What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Also wrt Archanea world building, FE3 gameplay story integration is actually fantastic, arguably the best in the entire series

Well the dragon mythos is good, and the rest of the world isn't too shabby either. I will admit that Archanea is certainly better than Awakening and Fates and Magvel- games where they never even tried to build a world. Archanea is below the top duo of Tellius and Jugdral, probably 3rd on the list, with Elibe competing for the slot (although it's the weaker of the two). I'll make a redaction on this.

On the WT, I do recall Merciless making Lances fairly inaccurate early on, but after, Mannu I think is the last axe heavy battle, the accuracy issue doesn't really exist now does it? Instead, what becomes an issue is how weak Swords are. 

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Awakening, Fates, and Heroes all reached more than 1 million...

One of those is FtP. The other is 2-3 ish games under the same label. Of course, I don't know the sales numbers, so I can't say how much is people buying multiple versions and not distinct consumers.

14 minutes ago, secondaryhenry said:

Right? He looks cool.

He looks totally inhuman, while not owning it and making it look diabolical or menacing. Darkness can corrupt the flesh, I get that. Manfroy is likely alive due to darkness preserving him alone (I say this since he looks old in Gen 1, and hasn't aged a day in Gen 2), but thank goodness he managed to avoid flesh modification. Jedah, can't say I like him, but the blue skin is more, explicable? Than Validar's unreal and jokeish limbs. For some reason I get "Aladdin" from him, which doesn't help either. When he "perishes" in the vision sequence, I'm just like "yeah, you're not human". 

1 hour ago, Lau said:

Ephraim and Eirika are just...eh. They're not interesting in the slightest. Ephraim just cones across as a cocky cliche "I want to be a warrior" Prince, whilst Eirika is just...there.

Sacred Stones is a chore to play through. The way the narration is worded is god awful, it's always "Eirika didn't know what to do." Or "They travelled". It's too basic, and it feels like a children's book. The story didn't pick up until the whole Joshua arc on Eirika's side, and that was what? 14 chapters in? That's not good. I'm on chapter 17 of Eirika's route and have yet to play Ephraim's path, and I've just lost the motivation to go on, and that's the first time a FE game has done that. I want to like Sacred Stones. I want to like Ephraim and Eirika, but I'm just not feeling it.

If you like challenges, Ephraim's route is a bit tougher than Eirika's, so that may be something. Also, yeah, Ephraim's ridiculously unrealistic considering the guy took an entire castle with only himself and three horsemen.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Don't bother. @Armagon isn't gonna change his attitude any time soon. He's got a raging hate boner for everything Jugdral(Particularly FE4), and he wants to show it to everyone he can.

He's actually worse than @Harveyand FE6 at the moment.

…It's sounding like you want to watch the two of them rage or something. You could just say "Armagon really doesn't like Genealogy and Harvey really doesn't like Binding Blade, leave them alone about those games" as opposed to this. Also, if that's considered a raging hate boner, then I'm not sure what you'd call my dislike for Mario because it's worse than both of those two.

Just now, SoulWeaver said:

…It's sounding like you want to watch the two of them rage or something. You could just say "Armagon really doesn't like Genealogy and Harvey really doesn't like Binding Blade, leave them alone about those games" as opposed to this. Also, if that's considered a raging hate boner, then I'm not sure what you'd call my dislike for Mario because it's worse than both of those two.

It's been happening for probably two months now, where Armagon says how much he dislikes FE4, and anything related to it, in any thread he can. It goes beyond "dislike".

Just now, Slumber said:

It's been happening for probably two months now, where Armagon says how much he dislikes FE4, and anything related to it, in any thread he can. It goes beyond "dislike".

Still, does it need to be worded like your first statement? A simple "don't try and argue anything Genealogy" would have got the same point across without looking like you're trying to pick a fight.

And as I wish they'd stop with Mario entirely and remove him and all characters from his games(except Yoshi. Yoshi gets to live) from all crossover material and drop him as the company mascot, plus rage whenever we get ANOTHER Mario game, I'd say mine goes beyond 'dislike' as well, I just like to keep that hatred bottled up inside where it can fester and get nice and toxic for when I really need it.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

Still, does it need to be worded like your first statement? A simple "don't try and argue anything Genealogy" would have got the same point across without looking like you're trying to pick a fight.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm not dumb enough to try to argue with him over FE4 when there'd be no point.

I'm simply tired.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

And as I wish they'd stop with Mario entirely and remove him and all characters from his games(except Yoshi. Yoshi gets to live) from all crossover material and drop him as the company mascot, plus rage whenever we get ANOTHER Mario game, I'd say mine goes beyond 'dislike' as well, I just like to keep that hatred bottled up inside where it can fester and get nice and toxic for when I really need it.

