General Warriors & FE Warriors Questions Thread

Jedi

3 minutes ago, Moondrag said:

Ok, just did a look on the JP website for FE warriors, in the Product section, using a Fire Emblem character amiibo gets you a weapon (Likely unique to that amiibo.) Using any other amiibo gets you weapons, Materials, or gold. You can use them 5 times a day...so yeah, it's exactly like Hyrule Warriors.

Its cool that its tied to the amiibo HW was like entirely random besides the first time using the Link amiibo (giving you the Spinner).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Its cool that its tied to the amiibo HW was like entirely random besides the first time using the Link amiibo (giving you the Spinner).

It wasn't entirely random.  Scanning an amiibo for a character in game (such as Link or Zelda) gave you a random weapon for that character.  There were a few that never got updated (I think Toon Zelda amiibo still gives Zelda weapons).

2 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

It wasn't entirely random.  Scanning an amiibo for a character in game (such as Link or Zelda) gave you a random weapon for that character.  There were a few that never got updated (I think Toon Zelda amiibo still gives Zelda weapons).

My mistake, sorry its been awhile.

16 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

There were a few that never got updated (I think Toon Zelda amiibo still gives Zelda weapons).

The problem is what if you scan TZ and haven't bought the DLC? Tetra I guess exists though for the 3DS version.

And one question. When I pick up a Switch eventually, I might get FEW, but I'm curious about the other Musou experience that'll be on the system. How is Dragon Quest Heroes for those who have played it on other systems?

I've only beaten DQV and am at the final dungeon for DQVIII, and I really want to play DQIV some day (and maybe VI), and for whatever issues it has I'm developing a liking for the series and wouldn't mind playing it in Musou format. I heard the games are a little more RPG-ish and the first is tower defense-like, but I wanna hear from my fellow SFers.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The problem is what if you scan TZ and haven't bought the DLC? Tetra I guess exists though for the 3DS version.

And one question. When I pick up a Switch eventually, I might get FEW, but I'm curious about the other Musou experience that'll be on the system. How is Dragon Quest Heroes for those who have played it on other systems?

I've only beaten DQV and am at the final dungeon for DQVIII, and I really want to play DQIV some day (and maybe VI), and for whatever issues it has I'm developing a liking for the series and wouldn't mind playing it in Musou format. I heard the games are a little more RPG-ish and the first is tower defense-like, but I wanna hear from my fellow SFers.

I don't know what happens, though I think they have a secondary.  I don't have a Toon Link amiibo or an account without the Legends characters that I can test it though.  Admittedly, I stopped scanning amiibos a while ago, so I don't actually remember if amiibos for Legends DLC got updated with the Wii U version.

For DQH, the first one was point defense.  Almost every mission involved surviving waves of enemies, and killing enemies could drop medals that you can use to deploy your own monsters to defend or use abilities.  Combat felt a lot slower than HW for most characters (I think Terry felt the most natural to me, going in from HW, since he was the fastest and could speed himself up).  Can't really answer on DQH2, since I never played it.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

DQH1 is like a mixture of Musou and a Tower Defense, which makes it stand out among other Musou, you also gain exp and learn skills ala certain Dragon Quest games, it's a fun experience.

2 I haven't played yet, but I've heard it focuses more on an open world approach.

@Interdimensional Observer To add onto the replies above, DQH2 plays more like an action RPG. The story plays out on a single continent wide map, it has a central hub town, at the ends of the map are 'gates' that lead to battle instances that are either like dungeons or clashes with a large monster army. The player actually traverses around the land on foot in this one unlike DQH1's style of pointing an arrow at the map and selecting which battle to commence.

Characters in DQH2 learn a decent number of skills/spells as they level up, this is more expansive than the first game where characters only learn roughly enough skills to map to 4 buttons.

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Question: Do you think Fire Emblem Heroes messed with our expectations for Fire Emblem Warriors' character roster? Would Warriors as is look more appealing if Heroes didn't exist?

Yes and no,  I thought that SD would get a few more reps then it has. and roster hopes were very high until the whole 3 focus games bit, which is now out the window with Lyn and Celica being in the base game now.  I think the biggest problem is the PR has been so bad that we really have no idea how big the roster is an won't until Japanese release and players put the whole roster online.  

35 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Question: Do you think Fire Emblem Heroes messed with our expectations for Fire Emblem Warriors' character roster? Would Warriors as is look more appealing if Heroes didn't exist?

Not really, in my opinion, but YMMV though. Even without Heroes, I would predict that people would still be up in arms over Warriors' primary focus on the three games. But to say the least, it definitely hasn't helped because Heroes already has tons of characters covered on just about every game (except Radiant Dawn, Thracia 776, and Genealogy of the Holy War).

It is gotten to the point where some are calling Heroes a better love letter to the whole franchise than Warriors. I personally feel that time and resources are at Warriors' disadvantage though.

Edited by BZL8

40 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Potentially, but not overly so to your first question: The more... hopeful/deluded/wilfully deluded.... fans, might have had higher expectations to how unrestricted the roster would be, but I think most people held their cool about it.

