What kind of husband and father would Ike be?

Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

I know, but it's one thing to make someone get down and do pushups. HITTING your child is entirely another.

My mom hit me and I didn't see a problem with that

LOL Yeah you're right, hitting a child is another thing entirely. I'm really not sure if I could see Ike doing that though....
Perhaps if he's tested enough

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

LOL Yeah you're right, hitting a child is another thing entirely. I'm really not sure if I could see Ike doing that though....

Yeah, IF. As I said, I can see Ike doing the usual little spankin' on a smaller kid. But just HITTING them, like slapping them around or punching them or something. No. He cares about his family too much. He might hit a random kid if they got him mad, but I can't see him being willing to do that to his own child.

I'm also not arguing against Ike being rough to a degree though. Being kind of rough is okay as long as you're not actually hurting the child a lot.

Edited by Anacybele

You can physically discipline a child without being abusive.

And all-bets-are-off if Ike’s raising the kid to be a fighter, like Griel did with him. Literally the first thing we see in FE9 is Greil beating Ike with a stick and hitting him so hard he falls unconscious, as punishment for losing his focus during training.

Combat training aside, there’s certain behaviors that Ike would find absolutely intolerable and, if present in his child, would surely earn a disciplinary smack.

Like if Ike has a kid who’s old enough to know better. And Ike hears said kid calling a laguz a “subhuman.” Said kid is getting a smack to the head as part of the don’t do that again.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

46 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Except do we fail to remember this is set in a time where it is akin to medieval times.

Ike got hit hard enough by his father during training to knock him unconscious.

Also while it's not pretty, laguz value strength. It's naive to think that some laguz somewhere hasn't hit their child not abusively, but for discipline.

Hitting =/= abuse if there is no malicious intent or mentality.

Edited by shadowofchaos

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

A little policing, maybe. But what I was mainly upset about was the trolling, not so much the "I don't think Ike would get married" parts. And the discussion should still be on topic and answering the thread's question. I said in the OP that this isn't asking if you think Ike would get married, and pretty much all some people said was "I don't think Ike would get married." See the problem here?

I HIGHLY disagree. What makes you say Ike would be abusive like that? Sothe was a stowaway and a thief, it was reasonable for Ike to be a little rough on him. His own child wouldn't be in that situation. I can definitely see Ike grounding his kid for a number of days, but NOT hitting him or her in the way you're implying (except for maybe a little spankin' on the behind when said kid is smaller).

@Hero_Lucina Yes, but since Renning is an actual member of the royal family, he would have dibs before the retainers do.

Alright

If we're on the topic of corporal punishment, then yeah, I definitely see Ike doing that.

We have seen a parent hitting their child in Fire Emblem, back in the OVA, Cornelius slaps Marth, if I recall correctly. I don't think it's hard to imagine Ike doing the same, just probably not for the same reason Cornelius did.

Like others have said, Fire Emblem is essentially set in medieval times, I'd wager punishments were worse than spankings, and Greil seems like a father who doesn't take shit from his son, his daughter, maybe, but not his son. Ike would probably take a few pages from Greil, tbh.

54 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Hitting =/= abuse if there is no malicious intent or mentality.

Not entirely true, but I see what you mean. The reason I say not entirely is because I can punch my child in the face and break their jaw because they said something wrong to their grand mother, or I can punch my child in the face and break their jaw because I want to hurt them. Either way, I just broke my child's jaw (which is abuse) but one reason was a little more.... "valid" than the other heh

But what you say is still true though, since I can make my child do 20 push ups for something wrong or I can make them do 20 push ups because I like seeing them suffer, in which case that would be inappropriate!

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, IF. As I said, I can see Ike doing the usual little spankin' on a smaller kid. But just HITTING them, like slapping them around or punching them or something. No. He cares about his family too much. He might hit a random kid if they got him mad, but I can't see him being willing to do that to his own child.

I'm also not arguing against Ike being rough to a degree though. Being kind of rough is okay as long as you're not actually hurting the child a lot.

I'd still see Ike disciplining his child well into their teens, but yeah he's probably not going to be brutally beating anyone up :P

Aside from the bad guys

1 hour ago, shadowofchaos said:

Ike got hit hard enough by his father during training to knock him unconscious.

That was a training session with practice weapons. WAY different. Greil doing such a thing because Ike, say, snapped back at him in an argument would be way more wrong. Ike isn't also wielding a weapon and defending himself, nor is he training in that situation.

Notice how Greil didn't hit Ike after Ike foolishly ran off to rescue Mist and Rolf. He merely decided to ground everyone, so to speak.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That was a training session with practice weapons. WAY different.

Yeah, practice weapons. Greil must've used some force to knock him unconscious with a practice weapon.

