FE4 Gen1: who should I give the rings to?

Flee Fleet!

So, yeah, what the title says. I was playing through Genealogy again, and I wanted to know which unit will benefit most from which rings throughout Gen1?

As of now I decided to give Azel the Speed Ring, but who should I give the other rings to?

I always put the Knight Ring and Leg Ring to Sylvia for utility.

The Magic Ring is must for azel.

I put power ring to Raquesis, until she became Master Knight, but is good with alec or arya.

Shield, Skill and Barrier are very good with anybody, even with Quan or Sidgurd.

Pursuit is good for lex and noish because they don't have that ability, or jamke if you want to make him father.

Elite and Speed are good with anybody too.

But this is my opinion from my experience

Everything to Sigurd. Even the stuff that's useless for him. Sigurd+Light Sword+Magic Ring is totally a good idea!
Power: Any physical unit with mediocre strength to help them KO things.
Magic: Just throw it on Azel or Levin or something. More attack can't hurt.
Skill: Units with inaccurate weapons, like Lex, would like it. Alternatively, you can try giving it to Aira/Holyn to increase their skill rates.
Speed: I like giving it to Sigurd and going to town. Helps him become even better doubling with javelins and whatnot.
Shield: Give it to a tank. Lex likes this thing.
Barrier: Gen 1 has few status staves to dodge, so it doesn't particularly matter here. Everyone has horrible res, Claude aside, so give it to a favourite.
Leg: Sylvia. Alternatively, Sigurd. Both are kind of crazy with them.
Knight: Sylvia. Combine Leg and Knight for beauty.
Pursuit: I like giving it to Levin for that sweet overkill. Two hits of Holsety?
Bargain: I give it to Aideen for cheap staff spam.
Elite: EVERYONE. Swap it around for the arenas. Make sure Sigurd has it at the end of Chapter 5. Just trust me on that one.

Edited by Darrman

Assuming you're trying to use everyone: (General rule of thumb is Sigurd loves every stat ring but I'm assuming you want to mix it up, and you should end ch 5 with him holding a lot of rings, notably the power/speed/leg/knight/elite rings)

Power: A lot of guys really like this. Finn and Midir are my personal favorites since finn can get +20 damage if he doubles with the hero lance and midir just kinda has crap stats
Magic: Alec does good damage with a magic sword + this since Paladins get +5 magic on promotion and he's the paladin that doubles. Alternatively, it helps Azel do a bit more damage once he gets a Wind tome.
Skill: Sell it and never look back. It's not too bad on Noish or Ayra since it gives them a 5% extra chance to proc stuff but it honestly doesn't matter much.
Speed: Sigurd with this almost never has to worry about doubling. Finn might need it early if he gets stat screwed. It also gives Quan/Noish a 5% extra chance to proc continue, so that's something.
Shield: Someone whose defense is okay but not too high since enemies will ignore them. Finn comes to mind, as does Alec or Noish.
Barrier: Everyone wants this ring.
Leg: Sylvia for utility or Sigurd to get to villages/castles quicker and safer. It's okay on Erin too since she can fly over the awful terrain in Ch 4/5
Return: Good on Sigurd in ch 4 when you have to walk all the way back to the main castle from the top right. Pretty worthless elsewhere.
Knight: Sylvia
Elite: Alec/Noish really like it early since it helps them rush to 20. Otherwise just pass it around in the arena. Good also when you plan to feed a group of enemies to one unit, like the ch 3 pirates.
The Power of Pursuit: Quan likes it but really only has ch 3 to abuse the hell out of it. Pretty good on Lewyn and Noish otherwise.
Bargain: Give it to the dude you want to level up with the Elite Ring after the dude who picks it up from the boss levels up. Lachesis, Alec, and Noish are all very good picks.
Life: If you do get it, it's good on any frontliner.

