even need to attack this time. Somewhat uneventful given what I expected of difficulty, but it's done.

Honestly what made this take so long was my indecisiveness at picking music @mcsilas! Really wanted a rock tune but so many different tracks suited this battle and this took an hour or two longer than it should have honestly. Still not sure I'm 100% happy with the selection, but I couldn't spend any more time on it. Funny how what was once the new standard of difficulty for the game has been trivialized at this point by not only power creep but just plain overall improvement on just about every unit you can think of thanks to the refinery. It's cool, but a bit saddening.

Thankfully this week won't be as busy as the first GHB Elite week since Valter, Arvis and Zephiel are all runs I've already recorded. Just need to get through to the weekend. Really excited about the next two coming. Clarisse is tomorrow. Look forward to it.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water!Nino with Axebreaker makes short work of this quest.

As usual, Leon/Camilla is a ridiculous combo, so earth is done.

Gotta figure out Wind/Fire.  I swear that if I pull Leif, he's being shoved onto the Fire team.

Wind was trivial since Kat (ironically enough)  has no problems killing every Legion and I finally got around to infernal where I just realised the power of two dancers and a blade mage 

Edited by Mackc2

The new quests were interesting. I have all my blessings on built-up units, and a lot on ranged or DC/Lightning Breath units, so I mostly dropped one or two on the defense tiles and went from there.

Water: Caeda, Fjorm, Azura (Celebratory Spirit), and Fae. This one ended up being a one-turn, with Fae taking on the RHS (plus the bow) and Caeda taking the LHS.

Earth: Ike, Hector, Effie, and Ayra. Effie & Hector went to the lower row of defense tiles to start things off. I basically winged it from there.

Wind: Gunnthra, Faye, Arvis, and Julia. Faye was stellar at the start with her Distant Defender set, and Julia and Gunnthra powered through from there. Arvis chipped in a pot shot or two.

Fire: Ephraim, Corrin (Fateful Princess), Myrrh, and Tiki (Naga’s Voice). The Dragon Wagon returns. Lightning Breath slaughtered things.

Obligatory “only Caeda deals damage” Infernal clear:

Spoiler

~

@mampfoid Nice one-turn clear! I may or may not have just started watching these. Out of random curiosity, are you trying to get a Meisterschwert Reinhardt off the Thracia banner? He seems like he could be useful for these, though he might be -breaker dependent.

Happy I didn't need to spend any blessings to get this done. Only have Reinhardt, horse Roy and Clarine with Gunnthra for wind, but they did the job. Ike, F Grima, S Corrin and Airzura for earth; Fjorm, Olivia, Bridelia and Michalis (current arena team). Didn't try fire as the last thing I need is another barracks clogger.

@Zeo I like your choice of music, while Matthew didn't get into much trouble (he is strong). I thought this would be more difficult for him, since he can't debuff all enemies at once. Funny if you think how hard this map was when it was new. 

5 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

Nice one-turn clear! I may or may not have just started watching these. Out of random curiosity, are you trying to get a Meisterschwert Reinhardt off the Thracia banner? He seems like he could be useful for these, though he might be -breaker dependent.

Thanks! I could tag you for the next one if you like. 

I'm not pulling for Reinhardt currently, since I'm out of Galeforce fodder and orbs. My GF units are only four (Roy, Elincia, Cordelia & Cherche), I need Cavs of other colors first. Current candidates are +SPD Oscar & +SPD Titania, because my chances of getting a +SPD Alfonse are too small. 

Reinhardt would need Heavy Blade + QP like Cherche for instant GF, but my total vanilla Ike count is 1. He could work also with QP + dance, but usually he won't take damage to have a WoM dancer beam next to him. Breakers work only for the opener, since everyone else needs WoM (most of the time). 

New Reinhardt could work also without GF for my clears, since he can kill on PP and EP. If he had higher HP, he would be a candidate for Fire Boost. 

Difficult to pass on a unit like him, perhaps I'll get him on a later banner. 

@Zeo Haha, I feel you. Looking for the right music is what takes me the longest as well- sometimes an hour or two passes by in an instant as I look through music tracks.

Well at least Matthew could take on the Legions no problem. Still nice to see him activating specials a lot of the time.

I hadn't really touched Infernal because I already beat it. My videos right now are just the Lunatic Quests clears- mainly because my blessings teams don't really have that much synergy. I try not to use blessings unless I'm forced to, which I am in this case because ORBS. The Wind one took me a while though- it was an Arvis, Anna, Joshua and Elise team (V!Eliwood was useless in this map so I had to add a blessing to Elise). Unfortunately sound wasn't recorded again so I'll do that video next week.

