"Tremendous amount of characters will be available"

Jedi

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

Every amiibo is compatible with HW, to my knowledge-- and you just get a random weapon.

First heard it mentioned during the recent Source Gaming discussion Jedi was in-- and honestly, it makes sense coupled with the bungled PR.
You are setting your hopes too high and will just end up disappointed.

And every Zelda character that got an Amiibo is playable in HW, with the exception of SS Link and OoT Link, and that's probably because there were already three other Links in the game at the time of their production.

I don't believe I'm setting my hopes up too high at all. Ike is extremely popular and so are Lyn, Hector, Roy, and Ephraim. I don't really care for Lyn, Hector, or Roy, but still. I believe they all have pretty good chances of being in the game, at least as DLC.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Anacybele said:

And every Zelda character that got an Amiibo is playable in HW, with the exception of SS Link and OoT Link, and that's probably because there were already three other Links in the game at the time of their production.

I don't believe I'm setting my hopes up too high at all. Ike is extremely popular and so are Lyn, Hector, Roy, and Ephraim. I don't really care for Lyn, Hector, or Roy, but still. I believe they all have pretty good chances of being in the game, at least as DLC.

DLC, yeah, that's a whole different story.

But if they had Ike, they would have advertised him by now-- put him front and center. They haven't, and nothing they said makes it sound like he's part of the game.

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

But if they had Ike, they would have advertised him by now-- put him front and center. They haven't, and nothing they said makes it sound like he's part of the game.

Not necessarily. As said, much of the roster is 3DS and Archanea characters. So their major reps and the OCs are naturally going to be the front runners. And nothing they've said makes it sound like Takumi or Leo will be in either, and I'd definitely bet money on their inclusion.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Not necessarily. As said, much of the roster is 3DS and Archanea characters. So their major reps and the OCs are naturally going to be the front runners.

regardless. If you have hope of them for sure appearing as dlc. Try to hold your hopes in once the game actually releases.

All I'm saying is that I don't want people (and this is goes for everyone) getting their hopes up, and then getting upset when the game does what it said it was going to do. 

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Lyn, Hector and to a lesser extent Ephraim are far more popular in the West than in Japan, and Koei and IntSys are only interested in pandering to the latter. Roy probably has a better chance on the virtue of being incredibly popular in Japan, but it's still unlikely, and I've already talked about Ike, who is only one character compared to the large cast they can pull from Akaneia, Awakening and Fates to appeal to potential buyers.

Take it from someone who has been waiting five Dynasty Warriors games for two important and highly-demanded characters to show up: if there's a character popular in the West that you want and they're not equally or more popular in Japanese fandom, you might as well accept that they're not going to be added anytime soon, if ever, and even if they are equally popular on both sides of the ocean they still might not be added.

Edited by AzureSen

5 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Lyn, Hector and to a lesser extent Ephraim are far more popular in the West than in Japan, and Koei and IntSys are only interested in pandering to the latter. Roy probably has a better chance on the virtue of being incredibly popular in Japan, but it's still unlikely, and I've already talked about Ike, who is only one character compared to the large cast they can pull from Akaneia, Awakening and Fates to appeal to potential buyers.

Take it from someone who has been waiting five Dynasty Warriors games for two important and highly-demanded characters to show up: if there's a character popular in the West that you want and they're not equally or more popular in Japanese fandom, you might as well accept that they're not going to be added anytime soon, if ever, and even if they are they still might not be added.

I've seen nothing that says Koei and IS are only interested in the Japanese fans. Why would they even release their games internationally if they didn't care about western fans? Also, Heroes having some Elibe characters in the base game looks to me like western fanbase pandering given that FE7 was the first game to release out there.

Also, Lyn, Ephraim, and Hector are plenty popular in Japan. They were all in the top ten in the Famitsu poll. Which, by the way, Ike won. In fact, between the Heroes poll and that poll, Ike is the only FE character that's won multiple major FE polls!

Edited by Anacybele

Considering the game will feature a bazillion characters I'd be very surprised if Frederick and Lissa weren't in. I think the more popular ones from Awakening such as Lucina, Cordelia and Tharja are pretty much a given.

So much character arguing. *Sigh* Maybe KT should just revive Renbu and hand almost everyone one of eight movesets. That way everyone who anyone wants can be in, and KT can take their sweet time degenericizing the cast with few complaints.

