What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/4/2017 at 11:53 AM, secondaryhenry said:

think Ricken and Nowi are good characters. ...they're just poorly written sometimes a lot maybe.

I agree with you on Nowi. Her supports I actually really like, especially her and Nah's. Nowi can be mature, but she'd rather make others feel better by being the optimist. She appears childish, but she actually takes things like an adult, which is shown in Tharja's support with her, and in Gregor's, she displays a selfless nature when she gives him a sweater of her dragon scales. She is also an incredibly good unit, if a bit tough to raise up and a little risky to use because you can't buy dragonstones for a while.

But Ricken... I just... I can't handle Ricken. If I wanted a weaker Miriel with extra defense, I'd use Tharja. But I don't. He reclasses into physical classes with a 30% strength growth and a base strength of 3, so have fun getting him skills :\ The fact that he comes with wind magic and thinks that he can rescue Maribelle from the king of Plegia's army with it, I can't fathom how one would possibly be intelligent and still come up with that. He disobeys Chrom to try and prove to him that he is good enough to be a shepherd even though he's not, he's like 12 or something, and he doesn't even meet up with the group so he can say, "Sorry, I'm here, you have to use me," instead, you go directly to Maribelle and put yourself in a corner on high ground. Against the Plegians, the country of people that is led by Gangrel, the crazy, bloodthirsty monster who starts wars for funsies. No. Just no.

This is the picture I use for Ricken (it does have the F-bomb in it, I apologize):

Spoiler

59d51e6e514e7_NotBuildaBearRicken.thumb.jpeg.aa57bd8ff626dba46e41de2aa91156c3.jpeg

Edited by Florina's #1 Fan

2 hours ago, secondaryhenry said:

think Ricken and Nowi are good characters. ...they're just poorly written sometimes a lot maybe.

Ricken's a fairly decent shota but that's also a bit of a weakness. Ricken fills the shota role well....but also does nothing more. In a series that got kids like Nils, Tormod, Sothe, Rolf, Morgan and Raigh that's a little bit of a downgrade. 

Unlike the loli's the shota's generally get traits that go beyond their shota status. Ricken doesn't. I still like him but he loses out compared to what came before. 

40 minutes ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

you can't buy dragonstones for a while.

You can actually buy Dragonstone+ from Young Tiki's spotpass, so technically, you can buy dragonstones very quickly.

Beaststones, however...

Edited by Glaceon Mage

7 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

You can actually buy Dragonstone+ from Young Tiki's spotpass, so technically, you can buy dragonstones very quickly.

Oh, so she's even better :) Awesome. I never knew that. And you changed your profile pic! Who is that?

Edited by Florina's #1 Fan

1 hour ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

But Ricken... I just... I can't handle Ricken. If I wanted a weaker Miriel with extra defense, I'd use Tharja. But I don't. He reclasses into physical classes with a 30% strength growth and a base strength of 3, so have fun getting him skills :\ The fact that he comes with wind magic and thinks that he can rescue Maribelle from the king of Plegia's army with it, I can't fathom how one would possibly be intelligent and still come up with that. He disobeys Chrom to try and prove to him that he is good enough to be a shepherd even though he's not, he's like 12 or something, and he doesn't even meet up with the group so he can say, "Sorry, I'm here, you have to use me," instead, you go directly to Maribelle and put yourself in a corner on high ground. Against the Plegians, the country of people that is led by Garon, the crazy, bloodthirsty monster who starts wars for funsies. No. Just no.

So that's how Gooron came to be! The real Garon decided Nohr was a cesspit and took the kingship of Plegia instead since he thought Grima's litterbox was better off. 

I find Ricken to be worse than Miriel since besides joining later, he has low Speed, a vital state for a fragile offense-oriented unit like a mage to do their job. His Str and Def leads don't make up for it, and he has no magical alternate classes for the no-grind ingame, whereas Miriel has nothing but magical classes.

I also dislike him as being a poor Merric in general. I like the archetype, and Soren, Asbel, and Merric himself (as well as lesser emanations of the archetype if such exist) are just way better than him and Hayato. Two other things: Ricken has no support with Chrom, despite the two appearing to be friends; and given gameplay numbers, the idea that Aversa was fazed by Ricken's Elwind casting is a laugh.

