Duma and Mila are weird when put into context

When Gaiden was first released, it featured various things that wouldn't show up in other games until quite later. One such thing was having only a non-dragon source of conflict, in the forms of Duma and Mila( or just Duma since Mila didn't so up at all.) We all know this is a very unique thing as when it isn't a dragon causing trouble, it's a human related to one. Only two other continuities share this. Sacred Stones with the Demon King and Tellius with Ashnard and those Godesses. However with the release of Echoes, Gaiden doesn't really have that honor anymore with the two being Divine Dragons now. And for a decent reason.

Mila and Duma are just weird.( and I'm not just talking about Duma's original sprite.) As Gaiden, or Echoes as I will refer to it from now on, takes place in the same universe as Shadow Dragon and Mystery. This doesn't mean much in terms of plot as the only effect this had originally was Camus and the Whitewings showing up.(And they added nothing to the plot.) But the context it gives to the setting shows why making the two dragons was a good idea. Their original concept as gods brought up many questions. Are their other gods in this continuity? Why does some random country to the west have gods while Archanea doesn't? And then there's Falchion showing up too.

But Echoes answered those questions by giving them a backstory. They were both Manaketes living in Archanea, until Naga exiled Duma for a dispute they had, and Mila went with him out of familial love. But Naga wasn't a total bitch (it was just a dispute, hardly worth exile) and gave them a parting gift, another Falchion, so the two could kill themselves when faced with degeneration... Nevermind, she's a bitch. This explains why two "gods" were in Valentia as well as Falchion, and even adds some reason to Rudolph's plan to kill them. In the original, he was just tired of their influence over Valentia. Here, its because they're going mad, which can't be a good thing. It's never a good thing when gods go mad.  So remaking them as dragons seems to be quite the logical move to make.

Until you remember they're Divine Dragons, with the power of gods apparently, like improving the land's fertility, or taking women's souls and turning them into empty shell of hot babes. Uh, what?

I mean, Mila can kind of work as a Divine Dragon, but her brother is basically proto-Grima. How the heck is this one-eyed monstrosity Divine in anyway? Earth might have been a better fit for them. (That or make them hybrids. Like they parents were from different tribes. What would happen in a case like that anyway?)

That said, I do have a theory that Duma's form here isn't his natural form. Rather he found out about that alchemist from Thabes work, and being the power-driven guy he is, used it to mutate himself to gain more power. Which adds some legitimacy to Naga's decision to exile him if that was the cause for it. Huh, guess I owe her an apology.

Well that's it for now. I add more to this later with the topic of the brands. But for now, I need a break.

EDIT: Okay so I'm back with the topics of the Brands this time, also a new addition to Echoes as Alm only had a birthmark in Gaiden from what I heard. Brands first showed in Fe4, being a mark on the skin that to show that the characters were part of bloodlines dating back to legendary warriors who made a bloodpact with dragons. This also showed up in Awakening, with the the royal family of Ylisse all having a brand to signify their connection with Naga and the First Exalt. Except for Lissa, who is a freak occurrance where the brand does not manifest. (Unless she does have it, only it's located on an internal organ of something.)

Both of those games are in or speculated to be in the same continuity as the Archanea games. Which makes Alm's and Celica's brands a bit weird. First off, it seems like Alm and Celica are the first with the Brands, or at the very least, the only ones in that generation. None of the other royal family members seem to have it. This is weird, especially when you consider how Lima was. Celica must have had bunch of siblings, yet only she has the brand. While Lissa shows the appearance of one isn't guaranteed, this is taking it a bit far. Secondly, they're the subject of a prophecy, which boils down to, "The Bearers of the brand will save Valentia." This is weird considering the how Brands have operated so far, which is basically being a mutation, for lack of a better word, that results from a bloodpact. Not some magical sign of fate. The whole deal comes off quite generic JRPG in contrast to the rest of the continuity, and if the brands are due to a bloodapct with Duma and Mila, then their portrayal leans closer to them being gods, not dragons, with the brands being a magical sign of fate, not a mutation.

