What other modes should we expect?

So we know there will be a story mode (obviously), and presumably a "free play" mode to go with it that lets us play the story levels with any character.

E3 also showed off Coliseum Mode, which focuses more on 1v1 battles than taking on massive hordes. Coliseum Mode probably won't be too big, since there's only so much variety you can do with that, but Warriors games tend to have a pretty big amount of content, so there's probably modes we don't know about.

With Hyrule Warriors, Story Mode was pretty short, serving almost as a tutorial for the game's main bulk of content, Adventure Mode. I assume we'll get some kind of similar analogue here; a massive collection of various missions, with some kind of gimmick to progression. Hyrule Warriors used an 8-bit map based on the first Zelda game, so what kind of gimmick could FE Warriors use that gives it a distinctly-FE flavor?

Perhaps we might also get some additional modes on top of that? I haven't played previous Warriors games, are there any gameplay modes from them that would be a perfect fit for Fire Emblem?

Jedi did a whole video on that, and I suspect we'll get a mode kind of like what was shown in that.

Short answer, there are modes in the Warriors franchise that incorporate strategy-based gameplay.  I suspect the FE flavored mode we'll get will have us moving units around a broad map like traditional FE, but when you engage in a fight, you'll be brought to a narrower field for Warriors-style combat.  The specific details beyond that are anyone's game, but it'd be cool if we got varied objectives for this mode.

There might also be a challenge mode.  Not necessarily specific to FE, but just generally a mode where you're given specific tasks to complete within tight time frames or conditions.  Stuff like "defeat 700 enemies within 10 minutes" or "capture this keep before this happens".  Though I suspect the bulk of the focus would be in the more unique modes.

Beyond that all, I'm not sure.  Maybe we could expect a "Creature Campaign" DLC if we get some Sacred Stones representation, or something of an Adventure mode if we get Echoes stuff.  And on a smaller scope, maybe we'd get little themed challenges that force us to use different characters or fight at a disadvantage.

2 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Maybe we'll get a mode like Ganon's Fury where we can play as Madeus.

As long as it's not as badly-designed as Ganon's Fury (and Cucco's Fury). They really managed to ruin an amazing concept.

1 minute ago, Anomalocaris said:

As long as it's not as badly-designed as Ganon's Fury (and Cucco's Fury). They really managed to ruin an amazing concept.

I think one of the main problems with the mode was level grinding on such limited missions. That and getting good ranks on survival missions apparently takes a long time.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

I think one of the main problems with the mode was level grinding on such limited missions. That and getting good ranks on survival missions apparently takes a long time.

The level grinding is the biggest problem, yeah; with such a limited selection of missions it means you're just playing the same missions over and over again even though you already A-ranked them, just to get level-ups. The mode(s) would have been a lot better if they didn't use level-ups, and just had Ganon (and Cucco) at a fixed level of power, testing your skill rather than your patience.

There's other issues like the camera and hitboxes, too, and just how repetitive and badly thought-out Cucco's Fury is with only two attacks, but levelling up is the biggest one. Hopefully if we get a similar mode they mitigate that issue. Heck, hopefully they mitigate level-ups in general. Keep the level cap low.

1 minute ago, Anomalocaris said:

The level grinding is the biggest problem, yeah; with such a limited selection of missions it means you're just playing the same missions over and over again even though you already A-ranked them, just to get level-ups. The mode(s) would have been a lot better if they didn't use level-ups, and just had Ganon (and Cucco) at a fixed level of power, testing your skill rather than your patience.

There's other issues like the camera and hitboxes, too, and just how repetitive and badly thought-out Cucco's Fury is with only two attacks, but levelling up is the biggest one. Hopefully if we get a similar mode they mitigate that issue. Heck, hopefully they mitigate level-ups in general. Keep the level cap low.

I never even unlocked the Cucco. Yeah, hitboxes were a problem too, but if they do go with Madeus as opposed to the new dragon, then the hitbox may be smaller.

Given that they at one point talked about permadeath, I'm inclined to believe that we might get a mode where you must clear a series of missions in order before fighting the final boss. (With the ability to save your progress in-between missions.) If a character dies, they're unusable until you start it anew or get every character killed off (initiating a Game Over).

2 hours ago, Folt said:

Given that they at one point talked about permadeath, I'm inclined to believe that we might get a mode where you must clear a series of missions in order before fighting the final boss. (With the ability to save your progress in-between missions.) If a character dies, they're unusable until you start it anew or get every character killed off (initiating a Game Over).

Reminds me of Tempest Trials in Heroes. Though it should be much less miserable in Warriors. Perhaps they should limit it to just a few characters for each run though. 25 to 30 characters would make losing nigh impossible

24 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Reminds me of Tempest Trials in Heroes. Though it should be much less miserable in Warriors. Perhaps they should limit it to just a few characters for each run though. 25 to 30 characters would make losing nigh impossible

I'd say about 5 characters would be a decent number for a mode like that.

Unless they implemented an enormous gauntlet of levels and didn't allow your characters to heal between, in which case a full cast of 25-30 doesn't sound too bad. It'd need to be absurdly difficult to force you to use all of them though.

there is always the possibility that they'd make it so that the characters start off at level 1 for this mode, making managing EXP among your group important, but that might be going a bit too deep into the speculation.

if permadeath is a thing, I think i know how they may do it. or at least a way that it worked in dynasty warriors. there were parts of a game where one of your playable characters died at the end of the mission if the current battle/ previous battles objectives wernt fufilled (then again they actually died in history so they were just going with how the story placed out.) So i imagine any of the characters that can die would be people that arnt the main lords getting a cutscene of their death unless you actually follow the mission objective. which leads to a slightly different path.

While im unsure if they will have that be part of story mode or a side mode we will have to see.

Edited by Thany

On 6/18/2017 at 5:01 PM, Ertrick36 said:

Jedi did a whole video on that, and I suspect we'll get a mode kind of like what was shown in that.

Oh I just noticed this, gonna post it now haha. 

Just note this is 100% speculation I have no insider info.

Edited by Jedi

Here's hoping there's an Ambition/Empires mode. A kingdom unification simulation would feel perfectly for FEW. And hey, they could sell continents/kingdoms as DLC that way :p

Edited by Escalario