What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Peri Camilla, and Tharja are some of my favorite character from the series.

I am okay with Fire Emblem Warriors having mostly characters from the newer games.

The more "realistic" a character is, the less I find them interesting.

The magic triangle is too much of a niche to actually use, other than in Heroes

Edited by Jingle Jangle

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Not speaking for myself here, but some people can't stand her or Est archetypes as there is a small chance of being RNG screwed and they don't see slightly above average stats as worth the time and effort. If I remember correctly, my Est was not nearly as good as my Catria. Then again, Catria was already good and Est was still behind somewhat by the end.

Oh yeah. I used Catria too as she compared to the other two was reliable on my playthrough but that's only because I didn't do enough grinding else though I might wonder just how she would spar in the final map. 

But considering that many of your units save for the mages will have low res growth, she tops them off in that stat and she can be quite useful as a tank if you want to beat out Jedah which is where she can really help out. Sure, she starts weak but her pace in gaiden isn't anywhere as horrid as her earlier times.

Now for my unpopular opinion. Of all the three lords in FE7, Lyn will always be my favourite.

I'm going to have to accept this with a grain of salt and say that yes..she's nearly irrelevant to the rest of the plot. But She's there as a friend, she's there as a lord and she's certainly there as a unit to me. If she were to just not appear in the main plot, it would just make me mad and it wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever gameplay wise.

Lyn is the one who suffered the most losing her parents at a young age, being all alone training herself to have her vengeance and having to go through pausing moments when talking with Wallace.Sure, you can argue the same logic with Eliwood and Hector but they didn't go through a whole lot like how Lyn did as they don't really have that much of drama to go through unlike Lyn.

On top of all this, Lyn can be easily trained compared to the other two lords so all the more reason to simply use Lyn hard mode.

As a unit...yeah she won't get crit bonus, but her using bows makes up for that. She starts of weak but its worth training her. Her sol katti is heavy but that animation is too sexy to ignore. Even if she's not a gem in your playthrough, she comes with a free one in hand.

Now its not that I don't like Hector and Eliwood that much as I like all the lords here. The other two are awesome for their own reasons but to me, Its lyn imo.

Many seem to think that had Roy been promoted earlier, the game would be much more tolerable....but imo, I don't think that alone can fix FE6 since there are still many...many problems that the game has.

Giving axes, lances and bows the same accuracy as in other parts, allowing Roy to promote earlier and giving late joining units like Sophia higher bases to survive are the main needed improvements. 
The main issue FE6 has is that lots of classes are disqualified due to the OPness of swords.
Physical range weapons excluding bows have almost no practical use aside of earlygame maybe.

I'll just focus on one for now: I don't understand why people claim Est is a cheater. I get why people criticize her for how much she gets kidnapped, I'll give that, but her FE Mystery ending? I easily interpreted that Est felt grief for what happened to Abel (or felt super guilty about how she easily get kidnapped and worries her loved ones), likely told him he deserves better than her, and then it escalated into an argument that had Est run off in sadness, with Abel chasing after her to try to calm her down. It's more akin to her personality than randomly deciding to cheat out of nowhere, literally immature (fitting for a 16 year old) as she may be.

8 hours ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

Giving axes, lances and bows the same accuracy as in other parts, allowing Roy to promote earlier and giving late joining units like Sophia higher bases to survive are the main needed improvements. 
The main issue FE6 has is that lots of classes are disqualified due to the OPness of swords.
Physical range weapons excluding bows have almost no practical use aside of earlygame maybe.

Bolded part is highly exaggerated, though. Both axes and lances are better than the equivalent swords when they grant weapon triangle advantage, since they offer much more damage, as well as more avoid and defense, with not significant loss in accuracy. Heck, the Killer Axe (65 hit) is even slightly more accurate against lance wielders than the Killing Edge (80 hit) and is quite a bit stronger (11 vs 9 Mt, which becomes 12 vs. 8 because weapon triangle). Same with the Killer Lance (10 Mt, 75 hit) against both swords and lances, although the difference isn't as large.

I would agree that swords are still the best weapons in FE6 since they're still reasonably accurate when they don't have WTD, but I guess I can call "Lances and especially axes in Binding Blade are a lot better than people claim" an unpopular FE opinion of mine.

