[FE11] Where Killing Off Units Isn't Bad

StrykerZ

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Bantu who shall most definitely remain in his village and Beck who will most probably remain in his village, also for some reason I had it in my head that Barst had Dracoknight as a class option which is why I picked him over Ogma and it dawned on me about 30 minutes ago that fighter and mercenary are in the same class set :facepalm:, I think I was getting confused by FE12.

Snake order (the order most drafts go by) goes (assuming 5 players): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, repeat. That's why you (1st) and Sturm (5th) get two picks, and also why the order is in reverse sometimes. 

Since most of the picks at this point are pretty inconsequential, I just decided to get started

Chapter 1: 10/10

This map. Where do I even begin. 

Jeigan, Caeda, and Marth kill some of the starting pirates, but most of them get baited by the unarmed meatshields. They pause near the halfway point to deal with the pirates near the boss, while Draug, the last surviving meatshield, continues to distract the pirates while on a fort. The boss is the icing on the cake, 2HKOing everyone and not going down by conventional means. After visiting the Wrys village, Marth, with his HP intact, gets a Rapier critical on EP while just surviving the counter. Jeigen Silver Lance and Caeda Wing Spear are exactly enough to take him down, and Marth seizes. Wrys and Draug are the only undrafted units to survive the chapter. Marth got both villages.

Chapter 2: 6/16

Another challenge, but made much simpler thanks to Ogma and Cord joining the team. Ogma, Caeda, and Marth team up on the pirate near the starting point for the kill, while Jeigan positions himself to bait the other pirate. Barst holds up the northern group with his meatshield abilities, and most others position to give up their lives as well. The next group consists of a pirate and two cavaliers. Wrys baits down the pirate, while Caeda kills the two cavaliers with the Wing Spear, surviving the EP with 1 HP. The rest of the pirates are dealt with a combination of meatshields, Ogma, and Jeigan. The boss this time has a weak Hand Axe, and thanks to an HP level from earlier, Jeigan manages to just survive two hits and 3HKO back with the Silver Lance, so he does just that over the course of two turns. In the end, Bord was the last remaining meatshield alive. Marth also grabbed the village. Both Castor and Darros were recruited over the course of the chapter, but they were quickly sacrificed along with the others.

Chapter 3: 10/26

Despite the relative lack of enemies, this chapter also proved to be tough. I need Lena to survive for the Matthis recruitment, and bodybagging Julian would be a waste, so Caeda goes and stalls Navarre's group for a while. This leaves me even more lacking in combat than I already am, but the combination of Marth, Ogma, Jeigan, Cord, and Bord's meatshielding proves to be just enough resources to take down the first three Fighters. The Hunters are much easier to deal with, thankfully. Caeda starts running away from Navarre's group, as to let him get closer to Ogma so he can trade over the Killing Edge. The two fighters near the boss are dealt with contributions from Jeigan, Caeda, and Ogma. I end up sacrificing Bord to Navarre to ensure that he doesn't get too close. By Turn 10, everything was in place. Caeda recruits Navarre, who trades his Killing Edge to Ogma. Ogma crits Hyman, and Jeigan breaks his Silver Lance to finish him off. Marth seizes, with Navarre, Lena, and Julian as meatshields. 

Thank goodness Battle Preparations are here :^]

Unit   Class       Level   HP Str Mag Skl Spd Luk Def Res Weapon Level
Marth  Lord        2.82    19 05  00  04  08  08  07  00  D Swords
Caeda  Peg. Knight 5.43    17 04  01  08  15  11  07  06  D Lances
Jeigan Paladin     xx/3.09 23 07  01  11  08  02  09  06  D Swords B Lances
Ogma   Mercenary   5.85    23 06  00  12  12  03  06  00  C Swords
Cord   Fighter     3.30    21 08  00  05  10  05  05  00  E Axes

+ 3 Meatshields

Edited by Kebe

4 hours ago, Kebe said:

"You may not use loaner units."

Does this mean that we can't use them as meatshields either?

That would be correct, loaner units may not be used at all period.

ok so far i have chapter 1 done.

