New Mechanic Ideas Thread

What new mechanics would you like to see introduced or return to fe switch.

I would personally like it if a unit could trade / interact with other units adjacent to them without affecting movement. For example, say I have a unit move 5 squares down. 3 squares down, I can swap items with a person adjacent to my current tile, and still continue to go the rest of the squares and perform an action. This could lead to some insane trade/shove/swap strategies.

What new mechanics would you like to see introduced or return to fe switch.

I would personally like it if a unit could trade / interact with other units adjacent to them without affecting movement. For example, say I have a unit move 5 squares down. 3 squares down, I can swap items with a person adjacent to my current tile, and still continue to go the rest of the squares and perform an action. This could lead to some insane trade/shove/swap strategies.

A magic system that does not have a fixed attacking stat: there is no Magic stat, nor does any other stat handle all spellcasting. Instead, different types of magic run off of different stats. Skill would likely be the primary one (for generic Fire/Thunder), but other tomes might use Speed, Resistance, Strength, Defense, or even a combination of the two. Luck may even see use for a joke spell!

I dug up a previous post of mine in a previous thread about new directions the series could take in a new game. 

But a less involved idea I want to see is characters getting more out of support conversations than standard support boosts. Like if reaching the B conversation unlocked a paralogue chapter where they need to tie up a loose end with their past. And it's a small map, you only field a handful of units to fight a slightly larger handful of units. No need to turn a small bandit skirmish into an hour long 15 vs 50 battle like in Awakening/Fates paralogues. And completion of the paralogue itself awards the "A conversation". Maybe give that character a new reclass option if reclassing is in the game. Or a new weapon type or skill if reclassing is not in the game. I want side characters to have more characterization, but deliver it in a way that's totally optional and doesn't bog down the player's experience if they don't care about that character.

Edited by Gustavos

One thing that has irked me in past Fire Emblem games is movement-inhibiting mechanics, like Deserts and FE7's rain. It has lots of issues, but my biggest issue is that it slows down both the player AND the enemy. If there was some way to slow down the player but not the enemy, it could actually be a challenging gimmick, as you would be swarmed very quickly and have limited options. And yes, there are ways to do this artificially, like by filling a desert map with Fliers and Mages, it is still janky. The best way I can see at the moment is perhaps a literal uphill battle, where your units are scaling a hill or a staircase and fighting gravity while the enemy is descending to meet you at a much quicker pace.