Don't take that too seriously. I'm just a little worn by all of this.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So much character arguing. *Sigh* Maybe KT should just revive Renbu and hand almost everyone one of eight movesets. That way everyone who anyone wants can be in, and KT can take their sweet time degenericizing the cast with few complaints.

Don't take that too seriously. I'm just a little worn by all of this.

You and me both buddy. 

Also to be fair to Renbu it was an interesting idea for DW6 it just wasn't used in a very great game. (But I will stand by 6 having some of the coolest movesets, like Sun Shang Xiangs or Cao Pi's)

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

DLC, yeah, that's a whole different story.

One might say the same about Lucina. I'm doubtful Ike will make it before DLC, but there is such a thing as saving big announcements.

Personally I am not going to worry about trying to guess the cast at this point. Every few weeks we get new info that just throws things for a loop. I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

Personally I am not going to worry about trying to guess the cast at this point. Every few weeks we get new info that just throws things for a loop. I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

This, pretty much.

If there is anything that HW taught me, if you love the moveset you can live with the character. Hopefully there won't be too many maps that force Tharja, but even if so, I hope they make her okay to play as. I mean, lana was pretty fun for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I can live with whoever they pick, and getting upset about it won't change who they picked. Might as well see the bright side and decide to have fun with my leisure time instead of getting up in arms.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

This, pretty much.

If there is anything that HW taught me, if you love the moveset you can live with the character. Hopefully there won't be too many maps that force Tharja, but even if so, I hope they make her okay to play as. I mean, lana was pretty fun for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I can live with whoever they pick, and getting upset about it won't change who they picked. Might as well see the bright side and decide to have fun with my leisure time instead of getting up in arms.

Same, as long as I get a rogue I will be fine. I would prefer Sothe or Volke, but any rogue from the series works. Don't think there is a one I hate character wise.

Im not a huge Corrin fan, but she looks like a blast to play. I think this game might change my opinion of some characters.

Edited by Tolvir

Just now, Tolvir said:

Same, as long as I get a rogue I will be fine. I would prefer Sothe or Volke, but any rogue from the series works. Don't think there is a one I hate character wise.

Rickard is my favorite, but I could easily be just as happy with Julian. If Gaius is in the game, might actually get the wife to play too :p

Can't imagine we won't get a thief of some sort. With Niles and Ninjas, they really kind of mixed up what's possible for the rogue-like. I still vote Jakob as my dagger user, though.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Not necessarily. As said, much of the roster is 3DS and Archanea characters. So their major reps and the OCs are naturally going to be the front runners. And nothing they've said makes it sound like Takumi or Leo will be in either, and I'd definitely bet money on their inclusion.

Actually, I'd say it's a good point. It's not like every playable HW character who had an amiibo were playable at launch anyways.

1 hour ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Rickard is my favorite, but I could easily be just as happy with Julian. If Gaius is in the game, might actually get the wife to play too :p

Can't imagine we won't get a thief of some sort. With Niles and Ninjas, they really kind of mixed up what's possible for the rogue-like. I still vote Jakob as my dagger user, though.

Definitely, Fates gives them a good bit of room to toy around with Rogues between Ninja, Outlaw, and Butler/Maid. You could count Dread Fighter as well, though I would rather that be reserved for a potential SoV pack with Saber representing Dread Fighters.

4 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

I dislike Owain pandering but I must say he'd still be better than Marth. :D

Eh, character pandering in general is kind of annoying for the majority of gamers, although from what I've seen over time we all have at least one exception. Really, I just want Owain because it feels like if there's any non-Lord Sword-Wielder who belongs in a real-time fighting game cutting down hundreds of nameless foes, taking key battle positions, winning important battles all by his onesie, and generally being hardcore in general, it would definitely be him - I mean, this game is pretty much literally just one of the Sagas of Owain Dark made real, so why not, right?

I get the impression that Xander and Ryoma will be the sole representatives of their respective families, to avoid bloating the roster with the royals. Camilla might get in due to her boobs and her popularity (which she has due to her boobs), but I wouldn't bank on the others appearing.

The Whitewings could potentially take up one character slot; play as one of them, with the other two appearing for combo attacks and the like.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I get the impression that Xander and Ryoma will be the sole representatives of their respective families, to avoid bloating the roster with the royals. Camilla might get in due to her boobs and her popularity (which she has due to her boobs), but I wouldn't bank on the others appearing.

