Which elements, if any, of Heroes would you like to see in main series titles?

DefyingFates

So, Heroes simplifies the FE formula a bit (namely the removal of accuracy and critical hits as well as smaller maps and movement ranges) but also adds unique features, such as Seals and its own take on Skills.

Which of these elements would you like to see worked into the main series? (First person to say "the gacha system" gets shot out of a pistol).

I personally would love to see the fixed growth rates carry over into the main games (since I've never been a fan of RNG :P)

Edited by DefyingFates

I believe some previous titles, like Path of Radiance, let you have the option between random growth rates and fixed rates. I don't think random rates should be replaced entirely, but I agree that I think choosing between the two should be an option they have in future titles. 

I actually like the weapon triangle's implementation in Heroes and wish the triangle played more of a role in the main games. 

Also the idea of active skills is a cool idea. Echoes somewhat implements that through its Arts system, but something based on the number of actions a unit has taken like what we have in Heroes could add another layer of strategy. 

It would also be cool to see more movement-oriented assist skills like Reposition and Draw Back in the main games. I know they already have Swap and Shove in some capacity in some games, but I'd like to see more of that kind of thing. 

The way magic is integrated into the weapon triangle is infinitely better than what Fates did.  I like there being a different kind of magic for each corner, and keeping bows/daggers separate.  It both makes the magic triangle more relevant, and separates the magic schools further. 

I actually kinda like the SP based skill system, though inheritance obviously won't work without the gacha.  But the pre-inheritance skill system can work.  

33 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Which of these elements would you like to see worked into the main series? (First person to say "the gacha system" gets shot out of a pistol).

The Gacha system. 
(weeeeeeee)

I'm gonna agree with MaskedAmpharos and Glaceon. Because in truth I can't think of anything else to add, and posted so I can get shot out of a cannon/pistol.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I actually kinda like the SP based skill system, though inheritance obviously won't work without the gacha.  But the pre-inheritance skill system can work.  

Now I can't help but think about sacrificing Donnel to give your Lucina Aptitude. 

Players will have to choose between having a full roster by endgame or just a few really decked-out units :P

Definitely Reinhardt-type units; you know, the ones that basically take away any kind of strategy. I'd like those in my Fire Emblem games.... oh wait, they already did that with archers in Echoes..... then none :D, though some would be fine to implement, like seals and a return of a magic triangle.

Some things I'd like to see in future FE games in some form:

The color triangle and the effects it has during matchups.

Action-based cooldown system for active skills.

How every unit in the game can have up to 3 different passive skills (each slot allowing a different category of passives), a seal item that has a passive effect, a command/assist skill, a weapon skill, and a special skill.

17 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I actually like the weapon triangle's implementation in Heroes and wish the triangle played more of a role in the main games.

The main reason the weapon triangle doesn't matter as much in the main series games is mostly because it mostly affects hit percent and not damage. The problem with that is the fact that a large portion of the playable cast has high enough Skill (and opponents have low enough Speed) that your hit percent is not drastically affected by the weapon triangle disadvantage penalty (with the exception of axe user trying to hit Swordfighters), compounded by the fact that hit percent uses the average of two random numbers instead of one.

In the games that I'm most familiar with, the GBA and Tellius games, the weapon triangle modifier is ±1 damage and ±15 (in FE6-8) or ±10 (in FE9-10) hit percent. This basically means that as long as the player-controlled character is not an axe user and the opponent is not a Swordfighter, the only real repercussion of attacking at weapon triangle disadvantage is that your opponent has a better chance of hitting you. That's really it.

Nothing. Fire Emblem Heroes is trash. Just the worst.

But yeah, I don't know about every character randomly growing into their maximum stats, but fixed growth rates are something I've always asked to come back from Path of Radiance. Just don't hide it behind a second playthrough.  And for fun have those equippable bands or star shards as collectible, hidden items.

Restricting unit skills into "types" seems like a good idea for balance. Limit one activation skill, one assist skill (shove, swap, etc), and one passive buff/debuff. Though that may not gel well with a system of earning skills through reclassing. Let's say Luna was definitely the best activation skill, well, everybody's just gonna have to reclass in order to collect that. But if the game had no second seals and everybody is restricted to one class line, then you would progressively earn the options that are related to that class and equip what you like the most.

Mages & Throwing Weapons being the same as bows in terms of distance would be a huge change that I genuinely want to see implemented at least once in a main series title to see how it works in full, real maps.

