Best OST?

Køkø

Best OST  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which FE title's OST do you favor?

• Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Thracia 776
    • Binding Blade
    • Blazing Sword
    • Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Awakening
    • Fates
    • Shadows of Valentia

So I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem's music, just about all of it. It's probably my favorite thing about the series. It's hard as hell to choose a particular title that really stands out but I'd have to say that Radiant Dawn has the best soundtrack. When I say best, I mean in sound quality as well as the songs themselves. The tracks that really shine are one's like Finale in Fear, Ascent, Dilemma,  The Devoted and Pray for Victory. They have that grand, epic feel to them that I'd like to hear more of in the future.

Gaiden's OST is impressive for an 8 bit game, it manages to outshine the recent titles. I think SOV did a decent job at updating the OST, particularly Chapter 2's theme and Alm's map theme. Unfortunately, some tracks felt worse then the original. I'm citing the final map theme and Celica's map theme. The remake somehow manages to make these songs less intense. I guess this is a case of less being better.  

Jugdral is my favorite continent in the series, and thus holds a special place in my heart. Tracks like Glory in Grandbell, Awakening of the Holy Knight, and The Final Holy War have this ancient, knightly feel to it. It really feels like you're in medieval times. Girl of the Spirit Forest and Light Inheritors are tied for my favorite map themes of all time. I don't know what it is, but I can listen to those songs on loop forever. And is it just me, or does Light Inheritors sound like a mix Awakening of the Holy Knight and Girl of the Spirit Forest? I consider it so, and hope it is indeed the case. That's a great touch, mixing Sigurd and Deirdre's first map themes on Seliph's first map. Thracia 776 doesn't have a single track I mildly dislike or am neutral too. I can't pick a favorite, but I can say the boss theme is the best out the entire series.   

I feel like FE1 and FE3 have better soundtracks than their remakes. For example, compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5kWvaTWPY&index=13&list=PL520651E8276DB68A to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6ckNE9SRk&list=PL09DA3267151ABB1F&index=15   

There's not too much to say other than that. I did like Shadow Dragon's take on Under the Flag. Not as hype, but it had a nice serene feeling to it. Particularly around the 00.31-00.47 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sAMZFmDShs 

Proud Commander and Footsteps of Fate were cool too. Both are original tracks for FE11.   

Lyn is not my favorite FE protagonist, but she does have the best personal theme. Friendship and Adventure stands out as the best map theme out of the GBA games. Softly with Grace is classic too. Binding Blade's kinda weird though. There's two seperate OSTs, Some tracks sound worse in game than on the other one. An example is In the Name of Bern. Compare.   

In game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDNCs7tH8U4&index=23&list=PLYOLPb7kjJ3JWW2HYS2tjW_Vz6bJPkT8m 

to  

Alternate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO90cl_rN6M 

The latter sounds better right?  

It's also weird how Roy's Victory theme sounds better in FE7 than in his own game.

Sacred Stones is very underrated game in all aspects. From the somber Treasured Memories, to the playful Distant Roads, this is a solid OST. The only issue I have is with the final battle theme. It started off great with The Promised Land. Very ominous track, fitting a final level well. I'm talking about the theme that plays when you fight Fomortiis. It's not bad, it just ill fitting. I get what they were going for, but combined with how easy the boss fight is, it just put a damper on the whole thing. 

Path of Radiance is only game along with Thracia 776 that lacks tracks I dislike. Not much else to say, but some noteworthy tracks are a Battle and a Beginning, A Mighty Foe, Ike's Resolution, Crimea Attacks, and Greil Mercenaries. And FE9's take on Light and Dark from FE4 is actually better than the original. 

Awakening and Fates are the only games that have only a single track I can say I love. That'd be Don't speak her name and Road Taken (Both versions) respectively.  

Anyways, that's enough from me, let's hear what you have to say. Do you have any particular songs you care to mention? And feel free to vote for your favorite OST.

Edited by Køkø

My favorite would have to be Echoes. It did an amazing job remixing Gaiden's tracks, embracing the simplicity of the original 8-bit score while adding some modern character. It felt nice to listen to all of the revamped versions of "With Mila's Divine Protection" after hearing it in Brawl for all these years. The original tracks were pretty neat as well. "Scions Dancing Into Purgatory" features several elements that I've never heard in a Fire Emblem OST before. Finally, I found the vocal track that plays over the credits, "Heritors of Arcadia", to be better than Fates' "Lost In Thoughts All Alone." 

My previous favorite was Awakening. I thought they managed all of the different motifs pretty well, with "Don't Speak Her Name" and "Id (Purpose)"

Definitely FE4 for me. I find myself listening to the OST the most!

I love how every map has its own fitting music and armies as well. Adds a lot of personality to the game and the countries. Especially the music for Chapter 5 and then followed by upbeat and hopeful Chapter 6.

This kind gentleman even super extended the OST:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjVQKqwGK-TJv_L6j7wTgow

Next? Hard to say. Maybe FE5 and FE8. Thracia is simply moody and darker and has probably my top favorite map theme outside of FE4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avEH9YH5ZGQ

Seriously... Dang.

As for Sacred Stones... I find the OST the best out of the GBA games. Has a certain characteristic I simply like a lot!