(Long time no see, everyone)

Here's my take on it:
Power: As everyone said, give it to someone with low-ish Power so that they can still have good damage output through the game, like Midayle, Dew or Alec
Magic: While a Magic user is still a good choice for it, a surprisingly decent combo is to have Alec get it, and give him a Magic Sword afterwards. Thanks to that and his +5 Magic on promotion, he'll be able to one-round a few enemies on Chapter 2-3, and still have great damage output afterwards ;)
Skill: Give it to someone with procable skills, like the sword twins, Noish or anyone with the Killer Bow
Speed: Someone with both Pursuit and a heavy weapon type, like Azel and his Fire tomes, Finn, and Lex if he has the POWER OF PURSUIT
Shield: Someone with decent, but not great defense, like Sigurd, Noish and Finn
Barrier: That doesn't really matter since Magic will do a lot of damage to you anyways, but I think giving it to a good 1-2 range unit may help your case, so that he can become a sorta mage-killer
Leg: Just give it to your favorite foot unit!
Knight: Same as above
Return: ...Does it really matter?
Paragon: While Lachesis should get it first so that she can promote faster to the badass Master Knight class, you can pass it around for arena shenanigans afterwards so that others can promote faster as well :)
Life: Good on anyone in the frontlines frequently
Bargain: Give it to someone with a expensive (and often holy) weapon to repair, so that it costs less money for them
And finally, give the POWER OF PURSUIT to either Noish or Lex, since Levin can still ORKO things quite well with his base skillset tbh

Speed - Finn or Azel

Magic - Dierdre (sell after chapter 3 arena)

Bargain - Ethlin (do not remove this)

Nothing else really matters, but you'll want Sigurd carrying the Elite/Paragon, Leg, Power, and Knight ring before chapter 5 ends.

I give the speed ring to Fin immediately so he can double bows early on. Other than that it really doesn't matter - mostly just go for inheritance or put them on your favorite units.

Okay then,  so I guess I've decided after reading the posts: 

Power Ring: to Midir, because he has medicore strength. I thought giving it to Alec as well, but I don't like Alec, so no.

Magic Ring: To Azel, although I might give it to Lewyn later on unless he manages to increase his Mag (but he criticals a lot most of the time anyways so, maybe it's not necessary). I don't tend to have Sigurd or the Cavaliers use Magic Swords, so they don't get the ring.

Skill Ring: I'll just let Ayra keep it for now, though I might pass it around to Noish or Holyn, and maybe even Jamke.

Speed Ring: Will definitely keep it on Azel for now, thanks to his heavy tomes. Although he currently has a lot of speed (17 to be exact), so should I give it to someone else soon?

Shield: Mainly my mages and Sylvia have the lowest defense. Should I give it to one of them instead, or just go with someone like Sigurd?

Barrier: As most of you said, everyone has crap Res except Deirdre. I'll give it to Jamke I guess.

Elite: I'll just pass this one around the arena (except to Lex, since he has the skill). Hopefully my units would have enough money to buy it. But I'll definitely give it first to Lachesis to become a Master Knight.

Return: I'll give it to Sigurd so I wouldn't need a healer or Lachesis to Warp him around every time he seizes a castle. Or maybe to Claude, if it so happens I need to revive someone.

Bargain: To Lachesis unless she has enough money to buy the Elite Ring. Otherwise, I'll give to Sigurd so he can repair the Tyfring easily. Or I'll give it to Ethlin, as one person suggested.

Life: To either one sword wielding horse units or Erin.

Knight Ring: Sylvia or Ayra. Maybe Ayra.

The POWER OF PURSUIT will either go to Noish or Lex. Lewyn is already good enough even without Pursuit, in my opinion.

Now, I can't decide for one ring:

The Leg Ring: I want to give to Sylvia for more efficient utility (unless I get her killed), but I also want to give it to Aideen just so it's easier for her to heal people. 

Honestly I never even grab bargain. It appears in gen 2 right in front of the first boss Shanan fights, and discount Balmung repair is great.

Even with the heavy tomes 17 speed should let Azel double. That said you can give him a wind or a thunder. He's not just restricted to fire after all.

Did you get Lex's hero axe? He shouldn't need the pursuit ring if you gave that to him.

46 minutes ago, Darros said:

Honestly I never even grab bargain. It appears in gen 2 right in front of the first boss Shanan fights, and discount Balmung repair is great.

Even with the heavy tomes 17 speed should let Azel double. That said you can give him a wind or a thunder. He's not just restricted to fire after all.

Did you get Lex's hero axe? He shouldn't need the pursuit ring if you gave that to him.

I decided to just get it anyways, since I want to save all villages this playthrough. 

I decided to give Azel a Thunder tome, and as you said, he still might double. So I guess I'll have him sell it.

Yeah I got the Hero Axe. Then I'll have Noish get the Pursuit Ring instead.