Errata Questions on a few B08 Cards

Hi all,

Still a relatively fresh player, and for the most part I only play casual games with a couple local friends.  Most of what we have to work with are B08 series cards and a few others, but I had a few questions come up on rules/errata surrounding certain cards.  A couple easy ones and few head-scratchers.

Easy:

B08-085R - Maiden of Purifying Lightning, Tinni - Do bonds that are consumed for the "critical hit" effect need to be face up to be sent to retreat, or can face-down bonds be used as long as they're tome cards?

B08-038N - Serious Manakete, Nah - For a stone support to trigger Nah's effect it has to be a successful support, right?  So a failed support with Nah herself wouldn't trigger the effect?

And the head-scratchers:

B08-096R - Emperor of Grannvale, Arvis - For the bond skill effect, which sends an opponent's unit into their bonds, how does this work with class changed or levelled up units?  Does the top card go to the bond area or do all individual cards in the stack go into the bond area?  Just curious because this could really throw the viability/non-viability of this ability.

B08-026R - Searing Envy, Tharja - This one's confusing specifically because I'm seeing different translation on Lackey and on the wiki here concerning this card.  Lackey's translation is that the card that is selected and possibly discarded is a random selection, where the wiki translation is that the player gets to select.  Again, curious because this affects how viable the card is.

B08-079SR - The Just Master Thief, Patty - This one's got me really confused.  The third ability in the chain that Patty gets specifies that if the card in the opponent's hand is the same name as the main character, the main character is destroyed.  If your opponent still has orbs left, does that mean you would just take an orb, or does that mean that the main character is destroyed regardless of orbs?

If anyone knows any of the answers/rulings/translations or would be able to help me out on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tinni's question is a no - Face-Down Bonds are considered as having no attributes to them whatsoever, and therefore don't count as Tomes because that would be an attribute for the Bond.

Any effect on any card that requires a specific kind of Support won't trigger on a Failed Support - I had another example, but I forgot it. Either way, Nah won't trigger on a Self-Support.

Patty's skill means they take an Orb if they have any, yes.

I know I've had Arvis used against me before, but I can't remember what the ruling for that was. Let me check with the people I play with and get back to you on that one. I'll also need to go check the Tharja card and figure that out for you, but I've got work now so I can't check that yet.

Just now, SoulWeaver said:

Tinni's question is a no - Face-Down Bonds are considered as having no attributes to them whatsoever, and therefore don't count as Tomes because that would be an attribute for the Bond.

Any effect on any card that requires a specific kind of Support won't trigger on a Failed Support - I had another example, but I forgot it. Either way, Nah won't trigger on a Self-Support.

Patty's skill means they take an Orb if they have any, yes.

I know I've had Arvis used against me before, but I can't remember what the ruling for that was. Let me check with the people I play with and get back to you on that one. I'll also need to go check the Tharja card and figure that out for you, but I've got work now so I can't check that yet.

Awesome!  Thanks for the response on the first few and yeah, if you can let me know on Arvis and Tharja later that would be awesome.

7 hours ago, redshirtontherock said:

B08-085R - Maiden of Purifying Lightning, Tinni - Do bonds that are consumed for the "critical hit" effect need to be face up to be sent to retreat, or can face-down bonds be used as long as they're tome cards?

Already answered but, face-down bonds don't have attributes yeah. Only apply when face-up.

B08-038N - Serious Manakete, Nah - For a stone support to trigger Nah's effect it has to be a successful support, right?  So a failed support with Nah herself wouldn't trigger the effect?

Already answered again, but I have a decent example for this - For a skill to proc on specific supports, like Nino only activates when an ally is supported by Nino, because it's a failed support, the check doesn't go off and Nino is already in the Retreat Area by that point. Same situation with Nah.

B08-096R - Emperor of Grannvale, Arvis - For the bond skill effect, which sends an opponent's unit into their bonds, how does this work with class changed or levelled up units?  Does the top card go to the bond area or do all individual cards in the stack go into the bond area?  Just curious because this could really throw the viability/non-viability of this ability.

All the cards of the stack go into their Bond Area. This means if you target a unit who is Class Changed / Levelled up, all cards, the top card and any cards underneath are sent to the Bond Area.

B08-026R - Searing Envy, Tharja - This one's confusing specifically because I'm seeing different translation on Lackey and on the wiki here concerning this card.  Lackey's translation is that the card that is selected and possibly discarded is a random selection, where the wiki translation is that the player gets to select.  Again, curious because this affects how viable the card is.

The effect is a bit off on the Wiki - the exact effect is referring to selecting a card from the opponent's hand without looking at it, so basically revealing a random card (or making them discard a random card). The card is only discarded if the Deployment Cost is 3 or less though of course.

B08-079SR - The Just Master Thief, Patty - This one's got me really confused.  The third ability in the chain that Patty gets specifies that if the card in the opponent's hand is the same name as the main character, the main character is destroyed.  If your opponent still has orbs left, does that mean you would just take an orb, or does that mean that the main character is destroyed regardless of orbs?

When the Main Character is destroyed, they must take an orb, just like as if they were attacked and as a result of the battle were destroyed (in this case it's by a skill, so it can't be evaded). If they don't have any orbs at all when their Main Character gets destroyed, you win the game.

37 minutes ago, TheVinceKnight said:

Already answered but, face-down bonds don't have attributes yeah. Only apply when face-up.

Already answered again, but I have a decent example for this - For a skill to proc on specific supports, like Nino only activates when an ally is supported by Nino, because it's a failed support, the check doesn't go off and Nino is already in the Retreat Area by that point. Same situation with Nah.

All the cards of the stack go into their Bond Area. This means if you target a unit who is Class Changed / Levelled up, all cards, the top card and any cards underneath are sent to the Bond Area.

The effect is a bit off on the Wiki - the exact effect is referring to selecting a card from the opponent's hand without looking at it, so basically revealing a random card (or making them discard a random card). The card is only discarded if the Deployment Cost is 3 or less though of course.

When the Main Character is destroyed, they must take an orb, just like as if they were attacked and as a result of the battle were destroyed (in this case it's by a skill, so it can't be evaded). If they don't have any orbs at all when their Main Character gets destroyed, you win the game.

Thanks for the responses and the info, that helps a ton! (And woah, using that two-bond Arvis ability could seriously backfire. XD)

Also, apology for getting super specific with the question on Tharja, but if I know some of the cards in an opponent's hand from previously having revealed them, would I be able to pick them out from memory or identify them by name, or would the discard have to be just randomized via dice or something of the sort?

10 hours ago, redshirtontherock said:

Thanks for the responses and the info, that helps a ton! (And woah, using that two-bond Arvis ability could seriously backfire. XD)

Also, apology for getting super specific with the question on Tharja, but if I know some of the cards in an opponent's hand from previously having revealed them, would I be able to pick them out from memory or identify them by name, or would the discard have to be just randomized via dice or something of the sort?

Even if you know some of them, you would have to pick randomly again if you used Tharja. The only randomized hand picks are Tharja and Leo, and you have to do the same for both (pick without looking).

22 minutes ago, TheVinceKnight said:

Even if you know some of them, you would have to pick randomly again if you used Tharja. The only randomized hand picks are Tharja and Leo, and you have to do the same for both (pick without looking).

Okay, that's awesome to know and clears a ton of stuff up for me.  Thanks for all the feedback on this!