What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

This isn't restricted to Fire Emblem, but if I want to play a Fire Emblem crossover game, I would rather get Heroes or Warriors than Smash Bros. For the latter game, there's too much focus on Ike, Marth, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Roy, with a lack of diversity in both weapon and gender distribution (For starters, still no Caeda?! Seriously?! She's the most representative heroine of the entire franchise, and at any rate, she's more appropriate than that Nintendo's resident damsel idiot!!), and I don't find their characteristics all that good either, compared to their home games. (Ditto with some of the Zelda stuff from Smash Brothers, compared to Hyrule Warriors.)

Edited by henrymidfields

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

For the latter game, there's too much focus on Ike, Marth, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Roy, with a lack of diversity in both weapon and gender distribution (For starters, still no Caeda?! Seriously?! She's the most representative heroine of the entire franchise, and at any rate, she's more appropriate than that Nintendo's resident damsel idiot!!)

In all fairness to Smash Bros, they can't bias Fire Emblem too much in what's meant to be a celebration of Nintendo as a whole.  The six characters that we have is already considered more than what's expected. 

What's more, if you honestly consider Caeda more prominent in Fire Emblem than Peach or Zelda are in Mario or Zelda, then... honestly I don't know how you'd come to that conclusion.  Peach and Zelda are both huge faces in their respective franchises and continuously get pretty prominent roles in them so it's pretty weird to not have them around in a game meant to be celebrating those franchises and others when the cast started expanding from "main character" to "main characters" in Melee.  

Caeda basically does three things: 1. Warn Marth about bandits in the first chapter of 1/11, 2. Recruit some dudes, and 3. marry Marth.  While she is more important than the vast majority of Archanea's cast, she's nowhere near the level of Peach or Zelda, and I honestly consider Lucina more important to the plot of Awakening than Caeda is to the plot of Archanea, and I think Lucina kinda falls off in importance after Chapter 13.

Also, it'd probably be really hard to make her work in Smash Bros with the pegasus.  

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Forrest is adorable and he did the "effeminate boy" thing better than this piss poor excuse of a man Libra, where everything about him is portrayed as a stupid joke. Also he looks ugly as hell. 

At least Forrest has more character developpement, I find his relationship with his dad to be sweet.

Kaden and Keaton are great characters, as they fully convey their personalities without being one-note.

Owain x female Morgan is one of the best supports I've seen in the series.

Having uncle and aunt supports with the Fates kids would've made them so much better. Asugi would be able to talk to Kaze about taking on the name of Saizo, he'd finally have the opinion of someone who could've had it if he were born first. Sakura and Elise could've provided some much needed comfort to their nephews, so on, so forth.

Inigo is the best possible child for Robin. Their conversation in Future Past 2 shows how deep Inigo's character goes, and also shows that he's very intelligent. Their father-son support also makes sense with bringing up Lucina, Robin would technically be quite close to her due to his bond with Chrom, and would be constantly observing her as he's the tactician. Giving Inigo a little sister would also balance out his flirting, I don't think he'd appreciate anyone trying to date her or whatever. Plus, pink haired Morgan.

Stahl x Sumia would've been cute as heck.

I understand why the roster of Fire Emblem Warriors is the way it is. It's pretty much an experiment. The developers have already said that they're interested in making a sequel. If they do, they can include Tellius, Jugdral, Valentia, Elibe and Magvel. Chill out you petty children.

Ike should've just been a member of nobility, because he's so freaking special. i had to, and i have no regrets

-I am not sure how unpopular this is, but I am not a big fan of Kinshi Knights. Their poor bases and growths make their claim to fame (being flying archers) less appealing. I guess it was meant to balance them out so they do not outshine other bow-using classes, but it just makes them seem less worth using. (I also find it strange how bow users in video games are often fairly weak when real life archery with medieval-style bows requires more strength than most realize, speaking from experience).

-The weapons I use the most in Fates (other than iron weapons) are the weapons that boost defensive stats, like the Nohrian Blade and the Guard Naginata (the Horse Spirit is essentially the default weapon of my main mage).

18 hours ago, 74123AQWX said:

Forrest is adorable and he did the "effeminate boy" thing better than this piss poor excuse of a man Libra, where everything about him is portrayed as a stupid joke. Also he looks ugly as hell. 

At least Forrest has more character developpement, I find his relationship with his dad to be sweet.

I think that's a very popular opinion actually. I tend to see nothing but praise for Forrest. Didn't he win the second gen popularity poll too?

The only thing holding Forrest down is being chained to that deeprealm nonsense. 

7 hours ago, KoimanZX said:

(I also find it strange how bow users in video games are often fairly weak when real life archery with medieval-style bows requires more strength than most realize, speaking from experience).

-The weapons I use the most in Fates (other than iron weapons) are the weapons that boost defensive stats, like the Nohrian Blade and the Guard Naginata (the Horse Spirit is essentially the default weapon of my main mage).

I agree, bows are tough on the arm and if you need to make your bow stronger, you need to have even more strength as well. Also, who wouldn't use the horse spirit? It's +4 to every important stat iirc.

