General Warriors & FE Warriors Questions Thread

Jedi

Just now, Folt said:

Yeah.

Or it might be that everyone's unique weapon has a 100% unique moveset, but the generic movesets will actually be based on what class the character wielding them is, so that an Iron Sword or Levin Sword moveset would be fairly different depending on whether the character is a Swordmaster or Paladin for example.

Interesting thats a mixture of the idea that NantenJex of source gaming gave and my idea that it'll be fairly unique.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jedi said:

Interesting thats a mixture of the idea that NantenJex of source gaming gave and my idea that it'll be fairly unique.

They'd probably actually have to make multiple generic movesets for each weapon type that'd correspond to certain classes if they're a thing because Xander is not gonna dismount off of his horse as a Paladin.

This is a bit of a generic question, but to those who played Hyrule Warriors: Where was the challenge in the game derived from?  

I remember playing Hyrule Warriors for a little bit on a friends console but, not being invested in the world of LoZ or liking hack and slash gameplay, I didn't really enjoy it.  Because of this I am incredibly cautious in relation to ordering or buying FE Warriors.  So far the gameplay looks interesting to me and when asking other people on YouTube and Reddit about their experiences with Hyrule Warriors most replied positively.  Nevertheless, I would like to ask people on here about their experiences with this game style, Hyrule Warriors or Dynasty Warriors.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

This is a bit of a generic question, but to those who played Hyrule Warriors: Where was the challenge in the game derived from?  

I remember playing Hyrule Warriors for a little bit on a friends console but, not being invested in the world of LoZ or liking hack and slash gameplay, I didn't really enjoy it.  Because of this I am incredibly cautious in relation to ordering or buying FE Warriors.  So far the gameplay looks interesting to me and when asking other people on YouTube and Reddit about their experiences with Hyrule Warriors most replied positively.  Nevertheless, I would like to ask people on here about their experiences with this game style, Hyrule Warriors or Dynasty Warriors.

The way I, as someone who doesn't really play Musou games, was challenged would often be in juggling objectives while being mindful of the time.  For example, I might have to take the enemy's base within fifteen minutes, but make sure that A) none of the other ally commanders fell in battle and B) my own base isn't taken.  Sometimes even simple objectives could be made difficult.  For example, on a level where you have to KO 500 hundred enemies, they might throw in, like, three boss enemies that pursue you relentlessly and four commanders who significantly buff all the enemies (including themselves and the bosses), making it hard for you to focus on simply taking out all the generic foes.

There were also random surprises like this level where Gorons would send boulders down to damage the ally base.  So I had to take the boulder keeps while trying to push for the objective, which was tricky because the enemies were really good at taking those boulder keeps back really quickly, so I had to move even quicker for that objective.

I would compare this sort of strategising to your typical defense or escape missions in FE.  You'd be surprised how much actual strategy goes into these games.  Maybe Jedi or another Warriors fan could describe it in more detail or pull up some good videos to help demonstrate how those games can be challenging.  And if nothing else, it might still be fun for you if you're invested in the worlds and characters of Awakening, Fates, or Archanea (among maybe other possible FE worlds).

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

The way I, as someone who doesn't really play Musou games, was challenged would often be in juggling objectives while being mindful of the time.  For example, I might have to take the enemy's base within fifteen minutes, but make sure that A) none of the other ally commanders fell in battle and B) my own base isn't taken.  Sometimes even simple objectives could be made difficult.  For example, on a level where you have to KO 500 hundred enemies, they might throw in, like, three boss enemies that pursue you relentlessly and four commanders who significantly buff all the enemies (including themselves and the bosses), making it hard for you to focus on simply taking out all the generic foes.

There were also random surprises like this level where Gorons would send boulders down to damage the ally base.  So I had to take the boulder keeps while trying to push for the objective, which was tricky because the enemies were really good at taking those boulder keeps back really quickly, so I had to move even quicker for that objective.

I would compare this sort of strategising to your typical defense or escape missions in FE.  You'd be surprised how much actual strategy goes into these games.  Maybe Jedi or another Warriors fan could describe it in more detail or pull up some good videos to help demonstrate how those games can be challenging.  And if nothing else, it might still be fun for you if you're invested in the worlds and characters of Awakening, Fates, or Archanea (among maybe other possible FE worlds).

5 hours ago, Mox said:

The various objectives and figuring out how to best utilize your movesets & skills among other things are the key difficulty things in Warriors, although some of the older games just plain out murdered you if you got hit a few times (especially by archers). But people complained that the games shouldn't be super hard. 

But yeah the tactical aspects are going to be more your ability to multitask and figure out who to put who where, when. At its heart it looks like a mindless spectacle fighter, you have to dig a little bit for the nuances. It's not for everyone I will fully admit right now. Speedrunners also have fun trying to figure out how to best abuse their movement options to do everything in a map asap. 

Samurai Warriors was probably the best at balancing gameplay with difficulty via its objectives. Maybe you should try 4-II which is on sale right now on Steam.

Edited by Jedi

@Ertrick36 @Jedi

Thank you both for your input, both of your comments confirm what I have heard from other people regarding this type of game and what to expect.  I really like the idea of balancing objectives and unexpected events, and comparing them to FE escape levels was a bit of a sigh of relief because I really enjoy that style of gameplay.  Better yet, I prefer defence styled gameplay and thoroughly enjoy those levels so if there are some like that I would probably enjoy it regardless.  I've been watching quite a bit of ZeldaMaster's videos on Hyrule Warriors over the past few days and could see where some of the elements of challenge came into play, especially when he was trying to fight Giraham and the allied base kept being put at risk, so he'd leave for a minute and then have to return to it.  

