The Switch's accessories are of poor quality.

Anacybele

For the record, there is a difference between "For Kids", and "Family Friendly".

Anyway, on-topic, I had heard about the quality thing. A bit of a shame, but good to know this in advance. Not that I planned (or be able) to get a Switch any time soon, but I guess knowing this in advance helps either way. Might even no longer be an issue in the future, or so.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

Well, I agree with Ana on this, I mean, I've got Ori on the Xbox and will get Yooka-Laylee on it as well once it's on sale, and I'm almost 30. Though I also believe the Switch needs some mature games... In the N64 days it was easier since Rare took care of the mature stuff, but now it's a bit more difficult.

I believe Retro studios is more than capable of creating more mature IPs. I mean Metroid is probably the closes thing we got to that, at the moment at least.

Also Metroid Prime 4 hype! 

8 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

It's disappointing to hear that because Nintendo stuff used to be pretty much bulletproof. Even the consoles themselves could take some serious abuse.

Case and point, in the Nintendo World Store in New York, there happens to be on display (or used to be at least) an original Game Boy which survived an explosion from Operation Desert Storm, and still worked afterwards.

Spoiler

b7bacf2ae5054201765e5c3194206ba6.jpg

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Case and point, in the Nintendo World Store in New York, there happens to be on display (or used to be at least) an original Game Boy which survived an explosion from Operation Desert Storm, and still worked afterwards.

Hide contents

b7bacf2ae5054201765e5c3194206ba6.jpg

It's funny how a freaking bomb wasn't enough to kill this Game Boy, while my GBC had a faulty Start button from prolonged lack of use. :D

It still runs fine BTW, but I wasn't able to fix it because they used some weird screws and I don't have the necessary tools.

Edited by Cerberus87

I think what manufacturers are doing today is purposely making products lower quality so they fail faster and make people buy more replacements or pay for repairs. It's honestly a sound business strategy when you think about it.

However, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I feel Nintendo did here. It's making the products low quality AND really expensive. It's one thing to want us to eventually get replacements if the originals fail and can't be fixed, people want to replace broken stuff all the time. But to deliberately make these low-quality products over-priced is just scummy. It's almost as bad as scalpers.

Edited by Anacybele

While there is the possibility of planned obsolescence, I imagine it more likely that Nintendo is using cheaper materials in their accessories as a cost cutting measure.
Regardless, you can always make plastic things last longer by taking especially good care of them. I'm surprised that a Switch could turn on after a 1000 ft. fall...

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For the record, there is a difference between "For Kids", and "Family Friendly".

What is the difference?

9 hours ago, Zera said:

What is the difference?

From what I understand, the difference is that for kids is just that; a game made for kids and one only they can truly enjoy. Family-friendly, on the other hand, is a game adults can play with kids (or simply an older gamer playing with a younger gamer) and both can enjoy it.

To add to the mature titles thing, one has to remember that by putting mature titles on their consoles, Nintendo may actually lose sales. Titles that are rated mature cannot be purchased by anyone under 18, so less people overall going to buy it. And even if a mature title slips through the cracks and is rated lower than mature, many people simply aren't attracted to things like blood and gore and other mature themes. More mature games would be nice, but why put them on the system when they're likely to be outdone by ones that aren't?

In my case, I feel like in many mature games the mature themes overpower story or gameplay (e.g too much blood and gore). So even if Nintendo had more mature titles, I probably wouldn't buy them anyway (with a few exceptions, such as Binding of Isaac). Nintendo probably thinks a lot of their fanbase feels similarly.

On 2017-06-16 at 10:33 PM, Jave said:

I agree. It's embarrassing a Left Joycon can't survive a 1000 ft. drop.

-vid-

I'm not impressed. The joycons are padding, protecting the main part. :v Take the joycons off and drop just the screen, [/i]then[/i] I'll be impressed.

...I feel bad for that poor smashed joycon. Brave knight gave its life to protect its lord.

Edited by Sock