Sure, the damage is higher for axes and lances when they have weapon advantage.
On the other hand axe users tend to have less skill than Rutger, Dieck etc. Combined with the -5% accuracy for having weapon triangle advantage you'll have easily 10% or more hitrate nerf.
Also halberd's and hammer's accuracy are absolutely garbage in this game. Hero Dieck is like the only one who might have >70% hitrate with weapon advantage.

As for lances they have only advantage against the classes with highest evasion and the weapon type with the highest hitrate.
I have to admit the horseslayer with its 75% hitrate is really good though. 
This brings me up the question why it has +20% more hitrate than the halberd...

Honestly weapon triangle is irrevelant for most part of the game.
It only matters if you fight an opponent who has an accurate effective weapon like armorslayer or horseslayer.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

The problem I've found with the weapon triangle is that it's invariably either too pronounced or completely negligible. I've yet to find a WT that's actually decently balanced without either being in clear favor of one specific type - usually Swords(on the player's Units) because so many enemies end up having Axes, particularly early-game, and consequently Lances(on enemies) due to the generally Sword-heavy Unit spread of the player's Units - or else just completely ignorable because the bonuses aren't noticeable enough to make any impact.

8 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

...so apparently Taguel are Laguz is an unpopular Fire Emblem opinion...

That's my unpopular fire emblem opinion. Taguel are Laguz.

That's technically a theory, not an opinion. Opinions are liking or disliking stuff. :P

This is very recent, but I'm starting to think that the Famicom and Super Famicom Fire Emblem games (1-5) especially Mystery of Emblem,  Have had long lasting damaging effects on the SRPG sub-genre as a whole. Especially when you consider that the West had things like Rebelstar (1984) and Pool of Radiance (1988) Before FE1 (1990) came out. The first 4 of these games also mishandle level ups. In the first game, marth (and anyone else for that matter) will become pretty much an untouchable god cabable of soloing even with highmanning experience (awakening is not even as broken). FE2 's use of levels is pretty much sinful throughout, although it's influence on the genre is minor. The third game can keep up a veneer of playability for longer, but by the time you get halfway through the player curve makes a big jump ahead of the enemy level curve (even with the capped stats) additionally it's enemy placement level design is almost directly felt as far forward as 2004 with only minor innovations . I'm talking here of Front mission, early Disgaea, and Shining Force, among others, not just FE 6-9. 

*I know Rebelstar, Pool of Radiance, X-com, etc aren't strictly SRPGs, but I digress... if Strategy is going to be in in the title of (S)RPGs, then the enemy options should expand beyond basic levels and movement control should not be limited to physical units and wall tiles, nevermind Phase versus Turn based gameplay, 

Edward is the best DB member gameplaywise in hard mode because he's the only first tier unit who will double consantly and ORKO several enemies with his high strength growth and strength support with either Leo or Micky. And he's better than Jill in part 1 at least if you play without transfer boosts.
(DB = Micaiah, Sothe, Edward, Leonardo, Nolan, Laura, Aran, Meg, Fiona)

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

From a gameplay standpoint, Rutger is a better swordsmaster than Ryoma is. Sure, Ryoma may be a stronger unit, but is he going make any fricking difference when he's in a game that is as easy as Awakening or Sacred Stones? Rutger, on the other hand, is in a game that is not much easier than Conquest (and I say the former have even more difficult gameplay aspects than the latter), and thus is a better example of a welcome relief.

Edited by henrymidfields

27 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

From a gameplay standpoint, Rutger is a better swordsmaster than Ryoma is. Sure, Ryoma may be a stronger unit, but is he going make any fricking difference when he's in a game that is as easy as Awakening or Sacred Stones? Rutger, on the other hand, is in a game that is not much easier than Conquest (and I say the former have even more difficult gameplay aspects than the latter), and thus is a better example of a welcome relief.

Is that really that unpopular? Most people, from what I've seen, seem to agree that Rutger damn near breaks FE6. Far and away one of the strongest units in the game, up there with the likes of Miredy, who is not only a statistical beast, but is also a flying mount unit. For a foot unit like Rutger to be able to be in the same realm as her in a Horse Emblem game like FE6 means he is incredibly strong.

