What kind of husband and father would Ike be?

Anacybele

So, Ike tends to be the center of a lot of shipping wars due to the fact that he's the only lord in the series who doesn't marry during or at the end of any of his games.

But one kind of related topic that I don't see people talk about is what kind of husband and father he would be. This isn't about who he marries and has kids with, or whether he does so at all, it's how he lives that kind of life. So no shipping stuff or debating on whether Ike would marry or not. This is just a what-if kind of thing.

Marriage and kids are a big transition, as many should know, and they can actually change a person. I don't think Ike would change a lot, but I can see him doing some things differently. His biggest value is family. Nothing is more important to him, honestly. This guy would definitely put his wife and children first and protect them with his life. Any gold he earns in mercenary work would likely go to food and clothing for them before he gets any for himself (yes, even despite his huge appetite lol). And of course, he would look for the jobs that pay the most so he can ensure his family a good life. And this is probably the majority of what he would do in terms of supporting everyone, since he doesn't seem to be great at chores and such. :P

The most obvious answer to how Ike would raise his kids is that he'd do it the way Greil raised him and Mist. And I agree, he would take some pages out of his dad's book. But I don't think he'd be exactly the same. Remember how Greil was pretty distant and secretive? Ike spent a good portion of PoR trying to find out more about him and said that he felt like he didn't really know his father sometimes. You can tell this was hard on him and Mist. So I think he would avoid this part entirely and be the complete opposite. Closer and more involved with his kids. But otherwise, Ike would take a lot from Greil since he doesn't have anyone else to look to in this regard.

Depending on who Ike married, I can definitely see some of his wife's habits rubbing off on him too though. lol And that's where those changes I mentioned above come in. It can happen in a marriage. And Ike would be a total newbie at parenting and stuff, so he'd probably also follow his wife's lead sometimes, especially if she has good experience with kids.

Another little change I picture is Ike...being happier. Not much can make a person smile more brightly than having a child. And even the blunt Ike who never smiled much would get that feeling, I bet, after witnessing so much war and hardship in his life. And that's pretty much it. I've put a lot of thought here, as you can see. :P I love the idea of Ike having a family!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Honestly, he'd be that down to earth guy who attempts to be "hip" later in his kids life but then turns out to be a really good dad.

i was gonna say that i can't really see ike being a father but this is a really funny idea that I can actually kinda imagine so i'm just gonna go with this

4 minutes ago, unique said:

i was gonna say that i can't really see ike being a father but this is a really funny idea that I can actually kinda imagine so i'm just gonna go with this

Haha, it is a good one. lol

But this isn't about whether or not you can see Ike being a dad, it's about what he'd be like as one if he did become one.

I'd like to imagine Ike being a pretty good father.  Maybe harsh on his kids for good intentions, but also being that father figure they can go to whenever they have troubles.  I can imagine that he would adopt similar qualities as Greil too, as it only makes sense.  I can also imagine that at first, he wouldn't know what he's doing, but he'd get a hang of it eventually.  So his wife taking the lead role of the parents at first makes a ton of sense to me.  He'd also probably be pretty serious most of the time.

As a husband, I would say Ike would be extremely devoted to his spouse.  He would be very caring, but blunt when necessary.  It's hard to imagine Ike being anything, but a good person towards someone he cares deeply about.  

Overall, I would think that Ike would be pretty overprotective of his family, to the point that his wife would probably have to be the one to calm him down if he goes a little too far.  IwannahearsomeIkedadjokesnow

16 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

IwannahearsomeIkedadjokesnow

Ike dad jokes?

*googles dad jokes*

Ike's Kid: I was thinking...

Ike: I thought I smelled something burning.

*walking past a graveyard*

Ike: You know why I can't be buried there? 

Kid: Why?

Ike: Because I'm not dead yet.

I'm sorry I had to xD

Yeah, everything everyone else has said.

18 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

You know what I need now after this. Ike at the pta meetings 

i feel like he'd probably sit there and say nothing aside from occasionally agreeing with things

unless it was something that concerned his kids, then I feel like he'd suddenly make sure everything was going well

ike seems like the kinda guy who doesn't care about things unless they're important to him or his family or friends

I do have a bit of a hard time thinking about Ike ever getting married and having kids, as he doesn't strike me has someone who would want to settle down, at least not right away.

I think he'd be a rather decent father though, he'd be rough on his kids but for good reasons and would take good care of who ever his spouse would be. For some reason I can only imagine him settling down with a women who's just like though.

Edited by Elincia

I do think Ike would be a good enough father, but like @Elincia said, I have trouble imagining him settling down and having a family.

What I do see happening is Boyd and Mist being relatively protective parents, while Ike plays the role of the cool uncle that teaches his nephew or niece how to wield a sword without the parents finding out.

Personally, I can't see Ike with anyone, which is why I don't ship him. I mean, I honestly think he's asexual. If I had to, I don't think he'd be an affectionate lover or father—at least not in a traditional manner.

As a lover, I feel there likely wouldn't be any public shows of affection from him—probably not even around the Greil Mercenaries (or whatever people he's bonded with after Radiant Dawn). He looks like the kind of guy to substitute a kiss or a hug with a gentle head pat like his loved ones are pets or something lol. He doesn't seem like a touchy-feely, "hold-you-close" type of dude—unless his significant other is, like, dying or something. As a matter of fact, the only instance I can imagine him giving a declaration of love (which would amount to a quiet, gruff "love you, see you later") or a quick kiss (on the forehead, no lips allowed) is if he's going off on a particularly dangerous mission or if he believes something is fatally wrong with his significant other or if he's feeling snarky/humorous enough for whatever reason. He'd probably hook up with a person that can cook well. He comes off as a guy that keeps his feelings to himself, while simultaneously managing to be blunt about things.

