What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

50 minutes ago, MisfitMiju said:

What do you think holds eliwood and Eirika back in the writing department

In the main story Eliwood is a bit of a blank slate with his only inclination of any actual emotion being him snapping at Zephiel's mom. When both his father and Ninian died his actions felt both by the numbers and stiff at the same time. Instead of swinging wildly trying to kill Nergal like a normal person would he just kinda stares there looking mad. I know there is a ton of subtext that you could technically read into but I both don't care enough about the character to read into it and it kinda just feels like you're grasping at straws to excuse poor writing. And because this seems to come up a lot when talking about Eliwood, yes I have seen Ghast's support science, yes it's a good video, yes I like Ghast, no I do not think it makes up for Blazing Blade's crappy writing. If they ever make a remake I hope they can make him more interesting but for now he's just ehh.

I'll admit I haven't played Erika's path but from what I've seen she seems to suffer from Celica syndrome. She may be a fine character, have fine writing most of the time, hell she could even have her badass moments, but when the plot needs her to she'll make just the stupidest decisions so the plot can advance which just ruins all she has going for her. Ephriam may be a bit of a Mary Sue but at least he stood his ground against Lyon and tried to hide the stone from him. Also her in game convo sprite thing makes her look way too young and less confident than her box art self. The box art maker her look like an adult who has her shit together but in game she's almost the exact opposite. Again maybe a remake could make me like her more but for now she's just not well written.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Hey she's definitely my favorite character, most definitely gameplay and personality and to me relatibility, but there are stronger characters in echoes. Valbar, Clair, and Celica/Alm to name a few. But I still like Delthea the best out of the roster.

I can respect that. I won't deny there are better characters.

4 hours ago, Greencapps said:

And there we go again with ignoring what I actually said.

Ok this debate is over. You refuse to find any common ground even when I literally tell you what common ground we have.

I'm done.

Well, there's your mistake, I was trying to make a point, not find common ground.

12 hours ago, Greencapps said:

In the main story Eliwood is a bit of a blank slate with his only inclination of any actual emotion being him snapping at Zephiel's mom. When both his father and Ninian died his actions felt both by the numbers and stiff at the same time. Instead of swinging wildly trying to kill Nergal like a normal person would he just kinda stares there looking mad. I know there is a ton of subtext that you could technically read into but I both don't care enough about the character to read into it and it kinda just feels like you're grasping at straws to excuse poor writing. And because this seems to come up a lot when talking about Eliwood, yes I have seen Ghast's support science, yes it's a good video, yes I like Ghast, no I do not think it makes up for Blazing Blade's crappy writing. If they ever make a remake I hope they can make him more interesting but for now he's just ehh.

I'll admit I haven't played Erika's path but from what I've seen she seems to suffer from Celica syndrome. She may be a fine character, have fine writing most of the time, hell she could even have her badass moments, but when the plot needs her to she'll make just the stupidest decisions so the plot can advance which just ruins all she has going for her. Ephriam may be a bit of a Mary Sue but at least he stood his ground against Lyon and tried to hide the stone from him. Also her in game convo sprite thing makes her look way too young and less confident than her box art self. The box art maker her look like an adult who has her shit together but in game she's almost the exact opposite. Again maybe a remake could make me like her more but for now she's just not well written.

Eliwood had that problem of being the most well off lord amongst 2 problematic ones honestly. Someone once mentioned how terrible Hector really is without Eliwood and i sorta agree with it

I don't get how it makes sense for warriors to be able to use bows. It just doesn't make any sense when

1. Their skills for the most part are low even upon promoting into a warrior so if they already have issues hitting, how does using bows make it any better for them in the long run?
  2. Hand axe and Tomahawks are almost better preferred than bows due to the fact that as soon as you get fighters promoted, warriors start with E rank in bows which means that you're stuck with weak bows that aren't even on par with that of a hand axe besides hit rates.
  3. The hand axe pretty much fixes warriors their range issues so why a bow weapon type of all?

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

I don't get how it makes sense for warriors to be able to use bows. It just doesn't make any sense when

1. Their skills for the most part are low even upon promoting into a warrior so if they already have issues hitting, how does using bows make it any better for them in the long run?
  2. Hand axe and Tomahawks are almost better preferred than bows due to the fact that as soon as you get fighters promoted, warriors start with E rank in bows which means that you're stuck with weak bows that aren't even on par with that of a hand axe besides hit rates.
  3. The hand axe pretty much fixes warriors their range issues so why a bow weapon type of all?

