When I played Awakening

Reffy

I didn't knew there was a community this large about Fire Emblem. It's nice to see so many people around here.
I bought a 3DS just for Awakening, because a lot of people said it was really good. I also played many of the previous games, so I can't go wrong here.
This is partially a review and partially my thoughts when playing.

When I first started the game I had to create...me. I immediately thought about the Fire Emblem with Lynn, where you also have an avatar, though he was mostly in the background. I thought this was the same, but now you can see his/her face. But then I saw my avatar on the battlefield. Ok, so I can fight along side the characters. That's actually really cool. But what about this class, the "tactician"? It looks alright, but not really my playstyle. I actually like swords and healing (staves) in fire emblem. But they never mixed those two in a single class. Then I saw the trickster. It's exactly like I wanted. You can reclass the avatar to anything you like. Still a bit annoyed at gender locked classes (yeah, I played Fates too), and lack of classes actually. Where's the fast spear user i.e.? But hey, what I got was good.

After playing for a while, I noticed that there was a wireless feature, where you can fight against characters from other FE games. Ok, that's fun to try out. What is this recruit button? When I found out that you can recruit all those characters, I was a bit overwhelmed (in a good way). I recruited so many characters that I stopped using the ones from Awakening, except Chrom and the avatar. So, maybe this feature was too good. (At least it didn't require amiibo's)

So I now have a cool army + Chrom (that was a joke), and I've defeated Gangrel (what kind of name is that?). Chrom is marrying Sully...wait, there's marriage in this game? Is that what the "S" in support means? My avatar has a lot of options I see. Now who would I marry? There's Tharja. I always like the ancient egypt-like characters. There's Aversa. I have a thing for villians (maybe I have problems). Or should I go for time traveling, cross-dressing, zombie slaying, snake-in-the-eye princess? Which sounds more interesting? Actually, for me it's the dark blue hair. I don't know why that works for me, but it does. I had the same thing with Dawn from Pokemon, or Naoto from Persona 4. The fact that these are all "kids" is purely a coincidence...is what I told people...in court. (That was also a joke, please-don't-ban-me).

At some point Lucina is obviously suspicious of the avatar, when it turns out that Grima looks exactly like him. In that timeline he was the backstabber that attacked Chrom. So when Lucina said something like: "Desperate times call for desperate measures." I knew she was trying to kill me. That, or I'm paranoid. This whole scene was a real tearjerker for me. I never cared about any character in FE ever. But with the avatar I don't have a feel of disconnect. There was an option if you would let Lucina kill you. I would gladly give my life for her, Chrom or most of the characters here.

The one thing I haven't mentioned are the children. I do like Morrigan, she had Aether (and blue hair...) But the other children, it was a bit annoying to look at a wiki who get's which child. Then I had to grind so many characters support relations, pair up people so that the children have their default hair color, to get even more characters. Was a bit of a hassle, so I didn't bother much with it in other playthroughs.

So yeah, Awakening is my favorite FE. The Sacred Stones a close second. If they remake the Sacred Stones with avatar support...no words. :)
FE Fates improved on some mechanics, but there was too much focus on the avatar. Which I didn't like. Even though the game had Oboro, who also has blue hair...please help.