Is war cleric a bad class?

The problem with it is most default Clerics/Troubadours just don't have the strength to use anything but the Bolt Axe effectively, and their Defense is also pretty low making them rather ineffective at fighting in the front.  And the Bolt Axe requires a B in Axes, so it'll take a while before they'll even be able to use it.  There's also Troubadours losing their horse, which is always bad for staffbotting.

Truthfully I just never found it useful compared to Valkyrie or Sage, which get tomes running off their superior Magic instead.   

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

The problem with it is most default Clerics/Troubadours just don't have the strength to use anything but the Bolt Axe effectively, and their Defense is also pretty low making them rather ineffective at fighting in the front.  And the Bolt Axe requires a B in Axes, so it'll take a while before they'll even be able to use it.  There's also Troubadours losing their horse, which is always bad for staffbotting.

Truthfully I just never found it useful compared to Valkyrie or Sage, which get tomes running off their superior Magic instead.   

So it's more a matter of inconvenience rather than being A bad class?

21 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I guess you could put it that way.  It's more or less "why would I use this when I can more easily use their better magic stat to attack in this other class (and for Troubadours, keep the pony)?"

They do get Renewal though, which is nice for survival I guess.  

Edited by Glaceon Sage

1 minute ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I guess you could put it that way.  It's more or less "why would I use this when I can more easily use their better magic stat to attack in this other class (and for Troubadours, keep the pony)"?

They do get Renewal though, which is nice for survival I guess.  

It really is a shame that classes like war cleric and trickster aren't really used because other things just outclass them.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

You see this sort of thing a lot in games. A character, class, piece of equipment, ect. looks good in isolation, but does not actually synergise well enough with other things to be good.

There is also the "jack of all trades, master of none" problem. balancing hybrid classes is really hard, because you end up with something either broken or underpowered if you don't get the balancing EXACTLY right.

6 minutes ago, sirmola said:

You see this sort of thing a lot in games. A character, class, piece of equipment, ect. looks good in isolation, but does not actually synergise well enough with other things to be good.

There is also the "jack of all trades, master of none" problem. balancing hybrid classes is really hard, because you end up with something either broken or underpowered if you don't get the balancing EXACTLY right.

Yeah, I gravitate toward those type of things a lot in games. I love using Arcanine in Pokémon cause of his balanced stats, I like dreadfighter, Riki is one of my favorites to play as in XC, etc... 

I fucking love the class for the mere case of it's design. Utility-wise, I can't even see why it would be bad. It heals, and that's enough to give it some degree of important use. Regarding to actual practice, that's where it "goes wrong". Given a subject like, say, Liz. Her Str will usually be very lacking (and her Spd isn't that great, either albeit good growth). Libra performs pretty solidly in combat, and can even pull through with some investment.

tl;dr no they're pretty good

Actual subject should be on Tricksters.

Their... ok, i guess? Like, they aren't a BAD class by any means, but they just get outclassed. For strong Axe classes, Berserkers, Wyvern Lords, and Dread Fighers exist, and Sages and Troubadours are better healing classes. So there's no real point in going for War Monk/Cleric unless your Lissa got really Str blessed or something like that.

I guess I've just been hanging around to many Apotheosis pairing threads, where you need to have units in specific classes in order for them to perform best (hero, sage, wyverlord, beserker, etc...) and developed the idea that  good means it's used on Apotheosis.

3 hours ago, Soul~! said:

I fucking love the class for the mere case of it's design. Utility-wise, I can't even see why it would be bad. It heals, and that's enough to give it some degree of important use. Regarding to actual practice, that's where it "goes wrong". Given a subject like, say, Liz. Her Str will usually be very lacking (and her Spd isn't that great, either albeit good growth). Libra performs pretty solidly in combat, and can even pull through with some investment.

tl;dr no they're pretty good

Actual subject should be on Tricksters.

Tricksters are very good candidates for the Levin Sword.

This is the exact same thing I said- in reverse, pretty much. Class-wise, they have the capability of doing so, but that doesn't mean it works the same way in practice. Someone like Gaius will never really be competent to that. Then there's Anna, who actually uses it well. It's one weapon with low amount of uses, too. Almost the same could be said about the Thunder Axe, then.

War Monk/Cleric is a 40 Str cap, mixed offense-no Spd pair up. Because of braves, the magical weapons are far from relevance in terms of damage. Targeting Res isn't as good as doubling your damage output. It has staff utility, but there are very few scenarios where a combat unit uses a rescue instead of an attack (so it's kinda useful). It would have had some potential if its pair up behaved similar to bride (physical unit with mag/spd pair up) or if it was some female berserker in caps/pair counterpart that might have rivaled some females who end as hero.

1 hour ago, Soul~! said:

This is the exact same thing I said- in reverse, pretty much. Class-wise, they have the capability of doing so, but that doesn't mean it works the same way in practice. Someone like Gaius will never really be competent to that. Then there's Anna, who actually uses it well. It's one weapon with low amount of uses, too. Almost the same could be said about the Thunder Axe, then.

Well yeah, the character needs to have a competent enough magic stat in the first place to wield the Levin Sword effectively. Otherwise, the may as well go assassin. 

The class itself is not bad, but most units that can become one are.
The class requires high base starts and sort of a hybrid build in order to work. Avatar/Morgan are good in the class although they have better options (e.g. destroying the whole game with galeforce and magic) .. although being a rescue user with ridiculously high magic AND ridiculously high bulk (helswath says hi) IS nice.

There are a few children that can do nice in the class, although war monks are usually better when it comes to aftergame (easier access to axefaire, access to resistance +10 which synergies very good with the class + the obvious aggressor - also for females, brides usually outclass war clerics due to easier access to faire skills and the means to circumvent both pavise and aegis) - but as cleric is definitely NOT the best class to inherit the setup might become somewhat complicated as you will need skills from various classes in order to get a good result.

Edited by Caedes