If that isn't sarcasm, I'd recommend trying to purge thyself of hatred or tone it down. VG characters aren't worth developing bitterness over, if you must hate, try to save it for real injustice in the world. For those in real life who really are worthy of being hated and disliked. Who? Murderers for instance, and rapists, and other nasty people, but I won't say more b/c that belongs in Serious Discussion. Fill life with good emotions when you can, save the taste of bitterness for what life throws at you, dark chocolate and bell peppers.

19 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'm simply tired.

Eh. It happens, sorry to hear that, man.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If that isn't sarcasm, I'd recommend trying to purge thyself of hatred or tone it down. VG characters aren't worth developing bitterness over, if you must hate, try to save it for real injustice in the world. For those in real life who really are worthy of being hated and disliked. Who? Murderers for instance, and rapists, and other nasty people, but I won't say more b/c that belongs in Serious Discussion. Fill life with good emotions when you can, save the taste of bitterness for what life throws at you, dark chocolate and bell peppers.

Most of it isn't - I don't necessarily rage, per se, but I do get frustrated that sometimes it seems like Nintendo can't let even one year go by without another Mario game of some kind being announced if not also released. I don't mind the Kart and Party games, but the rest…too much of a good thing is still too much of a good thing. I'm also bugged because we had to get Super Mario Run before Fire Emblem Heroes when SMR is literally just Mario on a phone but you can't turn around. And then there's the 10 or so Mario universe characters in Smash 4, making 1/6th to 1/5th of the roster Mario(DK, Wario, and Yoshi count for this btw), which also felt ridiculous.

As for hatred, eh, I hold the persona of The Eternally Raging RoyBoy© 3/4ths of the year, I get ticked off about all kinds of things that deserve it in real life and still have plenty of rage left over for VG characters. Also no, I'm actually not that rage-y in real life, even about Mario or Our Boi™, just exasperated or worn out most of the time.

Edited by SoulWeaver
clarification

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

VG characters aren't worth developing bitterness over, if you must hate, try to save it for real injustice in the world. For those in real life who really are worthy of being hated and disliked. Who? Murderers for instance, and rapists, and other nasty people, but I won't say more b/c that belongs in Serious Discussion. Fill life with good emotions when you can, save the taste of bitterness for what life throws at you, dark chocolate and bell peppers.

Someone finally said it. Thank you, Observer of the Multiverse

16 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'm also bugged because we had to get Super Mario Run before Fire Emblem Heroes when SMR is literally just Mario on a phone but you can't turn around. And then there's the 10 or so Mario universe characters in Smash 4, making 1/6th to 1/5th of the roster Mario(DK, Wario, and Yoshi count for this btw), which also felt ridiculous.

For Smash, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, DK and Wario (although he really needs another Wario Land to stay relevant- I liked Shake It!) are fine for me. Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are the most objectionable additions, since Rosalina is a "flavor of the month" being only important in Galaxy. Bowser Jr. is a secondary character really. DK, Yoshi and Wario have developed their own franchises apart from good old Mario platformers. Diddy is the limbo char here, since he originated in Donkey Kong Country- the game that made DK it's own Persona-situation-esque spinoff series. I think Rosalina and BJ got added for the sake of adding new Mario characters to make that part of the roster fresh, just as Greninja did for Pokemon. And yet Zelda stagnated in Smash 4 with its four/five, no "flavor of the month" added there.

As for Super Mario Run releasing first, Heroes was supposed to release in December (the same month as SMR) or before that I've heard. Hence the Christmas Tharja and M!Robin datamine. Why was it delayed? I don't know.

On other Mario games- well the idea behind the NSMB series wasn't bad. Mario was overdue for a new traditional 2D platformer, and once they got out the DS original, they ran with it and continued to make more, even if the formula revived became the formula stagnated over time (but the Luigi variant of NSMB was thrilling with its strict time limits).

On the non-Kart sports-side of the Mario world. I guess Nintendo wants to make sure you don't go a generation without a given sport being available, even if the sporting game in question isn't necessarily top quality.

I think M&L and PM can take a break for now. We've had enough. Let the series sleep, desire among fans grow, and when time comes to make more, take the process slowly and try crafting something novel.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I will admit that Archanea is certainly better than Awakening and Fates and Magvel- games where they never even tried to build a world. Archanea is below the top duo of Tellius and Jugdral, probably 3rd on the list, with Elibe competing for the slot (although it's the weaker of the two). I'll make a redaction on this.

I'll look forward to it because I think you got some explaining to do there ;):

FE7 is meh.

Tharja is just the worst character.