Also, he mentioned co-op, usually I'm not into that sort of this but for this game it could be fun, especially with my boyfriend who also has doubts about this game but is getting into fire emblem because of my rampant enthusiasm.  Do you think there's a chance a co-op mode may be included? 

The speed running aspect may also be something new to consider as I have never attempted a speedrun before and have always found it interesting.  

Thanks for the suggestion about Samurai Warriors, maybe I might watch some gameplay on it instead of buying it because I'm a little strapped for cash right now and have a lot of uni work to do in preparation for my prac.  

Thank you both for your help, if I have any more questions I'll address them here and I'll continue to watch the threads into the lead up to the release of Warriors.

4 hours ago, Mox said:

@Ertrick36 @Jedi

Thank you both for your input, both of your comments confirm what I have heard from other people regarding this type of game and what to expect.  I really like the idea of balancing objectives and unexpected events, and comparing them to FE escape levels was a bit of a sigh of relief because I really enjoy that style of gameplay.  Better yet, I prefer defence styled gameplay and thoroughly enjoy those levels so if there are some like that I would probably enjoy it regardless.  I've been watching quite a bit of ZeldaMaster's videos on Hyrule Warriors over the past few days and could see where some of the elements of challenge came into play, especially when he was trying to fight Giraham and the allied base kept being put at risk, so he'd leave for a minute and then have to return to it.  

Also, he mentioned co-op, usually I'm not into that sort of this but for this game it could be fun, especially with my boyfriend who also has doubts about this game but is getting into fire emblem because of my rampant enthusiasm.  Do you think there's a chance a co-op mode may be included? 

The speed running aspect may also be something new to consider as I have never attempted a speedrun before and have always found it interesting.  

Thanks for the suggestion about Samurai Warriors, maybe I might watch some gameplay on it instead of buying it because I'm a little strapped for cash right now and have a lot of uni work to do in preparation for my prac.  

Thank you both for your help, if I have any more questions I'll address them here and I'll continue to watch the threads into the lead up to the release of Warriors.

No problem, i'm glad I could help.

7 hours ago, Mox said:

@Ertrick36 @Jedi

I've had lots of fun trying to get a better time with my characters in Hyrule Warriors. Particularly in Adventure Mode where amount of KOs and Damage Taken where also considered besides how fast I managed to clear it. Figuring out how to do everything optimally (what to kill first, what I had to keep an eye on and potentially save, effective combos with the particular character I had, taking as little damage as possible) was quite the blast.

7 minutes ago, Folt said:

I've had lots of fun trying to get a better time with my characters in Hyrule Warriors. Particularly in Adventure Mode where amount of KOs and Damage Taken where also considered besides how fast I managed to clear it. Figuring out how to do everything optimally (what to kill first, what I had to keep an eye on and potentially save, effective combos with the particular character I had, taking as little damage as possible) was quite the blast.

Something I had alot of fun with back when I used to play with my Mom, Dad or friends with Warriors games was competing for KO Count, that was always a blast too.

Sheik was my go to in HW, she was fun to master, but her low damage meant I had to do alot more work lmao.

Edited by Jedi

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

Something I had alot of fun with back when I used to play with my Mom, Dad or friends with Warriors games was competing for KO Count, that was always a blast too.

Sheik was my go to in HW, she was fun to master, but her low damage meant I had to do alot more work lmao.

Ganondorf was my go-to character in HW. He generally had extremely high damage output to the point where he didn't really need combos, but his combo game was in fact rather good, if hard to execute.

36 minutes ago, Folt said:

Ganondorf was my go-to character in HW. He generally had extremely high damage output to the point where he didn't really need combos, but his combo game was in fact rather good, if hard to execute.

Ganondorf is reallllllly fun, did you prefer his Swords or his Trident?

21 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Ganondorf is reallllllly fun, did you prefer his Swords or his Trident?

His swords. I really should have specified that, since what I said about him refers to his Swords. His Trident is actually good, but his Swords is simply in another league (and I prefer Yuga or Gauntlets!Link in terms of Lightning element users).

7 minutes ago, Folt said:

His swords. I really should have specified that, since what I said about him refers to his Swords. His Trident is actually good, but his Swords is simply in another league (and I prefer Yuga or Gauntlets!Link in terms of Lightning element users).

Yeah I figured it was the Swords, I didn't acknowledge it properly haha.

I ended up using Link a lot since he got the Master Sword early which was pretty strong in early game, plus I liked using him. Honorable mentions to Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf.

Oh, and they said something about hardcore being an option.

8 hours ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I wonder if there'll be anything in Famitsu today/tomorrow. I'm surprised there wasn't at least an article on the e3 info last week, so this week there has to be sonething!

....right?

We can hope, but likely Nintendo is keeping everything very hush hush as Koei usually reveals stuff alot more often than this.

59 minutes ago, Folt said:

Some highlights include the reason for the twins and local split-screen co-op confirmed.

To be honest the addition of the co-op mode (for the first time ever in any game) has made this game a super appealing option for me.  I've been on the fence about if I want to buy this or not and have been trying to do some research into other Dynasty Warriors games/Hyrule Warriors, and the addition of the co-op now seems to have pushed it over the edge as I can play it with my boyfriend and friends now as well.  

2 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

@ co-op: Meh. A feature I'll never use. 

Thats unfortunate considering Warriors games are really fun co-op.

Hey I'm watching this GameXPlain footage and it's the first direct feed gameplay I've seen. Is it normal for characters to talk this much in Warriors? I don't know if our beloved sword lords have been in a fight before but there's usually not this much talking. I only played Hyrule Warriors and everybody was that Zelda brand of muted character.

Follow up question: Is there ever an option to turn those dialogue quips off in the sound settings? Nobody cares about how Anna loves those profit margins. She's saying that at a rate dangerously close to once per minute.