Valentia Out-of-Bounds | Episode 11 Up

Normally you can only navigate villages via a menu. But via a little magic (i.e. hacks), I am able to take a pleasant stroll around Ram Village.

Of course, the developers didn't bother coding in anything you can't normally see. So don't expect a lot of secret details. Still, it's fun to break free and have a better perspective.

Anyway, I'm planning to make this a small video series. Hopefully there are people interested!

Next video will probably be the Southern Outpost. I've already recorded a couple of videos, but I just need to upload them and stitch them together, etc.

Edited by VincentASM

i think part of the reason this is there is actually because of the first battle

if you fight any of the brigands near the village, you can see the inside

Oh wow, no wondered those dungeon exploring styled village explorations were actually unfinished and were unused due to the hills, houses, and some of the objects except for Barrels, Crates, Sheeps, and other breakable objects that have Alm pass through like a ghost. Also, I did see some of those sheeps were still bigger than Alm. I get why Alm did mentioned one of Mycen's sheep was being a jerk to Alm.

54 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

I wonder if they at one point planned to have the player explore non-dungeon environments this way instead of Phoenix Wright mode. I can't imagine later environments being as detailed as Ram Village.

Hard to tell. I imagine they made a decision very early on since making full 3D villages would eat up a lot of resources.

Anyway, later environments are about the same level of detail. That said, I think some villages start recycling zones. Ram Village is 3 separate zones, but Mountain Village might just be 1 or 2. Despite both having the same number of locations to visit.

50 minutes ago, Pikappa93 said:

Oh wow, I'm actually surprised this is possible through hacking.

How it works is that the game stores all 3D areas as "fields". This includes battle maps, dungeons and "adventure" areas like villages. I just tricked the game into loading a particular field as a dungeon.

This is also how the game quickly switches between the map view and in-battle view. The in-battle view is actually a dungeon based on the map view. Or the other way round.

Hope that makes sense.

(The real magic is how I managed to break out of the StreetPass zones.)

4 minutes ago, Sock said:

I AM SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW.

Thank you for going in the well. Made my day. :D

How far into the hills can you go?

You can go pretty far, but there is no "floor" after a certain distance. So you usually just sink into the hill. Then eventually there's no hill and just empty space/sky.

I haven't tested exactly how far you can go, but you can run for long enough to make you bored XD

Edited by VincentASM

Interesting. I really hope this is carried over to the Switch. Allowing exploration and movement like this would be such a huge step forward for the series. It is what I hope SoV's success will show to IS. As it is I really hope dungeons are carried over to the next Fire Emblem, it was so much fun for me even though the controls werent great.

8 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Interesting. I really hope this is carried over to the Switch. Allowing exploration and movement like this would be such a huge step forward for the series. It is what I hope SoV's success will show to IS. As it is I really hope dungeons are carried over to the next Fire Emblem, it was so much fun for me even though the controls werent great.

Honestly, controls felt as good as other RPGs where dungeon crawling is a thing, namely Persona and Shin Megami Tensei, but that's just my opinion.

Personally think this is interesting, but I'm glad villages were handled the way they were after seeing this. Being able to freely explore villages would bring a whole host of new issues like wasting time coding colliders for houses and other objects, making it harder and more time consuming to talk to villagers, limiting player control with things like invisible walls, etc. The view the game gives you in the visual novel style makes minor nuances and issues with things like textures and polycounts stand out a lot less as well.

Episode 2 is up!

Note that you can actually visit the Southern Outpost on foot via normal gameplay, by using StreetPass. But you can only explore a tiny square.

(This tiny square also happens to be inaccessible to me in the video.)

Next up is Zofia Gate. I'll probably do Novis Greatport after that.

Edited by VincentASM

So Alm can breathe underwater? Just as I thought, he's wearing Zora Armor.

It's interesting they bothered making the 3D exploration map and the 2D battle map the same one. You'd expect the two things would be totally divorced from each other (unless this is easier to code).

Is this practice work for what they're doing with FE Switch? It'd seem a waste of effort if they just abandoned all the hours spent learning to design such things after one game.

Now this is REALLY cool!

I thought they were just static 3D images, not fully modeled areas!

Would be sick if the next FE on the Switch you could actually run around towns and forts like this, it would really feel like a true RPG.

Episode 3

This is one of the places that made me REALLY want to figure out how to break the boundaries.

I'll confess, I tried a lot of methods, but what actually worked was a complete accident. Logically, it's not too hard to figure out. You just need to literally think outside the box XD

Even as they are the environments look super cool! I second everyone wanting this kind of exploration for the Switch.

I love the aesthetics of this game and the realistic forts/castles.

Ep 4:
Is it just me or do the cats look kinda creepy?
"Stop teasing, go on the ship!"
So funny that the wharf isn't even attached to the town in the distance. Cuttin' corners where ever possible, heh.

Ep 5:
SQUEEEEEEE~ This place is amazing!
Standing on boxes and barrels, fun.
Aww, can't walk on top of the walls. :(
The rubble piles, the scaffolding, the everything! This place is amazing, I was looking forward to this the most.

Say, what about Desert Stronghold? Is it too small and boring?

17 minutes ago, Sock said:

Say, what about Desert Stronghold? Is it too small and boring?

Sadly, although the exterior is pretty cool.

When I have time, I may record it just for you.

Not gonna make it a "proper" episode since I'm lazy, haha.

Invisible Celica? Maybe she didn't actually do what Jedah asked her to, it was all a ruse. She actually ran off and then stalked Alm the entire time. She didn't tell him because she wanted to be "rescued", but without actually being in danger. Plus it let her see him with his guard down, and ensure he wasn't falling for, as she puts it, "that wench Faye".

Being on topic, the temple's exterior looks nice and clean and the Greco-Roman design works, particularly at a distance. The rampart-filled room where all those Arcanists appear reminds me of Skyward Sword and the Sealed Temple.

Yeah, I love the designs of some of the structures. I really do hope we'll get a Fire Emblem RPG one day. Or at least the ability to roam around castles and villages, etc.

About the "invisibility", I think what happens is that Alm/Celica fall off the map. So they're probably still running around at the very bottom of the map, where the camera can't track them.

Hmm... Maybe I should hack the camera one day, so you can get some better angles, like a birds-eye view.