Yes worse than Peri because people actually like Tharja for some reason and that makes it so much worse.

Boat maps aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Faye is a fine character, not amazing but fine.

The Zephiel stuff and really just the entire Bern arc is the only interesting part of FE7.

Lucina is way more interesting than Lyn and comparing them is asinine. 

The Eleb games have my least favorite art style.

Nergal is not as deep as people make him out to be.

Edited by greencapps

Plenty of people (including me!) would say that Nergal is not deep in the slightest.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

One of those is FtP. The other is 2-3 ish games under the same label. Of course, I don't know the sales numbers, so I can't say how much is people buying multiple versions and not distinct consumers.

FEH being FtP doesn't change the fact that it has been played by over a million people (~10M downloads, though hard to say how many of those are repeats; no way it's over 90% though), and made money equivalent to 2-3M sales of a 3DS game.

Fates sold 1.8 million distinct copies. Downloaded content, which includes people adding Birthright/Conquest onto their existing purchase as well as every single purchase of Revelation, do not count towards that figure. It's a million seller even if you remove the (presumably small) number of people who bought separate physical copies of each path for collection purposes.

Awakening also sold 1.8M.

The series has had three million sellers in its last four entries (if we exclude TMS).

10 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Plenty of people (including me!) would say that Nergal is not deep in the slightest.

Well I've seen people arguing otherwise. Even going as far to say he's better than every 3DS villain, including SoV, combined. Which is just ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well the dragon mythos is good, and the rest of the world isn't too shabby either. I will admit that Archanea is certainly better than Awakening and Fates and Magvel- games where they never even tried to build a world. Archanea is below the top duo of Tellius and Jugdral, probably 3rd on the list, with Elibe competing for the slot (although it's the weaker of the two). I'll make a redaction on this.

On the WT, I do recall Merciless making Lances fairly inaccurate early on, but after, Mannu I think is the last axe heavy battle, the accuracy issue doesn't really exist now does it? Instead, what becomes an issue is how weak Swords are.

Yeah what i meant about it is along the lines of "WT is irrelevant that the one case where its relevant happen to be such a big deal it overrides everything else".  The one time WT happen to matters was when you are fighting the early game overpowered enemies that your Javelin Chip means life and death. I mean i dare say without WT, Gomer and Hyman won't be all that hard. Current Gomer and Hyman is bar none the hardest and most overpowered Boss in the entire series. Mind since WT is directly related with WRB, Sword had bar none the best WRB of the three class, so i kinda think they benefit from WT due to that WRB

Or maybe my mind is too blank after trying to use Javelin against those bitch Silver Axe Bandits and Hero in FE12, but thats just how i see WT in DSFE. 

What i love about Mystery saga is how well they deliver what they described, stuff like Chapter 2 Dracoknights, chapter 8, and of course, chapter 20 is a perfectly delivery in gameplay on what the situation supposed to be. This is a far cry from FE7 and its legendary "Assassin guild -> Made of 90% Cavalry"

Awakening has a better soundtrack than Fates.

Also Lost in Thoughts All Alone is cringeworthy and overrated. How can you take a song seriously that's trying to be serious and poetic when it name drops the games it's talking about? Other than that the song is fine just not as special as some claim.

19 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Awakening, Fates, and Heroes all reached more than 1 million...

Last I checked, they are not at 2 million. I mean sure, they are halfway to 2 but regardless, its still not more than 1 I think.

And like I said, Heroes is an exception due to its......structure.

5 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Last I checked, they are not at 2 million. I mean sure, they are halfway to 2 but regardless, its still not more than 1 I think.

And like I said, Heroes is an exception due to its......structure.

What?  1 million isn't 2 million.  None of this statement makes any sense.

22 hours ago, Harvey said:

I am beginning to realize that FE games will never have a chance to reach more than 1 million even if it wants to.

7 minutes ago, Harvey said:

???????

It's if more than 1 million but is not 2 million but it's halfway to 2 million, then that implies it's at least 1.5 million......which is more than 1 million. Literally simple math.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Why are you moving your goalposts?

Because when I said that FE can't reach more than 1 million, a lot have said that three games have reached more than a million.

Point is that seeing how low Echoes sold, its chances of doing more than it has to is quite low and a wonder of how FE can be bigger or on par with something like even Xenoblade.

13 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Because when I said that FE can't reach more than 1 million, a lot have said that three games have reached more than a million.

Point is that seeing how low Echoes sold, its chances of doing more than it has to is quite low and a wonder of how FE can be bigger or on par with something like even Xenoblade.

And if there was a FE that sold more than 3M, you would have been asking for 5M next?

E:SoV didn’t sell low, it sold exactly how they were expecting it to sell. This is an important distinction.