"Tremendous amount of characters will be available"

Jedi

9 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I answered that.

Like I said before in the post you quoted, I'm guessing from a marketing standpoint, gameplay and appearances of the confirmed characters was enough for now for them, and they would build up hype later down the line by revealing the unconfirmed characters, and said characters using different weaponry would help get rid of the "too many swords" stigma among critics and boost hype from the originally-lowered expectations. At least, that's how I guess it'll go down with the information we have.

You got me on swords, though.

Well, some of us still aren't that hyped yet, so this hasn't worked for everyone. I have the game on preorder, but that's simply because of the idea that I could have both Frederick and Ike and all in this game and so I don't find it sold out later on before I can get a preorder or copy.

Still, I hope some future reveals will increase the hype.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if Hyrule Warriors is anything to go by, they'll likely reveal new characters in either magazines (like with the new OCs and Marth) or just straight up YouTube videos.

My bet is we'll see either Tharja or Caeda next since we only have Chrom and Marth for those games respectively so it would not only show non-sword users but also new characters that aren't from Fates or OCs along with another female since we only have Corrin and the sister (can't be arsed to look up her name) for females at the moment.

I was hyped since they first announced the game since I love Dynasty Warriors Gundam and especially Hyrule Warriors and I adore Fire Emblem. I already figured I'd get at least one character I love regardless of games used and I already do with female Corrin. The rest so far are nice, but I could take or leave them while Marth was a sure thing (I was surprised Chrom was shown in the teaser rather than Marth).

Edited by Deva Ashera

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, some of us still aren't that hyped yet, so this hasn't worked for everyone. I have the game on preorder, but that's simply because of the idea that I could have both Frederick and Ike and all in this game and so I don't find it sold out later on before I can get a preorder or copy.

Still, I hope some future reveals will increase the hype.

That's the point; not too much hype now means lower expectations means higher chance of pleasant surprises later! At least, that's possible.

3 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

That's the point; not too much hype now means lower expectations means higher chance of pleasant surprises later! At least, that's possible.

Yeah, true that.

Cause man, if I could play as Ike and Frederick as well as Ryoma, I'd pretty much have all my top favorites in this game except for Ephraim, and even his chances are decent, I'd say, since he has a lance (well, and Kieran, but lol at his chances, so... :P).

IMO they should add at least 50 characters. It's probably more expensive to design them than it is to give them unique gameplay attributes. FE has hundreds of characters, anything less than 50 is not acceptable.

And Anna as an unlockable, of course.

10 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

IMO they should add at least 50 characters. It's probably more expensive to design them than it is to give them unique gameplay attributes. FE has hundreds of characters, anything less than 50 is not acceptable.

That's an unreasonable expectation, especially with the voicework and support conversations this game is going to have. We'll probably get somewhere between 20 and 30 at most.

Edited by Anomalocaris

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

That's an unreasonable expectation. We'll probably get somewhere between 20 and 30 at most.

Pretty much. Swords will still probably get the biggest cut of the roster especially as we probably aren't done with swords just yet and some may use them as alternate weapons.

12 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

Normally, I would agree, but Anomalocaris is right, honestly. Though I'm thinking we'll get between 30 and 35 characters.

47 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

That's a little unreasonable for a game where all of the characters need to have unique movesets, voice qoutes, supports, and entirely new character models. Fire Emblem tends to get away with it purely by reusing bodies and animations between classes (and a heck of a lot less animations at that).

The only way 50 something is possible is one of two ways, lots of DLC or character-alts like the Koopalings in Smash or typical clone characters, reusing movesets and most animations of other characters.

Like I said though, I'd be fine with character-alts, such as having Hinoka and/or Florina as an alt for Caeda (though with their own voice and some unique animations) since it would allow too-similar characters to be playable in the game.

The only other non-dlc infantry sword user I can see them adding at this point is Ogma, which would be used as justification for adding Barst as an infantry axe unit. We all know Barst doesn't have a prayer to get in without Ogma.

I hope, if he does get in, Ogma has an alt. costume of his blue armor from Mystery/OVA. He looked so much cooler than how SD/Heroes makes him look.

Oh, and Takumi is getting in before any other archer. That's just common sense. Jeorge and Virion have fans, but they pale in comparison to the Taco Man.

