What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The fanbase has reacted pretty negatively to a lot of news coming out

I mean, in the beginning, yes. But it's mellowed out, now that we're actually seeing gameplay, and learning how true to FE's mechanics Warriors is.

But honestly, it's more accurate to say the fanbase has reacted negatively here. There are a lot of Fire Emblem fans who aren't on Serenes, and i've seen plenty of positive comments surrounding Warriors as well.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Really? What kind of negative reactions?

They all have to do with the fact that the only three games being represented (in the base game) are Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates.

But again, the negative reactions come mostly from a vocal minority in the grand scheme of things.

Here's mine: Birthright and Conquest had some very enjoyable gameplay, which makes them good games in my heart, despite their stories being... controversial

3 minutes ago, OliKad said:

Here's mine: Birthright and Conquest had some very enjoyable gameplay, which makes them good games in my heart, despite their stories being... controversial

To be honest, my dislike for Fates comes mostly from other aspects, not the story in particular. I think the gameplay is amazing, mostly, with the exception of some weird maps and 99% of Rev. I don't want to go on a rant or anything, but that is an aspect I will praise gladly.

Ryoma and Takumi are terrible characters.

Xane is the most unique character in the entire series.

Xane is beautiful.

I genuinely like Roy's brains over brawn style.

Chrom x Male Robin > Chrom x Female Robin

Male Corrin > Female Corrin

Awakening had better voice acting than Fates.

TMS needs a sequel.

Tellius only has a few stand-out characters: Micaiah, Sothe, Rhys, Ranulf, the Herons, Tibarn, Naesala and Sanaki.

The Tellius bias, and Jugdral bias for that matter, isn't justified. Both sets of games are average. come at me

Edited by Lautsuu

those who know me will know this one. for Me, Hector is the second worst Lord and having an axe doesn't save him from being a bad character.

also seemingly That Amelia should be a Paladin is up there.

...I feel like the Archanean games should get another shot at remakes. Obviously after the other games, of course. I feel this way because SoV is so damn good, and such a big improvement from Gaiden, so...yeah.

I also want Marth to get another game, one final one which covers his reign as king and stuff, maybe leading up to his death or maybe even Caeda's death? I dunno, I want it to be really dark and angsty but obviously 99% of the fandom would rage and whatever. I just think that there's something missing at the end of MotE, so making the Archanea games into a trilogy would be fantastic. this is clearly my Marth bias shining through, sue me.

I think Ests damsel tendencies might be a little overstated. From the top of my head she's only kidnapped twice, once by Grief and then by the Archeneans.

Takumi is also kidnapped two times but no one calls him a damselboy. Tana might also get captured two times depending on what route you take and Kagero and Izana a whopping three times. 

1. I don't like a lot of Est esque characters, but I like Est, so whatever. Nino is probably the worst case of being a good unit at way too late in the game. 

2. Early game fliers, aka Florina, Tsubaki, etc. Vanessa is one of the few exceptions, I love Vanessa, she is great! Even though I'll forget how to spell her name half the time. The rest suck complete butts. 

3. Characters like Lucina, Lyn, and so on. They suck, they suck so much it's not even funny, they are bad characters and half the time terrible units. 

4. FE 4 isn't the best game, it's one of the best, just not the best. The game is very dated and even without those dated things, the maps and a few other things are huge turn offs.

5. Hating on Gaiden maps. All but the swamps are fine, they do their job, and they work. I don't expect some expansive open world full of beauty or whatever out of a Famicom game. 

6. Wrys jokes. They are overused, let the old man die, please. 

7. Clair is a bad unit. She always was, she always will be. No buff can change her terribleness. 

8. Battle before Dawn hate is a tad bit over done, but the map and so on is terrible. Ursula is annoying, Nino sucks, and Jaffar should move. 

9. Celica hate is overrated. Put yourself in her shoes, her mentality, what she is going through, yes the writers had to work off of what was in a game on the famicom, but I personally enjoyed a lot of Celica's route, except the damn swamps. 

10. Berkut isn't the best villain in the series, he is cool, but like he isn't that good. 

11. Eldigan sucks, he isn't the best Camus clone. 

12. I liked Birthright more than Conquest

13. I hate Conquest with a passion, everything in it is terrible. Map design, enemy placement, enemy stats, you name it, I hate it. 