I vaguely recall his Henry support as being good though, that I will say. I don't think the Gregor support was so good though.

Is it fair to say that same-sex supports (barring Robin/Corrin) in 13 & 14 are significantly better written on the whole than opposite sex ones?

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So that's how Gooron came to be! The real Garon decided Nohr was a cesspit and took the kingship of Plegia instead since he thought Grima's litterbox was better off. 

I find Ricken to be worse than Miriel since besides joining later, he has low Speed, a vital state for a fragile offense-oriented unit like a mage to do their job. His Str and Def leads don't make up for it, and he has no magical alternate classes for the no-grind ingame, whereas Miriel has nothing but magical classes.

I also dislike him as being a poor Merric in general. I like the archetype, and Soren, Asbel, and Merric himself (as well as lesser emanations of the archetype if such exist) are just way better than him and Hayato. Two other things: Ricken has no support with Chrom, despite the two appearing to be friends; and given gameplay numbers, the idea that Aversa was fazed by Ricken's Elwind casting is a laugh.

I vaguely recall his Henry support as being good though, that I will say. I don't think the Gregor support was so good though.

Is it fair to say that same-sex supports (barring Robin/Corrin) in 13 & 14 are significantly better written on the whole than opposite sex ones?

Well... Opposite sex ones are writing in masse (Every characters need like 14 of these supports, and many of them developed using the characters' traits and gimmicks)... With the Same-sex Supports it's more control.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:47 PM, Florina's #1 Fan said:

I agree with you on Nowi. Her supports I actually really like, especially her and Nah's. Nowi can be mature, but she'd rather make others feel better by being the optimist. She appears childish, but she actually takes things like an adult, which is shown in Tharja's support with her, and in Gregor's, she displays a selfless nature when she gives him a sweater of her dragon scales. She is also an incredibly good unit, if a bit tough to raise up and a little risky to use because you can't buy dragonstones for a while.

But Ricken... I just... I can't handle Ricken. If I wanted a weaker Miriel with extra defense, I'd use Tharja. But I don't. He reclasses into physical classes with a 30% strength growth and a base strength of 3, so have fun getting him skills :\ The fact that he comes with wind magic and thinks that he can rescue Maribelle from the king of Plegia's army with it, I can't fathom how one would possibly be intelligent and still come up with that. He disobeys Chrom to try and prove to him that he is good enough to be a shepherd even though he's not, he's like 12 or something, and he doesn't even meet up with the group so he can say, "Sorry, I'm here, you have to use me," instead, you go directly to Maribelle and put yourself in a corner on high ground. Against the Plegians, the country of people that is led by Garon, the crazy, bloodthirsty monster who starts wars for funsies. No. Just no.

This is the picture I use for Ricken (it does have the F-bomb in it, I apologize):

Reveal hidden contents

59d51e6e514e7_NotBuildaBearRicken.thumb.jpeg.aa57bd8ff626dba46e41de2aa91156c3.jpeg

Ahaha, I love that picture!

But, yes, I understand where you're coming from. Ricken's "I'm a capable adult, shut up!!!" trait is something that is greatly overplayed, and it's frustrating because that's almost all you see of him outside supports. So many of his other, cooler, more interesting personality traits--struggling with the morality of war and combat, his admiration of Chrom and the reasons for it, his pride in and dedication to his family, his insatiable curiosity, how he bases almost his entire view of himself on how others view him, the contrast between his desire to be respected (by Chrom and by others as well) and these childhood pleasures that he still wants to enjoy and cherish, yadda yadda yadda--are just kinda tamped down into supports and hidden by weird stats and incentives to use other mages instead. (He's lucky I'm so biased towards mages that I always use them. Haha!)

And Nowi...oh, Nowi just warms my heart. She's been through so much, and yet she still tries so hard to make people happy. Love that girl! I just love her!

On 10/4/2017 at 2:20 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Ricken's a fairly decent shota but that's also a bit of a weakness. Ricken fills the shota role well....but also does nothing more. In a series that got kids like Nils, Tormod, Sothe, Rolf, Morgan and Raigh that's a little bit of a downgrade. 

Unlike the loli's the shota's generally get traits that go beyond their shota status. Ricken doesn't. I still like him but he loses out compared to what came before. 

I think that his supports with Lissa, Miriel, Panne, and Henry all do good jobs of displaying his other character traits.

On 10/4/2017 at 3:34 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

His support with Henry is wonderful! One of my all-time favorites. In addition to the ones I mentioned above, his support with Olivia is also really fun and nice, even if not too substantial. It's just...it's just really cute... (Also, you're right, why doesn't he have a support with Chrom? Their Summer Scramble conversation isn't even really that good, and I feel cheated.)

I'm not particularly savvy on the FE14 supports, but I think a lot of the opposite-sex supports suffer from shoehorned romance. I usually don't pay much attention to S-Supports because they tend to make the support sequence feel dragged-on and less conclusive (or, all the development they make throughout the chain is thrown out the window; See: Nowi & Kellam)--and on the other hand, there are supports that aren't really complete without their S-Support! (See: Henry & Nowi) Sometimes the fact that almost every character supports with every other character of the opposite sex (with certain Chrom/Sumia/Robinsexual exceptions) also puts a damper on things, because some of the pairs just...aren't very compatible, you feel? Whereas the characters of the same sex that they support with are picked out particularly for their character chemistry. Or maybe it's for their stats. I don't know much about stats.

I don't think Micaiah is a Mary Sue. In fact, I believe the worshipping the Daein people have for her is perfectly justifiable. She not only has mystical powers that heal others without the need of a staff or any other instrument (which could associate her to a special person or a saint, real life examples of the later are plenty), but she represents a resistance against Begnion's despotic regime, even more so after she joins Pelleas' army and is used as a figurehead for Daein. Given the miserable situation the citizens are in, it is also no wonder that they look for someone to idolize and help with their problems, which is the role Micaiah is quick to take. She is the right person at the right place and the right time, basically, and this is why it worked out so well for her.

RD!Ike even less so.

I don't like Akaneia or pretty much any character from the Marth Emblems, with Marth himself not being an exception. I admit that some are ok but don't get much development because those games are archaic (which is not a justification for still sucking in FE11 and 12), but yeah, Akaneia's pretty bad in any department that matters for FE, and it's ridiculous how we have such a boring character as the icon of the series.

I'm ok with Blood Pacts.

I don't mind characters that are evil "for the evil", because it is perfectly reasonable to be evil for your own selfish gains, self-preservation and climbing up the status ladder. Villains don't need a backstory where their kitty died when they were a child and then they turned evil. This is not the same as saying characters should be one dimensional, however.

I prefer Lilina over Lugh any time of the day.

I think Takumi was wrong when he shot Elise in early Conquest, not because she is young and cute and whatever, but because he was shooting the medic. She was also harmless, and I reject your canon where she's a level 20 Wyvern Rider by that chapter after grinding and reclassing shenanigans took place to refute this point. Shooting any of the armed and dangerous individuals right in front of him would be much less cowardly than going for the healer.

Ryoma's strategy of asking Corrin to join their side to allow Elise to get treatment was also morally wrong for using blackmail to hold an advantage over someone else. His bargain was also selfish: He didn't ask for anything that would help them in battle, but for Corrin to join his side, when he could've asked for something that'd give him some leverage in the war. Yes, I know Corrin is magical and does stuff in Fates. I'm not taking this into consideration, especially because Corrin was very mediocre at that time of the story to have any relevance. It wasn't a very sound request.

15 hours ago, Rapier said:

I don't like Akaneia or pretty much any character from the Marth Emblems, with Marth himself not being an exception. I admit that some are ok but don't get much development because those games are archaic (which is not a justification for still sucking in FE11 and 12), but yeah, Akaneia's pretty bad in any department that matters for FE, and it's ridiculous how we have such a boring character as the icon of the series.

Right, I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on this, and I know that I won't be able to change your opinion but I'll be damned if I don't try, so apologies in advance if I offend you, okay? I don't mean to.

I completely understand that many Archanean characters don't have a lot of development. This is due to the lack of supports in SD, don't worry, it's a criticism nearly everyone has, myself included. But how can you say that "Archanea is pretty bad in any department that matters for FE"? What matters for FE? World building? Because I can assure you Archanea has plenty of that, SD in particular has an amazing narrative perspective that makes the game feel like a true war epic. Archanea stands out for truly feeling like a war torn land, because you've got several villagers outright telling Marth that not everyone supports the opposing side. Everyone is fighting, and it's just so fantastic.

I agree that Archanea feels archaic...because it is. The remakes suffer from being too faithful to the originals, but it works in a way. The language used makes the games feel like it's set in the medieval times...because it is.

And I can assure you, friend, that Marth is far from boring. I absolutely hate it when people call lords boring, especially the two who get called it the most, Marth and Roy, because they aren't. Marth starts out as a what...14 year old sheltered Prince who wakes up one morning to find that his world has been turned upside down. He's forced to go into exile and leave his older sister behind. We can also see that he knows how to be rather compelling at a young age, "I will not be ordered about under my own castle roof" is something that he more or less says to the enemy soldiers. This boy...this child, takes on a lot at the end of the prologue, he thinks himself a craven for leaving his people behind. Two years later, and the sheltered Prince is no more. What we have now is a Prince who is out for revenge. He sees the world as black and white, until he speaks to a villager that makes him realise that even the citizens of the enemy forces don't want to fight, so he grows from that. He's also shown to be quite smart, it's implied that most of the strategies his army uses are his own. 16 years old and already leading an army. Once he retakes Altea, he shows true emotional strength. After learning that his mother was slain, he puts off mourning in order to see his people - this 16 year old puts his people first. He fights to stop himself from crying, as the game states. He's also a really good leader, seeing as he leads the largest army in any FE game.

After the war, it's shown that he is an absolute dork when it comes to his feelings for Caeda as he cannot spit it out, but the most interesting part is just before with his conversation with Nyna. It's heavily implied that the reason that he can't confess to Caeda is because he knows that he is one of the two candidates to marry Nyna. He's the one who fought for Archanea, putting him a step above Hardin. But I feel like the only reason why Nyna married Hardin was because she saw how Marth felt for Caeda. This shows that Marth puts everything first rather than his own happiness.

Then we go into NMotE but I don't want to talk about that game because Kris weakens Marth's character and it's painful to even think about it.

I probably haven't convinced you, and I'm not good at writing essays and such, but...Marth is my all time favourite character, so...please understand. I think he fully deserves to be the 'icon' of the series because, well...he's the original. He set the standards, but whilst other lords have surpassed the standards, he is still a really great character.

2 hours ago, Lau said:

I probably haven't convinced you, and I'm not good at writing essays and such, but...Marth is my all time favourite character, so...please understand. I think he fully deserves to be the 'icon' of the series because, well...he's the original. He set the standards, but whilst other lords have surpassed the standards, he is still a really great character.

I just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU for writing out how I felt better than I could have, lol.

Archanea is hands down my favorite cast, and I've spent time with all of them.

13 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU for writing out how I felt better than I could have, lol.

Archanea is hands down my favorite cast, and I've spent time with all of them.

Hahah, no worries! I thought I was just rambling, but hey ho.

I'll do anything to defend the Archaneans, and I pray every day that they get the Echoes treatment.

20 hours ago, Rapier said:

You are aware that all the FE games copy everything from Archanea? Elibe in particular is a pathetic ripoff.

5 hours ago, L9999 said:

You are aware that all the FE games copy everything from Archanea? Elibe in particular is a pathetic ripoff.

Sharing similar tropes is not the same as being a copy, but I agree that FE6 takes a lot from Akaneia (intentionally, since post-Kaga Emblems tried to return to their roots). It is still better written, and so are the characters (which I don't blame FE3 for, since it is a very old game, but the remakes don't get that excuse).

@Lau

Nice post. Sorry if I sounded too hostile or condescending, I'll take your arguments and try to give them the proper consideration that I think they deserve.

You see, the issue with Akaneia is not the characters themselves or the world, it is the narrative and worldbuilding. No matter how amazingly built the story and characters are, if I am not shown it, it might as well be meaningless.

