Different routes (NOT THE FATES WAY)

Different routes through the game is something not a stranger to the Fire Emblem games. After Thracia 776's choice between Nohrden Line and Leonster's Gate vs. The Dark Forest and The First Rain of May, they have become something of a tradition. Aside from Fates, however, we haven't seen them in a while. The last time it happened was Sacred Stones.

Would you like to see them return, and not like Fates?

I kind of don't, since it locks you out of content. I am fine with encouraging replayability, but replaying the whole game to see 2-3 new maps and a handful of new characters isn't a good enough incentive.

They'd have to really make the branching paths distinct and big enough to justify it beyond just different maps and characters.

So long as they don't determine it like Sacae/Illia in FE6, or  Four Fanged Offense/Pale Flower of Darkness in FE7.  I have never been to Sacae, and have never done Lloyd FFO or Jerme PFoD because of what unit types I like to use.  

If the selection method is more direct, like FE8, I'm more or less fine with it.  But yeah, no overworking and trying to make three games again please.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

If there's a type of route splits I like is the way it was done in RD. The group actually splits, instead of the whole group chosing between Path A or Path B. As an avid SRW player, it's the type of route split I see the most. Hah, in fact, some games can get crazy with the route splits. Like so. Heh, just imagine the replayability for those wanting to unlock everything.

Then again, FE isn't as much content filled as SRW, so yeah.

So yeah, that's the kind of route splits I would like to see. Actual group split, and perhaps with up to three paths.

I would like something like Sacred Stones, just have the routes be longer and have more of a reason to pick a certain route other than 'Do you want more story, but with less difficulty with the arguably worse lord or more difficulty, but less story with the arguably better lord?'

Difficult. As a bit of a completionist, I really hate when games make me choose between two small or even medium-sized differences - I'm mad at Echoes because I'm going to have to go replay the whole thing for literally nothing new except Deen. On the other hand, Fates was a mess, even if I liked the concept. Basically, my perfect idea of routes would be Fates done properly - as in, take roughly five to ten years actually fleshing everything out, working out the weird plotholes that make the game more hole-y than swiss cheese, fixing several character outfits so I can actually recommend this to younger players without having to explain away people like Camilla, etc., etc. I'll admit I haven't played Sacred Stones very far yet, so a Re:Sacred Stones might be a better way to go for routes, but so far nothing I've seen has me actually liking it.

This has been brought up before but branching paths are a huge pain for completionists or people who just want to get every character. I would honestly prefer a split-up deal kind of like in Gaiden/SoV except the two teams meet up and separate on multiple occasions. Sacred Stones could have been even better if you could play Eirika's and Ephraim's routes simultaneously.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If there's a type of route splits I like is the way it was done in RD. The group actually splits, instead of the whole group chosing between Path A or Path B. As an avid SRW player, it's the type of route split I see the most. Hah, in fact, some games can get crazy with the route splits. Like so. Heh, just imagine the replayability for those wanting to unlock everything.

The problem with this is the fact that level-ups in FE are randomized, which means that if you decide to go on a certain route in the way you describe, you could be stuck with a bunch of untrained or RNG-screwed characters against your will.

2 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

The problem with this is the fact that level-ups in FE are randomized, which means that if you decide to go on a certain route in the way you describe, you could be stuck with a bunch of untrained or RNG-screwed characters against your will.

Was that a problem in RD?

But I suppose it is a point. In comparison, SRW doesn't have randomized level up stat increases, and enemy levels aren't static, they scale to yours. And I guess in the extreme they also have the Game Over trick. Ah well...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, GreatHylian said:

This has been brought up before but branching paths are a huge pain for completionists or people who just want to get every character. I would honestly prefer a split-up deal kind of like in Gaiden/SoV except the two teams meet up and separate on multiple occasions. Sacred Stones could have been even better if you could play Eirika's and Ephraim's routes simultaneously.

How about this idea: Later on in the game, when the routes join up, there could be a Paralogue where you can recruit those you didn't because of your route. For example...

Let's say on Route A you earn Priest, Mage and Shaman. Then, on Route B, you recruit Warrior, Myrmidon and Knight. If you chose Route A, then on Chapter 22 you can initiate a Paralogue in which either during or after you recruit Warrior, Myrmidon and Knight. And vice-versa. Does that work?

That solves the issue of missable characters but not the issue of missing story content. I really like how Gaiden/ SoV allowed you to play both routs at the same time.

Using Sacred Stones as an example, what if the siblings met up as normal but split a la Gaiden and kept the parties they started with? Ephraim's group would be tiny but you could give him all the new characters and/ or redo his maps to have fewer enemies to compensate.