1 hour ago, Cerberus87 said:

Well, a lot of the financial consideration actually comes from voicework, at least if they're actually doing full voice work.  And also legal work... and they gotta get the actors/agencies to actually agree to it.  The point is that the real trial with getting those 50 characters comes from hiring the actors and having them speak probably about 50 to 100 lines per character.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume the big reason they're able to build megalith rosters for Musou games is they reuse a lot of lines for the older characters (like how Yoshi hasn't been given new vocal sounds since, like, Yoshi's Story) and they probably use ad-libs like in FE Awakening/Fates for in-battle dialogue.

Also, people treat this like the devs are obligated to make it outstanding.  It sounds like the idea for the game came on a whim, at least if you're to believe the interviews.  But beyond that, it's just supposed to be a fun little crossover title.  I get wanting quality in your games and all that, but I also feel like people put way too much pressure on this game to be just the way they want, and all it's doing is setting themselves up for disappointment and frustration.

Spoiler

Then again, people take video games in general too seriously anyway, but that's beside the point.

49 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume the big reason they're able to build megalith rosters for Musou games is they reuse a lot of lines for the older characters (like how Yoshi hasn't been given new vocal sounds since, like, Yoshi's Story) and they probably use ad-libs like in FE Awakening/Fates for in-battle dialogue.

Eh, not really. Mainline Musou games have quite a lot of voicework for playable characters, and definitely don't recycle spoken lines from past games. DW8's 78 characters and four story modes was the limit-- every Musou game since (besides 8 Extreme Legends, which is basically a standalone expansion with new modes and a few extra campaigns) hasn't been dubbed because of how much variable voicework there is for every character. Warriors Orochi 3U has 155 characters, DW8E has 84 characters plus a couple dozen voices for CAWs (all with unique lines) on top of even more situational lines per character, SW4 has 50 characters but the whole secondary Chronicles game mode with a ton of voiced events involving characters interacting... . 

Tl;DR There's a crap ton of voice work in mainline Musou games (which is why dubbing has been so inconsistent).

Edited by The DanMan

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, a lot of the financial consideration actually comes from voicework, at least if they're actually doing full voice work.  And also legal work... and they gotta get the actors/agencies to actually agree to it.  The point is that the real trial with getting those 50 characters comes from hiring the actors and having them speak probably about 50 to 100 lines per character.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume the big reason they're able to build megalith rosters for Musou games is they reuse a lot of lines for the older characters (like how Yoshi hasn't been given new vocal sounds since, like, Yoshi's Story) and they probably use ad-libs like in FE Awakening/Fates for in-battle dialogue.

Also, people treat this like the devs are obligated to make it outstanding.  It sounds like the idea for the game came on a whim, at least if you're to believe the interviews.  But beyond that, it's just supposed to be a fun little crossover title.  I get wanting quality in your games and all that, but I also feel like people put way too much pressure on this game to be just the way they want, and all it's doing is setting themselves up for disappointment and frustration.

Hide contents

Then again, people take video games in general too seriously anyway, but that's beside the point.

My post was a bit relaxed, but it frustrates me to see Koei restricted to 30 characters with so many people here asking for all kinds of characters. Everything you said is absolutely true, I kinda wanted to vent about the possibility of many people not getting what they wish for, though.

22 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Tl;DR There's a crap ton of voice work in mainline Musou games (which is why dubbing has been so inconsistent).

Well there goes my "approximate knowledge of everything", as if I haven't already proven enough that I know approximately nothing

Still though, those who think it's no big deal creating such a big cast as 50 or even 40 from the get-go are fooling themselves.  It could be possible, I suppose, but I'd assume they'd have to cut a lot of corners.  They might go the route of making "classes" which all have the same movesets (e.g. Cain and Able would have the same movesets as Xander), but I'm not sure.

I just think unless we're shown otherwise, people shouldn't be shooting for such big numbers.  Yeah, they said the cast will be "tremendous", but these days you can't trust PR, what with all the big words and empty promises.  Heck, being reasonably cynical during the development cycle of Echoes helped me enjoy the game more; I recognized the flaws of Gaiden's map design and even the faults of the story, and tempered my expectations for that game, and I wound up enjoying it plenty.  And I chose to believe them when they talked big about Conquest's story, and it bit me in the arse.

1 minute ago, Cerberus87 said:

My post was a bit relaxed, but it frustrates me to see Koei restricted to 30 characters with so many people here asking for all kinds of characters. Everything you said is absolutely true, I kinda wanted to vent about the possibility of many people not getting what they wish for, though.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the tone some people try to take on the internet, and I always just assume I'm receiving the worst possible tone.  And I in response tend to get perhaps a little harsh or presumptuous.