Yes, we have a war torn continent and people from the other side that are discontent with the situation of the continent, we have some parts where Marth shows some character development (which is mostly in the beginning of the game, because there they actually bothered to write stuff, and in a few isolated scenes during his megacampaign), but are those things actually explored upon and detailed? No, they aren't. The Akaneia games went with the quantity over quality mentality, which is responsible for the small development of its own world. It tried to overdo with loads and loads of characters and a grand scale war but instead made a world and characters that aren't fleshed out, except for the few important ones, and even they don't get much fleshing out compared to the rest of the FE series. Therefore, Akaneia is bland for the most part, and it's understandable why I don't like it much.

I admit that Marth gets some good development, and that when there is some fleshing out in Akaneia, the writing is good (I personally like Abel and Est's relationship, Hardin's descent into darkness, Marth's development), but that's very rare overall. I might give the Akaneia manga a try (I only saw a few chapters of it) as it expands some things from its world and fleshes out some of its characters, but judging from what I see from the games alone, Akaneia is very bland and lacking, and so are most of its characters.

19 hours ago, ore no stando da said:

I think Manaketes are the dumbest thing in the FE universe, I guess that would be my opinion. I just thiiiink people like dragongirls but I've never really asked about manaketes :o

I find manaketes fascinating as a species, not just for the dragon girls (and please don't take that the wrong way). Many like me would prefer male manaketes be added, too. Really, their appeal to me is the whole transformation into dragon thing; you know, the main draw of them.

2 hours ago, Rapier said:

Sharing similar tropes is not the same as being a copy, but I agree that FE6 takes a lot from Akaneia (intentionally, since post-Kaga Emblems tried to return to their roots). It is still better written, and so are the characters (which I don't blame FE3 for, since it is a very old game, but the remakes don't get that excuse).

@Lau

Nice post. Sorry if I sounded too hostile or condescending, I'll take your arguments and try to give them the proper consideration that I think they deserve.

You see, the issue with Akaneia is not the characters themselves or the world, it is the narrative and worldbuilding. No matter how amazingly built the story and characters are, if I am not shown it, it might as well be meaningless.

Yes, we have a war torn continent and people from the other side that are discontent with the situation of the continent, we have some parts where Marth shows some character development (which is mostly in the beginning of the game, because there they actually bothered to write stuff, and in a few isolated scenes during his megacampaign), but are those things actually explored upon and detailed? No, they aren't. The Akaneia games went with the quantity over quality mentality, which is responsible for the small development of its own world. It tried to overdo with loads and loads of characters and a grand scale war but instead made a world and characters that aren't fleshed out, except for the few important ones, and even they don't get much fleshing out compared to the rest of the FE series. Therefore, Akaneia is bland for the most part, and it's understandable why I don't like it much.

I admit that Marth gets some good development, and that when there is some fleshing out in Akaneia, the writing is good (I personally like Abel and Est's relationship, Hardin's descent into darkness, Marth's development), but that's very rare overall. I might give the Akaneia manga a try (I only saw a few chapters of it) as it expands some things from its world and fleshes out some of its characters, but judging from what I see from the games alone, Akaneia is very bland and lacking, and so are most of its characters.

No, no, you didn't sound hostile or condescending at all, so don't worry about that :)

I completely agree that Archanea as a whole lacks development, but I just really disagree that it's bland. Archanea took the route of giving very little development to the cast as a whole, but instead, focusing it on a handful of characters, and the development there is is fantastic. But even the characters who didn't get a lot of development have enough so you can get a firm grasp of their characters - take Bantu for example. He shows up in one village, and you recruit him, but already you know that he has been around for a long time, meaning that he's wise, but also the fact that he's searching for Tiki, showing that he's not interested in the conflict, but instead has his own motives. Or take Bord and Cord. They're woodcutters/pirates, suggesting that they're strong, but they're also loyal enough to Ogma to join him in a freaking war,

I'd say that Archanea uses a 'read between the lines' approach with its characters. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does.

As for Archanea itself as a continent...I feel like the whole legend of Anri adds to it greatly. You have a single man who went to slay a ton of dragons by himself, all to win the love of a Princess. Already we know that Archanea is pretty damn old and that dragons were living there. Later on, we learn that the dragons were slowly...degenerating for lack of better word, as we learn from Xane and Gotoh. From this we can learn that the dragons caused a lot of havoc on the continent, so on, so forth.