While Ryoma is just a head above most other units in Fates, who are nearly all superunits themselves. His biggest claim to fame, dodgetanking, doesn't even seem like a unanimous strength for him among people who have talked about him

Edited by Slumber

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Is that really that unpopular? Most people, from what I've seen, seem to agree that Rutger damn near breaks FE6. Far and away one of the strongest units in the game, up there with the likes of Miredy, who is not only a statistical beast, but is also mounted. For a foot unit like Rutger to be able to be in the same realm as her in a Horse Emblem game like FE6 means he is incredibly strong.

While Ryoma is just a head above most other units in Fates, who are nearly all superunits themselves. His biggest claim to fame, dodgetanking, doesn't even seem like a unanimous strength for him among people who have talked about him

Don't get me wrong; I agree with your comments 100%. It's just that the last time I checked in the debate section (in this very forum, no less), and a couple of other places, more responders seemed to have sided with Ryoma for similar questions.

Edited by henrymidfields

5 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Don't get me wrong; I agree with your comments 100%. It's just that the last time I checked in the debate section (in this very forum, no less), and a couple of other places, more responders seemed to have sided with Ryoma for similar questions.

Hm. I guess I didn't notice any direct comparisons where Ryoma came out on top around here(Though I have seen people exaggerate and say he's the most OP character in Fire Emblem).

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Hm. I guess I didn't notice any direct comparisons where Ryoma came out on top around here(Though I have seen people exaggerate and say he's the most OP character in Fire Emblem).

Perhaps people who only played Fates/Awakening? That might explain some of the exaggeration. But then again, one wordpress site actually made a case for Ryoma > Rutger. Mind you, I'm not convinced by that blog's argument. http://thecrusadergrant.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/the-best-swordmaster-in-series-ryoma.html

I got another unpopular opinion: I try to use units in that were playable in Fire Emblem Heroes and/or as Spotpass units in Awakening, even if the unit is mediocre, (like Cecilia, Jeorge or Sheena), hard to train (such as Gwendolyn or Sophia), or if the unit is in the same class another unit was in earlier on (Brom, Fir or Hawkeye).

I'm also willing to let units stay dead if I'm too far in a chapter.

Edited by Larverto

Here's one...

Long maps don't mean good map design nor does it mean challenging maps. I think from this point on, Nintendo/IS needs to make maps that can be done in a matter of minutes while at the same time make them good and creative.

Some games like FE6 may have good maps but they are so long that an average gamer is going to take nearly a LOT of time just completing chapters such as 21 or even 14.

Oh let's see...

• When talking about Gameplay, Fates was more fun to play, I love playing Fates more than Awakening and Echoes. Echoes has better story of course and Radiant Dawn is my favorite, but from all the FE I have played, Fates has been the more fun to play to me.
  • I like Hoshido more than Nohr, and Conquest story can go to burn in hell
  • The only Nohrian character that I can call a favorite, is Leo. Everyone else is just ok or  just don't care.
  • I find creepy that Xander calls you "little prince/princess" , like if he is a kinky or something lol
  • And now that I'm talking about Xander, I just want to punch him for a lot of reasons but I don't hate him, I just want to punch him to feel better and I don't find him that awesome or handsome, but for some reason I like him more in Heroes (where he didn't refers to you as a little something)
  • I really like Hinoka and I think her english voice fit her very well
  • Takumi doesn't deserve that much hate just because he doesn't like Corrin/you. You can't like to everyone after all, and he has good reasons for doing it (this make me remember a chapter of the Recess cartoon, in which TJ starts a tantrum because one of his school companions doesn't like him). People can dislike him for a lot of reasons but jusst because he is suspicious of Corrin, it sounds... selfish. Also I don't think he looks like a pinneaple.
  • The whole "elitis" vs "otaku/casual player" is boring and I'm tired of it. A bit sad, since tumblr is full of these discussions.
  • For me, Archers/Sniper are my favorite class, even if they aren't the best class... I just like it
  • I like the idea of FE Warriors, I can't wait to play it

I can't think of more, so, let leave these for now