Edited by RedRob

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duma wasn't exiled by Mila. He was exiled by Naga. Mila simply followed her brother to Valentia. As for their godly powers, well, Naga is capable of manipulating time and space, as shown in Awakening. So really, making the land fertile and taking women's souls is child's play compared to that.

Edited by Armagon

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Duma wasn't exiled by Mila. He was exiled by Naga.

That was a goof near the end there. The rest of my post refers to Naga as the one who exiled him.

It's likely that Doma was always a dragon, his sprite looks like a dragon zombie. Also just because something is divine doesn't mean that has to be to light, 'good', or made of bright colors. Divine simply means related to a god, so Doma being divine is correct, since he is likened to a god. Also, your theory doesn't make sense, since divine dragons from Archanea can freely change their form however they please, so he wouldn't need to travel to Thabes to change his form.

Edited by Lord of Gabriel Knight

Gaiden treated Mila and Duma as Gods but don't forget that the dragons in the series are sometimes treated as Gods as well like Naga for example. Duma's overworld sprite looks like a bit draconic and we can see a few similiarities beween Duma's battle sprite and a dragon such as a lizard/reptile face and wings.

I don't know if Kaga wanted them to be Gods and nothing more but I can see why they are Divine Dragons in the remake.

4 hours ago, RedRob said:

But Echoes anwered those questions by giving them a backstory. They were both Manaketes living in Archanea, until Naga exiled Duma for a dispute they had, and Mila went with him out of familial love. But Naga wasn't a total bitch (it was just a dispute, hardly worth exile) and gave them a parting gift, another Falchion, so the two could kill themselves when faced with degneration... Nevermind, she's a bitch. This explains why two "gods" were in Valentia as well as Falchion, and even adds some reason to Rudolph's plan to kill them. In the original, he was just tired of their influence over Valentia. Here, its because they're going mad, which can't be a good thing. It's never a good thing when gods go mad.  So remaking them as dragons seems to be quite the logical move to make.

The game never said they are Manaketes. Manaketes are dragons who sealed their power within a Dragonstone.
Even though both Mila and Duma have a human form, they look still very different compared to a human and the Manaketes' human forms since Mila still has a tail and wings.

The game also never said that Mila and Duma have a dragonstone so it's likely they don't have one. It would make sense as well since Jedah/Rudolf never consider the use of a dragonstone too for Duma and Mila and it would explain why Naga gave Duma a Falchion.
Why would she give him a Falchion if they had a dragonstone? Dragonstones are also supposed to stop a dragon to turn insane and to become a Degenerated Dragon which is pretty much what happened to Duma and probably what would have happened to Mila at one point. 

It's not explained why they had a dispute but if Duma refused to seal his powers in a a dragonstone (he is interested in power so it would make sense to me), it's normal that he was exiled since he was against what Naga tried to accomplish. She didn't give the Falchion to them because she is a "bitch" like you said but probably because she knew Duma would turn insane and that someone needed to stop him from suffering and him harming innocent people.

Until you remember they're Divine Dragons, with the power of gods apparently, like improving the land's fertility, or taking women's souls and turning them into empty shell of hot babes. Uh, what?

I mean, Mila can kind of work as a Divine Dragon, but her brother is basically proto-Grima. How the heck is this one-eyed monstrosity Divine in anyway? Earth might have been a better fit for them. (That or make them hybrids. Like they parents were from different tribes. What would happen in a case like that anyway?)

That said, I do have a theory that Duma's form here isn't his natural form. Rather he found out about that alchemist from Thabes work, and being the power-driven guy he is, used it to mutate himself to gain more power. Which adds some legitimacy to Naga's decision to exile him if that was the cause for it. Huh, guess I owe her an apology.

Well that's it for now. I add more to this later with the topic of the brands. But for now, I need a break.

Both Mila and Duma are siblings so it makes sense they belong to the same species. Duma's dragon form looks like Mila's dragon skeleton too. For all we know, Mila maybe had a big eye too like Duma.
Also even though Anankos is not a Divine Dragon or a Manakete, his dragon form looks pretty much fucked up compared to Corrin's so it's possible that if they are insane for too long both their mind and body become affected.

