Grand Hero Battle: Legion!

Vaximillian

Whew, beat Infernal with my horses! There were some nail-bitey moments, but my first attempt succeeded. Cecilia was key: with Gronnraven+, TA3 and Quick Riposte, she tanked and counter-killed both the Brave Archer and the Blue Mage on Turn 1, taking a grand total of 1 damage from the Archer in the process. Reinhardt taking out the Red Mage with QR helped a lot too. From there on, it was just Xander and Eldigan eating up the Legions while Reinhardt and Cecilia sniped and took out the non-Legion reinforcements with their two body blocks stopping them from receiving damage (except for the Blue Mage Cav, which Cecilia ate up on enemy phase while taking 0 damage again).

Xander was down to 3 HP by the end of the map, and that asshole of a Lance Cavalier took Cecilia, Reinhardt AND Eldigan ganging up to kill him. And here I thought the Tempest Trials units were on steroids...

Still, it was fun! I loved the reinforcements in this map, it made everything so much more of a challenge. I hope it's not just a Legion thing and future GHB maps incorporate it.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A GHB that's actually a challenge! I still haven't completed Lunatic... This is quite welcome.

I don't think I can do it without inheriting skills.

Giving a Red unit (Tiki or Eirika) Axebreaker + Triangle Adept I think might be the solution.

Seems a lot of people are able to do this easily with Horse Emblem...

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

Infernal cleared!

Did it with the following team:

5* Camus (fury 3, vantage 3, Goad Cavalry, rising thunder)

5* Alphonse (DB 3, axe breaker 3, spur attack, reposition, sol)

5* Nino +def-res (fury 3, desperation 2, hone attack, draw back, moonbow)

4* Oliva (Dance, hone attack)

axe breaker meant Alphonse could deal with 3 legions, whereas Nino killed the first one. Camus and Nino killed all the generics, who aren't to treatening. Still took me quite a few tries. Guess they managed to make these things more of a challenge.

No Nino or horse emblem makes this pretty tough. I've already gone through a whole stamina potion failing Infernal. My lineup of top units might not be able to deal with this map.

Infernal hurt me..but I managed to beat Legion with my team of Ike, Linde, Kagero, and Ninian.  I HIGHLY suggest having a dancer on your team for this one.  I can't tell you how many times Ninian saved someone (mostly Kagero) throughout this GHB.

Spoiler

4jrXPkq.png

Operation: Wings of No Mercy was a... marginal success.

It worked, but costed me 2 stamina potions, the most of any GHB. (I could've saved potions if I sat down to strategize better, I guess, but the GHB was actually pretty fun, with my 2 dancers and Cordelia flying around everywhere.)

YES I cleared Infernal, but it required me to give F!Robin Triangle Adept 2. My team was:

5* +2 Lucina (+Spd -Res) Swap / Aether / Darting Blow 3 / Desperation 3 / Spur Atk 3 / Spd Seal

5* +1 Azura (+Res -HP) Iceberg / Fury 3 / Wings of Mercy 3 / Hone Atk 3 / Fortify Res Seal

5* +1 Reinhardt (+Res -Def) Draw Back / Iceberg / Fury 3 / Vantage 3 / Spur Atk 3

4* F!Robin vanilla + Triangle Adept 2

I've been using F!Robin so much for GHB runs, I love her so much now. She was actually part of the key to the puzzle for me.

Beat it with @Thor Odinson's movement patterns, but a different ending due to my units having different skills, causing the lance knight to move to the top right corner instead of down the middle, which cost me enough turns for the third fourth Legion to spawn.

I wonder why that strategy works so well at preventing Legions from spawning. Are the triggers the bow fighter and the red mage?

Anyways, back to trying it with my own janky team of Eliwood (Death Blow 3), Reinhardt (Death Blow 3, Hone Cavalry), Titania (Distant Counter, Hone Cavalry), and Palla (Axebreaker 3).

Edited by Ice Dragon
I can't count this late at night.

I got a spare 4* Laslow hanging aboot so I could get some axebreaker on someone. F!Robin is a god at killing the blue mage and probably the blue cav too. The archer ironically is giving me the most trouble.

I DID IT. Omg. I dunno if I could replicate what happened...but I'm proud of myself. That was some actual strategizing. It took a few stamina potions, and now I'm back down to 49, but I wanted the feathers soooooo badly. And now I can upgrade Lucius!!!!!!