The Whitewings could potentially take up one character slot; play as one of them, with the other two appearing for combo attacks and the like.

I doubt it, considering each Royal (except possibly Elise) is perfectly capable of fulfilling a niché while distinguishing themselves from other possibilities. Hinoka wields Naginatas which is a key difference she could exploit to be considered above other Peg. Knights. Camilla similiarly has magic tomes as her backup weapon to distinguish her from countless Axe + Lance Wyverns (being an Axe + Tome wielder which is a very rare combination in the series). Takumi is one of the most important Bow Users and could manipulate Wind to set him apart from others. Leo is a Tome user and the only natural Dark Knight of the games we'll pull from, in addition to having a unique Tome. Sakura is a Cleric-type healer who sets herself apart from people like Lena and Lisa by wielding a Bow in her implied canon promotion, and Elise is one of the most important Troubadour class characters.

I also think the playable characters (beside the Lords because abilities vary a bit from Lord to Lord) will have one of their possible promotions as their starting class and base their abilities from that class. The unpromoted classes appear to be the elite mooks, below the playable characters in power for this game.

2 hours ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

This, pretty much.

For me, I don't really care about the characters themselves.

Of course, I'd love it if my boy Gangrel got in, but to me, it's ALL about the cool shit factor. Regardless of my opinions on Yukimura, I REALLY want him in the game to see what they can do with one of the most unique classes to come out of Fates.

13 minutes ago, Folt said:

I doubt it, considering each Royal (except possibly Elise) is perfectly capable of fulfilling a niché while distinguishing themselves from other possibilities. Hinoka wields Naginatas which is a key difference she could exploit to be considered above other Peg. Knights. Camilla similiarly has magic tomes as her backup weapon to distinguish her from countless Axe + Lance Wyverns (being an Axe + Tome wielder which is a very rare combination in the series). Takumi is one of the most important Bow Users and could manipulate Wind to set him apart from others. Leo is a Tome user and the only natural Dark Knight of the games we'll pull from, in addition to having a unique Tome. Sakura is a Cleric-type healer who sets herself apart from people like Lena and Lisa by wielding a Bow in her implied canon promotion, and Elise is one of the most important Troubadour class characters.

I also think the playable characters (beside the Lords because abilities vary a bit from Lord to Lord) will have one of their possible promotions as their starting class and base their abilities from that class. The unpromoted classes appear to be the elite mooks, below the playable characters in power for this game.

I think Hinoka has far lower a chance than any other royal due to the presence of Caeda as the original peg and Aversa as the magic peg. They COULD give Caeda swords to shout out FE1 and relegate lance-peg to Hinoka, but the obscene amount of guaranteed sword users make that unlikely.

They could just give her the kinshi and bows to differentiate her though.

On a side note, I'm kind of hoping the 'General' mooks will be named after relevant characters from the games if class animations aren't a thing

18 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

Of course, I'd love it if my boy Gangrel got in, but to me, it's ALL about the cool shit factor. Regardless of my opinions on Yukimura, I REALLY want him in the game to see what they can do with one of the most unique classes to come out of Fates.

I was actually thinking Yukimura would be a really cool option due to his Mechanist class, and I like him as a character too so it would be even better for me.

Unfortunately he was pretty low on the popularity poll, but that's probably mostly due to his optional, late availability.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Unfortunately he was pretty low on the popularity poll, but that's probably mostly due to his optional, late availability.

I feel like if they REALLY wanted a cool character in, they'd get him in.

The fact that he is literally the last place character on the famitsu poll from 2015 is pretty rough though.

6 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

I feel like if they REALLY wanted a cool character in, they'd get him in.

The fact that he is literally the last place character on the famitsu poll from 2015 is pretty rough though.

That's true and unfortunate. At least he ranked above Ignatius and Fuga in the Heroes poll, and those two plus Nyx, Mozu, and Reina in the Dream poll.

We can just hope that his class alone is valuable enough to get him in.

3 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I actually quite doubt it. With her popularity and possibilities for a moveset Camilla is practically guaranteed.

I also don't think they can avoid adding Takumi to the roster. He was voted as the most popular character in Fates and has two big appeals. He's a prettyboy which always does will in Japan and is considered to be one of the deeper Fates characters.
Takumi may also be the most popular archer. That class isn't exactly filled with fan favorites in either its characters or performance. When you compare him to the likes of Gordin or Virion I feel Takumi has a lot more fans.