Kinda the same thing really. Tbh, Greil didn't need to knock him out, but he did. Father of the year folks!

Edited by Lautsuu
Spelling error

Just now, Lautsuu said:

Yeah, practice weapons. Greil must've used some force to knock him unconscious with a practice weapon.

Kinda the same thing really. Tbh, Greil didn't need to knock him out, be he did. Father of the year folks!

Nope, not the same thing at all. They're still weapons, Ike has one as well, and it's still a training session, and Mist even points out that they're still heavy and strong. Ike was expecting to be hit and Greil was expecting to hit. This wouldn't be the case if Greil was simply disciplining him for doing something wrong. Ike shouldn't at all be expecting to get knocked to the ground out cold in that scenario.

And like I said, why didn't Greil go and hit Ike again when he disobeyed orders to go try saving Mist and Rolf later? Because it would've been wrong and it was a different situation.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nope, not the same thing at all. They're still weapons, Ike has one as well, and it's still a training session, and Mist even points out that they're still heavy and strong. Ike was expecting to be hit and Greil was expecting to hit. This wouldn't be the case if Greil was simply disciplining him for doing something wrong. Ike shouldn't at all be expecting to get knocked to the ground out cold in that scenario.

And like I said, why didn't Greil go and hit Ike again when he disobeyed orders to go try saving Mist and Rolf later? Because it would've been wrong and it was a different situation.

Really? I suppose I need to go back and watch a playthrough of PoR again, it's been a while...

The thing I like about topics like this is that you can always state one thing then be like, "but why didn't this..." There's really no solid answer...

Either way, Greil still strikes me as a guy who used corporal punishment, and I see no reason why Ike, or other lords for that matter(Eliwood, Hector, possibly Chrom) wouldn't either, as Fire Emblem is set in medieval times. What may not be classed as acceptable in our world, would probably be deemed acceptable there.

21 minutes ago, Lautsuu said:

Really? I suppose I need to go back and watch a playthrough of PoR again, it's been a while...

The thing I like about topics like this is that you can always state one thing then be like, "but why didn't this..." There's really no solid answer...

Either way, Greil still strikes me as a guy who used corporal punishment, and I see no reason why Ike, or other lords for that matter(Eliwood, Hector, possibly Chrom) wouldn't either, as Fire Emblem is set in medieval times. What may not be classed as acceptable in our world, would probably be deemed acceptable there.

Acceptable in that kind of time period doesn't mean it's in character for all of them, you know. FE isn't an EXACT mirror of our medieval ages either.

And yeah, the only punishment Greil gave Ike and the others for disobeying Titania's orders was house arrest, which is akin to being grounded. :P

But your points are only brought up at your convenience for your interpretation.

By putting Ike and husband in the title, you're already putting a premise that is already out of character from what we are given in game.

Stating that Greil disciplining his children with today's standards being in character while stating that corporal punishment is out of character when they grew up in Gallia is a little out there.

Edited by shadowofchaos

5 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

By putting Ike and husband in the title, you're already putting a premise that is already out of character from what we are given in game.

Not everybody agrees that it would be out of character for Ike to get married.

Also, why isn't this locked yet? I PMed a mod hours ago, and said mod was online at the time too.

Edited by Anacybele

Ike doesn't come across as a romantic person, I can't picture him being in a lovey-dovey relationship, but I do picture him getting along with a wife or Soren who's more like a really good friend to him. He'd probably enjoy the company, but I can't picture him as a typical knight in shining armour or a super romantic kind of guy. Whilst his interactions with Mia are limited, someone with that kind of dynamic and nature would probably suit him.

He'd probably be a fairly fun dad, since most of his parenting would be learned from Greil/Titania. Again, he'd probably get along with any kids he had fairly well, but would probably treat them in same manner he deals with Mist or Rolf.

Someone who only likes him for his sword skills would suit him best? What? Other than Ike/Soren, that's the only Ike pairing I can't stand at all...

Otherwise, makes sense.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Someone who only likes him for his sword skills would suit him best? What?

Whilst that's one aspect of my post, I'm afraid there's a fair bit more! I think Ike would probably function better in a more partnership kind of relationship rather than a romantic one. Someone he could spent time around bonking each other with training swords and then eat roast chicken with is probably more on his agenda than a candlelit dinner! I think for someone like Ike, a relationship would be more like an extension of a close friendship than anything lovey-dovey!

Just now, Shin said:

Whilst that's one aspect of my post, I'm afraid there's a fair bit more! I think Ike would probably function better in a more partnership kind of relationship rather than a romantic one. Someone he could spent time around bonking each other with training swords and then eat roast chicken with is probably more on his agenda than a candlelit dinner! I think for someone like Ike, a relationship would be more like an extension of a close friendship than anything lovey-dovey!