Team
Sanaki (5* Lv. 40) (+RES -HP) - Cymbeline, Harsh Command, Moonbow, Triangle Adept 3, Axebreaker 3, Hone ATK 1
M. Robin (5* Lv. 40+1) (+HP -DEF) - Blarraven+, Swap, Bonfire, Triangle Adept 3, Vantage 3, Spur DEF 3
Nino (5* Lv. 40) (+HP -DEF) - Gronnblade+, Draw Back, Moonbow, Life and Death 2, Desperation 3, Hone ATK 3, Breath of Life 1
Azura (5* Lv. 40+1)(+SPD -HP) - Sapphire Lance+, Sing, New Moon, Darting Blow 3, Wings of Mercy 2, Hone Spd 3

I used Sanaki to get rid of the Legion on the right. Azura danced her out of the way and Nino dragged Azura back to saftey. I then set M. Robin on the defense tiles to bait the red mage. Robin isn't fast enough to kill him, but Bonfire is now active. On my next turn, I use Nino to get rid of the two blue mages. Azura's dance makes sure she gets both of them. Desperation is now active. Next, I go after the Brave Bow user. Robin takes no damage from him but does a butt ton in return. I move Sanaki to take out the Legion on the left. On the enemy phase, the red mage attacks Sanaki, and with Moonbow active, she kills him in return. On my next turn, I use Azura to kill the sword cav that spawns, and once again Sanaki gets Legion. M. Robin should run as far away as possible from the Lance Cav. Unfortunately, it's not far enough. Robin takes damage during the enemy phase, but he doesn't die. He lunges closer to my team. My Nino doesn't have enough fire power with a single buff to take out the cav, but she finishes him off with a dance from Azura. On my final turn, Sanaki moves in to murder Legion. And Nino finishes off the final blue mage. And that's all she wrote.

I hope this is helpful to someone!

(My above statement about not being able to replicate it was a lie. I totally did it again to write out my strategy so it wasn't a fluke!!!! :3)

On further attempts... it seems that once again, Reinhardt is the solution to everything. Or Tharja.

It's also not Legion that's giving me difficulty... it's the red mage. I can take out everyone except the red mage.

Also, how do reinforcements work?

Normally a Legion + Blue Mage spawn on the 2nd turn at the bottom, but you can block one of them from spawning.

Then on the third turn, a blue cavalry spawns at the top. Except sometimes another Legion spawns at the top too, but usually he doesn't. What's going on? Is this 4th Legion related to taking out enemy units quickly?

3 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

On further attempts... it seems that once again, Reinhardt is the solution to everything. Or Tharja.

It's also not Legion that's giving me difficulty... it's the red mage. I can take out everyone except the red mage.

Also, how do reinforcements work?

Normally a Legion + Blue Mage spawn on the 2nd turn at the bottom, but you can block one of them from spawning.

Then on the third turn, a blue cavalry spawns at the top. Except sometimes another Legion spawns at the top too, but usually he doesn't. What's going on? Is this 4th Legion related to taking out enemy units quickly?

Reinforcements come in to replace enemies that you've killed. So to prevent their spawn, you have to not kill anything that turn.

On another note, there's a graphical glitch on the map and the red tiles shown in the pic above are defense tiles. They're not planning on fixing it, but we are getting free orbs as compensation later.

Edited by Otorio

I thought I had a plan for the hard map that wasn't very overlevelled, until reinforcements came in.

F it, not going to play fair if it's not.

Hell, after I said that, 2 legion reinforcements showed up in the first turn. Yeah, that's fair.

First time trying Lunatic? A Legion showed up to make it unwinnable.

THIS MAP IS SOOOO FAIR!

2 minutes ago, Otorio said:

Reinforcements come in to replace enemies that you've killed. So to prevent their spawn, you have to not kill anything that turn. On another note, there's a graphical glitch on the map and the red tiles shown in the pic above are defense tiles. They're not planning on fixing it, but we are getting free orbs as compensation later.

Well, that explains why I couldn't ORKO the brave bow archer that one time. This map on infernal is really frustrating without a horse emblem team. Lancebreaker everywhere also kills any chance of me using Camus on this map.

35 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Beat it with @Thor Odinson's movement patterns, but a different ending due to my units having different skills, causing the lance knight to move to the top right corner instead of down the middle, which cost me enough turns for the third fourth Legion to spawn.

I wonder why that strategy works so well at preventing Legions from spawning. Are the triggers the bow fighter and the red mage?

Anyways, back to trying it with my own janky team of Eliwood (Death Blow 3), Reinhardt (Death Blow 3, Hone Cavalry), Titania (Distant Counter, Hone Cavalry), and Palla (Axebreaker 3).

Arright, realized that not having a Dancer was way too difficult to cover all the bases, so I ended up switching out Palla for Olivia.

