What is Fay's Canon Class?

Have you all noticed that of the villagers you get in the beginning there are strong indications that Tobin is supposed to be an archer, Grey a mercenary, and Kliff a mage but there's nothing for Faye? Well I think I figured out her canon class and it's......cavalier. I have tried her as a mage and this time around as a cavalier and both of those she does well in. However I was in a dungeon and she was fatigues, now I'm not sure if you know this or not but certain character respond more favorably to specific food items. For example Clive's fatigue will be restored a lot quicker if you give him either meat or garlic. Now for Faye her preferred food item is carrots. Who prefers carrots over oranges? Nobody. Now carrots are also a common snack to be given to horses, so the fact that Faye responds the best to carrots may very well indicate that her class is supposed to be cavalier. In addition you get an early game unit of every unit type except cavalier the only cavalier you will get is Clive and by then part 1 is almost over. If Faye's class is supposed to be cavalier that would mean you get 1 of everything.

1 Knight (Lukas)

1 Mercenary (Grey)

1 Archer (Tobin)

1 Mage ( Kliff)

1 Cleric (Silque)

1 Pegasus Rider (Clair)

1 Cavalier (Faye)

Ok granted I'm not taking this super seriously nor do I expect you to either but I found this a very interesting coincidence nonetheless.

Have you all noticed that of the villagers you get in the beginning there are strong indications that Tobin is supposed to be an archer, Grey a mercenary, and Kliff a mage but there's nothing for Faye? Well I think I figured out her canon class and it's......cavalier. I have tried her as a mage and this time around as a cavalier and both of those she does well in. However I was in a dungeon and she was fatigues, now I'm not sure if you know this or not but certain character respond more favorably to specific food items. For example Clive's fatigue will be restored a lot quicker if you give him either meat or garlic. Now for Faye her preferred food item is carrots. Who prefers carrots over oranges? Nobody. Now carrots are also a common snack to be given to horses, so the fact that Faye responds the best to carrots may very well indicate that her class is supposed to be cavalier. In addition you get an early game unit of every unit type except cavalier the only cavalier you will get is Clive and by then part 1 is almost over. If Faye's class is supposed to be cavalier that would mean you get 1 of everything.

1 Knight (Lukas)

1 Mercenary (Grey)

1 Archer (Tobin)

1 Mage ( Kliff)

1 Cleric (Silque)

1 Pegasus Rider (Clair)

1 Cavalier (Faye)

Ok granted I'm not taking this super seriously nor do I expect you to either but I found this a very interesting coincidence nonetheless.

Just now, KongDude said:

She's canonically a Peg knight. Her cipher depicts her as one and she's been represented as it the most (to me at least).

Ahh. I haven't seen any of that, still that would tie in with my carrots = horses theory.

Also, part of your theory is flawed. You say you get every type of unit (as in class) in the beginning. This is incorrect. You get them all as villagers excluding Lukas. It's there canon classes, but it is not there base class.You don't get a mage until chapter 3 and you never get a Merc in Alm's route.

I actually don't think Faye really has a canon class. (And, incidentally, I don't think Atlas does, either.) Maybe she's been depicted as a Pegasus Knight a lot in Cipher; I couldn't really tell you.

She's the only character in the entire game to gain access to the Anew spell if you make her a Cleric, in which she also has a full list of six spells, so that counts for something, I'd say.

Really, I'm not a fan of the whole "canon" classes notion in general. I feel it sorta undermines the customizability aspect of these characters by introducing a "correct" or "canon" choice to the equation.

Unlike how Grey, Tobin and Kliff's canon classes are implied by looking at some elements in the Ram village, it's not the case for Faye.

However all the villagers got their first arts in Cipher and they all depicted their implied canon classes so I guess it's fair that the Faye's first cipher card (her second one depicts her as a female Mage/Priestress) considers the PK class as her canon one. I don't remember if Pegasi like eating carrots though since there are flying horses I guess they do.

It's worth to say that she is also the only unit who can learn Freeze as a Priestress and Anew as a Saint so Cleric and Mage would also make more sense to me than Cavalier being her canon class.

You could really make a case for all her classes.

She was shown as a cavalier in the majority of promo videos prior to the release of the game.

Cipher depicts her as a pegasus knight in 3 cards, one of which is an R+. Also later promo vids showed her as one too.

As a cleric she gains Anew, and she is the only one capable of learning this spell.

Then for mage, she recently got a promo card as a priestess and the first time we saw her, she was a mage. So yeah.

To anyone who manages this site somehow my post got posted twice. I'm not sure how this happened and I don't know how to remove it.

To everyone else, you all raise some interesting points such as "canon" classes for the villagers take away from the customization you can do and I agree. I don't always take canon classes seriously with units like villagers for instance on my first run I made a Kliff a cavalier. I just found the fact that Faye really likes carrots interesting and thought that it would make a fun post.

I'd say that Pegasus Knight is Faye's canon class, since her Pegasus Knight Cipher card was released alongside of Mercenary Gray's, Archer Robin's, and Mage Kliff's cards (and those 3 are heavily considered canon due to elements in Ram Village implying that's where their skills lie). Plus, Pegasus Knight was Faye's very first Cipher card. Also, Pegasus Knight really fits in well with the reoccurring trope of Pegasus Knights liking guys who don't return their feelings (eg: Catria liking Marth, Cordelia liking Chrom, etc.)

Even though a lot of people say Cleric for Faye due to her great spell list, I really don't think Cleric works well for her character-wise due to her supports with Alm saying she's willing to kill in Alm's name. I mean, a Cleric would probably be the last class that'd ever say something like that.

Villager.

Literally everyone's canon class is villager if you want to go by dialogue.

Even if the environment hints it with Robin having a Bow, Kliff having scorched stuff with Fire Magic, and Gray being proficient in mercenary class: The canon depiction of every character in media is their starting class.

Effie's starting class is neither Cleric, nor pegasus knight.

Cipher doesn't indicate anything in regards to the actual definition of "canon". Like it or not.

Edited by shadowofchaos

22 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

Villager.

Literally everyone's canon class is villager if you want to go by dialogue.

Even if the environment hints it with Robin having a Bow, Kliff having scorched stuff with Fire Magic, and Gray being proficient in mercenary class: The canon depiction of every character in media is their starting class.

Effie's starting class is neither Cleric, nor pegasus knight.

Cipher doesn't indicate anything in regards to the actual definition of "canon". Like it or not.

This.
Although you did confuse me with 'Effie' there for a second.

I make her either a Cleric, because you can never have enough healers or a Mage because she looks best as a Priestess because she's stronger than either Kliff or Tobin as one, at least from my experience.

I never make her a Cavalier, because you have Clive, Mathilda and Zeke and because I never liked the class in general.
Pegasus Knights might be good, but I think Clair and maybe Emma from the upcoming DLC (depending on how strong she is) are enough fliers on Alm's route.

Since most enemies are less inclined to survive magic than physical blows, especially those pesky Barons and Gold Knights, making her another magic-oriented unit is the best bet, I think. Having someone who can reliably tank AND kill them is incredibly useful. Delthea might be better overall as a Mage or Priestess, but she can't take physical attacks at all, so having someone to compensate that is good. In fact, the two complement each other pretty well, with Delthea tanking most magic and Faye tanking most physical attacks.

But I wouldn't say any of those classes are 'canon' by any stretch of the imagination.