Clive, Forsyth and Slayde VS Eliwood, Hector and Erik

Which Dislike is More Interesting/Bettter  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which Dislike is More Interesting/Bettter

• Eliwood and Hector's Dislike of Marquess Louse
    • Clive and Forsythe's Dislike of Slayde

BTW: I'm aware there are more situations like this in FE than these two, but I'm focusing on them...because. I'm ignoring Roy and Erik for the moment. But if you want to go past these two sets in this thread, that's OK.

|Erik's the Marquess of Laus, am I right or am I right?

Anyway, one juxtaposition:

-In FE Blazing Sword, Eliwood goes to treat with Erik, but IIRC Hector stops Erik's treachery. I cannot remember if Eliwood was going along with this. But in general, it seems like Eliwood was more willing to forgive Erik's prior awfulness to give him another chance.

-In FE: Echoes, Clive and Forsyth are outraged in a DLC when Slayde flees the battle, without his men, to save his own skin. Clive eventually cracks a joke bout Slayde and asks Forsythe to allow him occasional time to curse and defame. In other words, unlike Eliwood, Clive has considered Slayde miserably bad for quite some time.

I haven't finished Echoes so there's probably more with this slayde jerk. Unless I already killed him and forgot.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it I think he is dead.

[This post is made in memory of Yang Wenli, who I'll always remember for scratching the back of his head.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louse

Edited by Professor Groeteschele

Don't you mean Clive and Fernand? You wrote Forscyth.

Anyway, I don't think either are interesting. Slayde is not a satisfyingly engaging villain and Erik is just a twerp that never got over a high school grudge and has a shitty dad. That particular Echoes DLC was mainly focused on showing us that Fernand was once a very passionate knight, but crass enough that you can see the present day Fernand in him at the same time. The rivalry between him and Clive is far more interesting than anything Slayde does.

The politics behind the Eliwood/Hector Erik dynamic is so much more interesting, IMO.

Ostia is the seat of Lycia’s League of Lords. Laus feels slighted, does not believe Ostia should hold such power, and holds Laus to be the true seat of Lycia.

It went beyond personal dislike amongst the involved lords.

Its a multigenerational thing that’s around in FE7—for Nergal to play off of when he’s looking for potential sources of conflict to release death and destruction, and grant him the surge of power he needs to call his dragons.

And its still around 20 years later in FE6—for Bern to play off of when they’re looking for potential sources of conflict to divide and weaken Lycia.

Its one of those subtle touches that makes the Elibe Saga so masterfully well-done.

The writing in Echoes was good. But it wasn’t FE7 good.    

Edited by Shoblongoo