Here's my janky-ass team of not-trying-hard-enough SI:

+0 Eliwood [+Atk, -Res] (Durandal, Sacred Cowl, Death Blow 3, Axebreaker 3, Spur Res 2)... Wait, wtf? I never taught him Ward Cavalry?
+4 Reinhardt [+Atk, -Spd] (Dire Thunder, Reposition, Blazing Thunder, Death Blow 3, Vantage 3, Hone Cavalry)
+0 Olivia [+Spd, -Res] (Silver Sword+, Dance, Knock Back, Hone Atk 3)
+3 Titania [+Spd, -Res] (Emerald Axe+, Reposition, Iceberg, Distant Counter, Guard 3, Hone Cavalry)

Okay, I am, in fact, realizing while typing this up that Eliwood doesn't have Ward Cavalry. I thought he did.

1. Reinhardt attacks the right-side Legion from across the wall. Titania Repositions him down. Eliwood sits below Reinhardt. Olivia sits to the right of Eliwood.
    1. Blue knight attacks Titania and dies. Legion No. 3 spawns at the bottom.
  2. Olivia kills the right-side Legion from below (Reinhardt needs at least 45 Atk before buffs to do this). Reinhardt attacks the bottom Legion from the right. Eliwood finishes off the bottom Legion. TItania sits above Reinhardt.
    1. Blue mage and sword knight spawn at the bottom. Lance knight spawns at the top.
  3. Reinhardt kills the sword knight and blue mage with a Dance from Olivia, activating Blazing Thunder on the blue mage. Eliwood kills the left-side Legion. Titania stays where she is.
    1. Blue knight spawns at the top.
  4. Reinhardt kills the bow fighter and red mage with a Dance from Olivia. Titania moves to the closest fortification tile.
    1. Blue mage and lance knight kill themselves on Titania. Stage clear.

As far as I can tell, it seems like killing the non-Legion starting enemies are the triggers for Legions No. 3, 4, and maybe 5? to spawn.

Edited by Ice Dragon

18 minutes ago, Otorio said:

On another note, there's a graphical glitch on the map and the red tiles shown in the pic above are defense tiles. They're not planning on fixing it, but we are getting free orbs as compensation later.

Oh so that's why my Lucina couldn't 1RKO that one Legion. FML.

Okay, tested a bit on Hard difficulty. Killed the units in various orders (haven't yet tried killing the bow fighter first because he's hard to reach).

Killing the left-side red mage triggers top Legion to spawn at the end of the next enemy phase.

Killing the right-side blue knight triggers bottom Legion to spawn at the end of the next enemy phase.

Other reinforcements are turn-based, with the turn that you trigger enemy action as the start of the counter.

27 minutes ago, Otorio said:

Ahhhhh, I was wondering why I wasn't ORKOing...

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Okay, tested a bit on Hard difficulty. Killed the units in various orders (haven't yet tried killing the bow fighter first because he's hard to reach).

Killing the left-side red mage triggers top Legion to spawn at the end of the next enemy phase.

Killing the right-side blue knight triggers bottom Legion to spawn at the end of the next enemy phase.

Other reinforcements are turn-based, with the turn that you trigger enemy action as the start of the counter.

Just tested the bow fighter, too. Killing him doesn't do anything special.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

This matches up with what I've seen.

I kill both the red mage and blue mage on the first enemy phase and two legions spawn the next turn.

So the respawns are indeed based on killing certain units...

Had to Abandon my Horse Emblem for Extreme. Allways started well but at some point it got so crammed that 1 unit allways died. Also not all of my horsys have Spur Emblems, so that kinda hurt. Would need to do alot of inherting stuff to get them ready for this. Tried some different Team setups but all failed.

Managed to kill with my 7. Setup Team i just put together on the Fly.

Azama (Healer): Rehabilitat, Fortress Def 3, Live to Serve 2, useless slot C ability (just to avoid the Hone buff C slot he has ¬.¬)
Hector: Distant Counter, Vantage, Spur Attack 2
Zephial: Distant Counter, Wary Fighter, Threaten Atk 2
Kagero: L and D 3, Vantage, Threaten Speed 3

Only won this due to Azama, Defense Tiles + 37 Defense on a healer = Legion doesnt scratch me much and Live to Serve allways meant he was at full health soaking up that dmg. He basicly blocked several path multiple times on Legion or the Rider for the armored units or Kagero to be safe.

This was like the hardest GHB in a long time.

Now to try and beat Hellish mode ._., but i had lots of fun :D

I gave up running any Blue Unit on this map lol

Edited by Hilda