Chapter 1 14/14

Probably could complete this in 12 turns by actually sacrificing my meatshields but from my experience on chapter 3 in h5 mode has made me believe ill need all the spare meat shields i can get. For the most part draug and gordin do bait chip along with the meat shields. draug is a good meat shield on this level due to only taking 2 or 3 damage from most units and not getting doubled. recruited wrys for more meat shields and had gordin and draug chip the pirate after jagen counter attacked and killed him with jagen as marths hp was too low to not die if he got hit. could probably figure out how to rig a crit that seems like a lot of work. 

Ill probably see if i can get a lower turn count after chapter 3 so i know about how many meat shield ill need to comfortably leave the sooth sires on the right alone since i didnt draft navarre.

I'll take Ymir as my last pick so that leaves Arran and Lorenz banned, good luck guys. When you say that loan units are banned from even meat-shielding, don't they count for the purposes of accessing the gaiden chapters so you need to kill some off sometimes, or am I getting confused?

Loan units appear to fill up to the maximum amount of deployment slots for a chapter. Thus, the only case in which killing loan units would be needed to access a gaiden would be if someone entered a chapter with no more meatshields and the chapter had 16 or more deployment slots (including Marth). 

As it turns out, Chapter 15 has 16 deployment slots (21 and 22 do as well, but 24x has different requirements). I don't really know the probability of someone running out of meatshields by the time they reach this chapter, but if it were to happen, there would be no way to get 17x/20x. For now, I guess we'll just roll with it and, if someone encounters this problem, it's dealt with then. 

Edited by Kebe

Yeah what Kebe said is pretty much what I was talking about, I'd say just allow people to sacrifice the minimum amount of loan units necessary to access the gaiden. Also I'll start this soon, going to finish part 2 of Radiant Dawn first only Geoffrey's and Elincia's maps to do so I'll maybe start tomorrow if I have time.

Chapter 4: 7/33

Jeigan goes Dracoknight, while Cord goes Hunter. The relative lack of units eases the difficulty of this chapter. Caeda and Jeigan weaken the cavalier squad on Turn 2 EP, and the rest of the gang follows up, leaving only Matthis. Lena recruits Matthis, and Merric, the newest meatshield, quickly sacrifices himself so that the Horsemen come closer to the group. They are surrounded, and the kills are fed to Ogma and Cord, respectively. Caeda, with some assistance from Marth, Wing Spears the boss. 

Chapter 5: 4/37

Matthis goes Mage for some chipping utility. Caeda and Jeigan kill some cavs with Wing Spear/Ridersbane, and the rest of the group finishes off a final remaining cavalier. Wolf and Vyland grab the rest of the Wolfguard's weapons in preparation for the slaughter to come. Cord and Matthis continue to hunt down Wendell's group, while Roshea and Sedgar end up dying to ensure Marth's safe delivery to the throne. Jeigan and Caeda team up on the boss for the boss kill, and Julian goes and grabs some Javelins at the armory.

Chapter 6: 10/47 

Matthis and Vyland both have the spiritual revelation that they suck as combat units, so they both join the clergy and become Curates. Jeigan goes Paladin since Archers and Mages are scary. Finally, Wolf goes Hero to start on his Axe rank. I enter this chapter with 17 units. Ceada, Jeigan, Ogma, and Wolf blaze through the beginning of the chapter, with Vyland following them with powerful 8 HP Heals. Cord goes to that one spot to train his Bow rank on the archer in the throne room, with Matthis making sure he doesn't die. Navarre and Hardin both end up sacrificing themselves while holding the really prominent chokepoint in the first hallway, leaving me at 15 units. I end up grabbing all the loot outside of the Killing Edge (lol) and the gold thanks to the power of enemy Thieves. After spending a few extra turns dealing with the throne room enemies, Armorslayer Ogma + Wing Spear gives Caeda another bosskill. Cord ends up getting D Bows. I end up grabbing that one Cavalier's Master Key, and to 6x we go.