Edited by Thunderstar

1 hour ago, Thunderstar said:

Gaiden treated Mila and Duma as Gods but don't forget that the dragons in the series are sometimes treated as Gods as well like Naga for example. Duma's overworld sprite looks like a bit draconic and we can see a few similiarities beween Duma's battle sprite and a dragon such as a lizard/reptile face and wings.

I don't know if Kaga wanted them to be Gods and nothing more but I can see why they are Divine Dragons in the remake.

The game never said they are Manaketes. Manaketes are dragons who sealed their power within a Dragonstone.
Even though both Mila and Duma have a human form, they look still very different compared to a human and the Manaketes' human forms since Mila still has a tail and wings.

The game also never said that Mila and Duma have a dragonstone so it's likely they don't have one. It would make sense as well since Jedah/Rudolf never consider the use of a dragonstone too for Duma and Mila and it would explain why Naga gave Duma a Falchion.
Why would she give him a Falchion if they had a dragonstone? Dragonstones are also supposed to stop a dragon to turn insane and to become a Degenerated Dragon which is pretty much what happened to Duma and probably what would have happened to Mila at one point. 

It's not explained why they had a dispute but if Duma refused to seal his powers in a a dragonstone (he is interested in power so it would make sense to me), it's normal that he was exiled since he was against what Naga tried to accomplish. She didn't give the Falchion to them because she is a "bitch" like you said but probably because she knew Duma would turn insane and that someone needed to stop him from suffering and him harming innocent people.

Both Mila and Duma are siblings so it makes sense they belong to the same species. Duma's dragon form looks like Mila's dragon skeleton too. For all we know, Mila maybe had a big eye too like Duma.
Also even though Anankos is not a Divine Dragon or a Manakete, his dragon form looks pretty much fucked up compared to Corrin's so it's possible that if they are insane for too long both their mind and body become affected.

I think the Duma eyeball thing was there because it was to show how his corrupted/insane soul manifested in his physical form. If you look at Duma's battle model, he does have eyeless sockets where normal eyes would be and his head structure is the same as Mila's (seen on her dragon skeleton model). I'd imagine that he used to look like a normal dragon until he lost his mind.

Edited by Leif

22 minutes ago, Leif said:

I think the Duma eyeball thing was there because it was to show how his corrupted/insane soul manifested in his physical form. If you look at Duma's battle model, he does have eyeless sockets where normal eyes would be and his head structure is the same as Mila's (seen on her dragon skeleton model). I'd imagine that he used to look like a normal dragon until he lost his mind.

I just looked at Mila's skeleton model in the 3DS menu and I am seeing that she doesn't have a big eyeless socket for a giant eye like Duma and that they both have little ones for probably their normal eyes so you're right.

I guess that like I said previously about Anankos, degenerated dragons' bodies/physical forms can probably change just like their mind once they turned insane so he probably got his big eye after he turned insane.

8 hours ago, Thunderstar said:

The game also never said that Mila and Duma have a dragonstone so it's likely they don't have one.

Mila and Doma look almost like other Manakete from Archanea. Mila practically looks identical to Nagi. Tiki has been shown to have wings in some art. Plus, generic Manakete from Archanea have wings in both art and sprites.

Mila has a dragonstone, she's holding it in the cutscene when Rudolf invades her temple and uses it to transform. Doma either does not have a dragonstone or stopped using his, as he has gone mad.

Eh, I just thought Manakete was the species name in general. I feel like you're getting worked up over a someone using basically using it as slang for dragonkind.

Honestly, the bitch comment was just me trying to make fun of the situation, which I found kind of ridiculous. Their dispute is vague leaving the outcome of exile seeming a bit harsh, and then they get a suicide tool as a farewell gift. I also ended the joke off with saying I might need to apologize to Naga near the end of my post. And I feel like you're being condescending here. I noted why she gave it to them. No need to explain like I'm ignorant of everything.

