Which Ace Attorney Rival is Your Favourite?

Ace Pelleas

Go on,choose,after all you've already read the topic  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favourite Rival?

• Miles Edgeworth
    • Franziska Von Karma
    • Godot
    • Klavier Gavin
    • Shi-Long Lang
    • Sebastian Debeste
    • Justine Courtney
    • Simon Blackquill
    • Nahyuta Sahdmadhi
    • Barok Van Zieks

Well,a few months ago I started the discussion of what's the best and worst Ace Attorney Case. Well, another topic regarding that matter would be cool,but now let's do something different!!

The rival from the crossover with Professor Layton won't be included. Also,two rivals from Investigations 2 will be,well technically there were two,if one wasn't that smart is another story.   

My favourite rival gotta be Klavier Gavin.He was the first rival that wasn't a jerk to the defense attorney and actually helped you uncovering the truth,rather than just trying to incriminate the defendant. Well he certainly lacked character development,despite having the biggest potential in the franchise(We all know AJ:AA was rushed).

I'd rank the rivals like this;

Klavier > Edgeworth > Blackquill > Debeste > Lang > Godot > Franziska > Courtney

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of women being the main rival on Ace Attorney games,I just can't stand a person that freaking whips everyone in court and I think that Justine was quite a pain to deal with,because most of the times her arguments were too strong and it was frustranting to deal with her. Also,I never played SoJ and DGS,so that's why Nahyuta and Van Zieks are excluded from this list. 

Edited by Ace Pelleas

I initially was going to choose Godot, but then I saw Shi-Long Lang and immediately chose him as he's a really interesting character and heavily integrated into the Investigations series.  Although, I do really like Godot still.

As much as I like Edgeworth, I think the best rival was Godot. The rivalry between Wright and Edgeworth has pretty much settled down by now and it is rare to see them facing each other off like in the old days.

You also forgot Manfred von Karma, by the way.

Edited by Rapier

1 hour ago, MediocreLee said:

I initially was going to choose Godot, but then I saw Shi-Long Lang and immediately chose him as he's a really interesting character and heavily integrated into the Investigations series.  Although, I do really like Godot still.

Lang is amazing, his backstory in Investigations 2 was pretty cool and plus being shot and stil continuing to do his work in the I-5 was awesome! Despite that,I'd still rank a few rivals above him,but he'd definitely be on my top 20 AA characters!

36 minutes ago, Rapier said:

As much as I like Edgeworth, I think the best rival was Godot. The rivalry between Wright and Edgeworth has pretty much settled down by now and it is rare to see them facing each other off like in the old days.

You also forgot Manfred von Karma, by the way.

Well,I thought of doing so,but we basically face off against him in 2 cases,Turnabout Goodbyes and The Inherited Turnabout. Even though,we use two different characters,but if we consider him to be a rival of the second character,he could easily enter the list,but using this argument we would also have to include Kristoph Gavin and a few others,that's why I left him out 

Edgeworth was only really a rival in the first game, and frankly, he was quite a dick there. (Of course, that kind of goes without saying when your mentor is Van Karma). From JFA onwards, he's more of an ally than anything. So while he's a great character, I'm gonna choose Godot over him here, for two main reasons -- mocking the idea of an undefeated prosecutor (because it was his first case), and being your full-blown rival in one of the best cases in the series. 3-5 was intense, and that final breakdown was just downright glorious.

Damn, now I want to watch it again. Isn't that right, Trite...?

On a side note, Debeste's character development was absolutely beautiful. The fact he was absolutely insufferable before that only makes it better.

Edited by TheEnd

Simon blackquil. He combines the best bits of most prosecutors while still having a very clear identity of his own. The man is baddass like Godot, intelligent yet fair like Edgeworth and dominates the judge like the Von Karma's. 

He also has his own quirks and traits like his dorky love of Japan and birds, his big bro relation with Athena and I think him being terrifying is played from a somewhat different angle then with Godot. Due to being serious Blackquil can also be very funny. He's dead serious about being a weabo, about his love for birds and how things getting off script tends to piss him off. How serious he is about these weird things can be amusing, like his threat to the animal doctor for daring to insult the penguin or his shocked reaction about Robin.

Case 4 of Spirit of justice was very weak but I'd say it speaks for Blackquil that he so successfully carried that case all by his own. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I voted for Justine because while she could be annoying at times, when she opposed Edgeworth, her arguments actually made sense, and also the fact the actually had arguments to begin with. It was quite refreshing when compared to people like Fraziska, Lang and Godot, who would sometime deny the main characters argument out of spite or to "test" them. Don't get me wrong, I know she sometimes opposed Edgeworth due to her dislike of him, but her arguments never felt as "bullshitty". Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but her arguments never pissed me off, even when she defended the third case's culprit.

I like Justine, but it made no sense for her to be there at all. It wasn't just absurd that a judge was delegated by a prosecutorial commitee to follow Edgeworth, it was also absurd that she was helping with the investigations and aiding a prosecutor (or, worse yet, pretty much making the case for him, one that iirc she would judge in court if it got to that) while at it. Did they sink so deep in the dark age of the law that it is how it works in AA verse? Breaks from reality like 13 year old prosecutors aside, that legal system is made on acid.

Debeste was a pain until he developped. Now I like him enough that I want to see him in a next game, preferably with more competence and actually doing important stuff. He could be Edgey's pupil, as Athena is. Might be fun to see them facing off in court while both mentors help each pupil.

Edited by Rapier

My favorite is Simon Blackquill as well. He's actually competent, intimidating, funny due to his quirks and despite being ruthless in the courtroom he treats his rivals with respect after they have bested him outside of the courtroom. His relationship with Athena, his backstory, his theme song and his love for birds is great. Runner ups would be Edgeworth because Edgeworth, then Klavier for being nice and competent and then Franziska because whips are funny.

At first I was surprised I was the only one voting for Simon, now he's competing with Edgeworth and Godot for the top spot. Nice. 

Poor Nayuta hasn't gotten any votes at all. While I find him dragged down by being shoved into Apollo's backstory without any subtlety I do think he has his strengths. He is reasonably baddass and is a skilled opponent in the courtroom who can at times even be funny due to how serious he is. He's particular good when going up against Blackquil. I like his prosecution theme the best too. Its very zen. 

I'm not really a fan of Franziska. I used to be since she was the first prosecutor I saw in action but once I saw more of them they just overshadowed her. Ironically a mere dominatrix is just tame compared to coffee addicted Hispanic cyborgs, A British Samurai convict or the best developed character in the series.  

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Well,two things I'd like to point out;

1- I DK why I've put Barok Van Ziekx on the pool,since not even a fan-translated versionof it was released. Maybe there aren't many Japanese people on Serenes Forest,or either he's not the overall faovurite.

2- I've finally finished DD,so I can finally point out a few more things regarding Simon! Well,he is pretty awesome,but sometimes he is kind of a jerk,epecially when talking about the "Friendship is Magic" from case 3. Well,there's still a DLC to conclude it,but from what I've heard it isn't important storywise.