Is my copy of LeafGreen glitched now?

Anacybele

Because I've never had anywhere near as shitty luck as this trying to catch a legendary. I want to use Articuno on my team (it's my favorite of the three Kanto birds, and it's probably a great idea against Lance and his stinking dragons). But no matter how many times the ball gets three shakes, it doesn't get caught. This has happened like half a dozen times already.

I'm only completing the story, not doing any Pokedex stuff except to transfer to Diamond later, but yeah. I thought I'd already completed the story in LeafGreen, but I guess not, since when I booted up the file, I only had four badges. The Sevii Islands are awesome too. Really the only real reason other than DS Pal Park stuff that I'd ever return to a Kanto game.

I think it's just bad luck.  The Legendary Birds have some of the lowest catch rates, if I remember correctly.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I think it's just bad luck.  The Legendary Birds have some of the lowest catch rates, if I remember correctly.

Never took me this long to get them or any legendary though. Not even close. Not even in Yellow or HG/SS.

There's no question about it.  Your game is definitely, 100% sure as hell glitched.  Have you tried returning it?

17 minutes ago, Refa said:

There's no question about it.  Your game is definitely, 100% sure as hell glitched.  Have you tried returning it?

I thought this was really funny

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Never took me this long to get them or any legendary though. Not even close. Not even in Yellow or HG/SS.

Just luck! It happens sometimes! I've never played Leaf Green myself, but I've been people go through 80 pokeballs just trying catch a Cobalion lol

Nothing is wrong with your game :)

24 minutes ago, Refa said:

I don't think I can return it anywhere now. xP It's a GBA game for crying out loud. lol Besides, I want to keep it.

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Just luck! It happens sometimes! I've never played Leaf Green myself, but I've been people go through 80 pokeballs just trying catch a Cobalion lol

Nothing is wrong with your game :)

Hopefully. We'll see.

34 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Because I've never had anywhere near as shitty luck as this trying to catch a legendary. I want to use Articuno on my team (it's my favorite of the three Kanto birds, and it's probably a great idea against Lance and his stinking dragons). But no matter how many times the ball gets three shakes, it doesn't get caught. This has happened like half a dozen times already.

I'm only completing the story, not doing any Pokedex stuff except to transfer to Diamond later, but yeah. I thought I'd already completed the story in LeafGreen, but I guess not, since when I booted up the file, I only had four badges. The Sevii Islands are awesome too. Really the only real reason other than DS Pal Park stuff that I'd ever return to a Kanto game.

You're just experiencing bad luck. IIRC, the catch rates for the legendary birds are in the single digit percentages

Also if your game's glitchy I think the last thing that'll be affected are the catch rates of Pokemon :/

If it means anything, Articuno has a catch rate of 3, the absolute lowest of any Pokémon (although it's shared with a good deal of other mons).

This sort of terrible luck happens, don't worry about it. I've had times where Pokémon with catch rates of 45 take dozens of tries, as opposed to things with catch rates of 3 take very few attempts.

Pfft, half a dozen? I've wasted around 40 Ultra Balls on a single legendary, even with the energy in the red and paralyzed.

It's all luck.

13 minutes ago, Jave said:

It's all luck.

Actually, it's all in the wrist.  Hone your technique and you'll never fail another catch again...unless your game is glitched like Ana's, of course.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Was your LeafGreen copy used when you bought it or did you get the game since 2004? And also, what Pokeball are you using to catch Articuno and did you tried using any effect that can be weaken Articuno to get the catch rate accurate such as Static, Sleep, etc that can help catch that Legendary Bird in any PokeBalls?

Edited by King Marth 64

40 minutes ago, Refa said:

Actually, it's all in the wrist. 

Don't be silly, how would your wrist action affect the RNG? No, the real secret is to tap the down button while the ball is shaking. To make sure it stays down, you see.

Save before fight, get it to red, paralyze or sleep, and pray to the PokéGods. Reload and repeat if you run out of Ultra Balls.

No Dusk Balls in LeafGreen either, so it's all about the drama.

People are spoiled nowadays. :D In RBY it doesn't even get in the ball unless you sleep it. Compare that to Reshiram, Xerneas or Solgaleo which will happily comply when you throw something as measly as a $200 Poké Ball at them (yet another reason why competitive Pokémon is slowly ruining the game itself).

Edited by Cerberus87

3 hours ago, David Boey said:

Don't be silly, how would your wrist action affect the RNG? No, the real secret is to tap the down button while the ball is shaking. To make sure it stays down, you see.

It's Dwn+B pls

A little research says that at low HP and with the sleep status the probability of catching Articuno in an Ultra Ball is 4%. Using the geometric distribution the expected number of balls you should have to throw to catch it (the average/mean) is 25, with a standard deviation of 24.5. So half a dozen balls is really not a lot to throw at an Articuno and expect it to catch.

Source for catch rates.

Edited by Darros
Added a source for the catch rates.

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I was just having some really bad luck, I finally caught it. :P All is good now!

Next time you'll know not to get worried about it being glitched lol

7 hours ago, Refa said:

Actually, it's all in the wrist.  Hone your technique and you'll never fail another catch again...unless your game is glitched like Ana's, of course.

I've found that using another pokemon to throw your pokeballs is most effective!

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Next time you'll know not to get worried about it being glitched lol

Well, I didn't say it was DEFINITELY glitched, only that it could be. But yeah.