I never said they were from different species, just that maybe they should have been Earth dragons instead of Divine ones, due to how Duma looked. And I don't think Anankos is good for comparison. As you said, he isn't connected to Archanean lore, just based off it. Plus Corrin is half-human, which might have played into how his dragon form looked. Granted, there is Nah, but I feel trying to compare the workings of genetics from different continuities to be pointless.

Man, no need to get all defensive.

Anyway, as LoGK said, Mila does have a Dragon Stone, so she is indeed a manakete. If Duma doesn't use one than that seems like a good reason for Naga to banish him and give him a suicide tool, while also explaining why Mila isn't mad yet. Perhaps she wouldn't turn insane at all, or maybe constantly using her powers to make Zofia fertile takes a toll on her despite the Dragon Stone.

6 hours ago, Lord of Gabriel Knight said:

Mila and Doma look almost like other Manakete from Archanea. Mila practically looks identical to Nagi. Tiki has been shown to have wings in some art. Plus, generic Manakete from Archanea have wings in both art and sprites.

Mila has a dragonstone, she's holding it in the cutscene when Rudolf invades her temple and uses it to transform. Doma either does not have a dragonstone or stopped using his, as he has gone mad.

Fair enough. I forgot about Tiki having wings in some art and abut the generic Manaketes. I just found it weird that Mila had wings and a tail in her human form. 

I was wondering if that thing Mila was holding was a dragonstone but if that's the case Jedah's dialogue doesn't make sense.
A dragonstone is supposed to stop a dragon from turning mad which is why they created it in order to save the dragonkind. You can also discard it as long the dragon power is sealed in the stone like how Gotoh, Xane and Bantu in the ending did and no one of them turned insane for example. Nowi even met Bantu according to her dialogue in the shiny tiles and since he is her new friend, he probably isn't insane. 

Jedah pretty much said that Mila's soul is going to be corrupted by madness and she is fated to destroy herself like Duma. Of course he could have just lied to Celica about this but since the game never confirmed it, he might have been right too about it. So either Jedah lied and that thing is a dragonstone or he was saying the truth and that thing is not a dragonstone or at least doesn't work like the other ones.

Eh, I just thought Manakete was the species name in general. I feel like you're getting worked up over a someone using basically using it as slang for dragonkind.

I don't see what gives you that impression. You want to discuss about Mila and Duma's backstories so I am just explaining to what they are supposed to be and what the game confirms and what it doesn't. I have no idea if you knew what it was exactly or if you were using it as a slang for the dragonkind after all. There is nothing wrong about this.

Honestly, the bitch comment was just me trying to make fun of the situation, which I found kind of ridiculous. Their dispute is vague leaving the outcome of exile seeming a bit harsh, and then they get a suicide tool as a farewell gift. I also ended the joke off with saying I might need to apologize to Naga near the end of my post. And I feel like you're being condescending here. I noted why she gave it to them. No need to explain like I'm ignorant of everything.

Calm down. I got your joke and I never told you that you were ignorant or something like that. There is no need for you to act like if I were being offensive or insulting.

You made your own theory about Duma's form being changed thanks to Forneus and the reason why he could have been exiled so I simply made my own.

Duma turning insane in SoV is a proof that he doesn't have a dragonstone and is a good reason for Naga to exile him and to give him the Falchion especially when we know that dragonstones and degenerated dragons are a big deal in this world. 
I just gave an explanation to support my theory, not because I found what you said was ignorant or anything.

5 hours ago, RedRob said:

I never said they were from different species, just that maybe they should have been Earth dragons instead of Divine ones, due to how Duma looked. And I don't think Anankos is good for comparison. As you said, he isn't connected to Archanean lore, just based off it. Plus Corrin is half-human, which might have played into how his dragon form looked. Granted, there is Nah, but I feel trying to compare the workings of genetics from different continuities to be pointless.