@mampfoid

Nice Cecilia debut! And yeah, Legion Infernal is one of those map where a lot of units needed Axebreaker to deal with those masked menaces.

In the meantime, here's a relatively simply, mostly red Earth team clear. Also I just really wanted to use this music, and I didn't really feel like trying Infernal right now.

Music is  ~Mutually Exclusive Dichotomy~ from the King of Fighters 2002 unlimited match soundtrack. Kind of fitting @Zeo because it's the team theme for the Kyo Clones team, and that idea fits really well with the multiple Legions in this map.

So yeah, mostly just a team that like to flex their muscles and their high Atk stat. Cherche one-shotting Legions is quite satisfying- who needs Speed when you have a Brave Axe (even Siegbert couldn't double the Legions).

I did need to have a peculiar tactic- and that was with the Black Knight. The red mage had Swordbreaker, so he was the biggest threat but luckily, as long as BK had Black Luna ready, his Vantage would activate and delete the red mage before he can even think of breaking Alondite. After that, everything is pretty straightforward.

But yeah, I guess look forward to next week where the Wind team needed to have some specific tactics involved.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:02 PM, Zeo said:

@mampfoid @Rafiel's Aria @Ginko @Johann @eclipse @NegativeExponents- @Quintessence @Fei Mao @DefaultBeep @Rezzy @Hilda @DarkLordIvy @SatsumaFSoysoy @Poimagic @Cute Chao

First GHB of the new rotation, and off to... a more coasting start than I expected. 

I forgot that without the refinement, Legion's debuff only effects those he actually attacks, which pretty much trivialized him for Matthew since he attacks normally from 2 range. Which turned out to make this easy enough to beat in a single try. Matthew does what he does, Ayra mops up the seconds, Inigo dances and kills a straggler, Genny didn't even need to attack this time. Somewhat uneventful given what I expected of difficulty, but it's done.

Honestly what made this take so long was my indecisiveness at picking music @mcsilas! Really wanted a rock tune but so many different tracks suited this battle and this took an hour or two longer than it should have honestly. Still not sure I'm 100% happy with the selection, but I couldn't spend any more time on it. Funny how what was once the new standard of difficulty for the game has been trivialized at this point by not only power creep but just plain overall improvement on just about every unit you can think of thanks to the refinery. It's cool, but a bit saddening.

Thankfully this week won't be as busy as the first GHB Elite week since Valter, Arvis and Zephiel are all runs I've already recorded. Just need to get through to the weekend. Really excited about the next two coming. Clarisse is tomorrow. Look forward to it.

Being tanky is one thing but that Matthew swatted those Legions down like flies. Glad to know I’m not the only one who struggles deciding what music to use. I’m hoping I find it easy too (I didn’t get around to doing it yesterday). This is one of the few ones where I wasn’t able to complete the Lunatic difficulty the first go around.

@Zeo @mampfoid @Vaximillian @Rafiel's Aria @Cute Chao @Ginko @Poimagic(maybe @LordFrigid since I think you are an Elise fan?)

So here's my Wind Blessing clear of Legion- which was really tricky because my Wind team is my weakest. I had to give Elise a blessing for this one as well, but damn she's the MVP in this run. 

Team is +Spd/-Res Elise, Joshua, Arvis and Anna.

Music is Rhythmic Hallucination from The King of Fighters '97 soundtrack.

Sure this was Lunatic but I'm glad I finally made it work with my imbalanced Wind team.

As for a bonus video- have a Mask (and Helmet) Emblem clear of Lunatic!

Music is Independence From An Aggregate (Verse Theme) from the King of Fighters XIV soundtrack.

BK's helmet covers his entire head so if anything, it's an upgraded version of a mask!

4 star Legion with Fury 2 needed 1 more Attack to defeat the enemies he needed to defeat, so I slapped the Atk+1 SS (this allows him to finish off the enemies he needed to with the exact HP needed)

My first attempt was mostly a BK solo once he was on a defense tile because he killed Legions too fast before the other reinforcements came in. This run was more fun since everyone had a chance to contribute.

edit: hmm embedding is being buggy...

edit 2: huh looks like the first video had some render glitches. I’ll fix it up at home.

Edited by mcsilas

@mcsilas Clever use of Gravity, that Legion didn't know where to go until he was killed by Arvis on turn 5. If you used Lissa instead of Elise, both runs would have been done with free units only. I like to see Gerome and Legion in action, also some tight calculations there (100% kills, few HP remaining etc.). 

Huh. Just cleared Infernal on my first try since these new GHBs showed up. I wasn't even really trying, just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it stuck.