I don't get why many value horse emblem over foot emblem.

Saying horses get better movement doesn't mean that those units are the best unless they have good growths so if a unit is a horse, then by horse emblem logic, the unit is worth using even if the units stats are crappy.

Then you have footies who have low movement but are about as broken as most horse units if trained enough.

I don't know honestly...this is what I don't get at all when it comes to FE.

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

I don't get why many value horse emblem over foot emblem.

Same. I think it's because people are obsessed with LTC. Part of what goes into judging a unit's worth is how much they contribute to LTC, and i think that's stupid. A unit shouldn't be judged by a particular playstyle.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Same. I think it's because people are obsessed with LTC. Part of what goes into judging a unit's worth is how much they contribute to LTC, and i think that's stupid. A unit shouldn't be judged by a particular playstyle.

I think the reason people are obsessed with LTC is that it comes across (at least from FE4-7) as how IS wants you to play.  Otherwise, the game wouldn't judge your tactical abilities by how small your turn counts are

I hate using this phrase, but...I never understood the divide between the fandom. Yes, this is probably a popular opinion, but from what I've seen, literally everybody in this fandom is either an 'elitist' or 'casual/newcomer', and I'm cringing so hard at having to use those terms. I, myself, am a newcomer, I came in during Awakening. But, I've played or at least watched LPs of some of the older games, I enjoyed them. Heck, I even enjoyed Fates until the second playthrough and the hype wore off. I don't understand why the fandom can't just get along? So what does it matter if people prefer the newer games or vice versa? As long as you enjoy what you do, why should you care? Who gave you the right to decide which games people should like?

And when people say that IS is shunning the older fans, I don't see it? I can't remember the last fully-themed Fates banner that introduced new characters in Heroes. I mean, Archanea has a ton of characters, as does Elibe. Valentia and Magvel are not far behind, and I'm sure we'll be getting more of Tellius and Jugdral. I don't want to call people out, but it seems to me that the ones who are the true 'elitists' are fans of Jugdral and Tellius. It's understandable, but must you poison the fanbase further? But then again, the 'casuals/newcomers' are just as bad. They instantly call out the 'elitists' as soon as information regarding the newer games comes out, saying "oh, the elitists are gonna be sooooo salty" and stuff, and it's pathetic.

And it's gotten to the point where people refuse to buy the new games like yeah okay, that's what you say, how do we know that you haven't actually bought them? To me, it just seems like people hate just because they want to feel 'cool'. No, you're not cool, you're just acting like a spoiled brat whose birthday present wasn't good enough. You're beating a dead horse, so just jump off the bandwagon already.

And I'll ask the age old question, why can't everyone just get along, or at least be civil?

Sorry for this, I just needed to get this out of my system.

15 minutes ago, Lautsuu said:

I hate using this phrase, but...I never understood the divide between the fandom. Yes, this is probably a popular opinion, but from what I've seen, literally everybody in this fandom is either an 'elitist' or 'casual/newcomer', and I'm cringing so hard at having to use those terms. I, myself, am a newcomer, I came in during Awakening. But, I've played or at least watched LPs of some of the older games, I enjoyed them. Heck, I even enjoyed Fates until the second playthrough and the hype wore off. I don't understand why the fandom can't just get along? So what does it matter if people prefer the newer games or vice versa? As long as you enjoy what you do, why should you care? Who gave you the right to decide which games people should like?

And when people say that IS is shunning the older fans, I don't see it? I can't remember the last fully-themed Fates banner that introduced new characters in Heroes. I mean, Archanea has a ton of characters, as does Elibe. Valentia and Magvel are not far behind, and I'm sure we'll be getting more of Tellius and Jugdral. I don't want to call people out, but it seems to me that the ones who are the true 'elitists' are fans of Jugdral and Tellius. It's understandable, but must you poison the fanbase further? But then again, the 'casuals/newcomers' are just as bad. They instantly call out the 'elitists' as soon as information regarding the newer games comes out, saying "oh, the elitists are gonna be sooooo salty" and stuff, and it's pathetic.

And it's gotten to the point where people refuse to buy the new games like yeah okay, that's what you say, how do we know that you haven't actually bought them? To me, it just seems like people hate just because they want to feel 'cool'. No, you're not cool, you're just acting like a spoiled brat whose birthday present wasn't good enough. You're beating a dead horse, so just jump off the bandwagon already.

And I'll ask the age old question, why can't everyone just get along, or at least be civil?

Amen. I completely get it

2 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

This. I know that some stuff I say probably doesn't help, but I try to be neutral. I honestly have only recently disliked the Warriors stuff since it could have been easily avoided, but I try to not kindle that flame more than it already has been kindled.

@Glaceon Mage: Well, at least Caeda don't have the stupid, "OMG, I forgot all of my Smash Brothers Moves, my power level just went back to zero and Bowser's knocking on my door! Help!" that the damsel bitch has! Seriously, the latter should rot in the castle dungeon and let Darwinism do her work. The other question: Why is she getting stuff like her own weapon in the remakes, and even a Nendoroid alongside Marth?