Its exactly because of point 1. The logic with Bow Warriors are along the lines of min maxing, where Warriors have enough power back up to make the bow hits hard regardless while at the same time having the accuracy from the weapon fix their lower accuracy

Lets not understate the difference here. If Hand Axe have 60 ACC, and Bow have 90 ACC you get 15 swing in the stats. Its for a good reason that some of the best Archer in the series are in fact this big burly warriors. Dagda is one of the series greatest Archer. Bartre would be a monster had he have Bow Rank, to the point of arguably making Klein looks dumb

A part of this is because of how Fire Emblem works but if theres a choice between character who have STR/SKL distribution of 6/3 and 3/6 the better user of Bow is the 6/3. In a sense the best stats lineout a character want to have to be a great Archer, if they can't choose them all is Berserker esque where they had high STR and SPD while dropping skill

For reference, this is the statsline one of the 5 best Archer in the series

60 HP

45 STR

45 SKL

75 SPD

40 LCK

30 DEF

22 HP

10 STR

7 SKL

11 SPD

3 LCK

3 DEF

And this is another Archer who have been considered the best in the series

90 HP

65 STR

40 SKL

65 SPD

40 LCK

30 DEF

For what it is, dude basically had no skill

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

1) That's not always true. Many playable Fighters have a pretty high Skill stat and there are some games where the class has good skill, although their bases tend to get sandbagged in games with unbalanced class bases. Skill isn't the most important stat anyway. Besides, bows tend to have a high hit rate, or at least higher than the Hand Axe without WTA.
2) Base E rank is a mean handicap (even in FE8 where most foot classes get auto-D's...) but if you get past that then bows eclipse Hand Axes outside of 1-2 range heavy enemy phases. Steel Bows completely outclass Hand Axes barring no 1-range. Short Axes are also limited to a few games and Tomahawk is rarely buyable, so for most of the game you can only purchase Hand Axes.
3) More reliability, being able to hit sword users, one-shotting fliers, attacking from 3-range via the Longbow... I could go on. And then there's the Warrior's unique traits as a bow user: they have the highest Strength caps and rarely get weighed down by heavier bows. Oh, and the newer games try to nerf Hand Axes to prevent this one-sided exchange.

18 hours ago, X-Naut said:

That's not always true. Many playable Fighters have a pretty high Skill stat and there are some games where the class has good skill, although their bases tend to get sandbagged in games with unbalanced class bases. Skill isn't the most important stat anyway. Besides, bows tend to have a high hit rate, or at least higher than the Hand Axe without WTA.

Uh Skill kinda is the most important if you want a good chance to hit something. Its the main reason why Rutger is needed in the first half because he can hit accurately..something which a lot of the units have a hard time to do.

And sure, there are some exceptions to this but those exceptions are rare considering that Kaga-San hated axe users and that most of them come either mid or late game like Geitz or Echinda/Bartre for example.

Base E rank is a mean handicap (even in FE8 where most foot classes get auto-D's...) but if you get past that then bows eclipse Hand Axes outside of 1-2 range heavy enemy phases. Steel Bows completely outclass Hand Axes barring no 1-range. Short Axes are also limited to a few games and Tomahawk is rarely buyable, so for most of the game you can only purchase Hand Axes.

Good luck spamming the hell out of the weapon rank. Its almost impossible when you first have to get your fighter promoted into a warrior in the first place and then begin grinding the weapon rank. 

Training axes is easier because fighters are stuck with them. Bows are hard because by the time you get the ranks higher, you most likely will end up having a unit that is far more worthwhile than the one you're stuck with. I mean, who's gonna bother to spam Bartre's bow rank when you have Geitz around?

Bows may be stronger than hand axes but the process of getting there is pointless because it takes a long time to level up the rank unless you boss abuse in which case..yeah go crazy.

More reliability, being able to hit sword users, one-shotting fliers, attacking from 3-range via the Longbow... I could go on.

Bows aren't so reliable compared to weapons that outshadow them. The only times they are reliable are the times in Echoes and just chipping fliers but that's about it. And in some cases, a unit that can use the ballista suffices I guess.