1. V!Ike: The star of the show, with Radiant Aether easily keeping him alive. Gave him Axebreaker earlier, so he destroyed the Legions easily. He even managed to tank the starting red mage and both blue cavaliers that show up later with the support of terrain.
  2. Julia: Present as always, she mostly killed blue units since Legion is way too fast.
  3. Eirika: Present for super-buffs and picking off stray Legions.
  4. B!Lucina: Present to buff V!Ike to absurd levels. Geirskogul + Drive Spd 3 + Hone Spd 3 seal = 10 more Speed to give him a total of 40.

So I decided to mess around with Infernal to see if I could manage without singing/galeforce/cavalry shenanigans and managed to do it successfully! So I present my first video clear, a wonderful example of why Marisa needs more love:

The merge on Marisa, the S Support with Micaiah, and the Drive Speed from Cherche are all necessary, otherwise the Reprisal Legion will double her after the first Legion Seal Speeds her. She can survive it, but she needs the HP later on. You could possibly give her axebreaker instead, but that might cause some problems with the lunge cavalier. Celica can almost definitely be replaced with any powerful red mage (and axebreaker would work to secure the double) and Cherche is also pretty replaceable. 

I cut it fine, but I successfully cleared this map with my hodgepodge cheap joke of a Wind team on Lunatic. . 

5* Sharena with 

A- Fury 3

B- Swordbreaker 1

C- Fortify Def 3

Seal: Speed+2

5* regular Ike w/ +spd -

Default skillset

Seal: Quick Riposte 2

4* Arthur

Default skills

Seal: Spur Spd 2

4* Azama

Default skillset

Seal: Attack +2

I approached the map with no expectation of success. 

But after much trial, I found light at the end of the tunnel once I realize that Sharena can bail out to the left. Also, I came to the realization that with sufficient Spd, Ike can maintain his buik by avoiding the Reprisal proc with a unit with Spur Spd. Ike could not nuke the third Legion when in the bottom right corner without Azama dealing that ONE EXTRA point of damage. 

Took a lot of time trying out between Luna and Aether. 

Manipulating the AI for Legion to break the wall, the Red Mage to break the wall, and the Lance cavalier to behave irrationally and not Lunge a vulnerable Arthur or Azama into the range of the red mage is critical for success on this map. Otherwise, it's a death waiting to the happening. 

17 hours ago, mampfoid said:

@mcsilas Clever use of Gravity, that Legion didn't know where to go until he was killed by Arvis on turn 5. If you used Lissa instead of Elise, both runs would have been done with free units only. I like to see Gerome and Legion in action, also some tight calculations there (100% kills, few HP remaining etc.). 

Thanks- this took me so many tries.

As for Lissa, that would involve me upgrading her first and refining her staff, which is not really my priority right now. Not sure if Elise's extra movement and +Spd nature is more important though. Maybe one day.

As for the Mask Emblem clear, I forgot to mention that Gerome didn't really need Close Def for actual battles BUT he needed it so the left Legion and red mage would attack the tiles. If I unequip Close Def, for some reason Legion moves 1 more tile down and that ruins everything. Funny how small changes can ruin things.

@LordFrigid Elise is such a good unit. Dazzling refines made her even better! I can't wait to get a Genny for her.

19 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Thanks- this took me so many tries.

As for Lissa, that would involve me upgrading her first and refining her staff, which is not really my priority right now. Not sure if Elise's extra movement and +Spd nature is more important though. Maybe one day.

As for the Mask Emblem clear, I forgot to mention that Gerome didn't really need Close Def for actual battles BUT he needed it so the left Legion and red mage would attack the tiles. If I unequip Close Def, for some reason Legion moves 1 more tile down and that ruins everything. Funny how small changes can ruin things.

@LordFrigid Elise is such a good unit. Dazzling refines made her even better! I can't wait to get a Genny for her.

No need to upgrade Lissa, I only mentioned that 7 out of 8 units were free, Lissa was just an example. F2P clears involve also no/few SI. I never bothered to try a F2P clear myself (unlike @LordFrigid for example). 

Yeah, the AI takes many things into consideration. Especially when trying to find auto-battle teams for GHB HM grinding, small differences in skills can ruin everything. 

Did the quests pretty easily with my Water, Wind and Fire teams (so easily, I can't fully remember who I used on all of them).

Earth team is still my weak point, but I'm still not sure who I want to use to bolster it. It took me several tries but I managed. The team was a mish-mash:

Bunny Sharena, Olwen, PA!Olivia, Vanguard Ike

I will admit, Ike did more of the work, while Sharena and Olwen cleared up the mages and Olivia did what she does best.

@Zeo @mampfoid hope it’s ok if I tag you.

Late to the party but that’s because school and life keep me busy and thanks to that I’m behind on some of these.