Okay, that's fair, but Mia doesn't strike me as that kind of person at all, nor does she even strike me as someone who would get with anyone. She's WAY too invested in swords and sparring with people and junk. She even abandons the mercenaries after RD to look for more opponents and find her so-called white-robed rival!

Originally, I was going to headcanon her getting with some unnamed dude, but later changed my mind when I saw how obsessed she was with sword skills and nothing else.

Also, speaking of food, Ike would definitely marry a woman who can cook. His appetite is crazy, he seems to be into food in general (aside from desserts) given what Soren tells Aimee about how to get Ike's attention, and he doesn't seem to have any cooking skills of his own. Nor does Mia. :P

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, why isn't this locked yet? I PMed a mod hours ago, and said mod was online at the time too.

Said mod probably realized that there are still people who might want to say their viewpoints ;)

9 minutes ago, Shin said:

Someone he could spent time around bonking each other with training swords and then eat roast chicken with is probably more on his agenda than a candlelit dinner!

He could do that with anyone though XD

heck, I'd fight with Ike and eat dinner after LOL

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Said mod probably realized that there are still people who might want to say their viewpoints ;)

Yeah, maybe.

He could do that with anyone though XD

heck, I'd fight with Ike and eat dinner after LOL

I would too! lol I'd definitely hang out with him like that!

Edited by Anacybele

I think that Ike as a father would depend quiet a bit on who his partner was.

With someone like Elincia, or Ranulf I think Ike would defiantly be the stern kind of detached, but ultimately loving parent that a lot of other people here have talked about.

But with other people, mostly Soren, or Lethe he would probably come closer to being the "fun", more open parent. As a way to compensate for Lethe's strict personality, that would almost certainly bleed into her parenting, or Soren's entire grumpy closed-off personality. 

Pfff and ether way marriage or no I think that Ike would be a fantastic dog or cat papa, and would doat like heck on his pet in that his own way. He would have the most well trained, but spoiled pet ever. 

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Not everybody agrees that it would be out of character for Ike to get married.

From canon in game as a lord of Fire Emblem, where the lords get paired endings as of FE4:

Yes, it is out of character to assume that he will, at some point get married and become a husband.

The only thing that ever challenges this is the existence of Paris, which is Ike's beta name and was only in Awakening as a reference.

The main question is, why is this so important to you that he gets married? People answered your question about what kind of father they think he is.

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And as for that last part, mods aren't your servants. You sound less like you requested it locked, and more like you expect them to immediately follow your command.

They're not here to lock your threads at your whim every time the discussion gets out of your control.

Edited by shadowofchaos

21 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

From canon in game as a lord of Fire Emblem, where the lords get paired endings as of FE4:

Yes, it is out of character to assume that he will, at some point get married and become a husband.

The only thing that ever challenges this is the existence of Paris, which is Ike's beta name and was only in Awakening as a reference.

The main question is, why is this so important to you that he gets married? People answered your question about what kind of father they think he is.

And as for that last part, mods aren't your servants. You sound less like you requested it locked, and more like you expect them to immediately follow your command.

They're not here to lock your threads at your whim every time the discussion gets out of your control.

What does FE4 have to do with anything? That's not even Ike's game.

It's not so much that it's "so important." It's that it bugs me every time I say something like "I love the idea of Ike getting married and having kids! What do you think Ike would be like in this scenario?" and then someone goes "Ike would never get married/that's out of character for him/Ike's gay/Soren's not a woman/blah blah blah"

If you don't agree with my opinion, okay, but don't go telling me my opinion is completely wrong or anything simply because you don't share it.

And that doesn't mean my request should be ignored. Also, I said HOURS. So no, I wasn't immediately expecting anything.

Edited by Anacybele

If you're talking about eclipse, she is literally not online and won't be online for about a week no matter what the site says, and does not want to be bothered with SF drama at all.

If it's another mod, then they probably have more important things to do right now. And if you really want the thread locked, report your thread directly in the OP instead of sending them PMs. They get so many PMs they don't always see new ones.

7 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

If you're talking about eclipse, she is literally not online and won't be online for about a week no matter what the site says, and does not want to be bothered with SF drama at all.

If it's another mod, then they probably have more important things to do right now. And if you really want the thread locked, report your thread directly in the OP instead of sending them PMs. They get so many PMs they don't always see new ones.

Nope, I PM'd VincentASM. He was the only one online at the time that I knew had powers on this board since he's an admin.

And it was still hours ago, not right now. I realize Vincent isn't online now, so I'm not saying he should be doing anything right this second. But I see, I'll do that if I don't get a response soon.

Edited by Anacybele