You might as well hit the sword user with an axes instead of a bow because there's a chance that the bow will miss. And while the hand axe can also miss, atleast you can avoid not being able to attack on the enemy turn.

Oh, and the newer games try to nerf Hand Axes to prevent this one-sided exchange.

Whether the hand axes are nerfed or not doesn't matter as they still have a 1-2 range attack compared to bows. 

But who knows? Maybe bows might end up being used like in Echoes for all we know.

18 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Its exactly because of point 1. The logic with Bow Warriors are along the lines of min maxing, where Warriors have enough power back up to make the bow hits hard regardless while at the same time having the accuracy from the weapon fix their lower accuracy

On my playthrough of FE4, Jamke!Faval  had issues hitting even though the hits were hard. The thing is, warriors should atleast have modest skill which is something they don't get with a few exceptions. Faval is not a warrior but by that logic, if the bow has higher accuracy, then it shouldn't matter whether the bow user or a warrior has good/bad skill since in the end, its all about hitting...hard?

As for the rest, I don't quite get your point on how warriors end up being better bow users compared to bow lockers. Guess I'm not getting a whole lot of this....

Edited by Harvey

An unpopular opinion that i haven't seen anyone else say: I'm not that much of a fan of Hidari's art. It's too washed out and idk, some faces look a bit odd to me, maybe even a bit generic.

While Kozaki's art could get ridiculous, I thought some of it had a bit more soul. Both pale compared to the GBA games, though. TBH I also prefer the art style of the Jugdral, DS and Tellius games, even if Shadow Dragon suffers even more from washed out colors.

Edited by Nobody

12 hours ago, Nobody said:

An unpopular opinion that i haven't seen anyone else say: I'm not that much of a fan of Hidari's art. It's too washed out and idk, some faces look a bit odd to me, maybe even a bit generic.

While Kozaki's art could get ridiculous, I thought some of it had a bit more soul. Both pale compared to the GBA games, though. TBH I also prefer the art style of the Jugdral, DS and Tellius games, even if Shadow Dragon suffers even more from washed out colors.

I think that it gives a fresh look and a break from the previous artstyle. I like how the Pegasus sisters are illustrated in SoV more than in the previous games. 

The artstyle in FE7 is great though and I really do hope that they go back into the artstyle at some point. I found the FE6 art somewhat pale in comparison though.

19 hours ago, Harvey said:

The artstyle in FE7 is great though and I really do hope that they go back into the artstyle at some point. I found the FE6 art somewhat pale in comparison though.

Nice choice of words. I get what you meant, but ironically FE7's art is paler than FE6's. Compare:

murdoch7Murdoch-1

Bartre-1Bartre-1Merlinus-1Merlinus-1HectorHector-1

Looking at the official artwork makes the contrast even clearer. Binding has a fairly cartoony appearance, character designs, and bright, bold and saturated kid friendly colors. Blazing opts for a measure of greater realism and restrain in its character designs, cutting down on FE6's garish hues.

Similarly, FE5 has more mature and realistic profile sprite designs than FE4. RD does compared to PoR too (compare the two Geoffreys). I guess greater mastery of a system's graphical abilities (or just the shared game engine in case of Tellius) allows for less of an emphasis on simple coloring and exaggerated designs.

I don't get why a unit's usefulness is being judged if they are in a game where unlimited EXP becomes a thing.

In games that limit EXP, its understandable as you want to train good units that are reliable to you throughout. 

But for games that have unlimited EXP, its really meaningless to judge their usefulness since again you can train them to your heart's content.

Virion isn't good for you at some point? Well then reclass him to get him better skills and train him more!

Can't seem to get past a chapter which makes you want to use Silique's warp? Well train her to get the skill!

Its not like Conquest where you need to think twice for which units are worth your time or even in some games which give you problems getting replacements later on. 

29 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I don't get why a unit's usefulness is being judged if they are in a game where unlimited EXP becomes a thing.

Not that i'm an expert in the matter or anything but i'm pretty sure that when a unit's usefulness is judged, it is assumed that no grinding is involved. Because every unit can be amazing if you grind EXP. Even in older games like FE6 and 7, Arena Abuse exists.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Not that i'm an expert in the matter or anything but i'm pretty sure that when a unit's usefulness is judged, it is assumed that no grinding is involved. Because every unit can be amazing if you grind EXP. Even in older games like FE6 and 7, Arena Abuse exists.