Legion gave me a lot of trouble. Even Lunatic was awful. He just has so much hp and his speed makes him hard to double. Not to mention there’s multiple of him plus reinforcements. Nothing a breaker and a few Savage Blows can’t handle but still. Curse you Legion!

@mampfoid That’s ok. Seems pretty unreasonable from my part to expect a reply all the time.

I’ve been wanting to put Flower Roy to good use ever since I got him to prove to myself he wasn’t worthless. I’m pretty pleased with his results.

It might seem strange for the AI to attack Nino instead but Nino is barely able to kill the mage (misses it without the hone atk buff) and takes more dame as opposed to Roy who takes less and is able to kill them with or without buff.

Well you know her, she tries her best! :Nino: Nino being able to do the job even at 4* rarity is the reason why I will probably never promote her despite being one of my first and favorite units.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

16 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I’ve been wanting to put Flower Roy to good use ever since I got him to prove to myself he wasn’t worthless. I’m pretty pleased with his results.

He is far from worthless, he is a pretty good Brave archer (looks less god than his vanilla bow though) and if he didn't max HM, I would give him Guard Bow and DD3. 

16 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Well you know her, she tries her best! :Nino: Nino being able to do the job even at 4* rarity is the reason why I will probably never promote her despite being one of my first and favorite units.

Poor Nino, feathers come in plenty these days. 

53 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

He is far from worthless, he is a pretty good Brave archer (looks less god than his vanilla bow though) and if he didn't max HM, I would give him Guard Bow and DD3.

Yeah worthless wasn’t exactly the right word. He’s a very good unit, especially with those two builds you mentioned, and one of only two cavalry bow users. I just wasn’t particularly hype for him despite basically being a colorless Reinhardt. I agree his vanilla bow is very charming. I wish Heroes would let you choose skins for your weapons. Guess it’s time to give feedback I constantly forget is even an option.

53 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Poor Nino, feathers come in plenty these days. 

Feathers are plentiful but the ever growing list of units that need the feathers more are her undoing.

@NegativeExponents- I really enjoyed this one. Seeing Seliph being used and LA!Roy's normal weapon really put a smile on my face. Since I'm partial to gravity I don't generally get to see the fun of Pain+ users and Nino is always a treat. The music selection was fantastic. I knew some sort of rock tune would be used for Legion and you didn't disappoint. I've never even heard these tracks and they were far superior to mine. Bravo indeed!

17 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I thought it was strange that she wasn't oneshotting everything... especially with a Defiant ATK buff of all things. Huh... meanwhile Mine sits at *5 +5 waiting for more merges. Guess everyone's priorities are different. She's one of my final 4. She'll pass up Matthew in merges at the rate things are going.

28 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I wish Heroes would let you choose skins for your weapons. Guess it’s time to give feedback I constantly forget is even an option.

Skins sound nice, but wouldn't that make it hard to identify skills/sets on opposing arena units?

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

@NegativeExponents- I really enjoyed this one. Seeing Seliph being used and LA!Roy's normal weapon really put a smile on my face. Since I'm partial to gravity I don't generally get to see the fun of Pain+ users and Nino is always a treat. The music selection was fantastic. I knew some sort of rock tune would be used for Legion and you didn't disappoint. I've never even heard these tracks and they were far superior to mine. Bravo indeed!

Seliph is so great and I’m really happy about the current TT to have him truly wreak havoc upon foes. Roy’s weapon is due to indecisiveness from my part but at least this way I get to see a flower explosion every time he attacks.

I like most of the staffs actually. I have dedicated users for Pain, Panic, and Gravity. Screwing up the the enemy’s day in the way I see fit is just too good.

I personally wouldn’t say it’s much better but music is subjective I suppose. The tracks were really obscure this time around. The first one was actually from an anime. It’s “Do you want to be a sugar doll too!?” from Gintama. The second one is “The Hitman” from J-Star Victory VS.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

I thought it was strange that she wasn't oneshotting everything... especially with a Defiant ATK buff of all things. Huh... meanwhile Mine sits at *5 +5 waiting for more merges. Guess everyone's priorities are different. She's one of my final 4. She'll pass up Matthew in merges at the rate things are going.

It seems I’m as unconventional as they come. I like how you phrase that, “Final 4” It makes it seems like your on a quest to prevent world destruction and that these “Final 4” are the only ones capable of preventing it. So exciting!

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

Skins sound nice, but wouldn't that make it hard to identify skills/sets on opposing arena units?

I assume the weapon name and description would still be the same so as to not make it impossible to tell what you’re up against. Alternatively it could be like Summoner and Ally support where it just doesn’t affect arena.

Edited by NegativeExponents-