As for your other question... I honestly don't know. It could be, but I think people would be crying foul anyways. It's not helping of course, but Heroes has always been a different beast than Warriors, and I think it's unfair to compare the two due to their differences.

1 hour ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

So I have a question for you @Jedi, what is your expectations of this game shortly before it's release and do you think it may live up to the standards of a warriors crossover game?

My expectations have been quite met (besides the roster but thats an issue for everyone), it looks like it really tries to incorporate fire emblem elements well. Instead of just being a Warriors game with a Fire Emblem Skin (which is actually what people feared Hyrule Warriors would be, a Warriors game with just a Zelda skin). 

In terms of its mechanics & gameplay it might possibly be the best Warriors crossover game, however with the bad PR and how salty a number of people have gotten I only see the game being a moderate success at best.

54 minutes ago, Jedi said:

In terms of its mechanics & gameplay it might possibly be the best Warriors crossover game, however with the bad PR and how salty a number of people have gotten I only see the game being a moderate success at best.

I don't know about that...

I mean, yeah people have been complaining here and in some other places on the net, but can you really take that as a proper representation of what most people think about it?

It's just hard sometimes to break out of these echo chambers, and I'm unsure if these fiascoes are really so huge or if it's just the nature of these places or the internet in general to argue and complain about things.  I mean, people complained about Fates and Awakening on this site and other FE dedicated places, but they were still widely successful.

I do think it'll have a tough time selling in the west though simply because of Mario, and probably due to some FE fans being turned off simply by the action-oriented gameplay of Musou games (which I find to be rather close-minded, but it's their prerogative).  But I also have faith that KT knows what's going on and have adjusted their expectations accordingly, bad PR be damned.

Or maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic for the sake of contradicting all the negativity I've seen.  I dunno.  For what it's worth as a FE fan who hardly plays Musou games, I'm inclined to give this game a shot.

Edited by Ertrick36

7 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean, yeah people have been complaining here and in some other places on the net, but can you really take that as a proper representation of what most people think about it?

It's just hard sometimes to break out of these echo chambers, and I'm unsure if these fiascoes are really so huge or if it's just the nature of these places or the internet in general to argue and complain about things.  I mean, people complained about Fates and Awakening on this site and other FE dedicated places, but they were still widely successful.

I do think it'll have a tough time selling in the west though simply because of Mario, and probably due to some FE fans being turned off simply by the action-oriented gameplay of Musou games (which I find to be rather close-minded, but it's their prerogative).  But I also have faith that KT knows what's going on and have adjusted their expectations accordingly, bad PR be damned.

Or maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic for the sake of contradicting all the negativity I've seen.  I dunno.  For what it's worth as a FE fan who hardly plays Musou games, I'm inclined to give this game a shot.

This is good to hear after I made the mistake of looking at a Youtube comment section. I really need to stop doing that.

@Jedi: Dynasty Warriors 9 is a dramatic overhaul for the Warriors franchise, especially how it overhauls the combo system. Do you anticipate such changes to potentially affect future spin-offs, or do the Warriors spin-offs usually diverge from the original games to the point it doesn't matter?  

I've got some problems with regard to incorporating Fire Emblem elements. I feel like they phased out the weapon triangle. The most immediate evidence is the weapon diversity in the roster. But looking past that, when you fight a generic captain or enemy character, there is no icon next to their name indicating their weapon type. Fire Emblem nerds like us know what a Mymidon is wielding, but that communicates to me that it doesn't matter - slash away. Furthermore, actually seeing the weapon enemies are holding is not a simple task as you hit them and they flail around. There is a simple color code that they implemented in Fates and became gospel in Heroes. Axes are green, Lances are blue, swords are red. That visual shorthand would have been perfect for the common enemies. Also, I don't recall seeing any gameplay of enemy archers, did they give them an indicator at all? That is something vital they must convey to the player.

I do appreciate giving commands to your other playable characters. I'm hoping the game will give me enough reason to spend at least 5-10% of a match looking at the map screen as I micro manage them. Kill these enemies for xp, take that fort, head back to base so I can switch to you and defend it, meet me at this point before the boss so we can pair up. I'm also holding out hope for a good character progression system. Please please don't give every character a uniform skill tree where everybody just needs different materials for the same skills. Make the skills relevant to their class with appropriate callbacks. Frederick's class had Luna and Dual Guard+, Lissa's had Renewal and miracle. You don't have to make all or really any of the skills class restricted, but maybe make them easier to earn or stronger on their canonical wielders.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I've got some problems with regard to incorporating Fire Emblem elements. I feel like they phased out the weapon triangle. The most immediate evidence is the weapon diversity in the roster. But looking past that, when you fight a generic captain or enemy character, there is no icon next to their name indicating their weapon type. Fire Emblem nerds like us know what a Mymidon is wielding, but that communicates to me that it doesn't matter - slash away. Furthermore, actually seeing the weapon enemies are holding is not a simple task as you hit them and they flail around. There is a simple color code that they implemented in Fates and became gospel in Heroes. Axes are green, Lances are blue, swords are red. That visual shorthand would have been perfect for the common enemies. Also, I don't recall seeing any gameplay of enemy archers, did they give them an indicator at all? That is something vital they must convey to the player.