Adding on to this, there's also the question of whether or not the unit is even worth the effort to grind in the first place and yield results due to growth rates. For example, in Awakening, Virion and Sully are two units that I never end up using, due to, no matter how much I put into them in the main game, they always fall off. In the post-game, perhaps, since you're going to be grinding up anyway, you might as well aim for maxing everyone, but otherwise, it basically boils down to said "useless" unit simply requires too much investment that you may or may not be willing to give.

22 hours ago, Armagon said:

But that's just the point. Why judge them when you can train them to make them better if exp option is there?

20 hours ago, Motendra said:

Adding on to this, there's also the question of whether or not the unit is even worth the effort to grind in the first place and yield results due to growth rates. For example, in Awakening, Virion and Sully are two units that I never end up using, due to, no matter how much I put into them in the main game, they always fall off. In the post-game, perhaps, since you're going to be grinding up anyway, you might as well aim for maxing everyone, but otherwise, it basically boils down to said "useless" unit simply requires too much investment that you may or may not be willing to give.

Unless you're talking about some units with very low growths, growths aren't going to hinder that much in games that give you EXP option because reclassing and promotion exists in such games. If Virion is going to end up being bad after all the skills and stats that he's obtained, reclassing him will make him better in the end. Its time consuming but it is doable to make a unit usable.

But even so, why would you ever decide to judge a unit if its worth training if you have the opportunity to train in the first place is beyond me. You may get few powerful units here and there but you still need to train the team you're stuck with regardless.

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

But that's just the point. Why judge them when you can train them to make them better if exp option is there?

Because everything is assumed that there's no grinding involved. It's like Smash Bros tier-lists. Everything is assumed that the two players are playing two different characters at an equal skill level. 

Not entirely sure if this is unpopular or not, but I can't stand Soleil. I think she's a great unit gameplaywise, especially since she completely wrecks ninjas and maids as a bow knight, but I just can't stand her personality. It's like they tried to make a female Laslow but without any of his flaws (which was a bad idea to begin with, it just screams obnoxious positive discrimination) but then actually wound up making a female Laslow with even worse flaws and just had everyone pretend they weren't there. She is waaaaaay more of a creep than Laslow will ever be, what with her stalking girls from behind bushes, chasing them all over camp (let alone what it implies she plans to do when put in Ophelia's body), and that's to say nothing of the stuff they cut out of the English version like her supports with Forrest. And yet she doesn't get nearly as much shit for it in-universe as Laslow does. She's insufferable.

Edited by Alastor15243

48 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Not entirely sure if this is unpopular or not, but I can't stand Soleil. I think she's a great unit gameplaywise, especially since she completely wrecks ninjas and maids as a bow knight, but I just can't stand her personality. It's like they tried to make a female Laslow but without any of his flaws (which was a bad idea to begin with, it just screams obnoxious positive discrimination) but then actually wound up making a female Laslow with even worse flaws and just had everyone pretend they weren't there. She is waaaaaay more of a creep than Laslow will ever be, what with her stalking girls from behind bushes, chasing them all over camp (let alone what it implies she plans to do when put in Ophelia's body), and that's to say nothing of the stuff they cut out of the English version like her supports with Forrest. And yet she doesn't get nearly as much shit for it in-universe as Laslow does. She's insufferable.

I mean, she IS a Fates character, and Fates characters have like the most mixed opinions, so, while it's not unpopular to hate Soleil, it's also not popular to like her.....i think.

I actually do like Soleil though. She's my 2nd favorite Fates character, just behind Azura. I don't mind that she's basically Inigo/Laslow 2.0, especially because of how damn cheerful she is.

But hey, regardless whether you like or don't like her, i hope we can at least agree that she's not Peri, a.k.a, the worst FE character ever made.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But hey, regardless whether you like or don't like her, i hope we can at least agree that she's not Peri, a.k.a, the worst FE character ever made.

A point of agreement that is so general and low a bar it might as well have been an indistinct "mmmHMMMMmmmm" noise.

But yes, agreed, Peri is cancer.