Unit    Class       Level   HP Str Mag Skl Spd Luk Def Res Weapon Level
Marth   Lord        3.63    20 06  00  05  08  08  07  00  D Swords
Caeda   Peg. Knight 9.76    19 06  01  10  19  14  08  06  C Lances
Jeigan  Paladin     xx/4.40 24 08  01  12  08  03  09  06  D Swords A Lances
Ogma    Mercenary   9.03    27 07  00  13  13  04  08  00  C Swords
Cord    Hunter      6.82    21 10  00  08  09  06  06  00  D Bows
Matthis Curate      3.69    18 00  01  01  04  01  03  06  E Staves
Wolf    Hero        xx/3.68 24 06  00  10  12  05  07  01  D Swords E Axes
Vyland  Curate      2.46    18 00  01  02  05  02  03  07  E Staves

+ 1 Meatshield

Chapter 6x: free (20)/47

Jeigan goes Bishop to work on his Staff rank, Vyland goes Myrmidon. Marth got C Swords, Ogma got B Swords, Matthis got D Staves, Vyland got D Swords, and Wolf got D Axes. Also got Athena because why not. 

Chapter 7: 7/54

Jeigan goes Dracoknight, Vyland goes Cavalier. Wolf, Jeigan, Caeda, Ogma, and Cord go down to meet the flyers, and dispatch them easily enough. The enemy Cavalier reinforcements are relatively weak (or my units are getting stronger). Thus, Marth, Ogma, Caeda, Jeigan, and Wolf all manage to brute force their way through, while Cord went back up to have fun with the Whitewings. Some combination of attacks from Ogma, Jeigan, and Wolf allow Caeda to take down the boss with one Wing Spear use, and Marth seizes. Caeda gets B Lances. 

Chapter 8: 5/59

Jeigan goes Paladin. I have just enough offense between my main units for Marth to just walk his way to the throne. Recruiting Rodger ends up being a lot easier than killing him. After killing the initial group of Knights, Cavaliers, and Archers, Jeigan, Caeda, and Marth go to the boss while Cord baits down the Horsemen for their EXP. Silver Lance + 2 Wing Spear uses kills the boss, since he's too much of a chump to OHKO Caeda. Made sure to buy the extra Wing Spear and Rapier, among other things. Also got Radd, which is cool.

Chapter 9: 5/64

Radd goes Cavalier for movement, while Wolf goes Berserker for water movement/boss cheesing. The main isles are pretty crowded with powerful enemies, so Wolf baits some of the pirates away, while the rest of the gang follows Marth. Jeigan, Caeda, and Ogma deal with a Mage, Hunter, and Pirate well enough, while the Cavaliers go for the chests. Wolf walks over the water on his way towards the boss. Wolf crits the boss with the Devil Axe, since there's no other quick way for me to kill him, and Marth seizes. Cord got C Rank Bows. Thrones costing 1 extra movement ensures that the 4 turn is impossible :^[

Chapter 10: 8/72

Jeigan goes Dracoknight, Wolf goes Hero. Caeda uses the Seraph Robe. Marth walks as quickly as his 7 movement will let him, while Jeigan, Wolf, Ogma, and Cord lead the charge. Caeda takes a detour to claim her Master Seal via killing a Hero who drops one. She ends up killing Minerva in the process too I guess. The flyers were tough, but big chip damage eventually takes them down. After they were killed, Wolf, Marth, and Caeda go to the throne, while Cord has fun killing Archers through a wall and Jeigan gets the Physic chest. Wolf does the necessary chip for Caeda to grab another bosskill, getting him to C Rank Axes. Matthis also ended up getting C Rank Staves in the middle of the chapter, just in time to help Caeda out with Physic. 

Chapter 11: 9/81

Caeda promotes, breaking the game in the process. She heads out to fight the Mercenary group while most others clear the way for Marth. Cord and Matthis chill near the starting point so they can bait the Pegasus Knights and ballista shots, allowing Matthis to get more Staff EXP in the process. Ended up recruiting Jake. First non-gaiden map that ended up being routed. 