Edited by MadJak91

I voted RD, but I'd put PoR up there with it too! Tellius just has the most beautiful music ever, and it helps that RD's music is orchestrated too (well, not literally, it's just written as if it would be performed by an orchestra). But nothing beats tracks like Eternal Bond/Ike's Theme, Stalwarts Unite/With Us!, Victory is Near, Unstoppable Destiny/Against the Black Knight, and more, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

I really like all Fire Emblem music, but my favourite has to be from Sacred Stones. The map themes especially give such a calm, and a bit depressing, feeling, which I like.

Judgral comes second. I especially like the map themes, and it's cool that each chapter has a different one.

Okay you know what? I only listened to the revamped versions of Gaiden's soundtrack. After seeing all the Echoes votes I checked out some of the original tracks and wow! I'm not a fan of vocals but these songs are amazing! Can't wait to get this game.

FE15 is the best, for me, with the remix of the final map theme being my new favorite song in the franchise (it was previously Path of the Divine Generals from FE6).  I really liked Gaiden's OST before, and I think FE15 did a glorious job updating it.

FE6 has some nice map themes, even though I'm not quite as fond of Beyond the Sky as most I like pretty much every other map theme in FE6 quite a bit.  The enemy phase themes are pretty good as well (especially Polar Region and Frontier).  The real stars of FE6's OST, aside from the aforementioned Path of the Divine Generals, are probably the boss themes.  FE6 has some really good boss themes.  The story themes, particularly the Wyvern General's themes, Idoun's theme, and Guinevere's theme, also stick out for me.

FE7 has Reminiscence.  And also Distant Travels.  Aside from that I didn't find FE7's OST nearly as memorable as 6's.  FE8 meanwhile has Lyon's themes and some really awesome map themes (looking at Determination, Rise Above, and Truth, Despair, and Hope in particular).  FE4, FE10, and CQ have really enjoyable map themes too.

For what I didn't like, I found FE9's soundtrack pretty underwhelming aside from To My Love and Congregation of Ambition, and FE1's OST isn't nearly as awesome as FE2's.  They're not horrible, but compared to the rest of the series they don't do it for me.

Echoes:SoV for me.

Heritor's of Arcadia is an amazing track. I love listening to the bass in the background. Fun fact, Bonnie Gordon, the voice of Silque , sings this song which is pretty cool.

The Fell God's Tempest is my current ringtone.

Edited by KongDude

probably fe10

echoes is pretty good too, but I don't find as many songs memorable and I think the leitmotifs are used a bit too much, particularly the title screen

i really like a lot of the map themes, but I can hardly remember a lot of other tracks

not really sure which i like more out of those two

Edited by unique

My favorite is New Mystery of the Emblem's. I feel like its soundtrack is the one that best captures the feeling of adventure. Some of my favorite songs in it are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Uhb557ENc&list=PLA1ED94C845E2FEED&index=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK-_jv3Fnvo&list=PLA1ED94C845E2FEED&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl2PuhtvWMk&list=PLA1ED94C845E2FEED&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoKNlMoOA0I&list=PLA1ED94C845E2FEED&index=11

Second place is Awakening, and third place is Genealogy of the Holy War

I really should listen to more of Awakening's, Fates's, and SoV's OSTs. The Japan-only games I don't listen to unless they have an international remake to save the audio wonder until then. I really only recall FE7-11's soundtracks that well, each OST has its high points and its low points, but I'm fond of RD's the most.

I do like listening all of the renditions of the Fire Emblem Theme available on SF from time to time. Here are my rankings (in-game, opening version when available, somewhat flexible):

High:

FE4 (grand and well executed- truly it paves the way for the story ahead, my absolute favorite by far!)

FE5 (not quite Holy War's equal, but being it's little brother with its own flavor ain't half bad at all)

FE1 (titled "Opening Title ~ Demo" under The Best Vol. 1. Despite its age, it's the Fire Emblem Theme shorn of all ornamentation, and on a purely technical level is it still so very solid.)

Mid:

FEs11&12 (I believe their versions are identical)

FE10 E3 Version (I shouldn't list this one, but I like the fast pace)

FE8 (and I really like the ending version in this game too)

FE10

FE6

FE9 (ending version only in FE9, I think I overdosed on it as a kid, it's a bit annoying to me now, but it isn't bad objectively)

Low:

FE3

FE7

Brawl (I don't really like this take on the theme, it tries to be grand, but it's kinda messy and grandiose for grandiosity's sake- FE4 has it beat)

FE2 (The Best Vol. 1 Disc 2- "Ending 1"; the Fire Emblem Theme is only part of the piece, but it's all there is of it in Gaiden- FE2 isn't big on it)

Definitely Genealogy of the Holy War. The fact that it has a unique theme for each chapter is something that I truly find admirable, especially for the time.

Gaiden is pretty high up there too, despite that I've never been particularly fond of the game itself. I have yet to play the remake, but from what I've heard off YouTube it's pretty solid in that department.

• 2 weeks later...

As a sucker for a good orchestra, Shadows of Valentia wins this for me. I remember listening to the pre-release clips of a couple of tracks and I was like, god damn, I'm getting the special edition just for the CD.

Other tracks I like are:

- Lost in Thoughts All Alone: Big fan, though I do like The Heritors of Arcadia more.

- Don't Speak Her Name: Very fitting song for the chapter it plays in.

- Id (Purpose): Robin's personal theme which fits him very nicely.

- Life Returns: Oh goodness me, I love the herons, I love songs with vocals in video games, good god this is a masterpiece.

- Together We Ride: Absolute beauty.

- All versions of the Fire Emblem theme.

- If they count...all the songs from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE