What's Atlas' Canon Class?

Atlas' Canon Class  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider to be Atlas' Canon Class?

So since certain classes for Villagers are considered to be canon or heavily implied (like with Kliff's scorch marks from magic practice in Ram), I'm very curious as to what people consider Atlas' canon class to be.

And before people say "Atlas' canon class is Villager", we've already got 3 villagers who are heavily implied to be certain classes, so I'm quite sure Faye and Atlas have some class that IS is pushing more than the others.

As for what I think it is, I don't really have a solid guess. Well, mage definitely doesn't fit Atlas' character since as a woodcutter he's shown to rely on physical strength and mages don't exactly crush skulls (Atlas did mention crushing skulls for Celica after rescuing his brothers). Archer isn't as out of character as Mage, but I still don't think an Archer would rely mainly on brute strength like Atlas does. And while Soldier does fit the brute strength bill quite well, his default outfit really doesn't look like something an armored Soldier would be wearing, due to it being too exposed.

So I've narrowed down my guesses to Mercenary or Cavalier. Mercenary fits well due to his default outfit looking quite like certain FE mercenaries like Dieck from FE6. That, and if Gray can be canonically considered a mercenary without a strong speed growth/base, I think Atlas can as well. As for Cavalier, supposedly FE Echoes promotion videos showed Cavalier Atlas quite a bit. That, and Atlas being a country guy and him riding a horse in battle fits well with his character.

Edited by Randoman

I haven't played Echoes yet but a woodcutter from the country excluding the options you gave would make sense to be a fighter or barbarian personally BUT of the options you gave and how you made Atlas sound it sounds like of the options Mercenary to personally make the most sense. Cavalier doesn't make  as much sense most cavaliers in previous FE games are more like stereotypical knights and considering you mention that Atlas mentions crushing skulls that doesn't sound like something a knight would say. However mentioning the crushing of skulls does seem to fit a Mercenary class better as mercenaries generally follow a looser moral code(if one at all) and even in some cases might be more brutal encases. This is all based purely of opinion but I hope this helps you make a decision/come to a conclusion.

He doesn't have one, and villager might actually be how they portray him, if they ever try to give him something canon. I could see him also being a merc, though, since his look and attitude fit with the merc line. Plus, his stats are pretty much just a more extreme version of Gray.

I think that Atlas excels at being both a Mercenary and an Archer, but I think that some people might say that his canon class is a Merc (judging by the poll so far),  due to his stats and the other Villagers "canon" classes.

Atlas is a beast as an Archer with a Killer Bow, but he's also decent as a Mercenary with a Brave Sword too. It's hard for me to say what class he's best in.

I think it might be Mercenary, but I feel as though Cavalier is what Celica really needs. The only other Cavalier comes around Act 4, long after you really need one, so Atlas works as a Cavalier because he can use some lances better than Valbar and the Whitewings can.

Due to his demeanor, and white(ish) hair I will have to say that he is canonically a mage. In base conversations, we can learn that Atlas spends much of his time in nature, which is also very mage like. His spells also align well with his characterization. As a sage, Atlas has access to rescue, which draws reference to his desire to rescue his brothers. Atlas is also known for gathering firewood, meaning that he has experience with fire, thus learning the spell "fire" early on. He also values knowledge, as shown by his enemy killed quote, "You learn something today?"

Edited by KliffIsTheOG

50 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

In base conversations, we can learn that Atlas spends much of his time in nature, which is also very mage like. His spells also align well with his characterization. As a sage, Atlas has access to rescue, which draws reference to his desire to rescue his brothers. Atlas is also known for gathering firewood, meaning that he has experience with fire, thus learning the spell "fire" early on. He also values knowledge, as shown by his enemy killed quote, "You learn something today?"

You bring up an amazing point. I can't believe that I never noticed this before! Is this a coincidence? Or is this evidence pointing towards a possible "canon" class that IS didn't want to shove in our faces?

2 hours ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

Due to his demeanor, and white(ish) hair I will have to say that he is canonically a mage. In base conversations, we can learn that Atlas spends much of his time in nature, which is also very mage like. His spells also align well with his characterization. As a sage, Atlas has access to rescue, which draws reference to his desire to rescue his brothers. Atlas is also known for gathering firewood, meaning that he has experience with fire, thus learning the spell "fire" early on. He also values knowledge, as shown by his enemy killed quote, "You learn something today?"

Fire is literally the most basic spell. Every single mage learns fire first, even the ones who can't be mage without the pitchfork.
Getting Rescue as a reference to wanting to rescue his brothers is cute, but it's almost definitely as much a reference as Deen getting Silence because he's a quiet dude.
You could use the fact he gets Sagette as a hint that he's meant to be shooting arrows, if you want to go with self-referential stuff.

Also since we're looking at

But once I started fighting and won a couple of battles, things changed. Everybody pushed me to go to war so I could get rich and famous.

He may not like it and just want to go back to chopping wood but this is kind of the definition of being a merc.

Now watch Cipher pull a Heroes and put him in an entirely unrelated class. Ah yes, Ninja Atlas, of course, how could we be so blind.

29 minutes ago, r_n said:

Now watch Cipher pull a Heroes and put him in an entirely unrelated class. Ah yes, Ninja Atlas, of course, how could we be so blind.

If Heroes does that, it would most certainly put him in an Axe class, as Gaiden and Echoes are the only games that don't have Axe wielders (except for 3 Book 2). He has the biceps for it, definitely. Also, any Axe Wielder who isn't ax crazy usually lives out on the frontier.

52 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

If Heroes does that, it would most certainly put him in an Axe class, as Gaiden and Echoes are the only games that don't have Axe wielders (except for 3 Book 2). He has the biceps for it, definitely. Also, any Axe Wielder who isn't ax crazy usually lives out on the frontier.

Atlas is also a lumberjack like several other axe fighters in the series. He even makes mention of using an axe.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I don't get why this matters.

8 hours ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

10/10 copypasta would read again.

Should be an axe-using class, but for some reason IS decided not to include a playable one. Even as Atlas talks about how as long as he has an axe, he's happy. Like come on IS, what's the deal?

So I consider him as not having a canon class, simply because the classes that would actually fit him don't exist in the game, unfortunately. 

Love this game, but Atlas actually made me angry,  since he clearly should be an axe-user, and IS just didn't include the option.

12 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

So I read the novelization made him a sword using Cavalier.

Good to know. Was this for Gaiden's novelization or for Echoes' novelization? Also, did the novelization have Mercenary Gray, Acher Tobin, and Mage Kliff?

12 hours ago, Refa said:

I don't get why this matters.

I kind of have an OCD habit/preference of sorts to stick with canon characters/choices as much as possible, so that's why I'm asking.