The change to the breaker skills is also pretty interesting. It's no doubt done since hitrates are gone, but being able to guarantee a double & get rid of their double would be interesting both on player units and enemy units. I'd like to see similar skills implemented

Swap & Shove are pretty useful skills already, but Reposition & Pivot are fantastic additions that I'd love to see in a main line. 

In general, the fact that skills are separated into 3 categories and you can only ever have one per cateogry at a time is really good. Even if FE Switch keeps Awakening & Fates' 5 skill slots, spreading different skills into either/or categories would shake things up, I think. No more awful all-breaker units, if nothing else.

The weapon triangle plays such a large role that I hope its implemented into the main game.

I'm also a fan of how the different forms of magic are a part of different parts of the triangle instead of just one

Im a fan of the weapons like the -blade,  -owl, jewel, etc though some could be balanced. I also love how certain weapons have a level 2 version of a skill, makes the weapon feel more unique

The breaker skills I find to be better in this version than the main games. This also includes how you can't just give a breaker for what you're weak to to fix any problems (like lancebreaker on a sword unit)

the repositioning skills were an interesting idea that makes for some fun strategies.  

The spur and hone skills are interesting though I really don't think we should get the unique ones

Edited by Maronmario
Forgot something

22 minutes ago, r_n said:

The change to the breaker skills is also pretty interesting. It's no doubt done since hitrates are gone, but being able to guarantee a double & get rid of their double would be interesting both on player units and enemy units. I'd like to see similar skills implemented

Swap & Shove are pretty useful skills already, but Reposition & Pivot are fantastic additions that I'd love to see in a main line. 

In general, the fact that skills are separated into 3 categories and you can only ever have one per cateogry at a time is really good. Even if FE Switch keeps Awakening & Fates' 5 skill slots, spreading different skills into either/or categories would shake things up, I think. No more awful all-breaker units, if nothing else.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm a huge fan of the new double-attack manipulating Breaker skills as well as them being more restricted; it feels so much more elegant than lol hit/avoid. Reposition and Pivot are also wonderful.

Class promotion, like unlocking new weapons, and changing units from infantry to mounted.

------

Oops I misunderstood the title. Can I delete this post? No? ... Then I'll let this post suicide by saying "gacha system".

Edited by Rosetta

Countdown skills could be a cool addition.

Instead of relying on RNG procs to activate skills, you would have some degree of control on when to activate skills (I say some, because you don't always which and how many enemies will attack a given unit).

Perhaps percentage chance and countdown based skills could both exist in a mainline FE, thus greatly increasing the possible skill and build variety.

I would love to see a skill system based off what we have in Heroes make it into a mainline FE game.  While I think there should always be at least some degree of luck involved when it comes to hit rates, it doesn't need to be exasperated by the continued use of FE4's RNG-dependant skills.    

I'd like to see Special Proc skills that go off after a set number of turns/hits/what-have-you, instead of being a percent chance.

8 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Definitely Reinhardt-type units; you know, the ones that basically take away any kind of strategy. I'd like those in my Fire Emblem games.... oh wait, they already did that with archers in Echoes..... then none :D, though some would be fine to implement, like seals and a return of a magic triangle.

FE main series already had an even worse version

FE1 have Lena FE5 have.... idk the entire game. FE6 have Niime. Turning FE into a button clicker 

Edited by JSND

5 hours ago, JSND said:

FE main series already had an even worse version

FE1 have Lena FE5 have.... idk the entire game. FE6 have Niime. Turning FE into a button clicker 

Never played those, but I believe you, since it wouldn't surprise me. However, how does a Cleric/Druid compare to my aforementioned super-range delete-buttons like Rein and Echoes' Archers?

12 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Never played those, but I believe you, since it wouldn't surprise me. However, how does a Cleric/Druid compare to my aforementioned super-range delete-buttons like Rein and Echoes' Archers?

Warp staff. A long range delete unit can delete one unit from range. A warped melee engine of destruction can destroy all units within a [enemy move] tile radius.

16 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Warp staff. A long range delete unit can delete one unit from range. A warped melee engine of destruction can destroy all units within a [enemy move] tile radius.

Ah, I get it, the Witch problem, if everyone was Valbar, lol. The warp staff at least had durability, I hope? Not that it really matters :P

2 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

since phineas have mentioned it, all 3 of the unit i mentioned basically had enough warp usage from when they joined to the end of the game that you can warp all the difficulty away with the addition of Hammerne staff

Lena is the most hilarious since Warp have 7 durability and the spacing between 2 different warps are pretty darned close