What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

... so then was Kaga's departure for the best?

Probably... I mean, if he was still around, FE6 wouldn't have ended up the way it is now and that it would have been completely different.

And personally, unlike Hideo Kojima, Yuji Naka and maybe the true creator of Mega Man whom I forgot who are needed badly to make their main creations like how they know it at best, Nintendo, Hal and IS have been making their games consistently good even without the creators of such IPs. Kirby is doing fine without Masahiro Sakurai, Mario is doing well as usual without much of Shigeru Miyamoto's involvement and I haven't heard much about Satoshi Tajiri...the main one behind Pokemon do much to the IP and that also ends up doing fine.

Heck even Metroid is doing fine without much of Gunpei Yokoi but I won't go too far off topic here as its about FE.

Point is that if he was still around, we'd probably have another "Shigeru Miyamoto should retire" clone all over again.

8 minutes ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

I assume said opinion is "I think it's garbage"?

I mean, my actual opinion is "The Jugdral games are the worst games in the series" but yeah, that works too.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

So most of Jugdral then. Because Thracia has it's own bullshit mechanics as well.

Dunno. Pawn Shop works wonderfully IMHO. Inheritance works very good as well. The class system is also good (taking movement aside, the only class that is outright superior to the others is Master Knight, of which you have only one per gen). The rings system is good. But this wasn't about the whole of Jugdral, it was about the pawn shop. At least now I know exactly what you mean when you say "bullshit".

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Except in the cases where you do need to access the Pawn Shop mid-chapter. Sure, it doesn't happen all the time, but it's frustrating when it does.

Do we agree that it's a very rare occurrence if at all or not? Because if we do, it's really a minor complaint. If we don't I guess you should first try playing the game trying to never access it mid-chapter. You'd discover it's totally unneeded. But I already know you won't even touch FE4 again, so...

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pair-Up in Awakening. The game clearly wants you to use it but it's so broken and unbalanced.

But the pawn shop is neither. It works and accomplishes its aim.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yes, yes it was. If Kaga was still on the team, i don't think i'd be playing Fire Emblem today. Actually, i think the series would've died if he was still on the team. He did a good job with Mystery of the Emblem but that's it. I can't comment on the TearRing Saga (and the other two Saga games) since i've never played. I've heard good things about them but i've also heard good things about the Jugdral games and we all know what my opinion on Jugdral is.

If Kaga had never been in the team you wouldn't be playing any FE right now. And Fe5+FE4 (Thracia more than Genealogy IMHO) is what really shaped the series IMHO (every class finally promotes, non-all 20 caps, axes being almost on par with other weapons etc...). But I digress, I don't know that much about Kaga's games and such an issue really seems pointless to discuss IMHO.

14 minutes ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

Was it good or bad, in your opinion?

I think its good in some fashion. Yes Thracia is the most unique of all the FE games as of now but to simply say that his main games far outshadow the ones that don't involve him isn't really fair. If he were still around, who knows what would have happened to FE6. 7, 8, 9 and so on. The later games fleshed out characters more than the ones done by him. Its not really his fault though, but the fact that they were able to make FE games good without him only means that fresh blood is added thus allowing new things to be added while at the same time, maintaining the formula.

Besides...we still have no idea what he's doing now do we?

Edited by Harvey

2 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Inheritance works very good as well. The class system is also good

I'll give points to these. Inheritance was pretty cool and so were the classes (even if i find Wind, Fire, and Thunder Mages to be redundant).

4 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

But the pawn shop is neither. It works and accomplishes its aim.

It doesn't do a good job.

4 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

If Kaga had never been in the team you wouldn't be playing any FE right now.

Obviously, since he's the creator. But that last good FE he made was Mystery of the Emblem.

5 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

And Fe5+FE4 (Thracia more than Genealogy IMHO) is what really shaped the series IMHO (every class finally promotes, non-all 20 caps, axes being almost on par with other weapons etc...).

I'll give points to Thracia for that but Thracia was heavily flawed. Fortunately, FE6 and onwards fixed it's problems.

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Yes Thracia is the most unique of all the FE games as of now

What? How is Thracia the most unique game in the series? Gaiden/SoV and FE4 are more unique than Thracia. 

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Kaga worked on Vestriria Saga recently, and i think he's doing a Part 2 of it.

27 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I think its good in some fashion. Yes Thracia is the most unique of all the FE games as of now but to simply say that his main games far outshadow the ones that don't involve him isn't really fair. If he were still around, who knows what would have happened to FE6. 7, 8, 9 and so on. The later games fleshed out characters more than the ones done by him. Its not really his fault though, but the fact that they were able to make FE games good without him only means that fresh blood is added thus allowing new things to be added while at the same time, maintaining the formula.

Don't we though? He's been making FE-style indie games while retired. And Tearring Saga fleshes out characters without supports which is quite cool (though he still has it through freaking secret events half the time that don't have enough of a hint at it).

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What? How is Thracia the most unique game in the series? Gaiden/SoV and FE4 are more unique than Thracia.

Oh boy....