As a dad, I feel like he'd be that dad that sort of pushes his kids to their limits—or rather, he wouldn't let them take the easy route when it comes to achieving things. He's not the type to cut corners, and he would raise his children to be the same. Again, he isn't affectionate to his kids. Seldom does he give hugs; the kids get head pats as well. Every now and again, he'd tell the kid "you did good, son/daughter" but, most of the time, the kid would have to make due with his silent looks and nods of satisfaction.

I mean, I thought too hard about this, to be honest. He just . . . doesn't seem that love-dovey. Like, he cares, but he's not . . . affectionate. I don't how else to put it.

Edited by saisymbolic
double space deletion

Yeah. I agree with what other people have said about it being difficult seeing Ike trying to settle down. If anything, I see him not really marrying until much, much later in life after reconnecting with an old friend once he's ready to lay down his sword for good. He loves the life of a warrior, but that lifestyle kind of tore his family to shreds. I doubt he'd want that for his own family, so he'd have to make sure he completely buried his past and tied up al lose ends before settling down. Besides he seems like the kid of guy that would be miserable with married life in his younger years.

There's part of me that wants to see him as this "perfect" dad. You know the one that goes to every football game and school play. His father wasn't bad, but like the OP said, Greil kept secrets, and Ike never really got to connect with his father on a real level. I'm sure Ike would want to try to do better than that, but at the same time, Ike's kind of stubborn and blunt, and those aren't qualities that lend themselves to a healthy relationship with a spouse or children.

If Ike were to settle down, I think he would be the type of spouse that doesn't necessarily communicate well. He'd put is all into his relationship with kids and a spouse, but there would definitely be some issues that stem from his personality.

5 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I mean, I thought too hard about this, to be honest. He just . . . doesn't seem that love-dovey. Like, he cares, but he's not . . . affectionate. I don't how else to put it.

I really, really like this. It just makes sense. Ike's not a Disney prince. He's a war-torn warrior that lost a LOT. It's super hard to imagine him as this tender lover. He cares but in a different way.

Most likely, he won't marry until it's rather late and he's content with exploring the world. Let's pretend he does end up marrying in his late 20s or early 30s though.

When it becomes necessary, he'd actually do his job as a father and help out his kids but that is assuming he's not currently off traveling somewhere.

On a day-to-day bases, he'd have little interest in raising his kids and leave most of the logistics of raising the kids to the wife, except when it comes to racial discrimination issues.

As for the husband aspect of it, again, he'd leave most of the logistics of the house to the wife and just work to earn money, particularly in some form of manual labor or mercenary work. He would not be a lovey-dovey husband and several years into the marriage would pay less attention to his wife until there's a real need for it, in particular when her life is at stake due to his background.

Bottom line, the dude just doesn't really seem like the type of romantic who would know what to say, how to treat the wife on a regular basis or just take real interest in the marriage until there's a need for it If he were to end up married, he most likely wouldn't have been the one doing the chasing.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Alright, I wrote a little thing once.

ike and soren adopt two branded children. one little boy and one little girl. the boy is a mage, and he's very kind, but also a bit of a "crybaby." the little girl is a myrmidon, and she's tough and strong and wants to be strong enough to protect her family. the four of them explore the worlds outside of tellius, and meet lots of interesting new people to share experiences. ike and soren are soft dads who are kind and nuturing parents, and they aren't tough, because they know their kids have been through a lot

Absent on account of having gone through the gate/portal.

However, I kind of see him as being that dad who is kind of distant and work-focused but doing his best to support the family. The kind of dad that really sucks growing up on account of not being at your ball-games and the like but, once you are grown, really rocks because he taught you all the life skills you really need and made sure you and your mother were always prepared. Of course if the mother died he would probably be a bit confused and uncertain and rely a lot on Mist to help him raise the child as opposed to figuring things out on his own.

'I fight for my friends... and my little snuggly baby waiting at home for his/her pappa to return! Want to see some portraits? I keep one or two of them and their mom with me at all time. They took their first steps just a few weeks ago and now they're starting to really get ar-Why are you surrendering on the condition I stop talking?'

...Wow did this topic ever get trashed.

I'm honestly pissed to see so much shitposting. Doesn't anyone read opening posts anymore? This thread was never about whether you think Ike would ever marry or who you ship him with.

This is also not FFtF, people. I also don't appreciate those INSISTING that Ike is gay. Not all of us believe he is and there is no confirmation that he is.

That being said, I'm requesting a lock on this. This was not meant to get filled with stupid derailing joke posts (this is not really referring to the Ike dad jokes Dcat posted, by the way).

Edited by Anacybele

Before this gets locked...

People can believe what they want and ship what they want. But let's not bash anyone who believes differently, okay?

Honestly though, you were kind of asking for this drama when you posted a topic like this

Before this topics potential lock, I want to share my opinion on it.

I honestly don't think Ike would marry. I honestly highly doubt he would ever settle down with one person as I think he is more of a nomadic guy, travelling all over you know. Also, I personally don't think Ike is straight or gay, if anything I find him to be the type of person that would just fall in love with someone regardless of who they are (For example I headcanon Ike and Elincia were together for a time after PoR but since Ike didn't want to be a king and Elincia wanted to stay as Queen of Crimea to help her people, plus the backlash they both would have received if Elincia married a commoner, they broke it off and I also ship Ike with either Soren, Ranulf or no one, depedning on my mood, based on RD's ending (But I mainly go the single route)).

However, I do feel he would adopt along his travels. I feel like he would parent in a way similar to Greil was a parent to him and Mist. They would have a pretty good relationship, even though Ike would act a bit distant and would show some tough love, however over their adventures they would bond very closely and overall it would just be really fucking cute and shit.