I do appreciate giving commands to your other playable characters. I'm hoping the game will give me enough reason to spend at least 5-10% of a match looking at the map screen as I micro manage them. Kill these enemies for xp, take that fort, head back to base so I can switch to you and defend it, meet me at this point before the boss so we can pair up. I'm also holding out hope for a good character progression system. Please please don't give every character a uniform skill tree where everybody just needs different materials for the same skills. Make the skills relevant to their class with appropriate callbacks. Frederick's class had Luna and Dual Guard+, Lissa's had Renewal and miracle. You don't have to make all or really any of the skills class restricted, but maybe make them easier to earn or stronger on their canonical wielders.

By the color coordination thing do you mean the enemy's clothes or something similar to that. But I don't think it will be much of an issue since the fort tells you which weapon type the enemies inside have and you do get an Arrow telling you if the enemy is weak to you or not when you lock on. 

19 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Theres things people can use called their eyes to see what weapon types being used, plus the menu also shows you what all enemy captains are wielding.

Theres also been gameplay of enemy archers shown. People just have to be aware of their surroundings, literally like every other warriors game, I don't know why you want to make things super hand holdy.

19 hours ago, BZL8 said:

@Jedi: Dynasty Warriors 9 is a dramatic overhaul for the Warriors franchise, especially how it overhauls the combo system. Do you anticipate such changes to potentially affect future spin-offs, or do the Warriors spin-offs usually diverge from the original games to the point it doesn't matter?  

I'm not sure! They'll have to actually finish 9 and see how it does. Because like DW6 overhauled the entire system and wasn't popular at all so they eventually kinda went back and forward at the same time with 7 and 8. 

20 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean, people were upset enough with the direction of TMS that it absolutely tanked hard. 

The internet is wide reaching and those speaking loudly enough might be enough to scare away more casual fans. 

The main thing the game has going for it is that the Switch is very low on Hack N Slash games right now, and the Warriors brand. 

I mean its good to see more people being optimistic, but we have people outright telling us not to say anything good about it because the devs haven't done a good job of conveying stuff, refusing to debate with people despite being properly challenged etc.

MODEDIT: yo don't doublepost

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Theres things people can use called their eyes to see what weapon types being used, plus the menu also shows you what all enemy captains are wielding.

Theres also been gameplay of enemy archers shown. People just have to be aware of their surroundings, literally like every other warriors game, I don't know why you want to make things super hand holdy.

IIRC, if you have weapon advantage over a captain, the stun meter (I think that's what they're calling the equivalent of the WPG here) is yellow instead of white, as weapon advantage lets you reduce it faster.  That's the only other visual indicator I can think of that we've seen.

Just now, YotsuMaboroshi said:

IIRC, if you have weapon advantage over a captain, the stun meter (I think that's what they're calling the equivalent of the WPG here) is yellow instead of white, as weapon advantage lets you reduce it faster.  That's the only other visual indicator I can think of that we've seen.

Lock On has and arrow next to the enemies name. If it is pointing up with a red background you are weak to them, if it is pointing down with a white background you are strong against them. Other than that if you are in a fort the game tells you which weapon is being used in that fort. 

1 hour ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Yeah, it exists, I just get a little annoyed when people seem to need an indicator for everything including tying their characters shoes is all.

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

I don't think Glennstavos is being totally unreasonable. If archers really are capable of knocking a flier from full to red real quick, it'd be nice to be able to identify amid the hoards of all blue, red, grey/whatever color samey looking peons which are the archers before I get to pounding away at them. Also, if I'm using the map and trying to plan out where to send Caeda during a battle, I'd want to avoid putting her on a course through archer-infested territory. How could I know this if everyone is an identical red dot? I do acknowledge that archers in their more threatening DW incarnations are manageable if you just keep moving around so you're not stationary pincushion, and that they might be the same way here. But if they are THAT dangerous in FEW for fliers, a little more heads up would be appreciable.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think Glennstavos is being totally unreasonable. If archers really are capable of knocking a flier from full to red real quick, it'd be nice to be able to identify amid the hoards of all blue, red, grey/whatever color samey looking peons which are the archers before I get to pounding away at them. Also, if I'm using the map and trying to plan out where to send Caeda during a battle, I'd want to avoid putting her on a course through archer-infested territory. How could I know this if everyone is an identical red dot? I do acknowledge that archers in their more threatening DW incarnations are manageable if you just keep moving around so you're not stationary pincushion, and that they might be the same way here. But if they are THAT dangerous in FEW for fliers, a little more heads up would be appreciable.

I guess you're right, but at the same time we didn't have warnings like that in the older Dynasty Warriors games where archers could light you up in a matter of seconds.

i guess I'm just being old school, my apologies.