Firstly, its the first game to implement objective variety which most FE games don't have this to date..even SoV.

Secondly, a lot of mechanics that are added here are the most favored and the best of them all. Capturing, Fatigue and the ability to still use a broken weapon at the cost of being vulnerable are unique. All gaiden did was just changing to classes and having the options to grind for exp which is what frustrated a lot.

Thirdly, Why does it matter who thinks is more unique? The point is that FE5 is innovative of its own and quite frankly, after playing a bit of it, I want thieves to steal weapons again in future.

And lastly...aren't you known for bashing at FE4 for whatever reason you have? And somehow you're admitting that its unique?

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Secondly, a lot of mechanics that are added here are the most favored and the best of them all. Capturing, Fatigue

People like Fatigue? That's the first time i've ever heard of that? Last i checked, Fatigue was Thracia's most infamous mechanic.

All gaiden did was just changing to classes and having the options to grind for exp

You forgot personalized spell lists, HP Magic Cost, and the biggest emphasis on Terrain. Also dungeons.

aren't you known for bashing at FE4 for whatever reason you have? And somehow you're admitting that its unique?

FE4 is a unique game but not a good one.

And lastly...aren't you known for bashing at FE4 for whatever reason you have? And somehow you're admitting that its unique?

Unique doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Unique can mean bad as well; not that I really hate Jugdral.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

No. There is no information online regarding his doings after the fall of Tirnanog Studios.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

People like Fatigue? That's the first time i've ever heard of that? Last i checked, Fatigue was Thracia's most infamous mechanic.

Well, the only reason I can see people liking that would be for historical-plausibility reasons - people can't fight forever. But since when was Fire Emblem or any non-fanmade Nintendo game ever known for historical plausibility, and who the hell obsesses about that stuff anyway (besides me, of course)?

FE4 is a unique game but not a good one.

From your perspective, one could say it was unique for its abysmal quality.

48 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Unique doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Unique can mean bad as well; not that I really hate Jugdral.

I mean, look at President Bush Jr.'s unique English!

You forgot personalized spell lists, HP Magic Cost, and the biggest emphasis on Terrain. Also dungeons. 

It seems that in his haste to discredit Gaiden/SoV, @Harvey created a bit of a straw man.

@Armagon: You seem to have forgotten the complete voice-overs in SoV.

Edited by Sigismund of Luxemburg

2 minutes ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

but it surely makes SoV unique compared to the rest of Fire Emblem.

Ehhhhhhhhh. Warriors is getting full voice acting and there's no doubt that FE16 will also have it. Heck, Tokyo Mirage Sessions had full voice acting and that came out before SoV.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

Not overall, no; but it surely makes SoV unique compared to the rest of Fire Emblem.

It's really just a unique part of the game, not something that makes the game unique. And like @Armagon said, that won't be unique soon.

In my most unpopular opinion, I don't care about how many fans exaggerate that FE is all about waifu crap. As long as we get characters with fun personalities and solid gameplay, that's all that matters to me.

And to be honest, that thing is really starting to get old.

Just want to chip in and say, the longer I'm around Thracia, the more and more that I love it for it's weirdness. I love capturing, I love 20 stat caps, and I love fatigue & dismount.

I'm really really not fond of 4 (It's only beaten to the bottom of the barrel by 10), but 5 is in my top 3. Go figure. I also really liked Gaiden before it was hip for everything it did different, as well. I guess it's unpopular, but I really enjoy that FE keeps tinkering with stuff, because while some games may be a miss, others are really a hit, and that wouldn't happen with endless compromise across the series.

I love 3,5,6, Echoes, but I wouldn't want every game in the series to be like them, because I can always play them for their respective experiences. Show me what you got! Conquest was hella fun to play.

Is "I'm not interested in heroes" an unpopular opinion? Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't play it but I do feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

I don't really care about my opinion being what it is btw. I'm cool to let other people enjoy things and me not; I just don't know if others are in the same boat as me or not.

3 minutes ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

Those mechanics were great.

The rest, not so much...

I'm also the guy who loves the swamps and desert maps and cantors in gaiden/echoes fight me

20 stat caps are without a doubt my personal fave, and fatigue made 5 mix-it-up the game, and gave me a reason to keep using some of my favorite units, like Lifis, who had better options but needed a rest.

I get why people don't like that stuff, but hey, I do!

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I'm also the guy who loves the swamps and desert maps and cantors in gaiden/echoes fight me

OK, guys, we've got a certified masochist here. Where's our psychologist?

6 minutes ago, Umbran Darros 3 said:

Is "I'm not interested in heroes" an unpopular opinion? Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't play it but I do feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

To my understanding, your opinion is not so much unpopular as it is uncommon. 

1 hour ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

These aren't even that bad. I mean, desert maps have always been garbage but outside of Wolff's Fort, Gaiden/SoV's desert maps are tame. They're still terrible, but not as a bad as some of the other desert maps in the series. Wolff's Fort is shit though.

As for the swamp maps, Falcoknights trivialize it so i honestly don't see what the issue is.

Cantors=free EXP grinding.