Why did the Legendary Lances get nerfed?

Whats the deal with the nerf to the Sol Lance and Gradivus? In Fire Emblem Gaiden, Sol had 20 might and 2 weight, while Gradivus had 15 might and 0 weight. In Echoes, Sol has 15 might, the same as the thunder sword, and 4 weight. While Gradivus has 12 might and 5 weight.

So Sol lost 5 might and was given 2 extra points in speed reduction. While Gradivus lost 3 might and gained 5 points in speed reduction.

This change can’t for balance because Astra still gives 50% critical along with 100% accuracy and giving Astra as a skill, thus allowing you to do 5 hits with a 50% critical increase which is basically instadeath to almost anything.

By contrast, Solar Thrust can’t even double attack or counter.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

22 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Whats the deal with the nerf to the Sol Lance and Gradivus? In Fire Emblem Gaiden, Sol had 20 might and 2 weight, while Gradivus had 15 might and 0 weight. In Echoes, Sol has 15 might, the same as the thunder sword, and 4 weight. While Gradivus has 12 might and 5 weight.

So Sol lost 5 might and was given 2 extra points in speed reduction. While Gradivus lost 3 might and gained 5 points in speed reduction.

This change can’t for balance because Astra still gives 50% critical along with 100% accuracy and giving Astra as a skill, thus allowing you to do 5 hits with a 50% critical increase which is basically instadeath to almost anything.

By contrast, Solar Thrust can’t even double attack or counter.

That's kind of irrelevant since the Thunder Sword overrides your Strength stat instead of being additive like every other weapon.

Astra is far from instant death in Thabes Labyrinth, the only time you'll realistically be using these weapons. It's good against low defense enemies, but a Killer Bow will generally do the job and is a lot more practical. Against high defense enemies, like dragons which are the most dangerous by far, Sol's +20 damage is a lot better.

56 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

That's kind of irrelevant since the Thunder Sword overrides your Strength stat instead of being additive like every other weapon.

I'm aware, but its still one of the best weapons in the game.

The Shadow Sword itself has 16 might when fully upgraded, which is 1 might more then the Sol Lance.

21 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I'm aware, but its still one of the best weapons in the game.

The Shadow Sword itself has 16 might when fully upgraded, which is 1 might more then the Sol Lance.

Ehh, the Lightning Sword becomes kinda irrelevant after chapter 1 since enemies now have an actual resistance stat and the fact that it overrides your strength (dealing 15 damage at max).

While the Shadow Sword is strong, I don't really want to use it due to the chance of backfiring, instead turning it into a Brave Sword.

If anything got the nerf bat it was the rings, specifically speed and Angel.

The sol/luna/astra trio probably got nerfed just to make it so they aren't completely insane compared to other weapons. Not that Echoes doesn't have its fair share of imbalances anyway. 

12 minutes ago, MythrilZenith said:

If anything got the nerf bat it was the rings, specifically speed and Angel.

The sol/luna/astra trio probably got nerfed just to make it so they aren't completely insane compared to other weapons. Not that Echoes doesn't have its fair share of imbalances anyway. 

Angel I'm well aware of. I lucked out and got two in my Gaiden run, resulting in extremely OP units like a max strength Forsyth and an incredibly fast Valbar.

Astra is even better considering the only change it got was the absurd Astral blow skill.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Well, the reason is obviously gameplay but I'm more surprised that they didn't really work in the Astra, Sol and Luna skills into the weapons. Astra gets the Astra skill that we most well know it as but Sol and Luna don't get the skills, even though Sol and Luna type skills were added into the remake and given to the Golden Dagger and Silver Sword.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:09 AM, RJWalker said:

Well, the reason is obviously gameplay but I'm more surprised that they didn't really work in the Astra, Sol and Luna skills into the weapons. Astra gets the Astra skill that we most well know it as but Sol and Luna don't get the skills, even though Sol and Luna type skills were added into the remake and given to the Golden Dagger and Silver Sword.

They probably wanted to work off of what was special about the lances originally. Luna always hit, Sol was super strong, and Astra had insane crit. If anything, I think that Astra should have gotten a skill that guarantees a critical, rather than the astra skill to fit in with the other skills in the trio.

Can't say for Sol because the concept of actually getting a Sol in Gaiden is hilarious. The Gradivus in FE2 was fucking great but it was also ridiculously OP. Even though I think they shouldn't have nerfed it, it makes sense that they did.