New Mechanic Ideas Thread

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Growth rates are far from the only factor that determines a good unit. If anything they're one of the least important factors (well depending on the game). Bases are far more important as are things like skills, prf weapons, promotion bonuses, class utility and availability. I don't think having displayed growth rates would at all change the balance of the game. Since the majority of serious players know character's growth rates anyway since we look them up. The only difference is that it would put more casual players on even footing.

I was not being serious... if that wasn't (bad) sarcasm then I forgot to include a "far from" in there. My bad. I know full well how valuable non-growth factors are, and while I wouldn't mind personal growth strengths being indicated I don't think the growths have to be spelled out in game.

2 hours ago, X-Naut said:

I was not being serious... if that wasn't (bad) sarcasm then I forgot to include a "far from" in there. My bad. I know full well how valuable non-growth factors are, and while I wouldn't mind personal growth strengths being indicated I don't think the growths have to be spelled out in game.

Yeah, having some sort of growth indicator- letter ranks, colors, some set of symbols, something that could let one get an idea of growth rates. Like a "D" in Magic indicates a growth within 15-25%, whereas a "C" would be between 30-40%. Though I'd rather leave things more ambiguous than a 5-6 letter system, given growths and stats don't go that incredibly high to warrant so many distinctions.

Do it like the GBA hacks and give the stat names a colored glow :o

Just do it for the characters' personal growths and not the sum of personal+class growths

2 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Do it like the GBA hacks and give the stat names a colored glow :o

Just do it for the characters' personal growths and not the sum of personal+class growths

Speaking of, class growths are something I want to be done away with.

Edited by Slumber

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 4:27 AM, Great Dane said:

There's one idea that I've had in the back of my head for a while, and that's having a "horse" mechanic. The idea I had is akin to dismounting in FE3/FE5, only it allows everyone to ride them and add another layer of strategy. I think it would also do wonders for the whole "Paladins being superior to all other classes" thing that has been plaguing the series since it's inception.

I'd definitely enjoy the horse mechanic, but I'd also enjoy it if the horses were able to attack as well. You can train horses for battle, and it could also affect wyverns and griffons as well! Maybe a chance of whether or not your mount will attack alongside you grows as you level?

On 7/26/2017 at 10:18 PM, CriticalMiss said:

I'd like to see branching paths where which battles you choose to complete impacts the story and which battles come next. Also, if there's a world map, I'd like more optional routes. SoV had this a little bit with Nuibaba, but I would like it to be greatly expanded upon.

Optional routes might be a bit tricky, but I think we could have optional maps instead. Like for certain maps, you get to choose how you want to handle it. You could choose whether you want to play defensively by simply protecting some villages, or aggressively by riding out to destroy bandit camps for example. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have a 5 item limit but keep the weapon weight system from Echoes, but the weight is always there even if it is not equipped. Doubling should take 3 more speed. Mages have a spell list and cast from higher amounts of hp but with no WT. Tomes would have high wt but no hp would be cast. They would also allow mages to use other spells.

Keep archers the same from Echoes. Keep cantors but make them have low hp and cast from a lot higher amount of hp for spells.

Keep Awakening's promotion system.

Have arts replace skills learned with your class rather than weapon. For example, Lethality would cost 10 hp, be tied to assassins, has a horrid hit rate (20%) but will OHKO.