Unit    Class       Level   HP Str Mag Skl Spd Luk Def Res Weapon Level
Marth   Lord        6.12    22 09  00  06  09  10  07  00  C Swords
Caeda   Dracoknight 15/1.97 33 12  00  14  20  19  13  03  A Lances E Axes
Jeigan  Dracoknight xx/8.28 23 10  01  14  09  04  11  04  A Lances E Axes
Ogma    Mercenary   14.36   32 11  00  14  14  08  08  00  B Swords
Cord    Hunter      12.93   23 11  00  09  15  09  07  00  C Bows
Matthis Curate      11.16   24 01  03  04  05  03  04  10  C Staves
Wolf    Hero        xx/7.92 32 10  00  14  15  08  10  01  C Axes D Swords
Vyland  Cavalier    5.49    22 06  00  03  08  03  07  01  D Swords D Lances
Radd    Cavalier    1.80    20 06  00  01  05  01  09  00  D Swords E Lances

+ 5 Meatshields

Upon further analysis, it appears that killing off meatshields is not necessarily a guaranteed way to get to the gaidens. For example, I have 9 drafted units currently, and, with the additions of Midia, Boah, and Macellan for Chapter 12, I will have 12 drafted units. Considering I got 6 loan units from Chapter 4, even if I kill all my meatshields, I cannot go to Chapter 12x with 18 units. There was no real way for me to prevent this, either. I would need to kill off 3 loan units to go to the gaiden, so I hope that's ok.   

Chapter 1: Marth Embarks.

Turns - 6/6

The key to these early maps in my opinion is working out the enemies aggro ranges so you can pull just enough to advance but not get overwhelmed, I decided to take a gamble and not get the 10,000g village so Marth could advance with the rest of the crew, I feel like without forging it won't be too much of a hindrance, will have to wait and see though. Silver Lance!Jagen puts the Pirates just in range to be killed by Marth/Cain so he went to the fort and countered two which were taken out by Marth and Cain next turn. Then he advanced slightly so he could reach the southern Fort on turn 3 countering another two Pirates in the process one of which was finished by Cain. Marth had to use his full move though so he could reach the village by turn 5, fortunately Gordin the first of many sacrifices was there to distract the Pirates until the others got out of range. Shiida played a very important role here as she flew above the castle in order to pull some of the Pirates near the Gate away to the North, which with the help of Abel blocking the east side next to the mountains meant that the space directly south of the Gate was out of enemy range on turn 5, therefore Jagen could get two Silver Lance hits on the Boss on turn 5EP/6PP for Cain to get the kill. Wrys' two heals were also super clutch leaving Jagen with just 1HP at the end, honestly if he does nothing else for the rest of the run I won't even care.

@Kebe how did you make the table of unit's stats?

Edited by Sturm

code.png.5a0b118d819faf58b65a389cb2dfbe86.png

Just click the Code button (circled), and type in the table. I would recommend a format similar to mine.

Also yeah Wrys is low-key a really good pick, definitely helps out in Chapter 1 specifically. 

Chapter 2: The Pirates of Galder.

Turns - 5/11

I knew Barst was a good unit but I had forgotten just how good he is, he's like the second coming of Jagen at least in terms of damage and doesn't have to rely on the limited Silver Lance either. His lowish defence is also a blessing in disguise as enemies tend to favour attacking him resulting in high damage enemy phase counters that Cain/Marth can pick off. The general strategy's the same as usual for these early maps, Jagen goes ahead Silver Lance in hand and weakens the two Pirates near the Start on PP/EP, who are then taken out by Barst and Cain respectively, while Marth gets into position for Darros to recruit himself. Ogma full moves west which has the result of pulling Castor and one Pirate but not their nearby allies. The next turn Ogma moves to pull one of the Cavaliers onto the southern bridge who is then trapped on there by Abel while the other is forced to attack Jagen who takes him out with two Silver Lances. The Pirate and Castor attack Barst and are then dispatched by Cain and recruited by Shiida respectively. Castor immediately joins his bow wielding comrade Gordin in the grave in order to allow the others a clear run to the Boss who is taken care of by a combination of Silver Lance!Jagen, Iron Axe!Barst and Steel Sword!Cain for Marth to seize the gate. Wrys' contributions though not so obvious as in the first map did mean that I didn't need to use the Vulnerary at all which could be a big help in the next map. I also made sure to save everyone bar Castor in order to have lots of units to sacrifice if it's needed.

It's hard to say how many turns Wrys saved in Chapter 1 but I would guess more like 4 at least, the only reason the six turn strategy worked was that Shiida bought just enough space for Jagen to take on the Boss without the other units killing him, so even if he had only needed one turn on the Fort to have enough HP to take a hit from Gazzak the whole strategy would have fallen apart and a much more cautious approach would have been needed, basically the whole strategy hinged on Wrys' heal on Jagen.