Cipher DLC thoughts

Got the Cipher DLC. Not bad, but it's a bit underwhelming.

• This wave of DLC comes rather late. They also didn't release any extra gifts from Mila. I wasn't really expecting anything, but I'd love to see infinite pitchforks to make up for those horrible level ups.
  • The map BGM is great. Actually, all of FE15's music is great.
  • Yuzu is a... priestess? I guess it suits her, since it gives her magic while still retaining the ability to use swords.
  • I have to hit Shade without killing her? How to do that if Yuzu refuses to fight her? What if I have previously made everyone overpowered!? In my case, I managed to find someone outside of my usual team, but I wonder what a player with nothing but overpowered units can do. I guess the player can recruit Emma and Randal first, but what if the player makes those two overpowered as well? I guess I'm overthinking it…
  • The maps are not unique. I'm disappointed.
  • On the overall DLC, I'm glad that they didn't copy the same pattern as Awakening and Fates, but it feels much shorter this time. With the earlier games, the DLC seem to have dragged for longer, but this time, it's all over in just two months. Even shorter if you don't count the Cipher DLC.

I think Yuzu is a Priestess since it's the only on-foot physical female class : P

You can use Subdue to lower Shade's HP.

Anyway, personally, I felt like this DLC was supposed to be Fates, but they dropped it at the last minute due to backlash or whatever.

Yuzu is a Priestess because it's the only Female Sword-using Class and they were too lazy to throw together a female Swordmaster or Dread Fighter for her.

You can get Subdue from the Royal Sword or either the Rapier or Zweihander, don't remember which. Subdue is guaranteed to leave the opponent with at least one HP. Try not to use Alm/Celica for it unless you have Emma and/or RandalLando on your team, though, as you need to talk to her with one of those two or Alm/Celica to end the map.

Considering that Emma and Yuzu are Hoshidan and Shade hails from Nohr, I think this would've been better in Fates as well, but as long as we actually got them I'm happy.

If they release it in the timeframe of Fates, we'd end up with only Emma and Shade.

41 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Anyway, personally, I felt like this DLC was supposed to be Fates, but they dropped it at the last minute due to backlash or whatever.

…Or do you mean a Fates-themed DLC in Echoes? That wouldn't be bad, actually. Besides having a bunch of fans complaining how they're pandering to Fates and wouldn't let it die off. But I guess most players don't mind.

And now I wonder what's the relation between Archanea/Valentia and Hoshido/Nohr. Are they supposed to be in the same time period? Both worlds predate Awakening, but we don't know how far in the past is Fates in, and we don't even know if they're physically in the same realm. Are the Cipher characters time travellers? (They do mention they travel across continents.)

And thanks for the tip on Subdue. I've completely forgotten about its existence here. And now I remember forgetting to remove Elincia's Mercy when I played Radiant Dawn, ultimately leading to a reset because having less enemies not dead is generally more desirable.

16 minutes ago, nocturnal YL said:

If they release it in the timeframe of Fates, we'd end up with only Emma and Shade.

…Or do you mean a Fates-themed DLC in Echoes? That wouldn't be bad, actually. Besides having a bunch of fans complaining how they're pandering to Fates and wouldn't let it die off. But I guess most players don't mind.

And now I wonder what's the relation between Archanea/Valentia and Hoshido/Nohr. Are they supposed to be in the same time period? Both worlds predate Awakening, but we don't know how far in the past is Fates in, and we don't even know if they're physically in the same realm. Are the Cipher characters time travellers? (They do mention they travel across continents.)

And thanks for the tip on Subdue. I've completely forgotten about its existence here. And now I remember forgetting to remove Elincia's Mercy when I played Radiant Dawn, ultimately leading to a reset because having less enemies not dead is generally more desirable.

They across worlds and time, yeah. They have cards in Tellius sets, Elibe sets (both fe6 & 7), and will probably have Magvel.  Within the FE1/2/3 specifically, they probably have physically traveled from Archanea to Valentia (Randal specifically mentions this in his Emma support and doesn't mention Hoshidian Sky Knights letting men ride pegasuses), but they don't mention other places

Also the DLC felt shorter probably because they released them in related chunks rather than one (or two) maps at a time. And how 10 pieces of DLC were mapless overclasses....

51 minutes ago, nocturnal YL said:

I think Vincent meant that the Cipher DLC was supposed to be in Fates but was later cancelled for who knows what reasons. If you think about it, the Fates DLC schedule was weird and felt uncomplete overall (unreleased skills, etc.). Not to mention that the last scramble maps with additional convos remained unreleased in the west, so I believe they decide not to invest too much on the game anymore at some point (maybe to focus on multiple future releases that were announced back in January in FE Direct but, again, who knows).

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Yuzu is a Priestess because it's the only Female Sword-using Class and they were too lazy to throw together a female Swordmaster or Dread Fighter for her.

You can get Subdue from the Royal Sword or either the Rapier or Zweihander, don't remember which. Subdue is guaranteed to leave the opponent with at least one HP. Try not to use Alm/Celica for it unless you have Emma and/or RandalLando on your team, though, as you need to talk to her with one of those two or Alm/Celica to end the map.

Considering that Emma and Yuzu are Hoshidan and Shade hails from Nohr, I think this would've been better in Fates as well, but as long as we actually got them I'm happy.

Has anyone tried femmercs

• 6 years later...

I have a question about Randal and Emma. I accidentally denied their recruitment the first time and now am trying to find out where to then recruit them. I am playing on Citra. Does anyone happen to know where they are?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 7:09 AM, Phantom Agent 7 said:

I have a question about Randal and Emma. I accidentally denied their recruitment the first time and now am trying to find out where to then recruit them. I am playing on Citra. Does anyone happen to know where they are?

I accidently did the same thing on 3ds back when the game released, I'm pretty sure you just have to replay the map in order for them to ask again.