14. I liked the first few maps in Rev, but other than that it's all bad. 

15. Severa is cool, I like her

Edited by Kazuya

6 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

..I feel like the Archanean games should get another shot at remakes. Obviously after the other games, of course. I feel this way because SoV is so damn good, and such a big improvement from Gaiden, so...yeah.

I'm with you on this one. Granted, it would put FE1 at a grand total of three remakes, but I think with more of SoV's design philosophy (stay consistent, but iron over things that are frustrating, add worldbuilding, voice acting, and supports, etc.) it could really take off.

Archanea is often called uninteresting, and sure, a lot of the writing isn't the most original (it's from an early 90s fantasy, after all), but the world and story have a lot of potential for expansion. Heroes giving a lot of the Archanea units more characterization than Shadow Dragon did was a good start, and the voice acting does wonders. I've been playing through FE12 recently, and aside from Kris, the development that the Archanea characters get is pretty great.

Plus give me that sweet updated art style. I want me an adorable Merric in SoV style

Edited by Extrasolar

2 hours ago, Kazuya said:

Jaffar should move

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

Oh he'll move. In the wrong direction of course.

Am i the only one who legit never has trouble with Battle Before Dawn? Like, Fog-of-War bullshit aside, the map is pretty decent and saving Jaffar is usually pretty easy for me.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Am i the only one who legit never has trouble with Battle Before Dawn? Like, Fog-of-War bullshit aside, the map is pretty decent and saving Jaffar is usually pretty easy for me.

Jaffar is fine, it's the bs enemies and other things that are a huge issue, especially for me. Considering I power level at every arena I'm in, it isn't too bad but like Nino is the worst.

32 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

I'm with you on this one. Granted, it would put FE1 at a grand total of three remakes, but I think with more of SoV's design philosophy (stay consistent, but iron over things that are frustrating, add worldbuilding, voice acting, and supports, etc.) it could really take off.

Archanea is often called uninteresting, and sure, a lot of the writing isn't the most original (it's from an early 90s fantasy, after all), but the world and story have a lot of potential for expansion. Heroes giving a lot of the Archanea units more characterization than Shadow Dragon did was a good start, and the voice acting does wonders. I've been playing through FE12 recently, and aside from Kris, the development that the Archanea characters get is pretty great.

Plus give me that sweet updated art style. I want me an adorable Merric in SoV style

This so much. Archanea is a world that has been held back by archaic characterization limits, and Shadows of Valentia taking place on its sister continent to the west has me fascinated by what they could do with the game. And for what it's worth, MoTE Book 2 has never been released outside of Japan, and since Mystery of the Emblem was next in line after Gaiden...

While other continuities want more attention to, Shadow Dragon is one of the Big Three alongside Awakening and Fates. If anything, giving Marth's saga a proper closure would be a fine way to move on to other things.

I also agree that Marth's games should definitely get a new remake. Marth's games were all unfortunately held back by being made in the wrong time and both its remake, while good in their own ways, never really were able to remake the games to their full potential and I feel like the Switch could. But also, Marth's games have been solidified as one of the 'big three', so it's only right it gets a new remake within the next few years.

I liked fates more than Awakening and I honestly think it's better than it. The gameplay is more enjoyable to me and I see Awakening as being too easy. Conquest was really challenging and fun. I acknowledge that both games have questionable stories and plot points, but I still prefer fates due to it's gameplay.

I'd like to see a game similar to FE 3/12, but uhh after Marth's time in Archanea, not like 13, but before. Besides, that would be a good explanation for how 13's Archanea ended up as it is. 

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

it's the bs enemies and other things that are a huge issue

Maybe i'm just lucky but Jaffar always seems to handle the enemies on his side. The only issue is when he walks into Ursula's range. But that's only sometimes.

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

but like Nino is the worst.

I usually end up training her up, so her join time isn't too much of an issue. I mean, i consistently train Sophia in every Binding Blade playthrough, to the point that she's my main Shaman. If someone can train Sophia, then they can train pretty much any Est. Except Corple. Corple fucking sucks no matter what.

45 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

I'd like to see a game similar to FE 3/12, but uhh after Marth's time in Archanea, not like 13, but before. Besides, that would be a good explanation for how 13's Archanea ended up as it is. 