I can't write much more now as I don't have a lot of time, but I have one question for you, just out of simple curiosity.

If Archanea received the Echoes treatment, would you play it?

On 04/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, secondaryhenry said:

They are atleast miles better than Miriel. I have no idea who thought of that character in the first place. She's just horrible.

I prefer Ricken because he's just a better character.

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

They are atleast miles better than Miriel. I have no idea who thought of that character in the first place. She's just horrible.

I prefer Ricken because he's just a better character.

Certainly. Miriel, while I admire her dedication to her studies and continuing her mother's legacy, comes off as rather one-note. How unfortunate it is!

On 10/6/2017 at 5:35 PM, Rapier said:

I don't mind characters that are evil "for the evil", because it is perfectly reasonable to be evil for your own selfish gains, self-preservation and climbing up the status ladder. Villains don't need a backstory where their kitty died when they were a child and then they turned evil. This is not the same as saying characters should be one dimensional, however.

Just going to put it out there that having a reason to be evil (selfishness, etc) means that a characters is not being evil just to be evil. Being selfish, or seeking power, or seeking personal gain are all fine motives for a villain to be evil. I'm going to contrast this to the Grimleal and its leaders. They seek to raise Grima... why? Does anyone know? I sure don't. That is a case in which the villains are being evil "for the evil," and, in my opinion, makes for bad storytelling. Nearly every other FE villain at least has a motive, no matter how dumb.

35 minutes ago, DolphinDingus said:

I'm going to contrast this to the Grimleal and its leaders. They seek to raise Grima... why? Does anyone know? I sure don't. That is a case in which the villains are being evil "for the evil," and, in my opinion, makes for bad storytelling. Nearly every other FE villain at least has a motive, no matter how dumb.

I always figured that the Grimleal leaders were under the "control" of Grima, because of the scene where Validar mind-control summons all the followers of Grima to aide him in battle against the Shepherds. Sooomething like that. (It's still pretty weak reasoning, though. And just what are the extent of Grima's powers?)

2 hours ago, secondaryhenry said:

Certainly. Miriel, while I admire her dedication to her studies and continuing her mother's legacy, comes off as rather one-note. How unfortunate it is!

She's literally just a less interesting, one-dimensional version of Canas.

Whereas Canas uses his love of books and studying to teach Nino how to read, be a nerd fanboy with Pent, world-build with Renault, and discuss the weaknesses of being such a nerd with Bartre(Though this one's a bit more of a goofy support), Miriel uses her love of books and studying to... tell everyone how much she loves books and studying. Pretty much all of her supports are on the level of Canas/Vaida, far and away Canas' worst support chain.

Haha, didn't catch that Garon thing XD Which is surprising because I always catch mistakes like that. Um, I just wanted to say:

I love Miriel, but she is a little flat. That's part of the point, though, she is socially inept and her supports should feel weaker because she doesn't connect with anyone. She even has trouble admitting romantic feelings in S rank supports, which is a breath of fresh air to me because I feel like the 3DS FE games are just breeding grounds or something. Ew.

And I also think the Arachnea games are just... old and boring. I get the same vibe from them as I do the Kanto Pokemon games. I've played newer games that have the same features, but improved, and it makes the older/original game feel so cripplingly ancient that I just don't want to play it. And that isn't to say I don't like some of the characters, I personally like Jeorge and Linde a lot (mostly because of Heroes, but still), but there are things that I have been spoiled with in newer games, like supports and the weapon triangle, basic things that make me think "I'm playing Fire Emblem." And Arachnea doesn't have those things :/

1 hour ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

I love Miriel, but she is a little flat. That's part of the point, though, she is socially inept and her supports should feel weaker because she doesn't connect with anyone. She even has trouble admitting romantic feelings in S rank supports, which is a breath of fresh air to me because I feel like the 3DS FE games are just breeding grounds or something. Ew.

This happens in a lot of Awakening/Fates S rank supports, though. Especially when the pairing makes little sense and the writers are trying to work in a romantic conversation between people who have had purely platonic conversations.

Edited by Slumber