Fair enough but if they were Earth Dragons then Naga wouldn't have given to Duma the Falchion.
She would have just told him to either have a dragonstone like Medeus or she would have sealed him away under the Dragon's Table with the other Earth Dragons since all the Earth Dragons at that time became degenerate except for Loptyr thanks to his pact with Galle and Medeus thanks to his dragonstone.
And even if they retconned Duma by not making him a degenerate dragon at that time, with the whole incident with Loptyr in Judgral, I doubt that she would have let an Earth Dragon that was banished to rule a country. 

I don't think Duma refusing to take a human form was the reason he fought with Naga. Duma, like Mila, is portrayed as having a human form in the Memory Prism and the Relief in Mila's temple, so he doesn't seem to mind it that much. Additionally, considering how fast degeneration hit the Earth Dragons in lore I think if Duma refused to take a human form at all he would've been long gone by the time Alm and friends came into the picture, so he had to have taken that form for at least some time if he staved off his degeneration for this long. So if he wasn't bothered enough when he took the form in those cases, I don't think he'd be bothered enough to make it an issue with Naga, it's probably something else entirely like their conflicting ideals on humans.

Also, I think even if Duma and Mila were Earth Dragons Naga still would've given them a Falchion. The thing with the Earth Dragons as a whole is that they were resilient to taking a human form because they saw humans as nothing more then insects and didn't want to cede to world to them. Duma and Mila by their backstory wouldn't fit that mold, they want the best for humanity in their own way and try to nurture it with their extreme ideologies. So Naga wouldn't have a reason to withhold the Falchion from them if they were Earth Dragons anymore then she would've if they were Divine Dragons, she'd still want to provide the humans of Valentia a way to combat both if they went bonkers sometime in the future.

Yeah, I found the idea that the reason Mila didn't seal Duma because he was a Divine Dragon to make her racist. Like it's fine if the exiled Divine Dragon rules a country, but not the exiled Earth Dragon. Note the by exiled Earth Dragon, I'm referring to a hypothecial version of Duma, not Loptyr, in case I confused anyone. Plus she wanted all dragons to seal their powers, not only Earth Dragons. Saying she gave Duma a Falchion instead of having him make a dragonstone just because he was from her tribe, to once again make her look racist.

Though I don't think Duma had a stone as I'm pretty sure that sealing of one's power in a dragonstone stopped the degeneration. But as Medeus said, he didn't seem to mind having a human form. Heck, he doesn't even hate humans, and a dragonstone only momentarily weakens a dragon by having them assume a human form, as they can still access their dragon form, so it doesn't conflict too much with his power-based mindset.

I'm starting to think whoever wrote their new backstory wasn't too aware of previous canon and lore. Though I'm not sure that wasn't even consistent. I went to look at the wiki's Manakete page to do some fact checking, and it says Mila was just a dragon that took a human form, as she still has dragonic traits, which a Manakete wouldn't have, yet the page image for a Manakete is this.

276.png.e75fc986cb89c9ee62b25b75d9771959.png

Which is from the card for Manaketes in the card game. So again, not sure if the lore behind them is entirely consistent.

I'm pretty sure that a "dragon that took a human form" is what a Manakete is supposed to be, unless there's a source that says differently.

Duma probably did make a Dragonstone, we just never saw it (otherwise he wouldn't have a human form). I'd assume that making a Dragonstone just delays degeneration instead of preventing it, as Anankos is mentioned to have owned a Dragonstone (Azura's pendant is made from a fragment of it) but it clearly didn't stop him from eventually going insane.

34 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'm pretty sure that a "dragon that took a human form" is what a Manakete is supposed to be, unless there's a source that says differently.

Duma probably did make a Dragonstone, we just never saw it (otherwise he wouldn't have a human form). I'd assume that making a Dragonstone just delays degeneration instead of preventing it, as Anankos is mentioned to have owned a Dragonstone (Azura's pendant is made from a fragment of it) but it clearly didn't stop him from eventually going insane.

The wiki said the main difference between the the two is that a Manakete only has pointed ears as a sign of their heritage, and their powers are sealed in their dragonstone. Those that just assume a human form will have other traits to show it, like Mila.