2000 years is enough for some geographic changes to happen. Big things to note in FE13 is that sea levels have seem to risen and lowered at certain areas, as what was Talys in Marth's time is now connected to the mainland. What was once Altea is now the desert land of Plegia. Several islands have popped up surrounding Ylisse.

Looking at Valm, it seems the northeastern part of what used to be Valentia's swamp land has dried up. The river that once flowed through the Sluice Gate is now blocked off from the western coast. Novis grew in size and a new island has appeared off of Valm's western coast.

Makes me wonder how much Jugdral has changed. Hopefully all of Jugdral sank beneath the waves because Jugdral sucks. I'm joking, please don't kill me.

copy n paste from reddit:

• Wolf and Sedgar are some of the best characters in SD.
  • PoR!Soren is not a good unit outside of LTC play.
  • Jill is nowhere near Haar's combat prowess in RD.
  • Very few units are viable in Conquest's maximum efficiency runs.
  • "Reliable LTC" is a gimmick and a bit of an oxymoron, even if you do want an LTC clear of a map to be as reliable as possible so that you can actually advance to the next chapter. "Reliably" LTCing, say, FE6 is simply not possible unless you want to make serious turn sacrifices nearly every chapter.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

2000 years is enough for some geographic changes to happen. Big things to note in FE13 is that sea levels have seem to risen and lowered at certain areas, as what was Talys in Marth's time is now connected to the mainland. What was once Altea is now the desert land of Plegia. Several islands have popped up surrounding Ylisse.

Looking at Valm, it seems the northeastern part of what used to be Valentia's swamp land has dried up. The river that once flowed through the Sluice Gate is now blocked off from the western coast. Novis grew in size and a new island has appeared off of Valm's western coast.

Makes me wonder how much Jugdral has changed. Hopefully all of Jugdral sank beneath the waves because Jugdral sucks. I'm joking, please don't kill me.

Somehow Duma Gate managed to survive completely unaffected by 2k yrs. of time, though(It's the Great Gate in Inigo's Paralogue for those who don't know), and the guy guarding it was reincarnated with literally the same name(Jamil) so that's cool.

Also, wouldn't wishing Jugdral sank beneath the waves be a possible unpopular opinion? If so, you shouldn't have to try and beg not to be killed, right?

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Ests damsel tendencies might be a little overstated. From the top of my head she's only kidnapped twice, once by Grief and then by the Archeneans.

Takumi is also kidnapped two times but no one calls him a damselboy. Tana might also get captured two times depending on what route you take and Kagero and Izana a whopping three times. 

The difference here is of course that we're all only rescuing Takumi because the game makes us, if it was up to us at least half of us would just let him die for being such an (self-censored).

10 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

ITT: @Harvey hates Binding Blade, @Armagon hates Genealogy, both hate each other and need to get a room.

…that would certainly be worth seeing - those two locked in a room with nothing but a copy of Binding Blade, a copy of Genealogy and systems for both games.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Am i the only one who legit never has trouble with Battle Before Dawn?

I legit never have trouble with Battle Before Dawn! This may or may not be because I don't have access to the game

5 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Also, wouldn't wishing Jugdral sank beneath the waves be a possible unpopular opinion?

No, that was an actual joke. As much as i don't like the Jugdral games, i do want to see the setting return.

7 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

that would certainly be worth seeing - those two locked in a room with nothing but a copy of Binding Blade, a copy of Genealogy and systems for both games.

This would be bad, but not because it's our least favorite games (tbh, i would much rather play FE4 than FE5, because FE4 is slightly less bullshit. I just have more complaints about FE4 because i actually finished it once. But FE5, i stopped playing and never went back due to it's own shit gameplay). It'd be bad because if you give us both physical copies for both systems.....it's in Japanese. We don't know Japanese.

Just now, Armagon said:

This would be bad, but not because it's our least favorite games (tbh, i would much rather play FE4 than FE5, because FE4 is slightly less {SoulWeaver-Censored}. I just have more complaints about FE4 because i actually finished it once. But FE5, i stopped playing and never went back due to it's own {SoulWeaver-Censored} gameplay). It'd be bad because if you give us both physical copies for both systems.....it's in Japanese. We don't know Japanese.

That's part of what would make it so fun for the rest of us! Eventually you guys would get bored enough to try them anyways, and then we get to watch you guys try and do the whole thing from memory!