As for gameplay, just use her Pegasus move as her Final Smash and have her land-based on the rest. Considering the precedent for dismounting, it can't be a big stretch.

10 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Well, at least Caeda don't have the stupid, "OMG, I forgot all of my Smash Brothers Moves, my power level just went back to zero and Bowser's knocking on my door! Help!" that the damsel bitch has! Seriously, the latter should rot in the castle dungeon and let Darwinism do her work.

Looks like someone doesn't understand what non-canon is.

But God damn, i've never seen anyone hate on Peach that much.

17 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

@Glaceon Mage: Well, at least Caeda don't have the stupid, "OMG, I forgot all of my Smash Brothers Moves, my power level just went back to zero and Bowser's knocking on my door! Help!" that the damsel bitch has! Seriously, the latter should rot in the castle dungeon and let Darwinism do her work. The other question: Why is she getting stuff like her own weapon in the remakes, and even a Nendoroid alongside Marth?

As for gameplay, just use her Pegasus move as her Final Smash and have her land-based on the rest. Considering the precedent for dismounting, it can't be a big stretch.

When you start referring to video game characters as "that bitch", it's time to tone it down several notches.

42 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

She's basically the Archanea equivalent of Lilina in FE6, though I'd argue Lilina is more relevant due to the first story arc being about rescuing her and her being needed to find Durandal.  

Yes, she's promoted quite a bit as far as the Archanea characters go.  But she's not nearly as relevant as Peach is to Mario, appearing in notable roles in only 4 games (two of which are remakes) as opposed to however many super prominent roles Peach has that I'm not even going to bother counting.  Mario is also a FAR bigger franchise and the face of Nintendo.  Not including it's core cast (that is, Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi) would be a disservice to it for Melee on.  

As another note on Caeda: since they can't put a lot of Fire Emblem characters in, chances are they want to spread the representation over several games.  Lucina is an exception, but she's also an alternate costume that was tweaked into a full character.  You can't do that with Caeda.  

If you don't like Peach, fine.  But you're kidding yourself if you honestly think Caeda is near her level of relevance or are remotely surprised Peach has a spot when Caeda does not.

I like Gaiden more than I like Echoes

Perhaps it's the game's retro charm?

Edited by Pixelman

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Looks like someone doesn't understand what non-canon is.

But God damn, i've never seen anyone hate on Peach that much.

I hate Peach more than that if anything, the difference here is I keep it to myself because it's not exactly a good idea to rage about her inclusion.

5 hours ago, familyplayer said:

This. I know that some stuff I say probably doesn't help, but I try to be neutral. I honestly have only recently disliked the Warriors stuff since it could have been easily avoided, but I try to not kindle that flame more than it already has been kindled.

I'm super hyped for Warriors, and I understand why the developers did what they did. Do I like it? No, of course not, I'd love to see the likes of Roy, Eliwood, Rhys and the Laguz. Will I continuously beat a dead horse and loudly exclaim that I don't like it? Um, no, because again, I understand what they're doing. I like the roster so far, and this is coming from someone who hates Cordelia, Corrin and Takumi, and is indifferent to Ryoma, Hinoka and Frederick.

Honestly, I like to think of Warriors as an experiment, a prototype if you will. The developers have already said that they're interested in making a sequel if it sells well. IF. How would you make if sell well? Appeal to a wide audience. Choose the more recognisable characters. I guarantee you someone who at least keeps up with Nintendo will walk into a store and see Warriors and be like, "that's the guy from Smash!" or "those are the guys from the game where you have to choose your path" or even just see Corrin and be like. "Damn she hawt hooboi". They'll buy the game, tell their friends, the game sells well. Boom, sequel. And due to the outcry of the first game, they'll include other games in the roster.

People need to give it a chance.

5 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

I'm super hyped for Warriors, and I understand why the developers did what they did. Do I like it? No, of course not, I'd love to see the likes of Roy, Eliwood, Rhys and the Laguz. Will I continuously beat a dead horse and loudly exclaim that I don't like it? Um, no, because again, I understand what they're doing. I like the roster so far, and this is coming from someone who hates Cordelia, Corrin and Takumi, and is indifferent to Ryoma, Hinoka and Frederick.

Honestly, I like to think of Warriors as an experiment, a prototype if you will. The developers have already said that they're interested in making a sequel if it sells well. IF. How would you make if sell well? Appeal to a wide audience. Choose the more recognisable characters. I guarantee you someone who at least keeps up with Nintendo will walk into a store and see Warriors and be like, "that's the guy from Smash!" or "those are the guys from the game where you have to choose your path" or even just see Corrin and be like. "Damn she hawt hooboi". They'll buy the game, tell their friends, the game sells well. Boom, sequel. And due to the outcry of the first game, they'll include other games in the roster.

People need to give it a chance.

I agree, but, like I said, I do think that the developers really could have easily avoided certain complaints. Then again, hindsight bias could be blocking me from seeing it any other way. I definitely think their excuse for why the new lords have swords is a VERY shitty excuse.