Future Tempest Trial Speculation/Wishlist Thread

I dunno.  Unfortunitly, I called it quits on the last banner.  While I don't really care for Lucina, I did want quickened pulse bad...but, I don't really regret not spending ~3hrs everyday for two weeks on it.  I'll gladly play the game that often, but not in such a grindy way.

I actually find GHB/Special Maps to be a lot more interesting.  They require a ton of skill, the right characters, and some power-leveling if you don't have what you need.  Vortex is just...have 4 good units and grind like nothing else for one or two top-tier rewards.  

One idea would be to make it so every, say, 3 maps there is a miniboss round that is the same all the time but more difficult.  This would allow you to actually strategize your teams and not just pray for easy matchups and grind. 

Really, I applaud everyone who got quickened pulse, but it's just not necessary to make us grind THAT much for a mobile game that has never striked me as an overly grindy game up to this point.

The permadeath mode wasn't really what made it hard.  In fact, I could care less about permadeath, my problem was the fact that my units didn't heal after every battle.  This is silly imo.  It forces you to bring brave units, healers, etc. or not bring tanks.  It's too specific.

Edited by Lushen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Lushen said:

The permadeath mode wasn't really what made it hard.  In fact, I could care less about permadeath, my problem was the fact that my units didn't heal after every battle.  This is silly imo.  It forces you to bring brave units, healers, etc. or not bring tanks.  It's too specific.

God forbid there be a game mode where staff users aren't completely useless.

Arena focuses on deleting opposing units before they delete you. Tempest focuses on your team staying alive forever. Most players at the beginning of the previous Tempest probably only had characters optimized for Arena.

Tanks work just fine if they're built properly for sustain. The problem with most players' tanks is that they're designed to survive maybe two rounds of combat because that's all they needed to do in Arena.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

God forbid there be a game mode where staff users aren't completely useless.

Hah, good point.  I even used my Sakura :p

I dunno, I suppose my preference would be if they healed, say, 20% of their health after every battle automatically.  That way you dont HAVE to bring a healer, but they'd still be one of the best units to have.  

I just didn't get the permadeath feel that I was expecting to get because the noheal was a bigger deal to me.  Or maybe its the fact that you get so many backup teams.

Edit:  Oh, actually I just rememberd how confused I was that you couldn't fill in characters after one, two, or three die.  That's probably why it didnt feel like permadeath, because the characters weren't dieing - the teams were.

Edited by Lushen

1 minute ago, Lushen said:

Hah, good point.  I even used my Sakura :p

I dunno, I suppose my preference would be if they healed, say, 20% of their health after every battle automatically.  That way you dont HAVE to bring a healer, but they'd still be one of the best units to have.  

Having to reactivate Desperation, Vantage, Escape Route, and Wings of Mercy after every round would be such a pain, though.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Having to reactivate Desperation, Vantage, Escape Route, and Wings of Mercy after every round would be such a pain, though.

You're right, I didn't think about that.  Scratch that.

The new Tempest Trial changes have been announced in tomorrow's update, among more story modes.

In future Tempest Trials, enemy HP no longer regenerates when you retry a map with your next team. AND defeated enemies won't revive. It appears the 20% reduction of max health still exists for Surrender Abuse, but the game will choose whichever results in the enemies having lower HP: Reduced Max health, or remaining health from your failed attempt. Normal and Hard difficulty runs also award more base points, which should better validate those difficulty choices for intermediate level players.

7 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

The new Tempest Trial changes have been announced in tomorrow's update, among more story modes.

In future Tempest Trials, enemy HP no longer regenerates when you retry a map with your next team. AND defeated enemies won't revive. It appears the 20% reduction of max health still exists for Surrender Abuse, but the game will choose whichever results in the enemies having lower HP: Reduced Max health, or remaining health from your failed attempt. Normal and Hard difficulty runs also award more base points, which should better validate those difficulty choices for intermediate level players.

Those are nice changes, but I'm more curious about those other modes.

2 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Those are nice changes, but I'm more curious about those other modes.

Yes, here is a page with even more details from a Famitsu article on those modes. Both seem to take elements from TT, perhaps for the sake of people that wanted Tempest Trials to be a mode they could tackle whenever rather than certain times of the month. Chain Challenge is a series of consecutive battles. I'm not sure if 80 stages is meant to mean you could go on to fight 80 maps in a row, or there are 80 separate sets of maps. Squad Assault seems to take a new spin on the permadeath mechanic where your heroes are "captured" upon completion of a map. Kind of weird, but I guess that's meant to address people like me that breeze through consecutive maps with a single cav team that's unstoppable. These details still seem spotty, but it's all coming in tomorrow/tonight's update, so we won't have to wait for long to test out the modes.

Edit: Whoops, we're not version 1.5 yet. I thought this was that update.

Edited by Gustavos

1 minute ago, Gustavos said:

Yes, here is a page with even more details from a Famitsu article on those modes. Both seem to take elements from TT, perhaps for the sake of people that wanted Tempest Trials to be a mode they could tackle whenever rather than certain times of the month. Chain Challenge is a series of consecutive battles. I'm not sure if 80 stages is meant to mean you could go on to fight 80 maps in a row, or there are 80 separate sets of maps. Squad Assault seems to take a new spin on the permadeath mechanic where your heroes are "captured" upon completion of a map. Kind of weird, but I guess that's meant to address people like me that breeze through consecutive maps with a single cav team that's unstoppable. These details still seem spotty, but it's all coming in tomorrow/tonight's update, so we won't have to wait for long to test out the modes.

I'm also glad that they're reducing the battery usage on Android. 

Edit: Oh, and danger area on by default.

Edited by Arthur97

Tempest Trials changes are nice, specifically the better points for doing Normal and Hard difficulties. It still doesn't do much for the grind, but at least players can have some options instead of doing Lunatic all the time. The other changes are also nice for me since I try to use two actual teams, and the "dead units stay dead" mechanic will help if things start going south.

I'm still concerned about the burnout, but maybe the point rewards have been shuffled around to make it less of a grind...

I'm hoping this time round we'll have longer than two weeks to collect some points. Last time round, all I did in Heroes was Tempest, and it became such a drag. I don't really need to get the best rewards/orbs, but I think it would be nice to take it a bit more easy, in terms of the grind, for the stuff I do want to target.

Glad to see they're already starting to alleviate some of the issues. It will still be a grind, but I think there will be an uptick in successful runs due to the death mechanic/taking lowest HP and It's good to see that lower difficulties will be singificantly better off.

I bet August's tempest will keep improving on this. And I'd be surprised if they don't add an Infernal ranking for all the whales.