Lost all but three before even reaching the Southern outpost

All I have left is Faye, Alm, and Tobin.

I was going to play "dead stays dead" for the first time, but in the face of losing over half my units in the first major battle, I wonder if I'm even cut out for an ironman run like that.  And if it's even possible to win from this point, with my army depleted as it is.

Oh, and the one responsible for all of them?  One lone unit with a leather shield.  Over half my army was killed by one unit.

3-13 Archer has nothing on the Leather Shield Merc. He might well be the hardest boss going in blind, just for the difficulty spike.

You're certainly not completely screwed, but unless Faye's a cleric you'll have a rough time later on.

If you're determined to do an ironman run on your first time, retry the chapter and see if you can beat him without losing a unit.

You're getting 4 more units in chapter 1 so it is probably still possible.

Though of course it depends about what are Faye and Tobin's classes. You are not getting an another mage until the middle of chapter 3 for Alm's route and the second (and last healer) in Alm's route is in chapter 4 which is pretty much near the end of the game.  
There is also no recruitable mercenary in his route so you might want to restart if it's too hard for you right now.

If Silque's dead, Faye isn't a cleric and Tobin isn't a mage, the major problem you'll be facing is that Alm's group won't have any healers for most of the game.
You could probably get by using provisions to heal instead, but that'd mean everyone who might need healing will have to stay close to Alm, severely limiting your flexibility when it comes to taking on some of the tougher battles.

So I'll second the notion that while it's definitely still possible to beat the game, you might be better off restarting if you find yourself having trouble.

If you're on Hard, you may be screwed if Faye isn't a cleric and Tobin isn't a mage. You won't get another cleric until Act 4 or another mage until Act 3. Come the siege on Zofia Castle, you're going to get rushed. Since you lost Lukas, your main tank option to hold a chokepoint is gone, and you won't have a healer to keep anyone else alive. Out of the four new units you will get before the end of Act 1, two of them will be super weak until you can get them caught up while one of them will be decent but will fall behind very quickly. 

I'd probably restart, lol. But if you decide to give it a shot, good luck!

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 0:54 AM, jdb1984 said:

All I have left is Faye, Alm, and Tobin.

I was going to play "dead stays dead" for the first time, but in the face of losing over half my units in the first major battle, I wonder if I'm even cut out for an ironman run like that.  And if it's even possible to win from this point, with my army depleted as it is.

Oh, and the one responsible for all of them?  One lone unit with a leather shield.  Over half my army was killed by one unit.

Faye's alive you'll be fine.

No Silque is gonna hurt till Tat's hits ?/8 though.

Well, I mean... you can solo the entire game with Alm if you really wanted.  He's pretty OP, even on Hard.

After that canyon area, you start gaining more troops.  Though none of them are healers until way later in the game, so I pray to Mila that you made Faye a healer or have yet to promote her... or you otherwise are well stocked on provisions.  Otherwise you'll get everything but possibly a merc if you didn't make Tobin one; you'll even get two mages.  Though not all of the units you get will be ideal...

And there are some important takeaways from that battle with the leather shield dude.  If you used a mage to fight him (or possibly even a durable cleric), and fought on the mountainside, you could've had a much easier time.  The important things to keep in mind are that terrain bonuses grant ridiculous avoid, and that magic essentially ignores those bonuses, thus offering your mage on the mountain an outrageous advantage.  This goes for both your units and the enemies, which will be invaluable knowledge later on when you have to fight archanists and cantors in forests and forts.

I'm not sure what your history is with the series, but I doubt it's that you aren't cut out for an ironman run.  It's just that Echoes operates so differently from other entries that you likely just got caught horribly off-guard by its bizarre rules.  I'm sure a lot of people going from traditional or even newer FE games to Echoes got thrown off by it.