I can understand that sentiment.  I'll admit that I'd probably be a bit disappointed if some of my favorites don't get in, like Takumi, Oboro, Frederick, or the pega ponies of Archanea (if they for some reason can Caeda and the Whitewings).  Everyone's got their favorites out of a pool of about half a thousand throughout the series, so it isn't like it's uncommon or shameful to be disappointed about not seeing them in a cool, fun game like this.

19 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Sometimes it's hard to tell the tone some people try to take on the internet, and I always just assume I'm receiving the worst possible tone.  And I in response tend to get perhaps a little harsh or presumptuous.

I can understand that sentiment.  I'll admit that I'd probably be a bit disappointed if some of my favorites don't get in, like Takumi, Oboro, Frederick, or the pega ponies of Archanea (if they for some reason can Caeda and the Whitewings).  Everyone's got their favorites out of a pool of about half a thousand throughout the series, so it isn't like it's uncommon or shameful to be disappointed about not seeing them in a cool, fun game like this.

I've been getting this a lot lately, don't worry. :) I've been on a lighter mood for a while and sometimes I make jokes and/or light-hearted comments that not everyone gets.

Now, my experience with Warriors games is basically limited to watching Hyrule Warriors gameplay. It didn't seem too difficult to play, but then it's way too easy to misjudge difficulty based on a video. This gave me the impression that the gameplay wasn't as deep as I'd hoped, but, even if that was indeed the case, it's still pretty difficult to justify more than 30 unique characters, considering even Smash gets away with clones to inflate character count.

2 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

I've been getting this a lot lately, don't worry. :) I've been on a lighter mood for a while and sometimes I make jokes and/or light-hearted comments that not everyone gets.

Now, my experience with Warriors games is basically limited to watching Hyrule Warriors gameplay. It didn't seem too difficult to play, but then it's way too easy to misjudge difficulty based on a video. This gave me the impression that the gameplay wasn't as deep as I'd hoped, but, even if that was indeed the case, it's still pretty difficult to justify more than 30 unique characters, considering even Smash gets away with clones to inflate character count.

You're probably not going to get much our of watching Musou games than actually playing them.

13 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

Understandable but that will happen with any Crossover game. Some people get everything they want, some get a bit, some get none. Usually you just have to hope some characters you like from whatever games are included are put in and be optimistic even if your total favs aren't. Most of the time these games will have at least one character someone will like.

I'm also amending my last guess, I think Lil Tiki will be the next reveal due to her getting an amiibo figure already revealed.

Edited by Deva Ashera

@Lunajack: Hard to say at the moment. If I were to guess, the Alm and Celica amiibo could unlock special weapons, materials and alt palettes based on them for Walhart. Yes, this could mean green hair/dark blue armor and red hair/white armor.

Edited by Lord-Zero

At the very least, we should start seeing more diversity in character reveals now. They got the team captains out of the way, now they can show off their underlings. 

Considering the fact that they mentioned that the weapon triangle will be a pretty big deal and that they're aware of the sword user oversaturation with the current character roster, we should be clear of sword users for a while. Tiki (due to her amiibo), Caeda or Tharja could be next. 

51 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Considering the fact that they mentioned that the weapon triangle will be a pretty big deal and that they're aware of the sword user oversaturation with the current character roster, we should be clear of sword users for a while. Tiki (due to her amiibo), Caeda or Tharja could be next. 

Lucina, Gangrel and Sword Caeda are gonna be the next reveals, I'm calling it

21 hours ago, DaloDask said:

Lucina, Gangrel and Sword Caeda are gonna be the next reveals, I'm calling it

Any "new" sword user this soon would be pretty toxic for the game at the moment. 7 + Darius as sword users in a would-be 24-30 vanilla roster is already taking a noticeable chunk away unless most of them start branching out like...Xander with...the Carrot Lance. We can only hope that the whole "tremendous" part wasn't just typical Japanese PR talk. 

Ah Gangrel, at least the Levin Sword could make him uni-wait...Ryoma's Raijinto. He's probably better off as a dagger user; it fits his whole Trickster class and demeanor better. We can't have him throw his head around like in TMS but a Musou attack making a reference to that would be cool. 

Considering how many important and popular characters in Fire Emblem use Swords, I'm expecting to see more sword wielders than any other weapon type. I'm going to believe IS and TK at the moment and believe they won't totally dominate the roster, but I suspect they'll take up more of it.