1 hour ago, RedRob said:

The wiki said the main difference between the the two is that a Manakete only has pointed ears as a sign of their heritage, and their powers are sealed in their dragonstone. Those that just assume a human form will have other traits to show it, like Mila.

Sure, the wiki says that but I'm not sure if any official material makes a distinction between "Manaketes" and "dragons with a human form". By that definition, Myrrh is not a Manakete (because she has wings in human form) despite being clearly referred to as one.

If you don't have another (official) source then I'll assume that it's just an assumption the wiki made, not to mention that the wiki refers to Duma and Mila as Manaketes in some contexts.

Edited by Lightchao42

I think it is pretty much confirmed that neither were Manaketes nor that they knew about them.

From the reconned lore of Echoes the banishment should have happened well before Degeneration was first detected during the heyday of dragons. (no idea precisely how long before though)

Since both of them were in exile (Mila willingly following her brother) they wouldn't have known about the dragonstone solution.

You can notice that even in their "human" forms they posses draconic traits that Manaketes do not (namely tails)  plus both freely use their powers without a stone medium(Mila forms a concentrated ball of energy during the cutscene but she doesn't use a stone) which would be required for Manaketes. Both showed signs of degeneration Duma's was likely accelerated by his obsession for Power

38 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

From the reconned lore of Echoes the banishment should have happened well before Degeneration was first detected during the heyday of dragons. (no idea precisely how long before though)

Since both of them were in exile (Mila willingly following her brother) they wouldn't have known about the dragonstone solution.

In that case, if Degeneration was unheard of, why would Naga give them Falchion so they could be taken care of when it happened? At that point in time Naga would be unaware of their eventual fate.

Edited by RedRob

3 minutes ago, RedRob said:

In that case, if Degeneration was unheard of, why would Naga give them Falchion so they could be taken care of when it happened? At that point in them Naga would be unaware of their eventual fate.

It wasn't specific to Degeneration. Just to strike them down should they for some reason start mistreating the locals or something.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It wasn't specific to Degeneration. Just to strike them down should they for some reason start mistreating the locals or something.

In that case, why would she give Falchion to them? If they were to start mistreating the locals, they would toss it to protect themselves.

2 minutes ago, RedRob said:

In that case, why would she give Falchion to them? If they were to start mistreating the locals, they would toss it to protect themselves.

Well, Naga knew how Duma and Mila are. She likely figured that if anything happens, it won't be in the immediate future, so by that point the siblings would've already given the sword to the locals and stuff. She simply was mistaken, of course, since we know that the siblings would in fact start to argue between each other (don't remember exactly how long after their arrival, though, though Duma still personally held the sword, apparently).

5 hours ago, Dragrath said:

I think it is pretty much confirmed that neither were Manaketes nor that they knew about them.

You can notice that even in their "human" forms they posses draconic traits that Manaketes do not (namely tails)  plus both freely use their powers without a stone medium(Mila forms a concentrated ball of energy during the cutscene but she doesn't use a stone) which would be required for Manaketes. Both showed signs of degeneration Duma's was likely accelerated by his obsession for Power

There is no evidence that supports your chronology, so this isn't a strong theory.

Mila is infact a Manakete, since she IS using a stone in that cutscene, she's holding it before she begins channeling her power into it. How can you not see it, it's purple and huge.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170122052123

Manakete do have draconic traits even while in human form. Also, divine dragons still have a great deal of power and are able to change their form at will, even without the use of a stone, for example, Xane is a divine dragon that can transform into other people, even though he lost his stone centuries ago.

I just want to point out that "Divine Dragon" is an artefact of FE7's translation which isn't exactly known for continuity with the rest for the series. The literal translation is "god dragon" (神竜) so that's their excuse for being omnipotent I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/6/2017 at 2:17 AM, Agro said:

I just want to point out that "Divine Dragon" is an artefact of FE7's translation which isn't exactly known for continuity with the rest for the series. The literal translation is "god dragon" (神竜) so that's their excuse for being omnipotent I guess.

I mean, it's not really that much of difference since divine's literal meaning is: Connected with a god, or like a god
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/divine