19 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

That solves the issue of missable characters but not the issue of missing story content. I really like how Gaiden/ SoV allowed you to play both routs at the same time.

Using Sacred Stones as an example, what if the siblings met up as normal but split a la Gaiden and kept the parties they started with? Ephraim's group would be tiny but you could give him all the new characters and/ or redo his maps to have fewer enemies to compensate.

Good point, and interesting idea, respectively.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

I kind of don't, since it locks you out of content. I am fine with encouraging replayability, but replaying the whole game to see 2-3 new maps and a handful of new characters isn't a good enough incentive.

Agreed. In this regard, I think Fates had the right idea. The wrong idea was focusing all the marketing on this choice when the player doesn't make that choice through any means other than DLC. Scummy.

Okay, I had a different idea. Let's say that the game has a split between two routes... relatively early on? Chapter 5 or 6-ish. Then, later on in both routes, there is ANOTHER route split, turning from Route A and Route B to Route A1, Route A2, Route B1 and Route B2. What would you think of that?

31 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Okay, I had a different idea. Let's say that the game has a split between two routes... relatively early on? Chapter 5 or 6-ish. Then, later on in both routes, there is ANOTHER route split, turning from Route A and Route B to Route A1, Route A2, Route B1 and Route B2. What would you think of that?

Ugh, worse. I have to play the game four times. Or buy the game four times.

I vastly prefer a game with the ability to do all its side content in a single playthrough if I care enough. Replayability through locking out content is not something I care for in any game. 

Echoes is the safest best, but I actually rather like FE6's (without the unit level bullshit. I want the game to ask me which route I want to go). If there are story consequences for picking A instead of B, even better (something like "well, you took path A, that means you weren't there when enemies invaded path B").

I can think of three route splits that I'd like:

- Mix Echoes with RD, that way your units get separated but reunite in the end.

- Choosing between A/B routes like FE6.

- Same as above, but you're still forced to go through the route you didn't pick. The difference is that route A/B will be changed by your choices and there will be story consequences along with map changes. Maybe the resistance of B route was crushed and their leaders are being held captive as the enemy took that territory in your absence, or they stole the Macguffin you were supposed to obtain and are using it against you.

15 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Echoes is the safest best, but I actually rather like FE6's (without the unit level bullshit. I want the game to ask me which route I want to go). If there are story consequences for picking A instead of B, even better (something like "well, you took path A, that means you weren't there when enemies invaded path B").

I can think of three route splits that I'd like:

- Mix Echoes with RD, that way your units get separated but reunite in the end.

- Choosing between A/B routes like FE6.

- Same as above, but you're still forced to go through the route you didn't pick. The difference is that route A/B will be changed by your choices and there will be story consequences along with map changes. Maybe the resistance of B route was crushed and their leaders are being held captive as the enemy took that territory in your absence, or they stole the Macguffin you were supposed to obtain and are using it against you.

Okay. Holy shit, that third idea is fucking amazing and I want that to happen.

10 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Okay. Holy shit, that third idea is fucking amazing and I want that to happen.

Yeah it sounds great. On a side note, what if there was a game where you can choose a route and all the characters in the route you didn't select slowly join the enemy army until the last couple chapters where you face off against the main villain and his army of soldiers that you couldn't recruit. Somewhat like Thracia 776 and the Dreadlords

I admit it would be frustrating and potentially heartbreaking but it sounds like it could make for an excellent plot.

I'd also like either Gaiden/SoV style or RD part 4 style.

For potential Elibe remakes I hope they let us decide between the choices directly and get rid of how it was originally.

Another idea I had: Having the group split into two to deal with two threats simultaneously.

I'm the type of player who likes to have every character available on the same team and such (So choices like Sonya/Deen bother me), so I wouldn't want to see too much route splitting. In fact, I hacked my Revelation file just to give myself Yukimura, Izana, and Scarlet after I beat the game.

One idea I had was to give the player choices that affect which characters they can recruit and which maps they get to play on, but after beating the game open up access to bonus maps that give you the characters and items you missed out on. That way the story still has elements of choice and replayability, but completionists like myself can still be appeased and have everything available in a single file.

3 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I'm the type of player who likes to have every character available on the same team and such (So choices like Sonya/Deen bother me), so I wouldn't want to see too much route splitting. In fact, I hacked my Revelation file just to give myself Yukimura, Izana, and Scarlet after I beat the game.

One idea I had was to give the player choices that affect which characters they can recruit and which maps they get to play on, but after beating the game open up access to bonus maps that give you the characters and items you missed out on. That way the story still has elements of choice and replayability, but completionists like myself can still be appeased and have everything available in a single file.

I'd love this too! Sacred Stones did something similar by letting you unlock boss characters in the endgame, I really enjoyed that~