Edited by Alastor15243

57 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Soleil is a highly controversial character so I don't think that's unpopular. Her upport with Ophelia especially seems to rub people the wrong way and rightfully so since Ophelia is in tears as some point. 

I do think the localisation tried to at least salvage Soleil as best as they could. Her supports with Forrest no longer comes off as Soleil hunting down poor Forrest and I think her S rank situation is an improvement. The biggest flaw Soleil has is that the very concept is founded in bad faith. She seems based on the belief that a woman attracted to the same gender is just immature and will grow out of it when she meets a real man. In the localisation its more like she's just Bi and Forrest being her only real romance option seems fitting since he's so feminine and thus appeals to Soleils tastes already. 

I wouldn't say Soleil is a good character but she has her charm and certainly got improved from the trainwreck her Japanese version was. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

28 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Unless you're talking about some units with very low growths, growths aren't going to hinder that much in games that give you EXP option because reclassing and promotion exists in such games. If Virion is going to end up being bad after all the skills and stats that he's obtained, reclassing him will make him better in the end. Its time consuming but it is doable to make a unit usable.

But even so, why would you ever decide to judge a unit if its worth training if you have the opportunity to train in the first place is beyond me. You may get few powerful units here and there but you still need to train the team you're stuck with regardless.

Mind you that, without DLC,  said EXP requires spending gold that is limited, making grinding to be costly or even impossible (units are both stronger and outnumber you with map battles being the only other source of gold) depending on difficulty. And assuming that one actually did go through the effort, by the time that [Virion] actually becomes usable, the rest of the party suffers due to having to spoon feed every other kill that could have went to someone else over to [Virion], halting their own growth with the chance that [Virion] might not even grow that much, if at all from it. Naturally, if a unit cannot grow fast enough they will be left behind more often than not. In a post-game setting, sure, anyone can be good; no one's denying the theory that it can be done. It's the practice that's not recommended, which no one's telling you that you can't do, if you want to practice what you preach. Then tell me how that went

I just think of Soliel as a very strange strereotype that is one yet isn't one. Didn't help that I watched a gaijin hunter video about that stupid "tea conversion therapy" controversy that confused me even more. It also doesn't help that the localization decided to screw around with her character to the point where I just gave up on understanding what she was meant to be.

14 hours ago, Motendra said:

Mind you that, without DLC,  said EXP requires spending gold that is limited, making grinding to be costly or even impossible (units are both stronger and outnumber you with map battles being the only other source of gold) depending on difficulty. 

Reeking boxes aren't that hard to get even in higher difficulties because you are almost guaranteed  to get a lot of gold at some point of time. And even then, enemies will always spawn at some point in time during gameplay so its not like you need gold for them to spawn.

And assuming that one actually did go through the effort, by the time that [Virion] actually becomes usable, the rest of the party suffers due to having to spoon feed every other kill that could have went to someone else over to [Virion], halting their own growth with the chance that [Virion] might not even grow that much, if at all from it.

Who in the right mind would play like that? Training just one unit in the game is not something to even consider doing when you have a lot of underleveled units in your way.

Even the second generation units cannot be used right away in the final chapter as soon as you get them because they need to be trained. 

Naturally, if a unit cannot grow fast enough they will be left behind more often than not. In a post-game setting, sure, anyone can be good; no one's denying the theory that it can be done. It's the practice that's not recommended, which no one's telling you that you can't do, if you want to practice what you preach. Then tell me how that went

The problem with this is that Awakening doesn't give you lots of prepromotes that are not even on par to those in Blazing Blade. Throughout the entire game, if you are going in a no grind run, only a minute cast can be used and kids can't be used as there is no way that they can be used without grinding. The rest of them need training to be good. The units that are good within the small cast you're stuck with in a no grind run are just few and far between.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Reeking boxes aren't that hard to get even in higher difficulties because you are almost guaranteed  to get a lot of gold at some point of time. And even then, enemies will always spawn at some point in time during gameplay so its not like you need gold for them to spawn.

... gold that could be spent elsewhere, such as stocking up weapons, staves, medicine, forging or even stat boosters? You know how much a reeking box is? 4800, almost half the value of a Bullion L. Map battles only yield 2 Bullion S's for a 1000 each, which is not enough. And even then, said map enemies aren't always enough exp to train your units, assuming that they can even take them on one one one. 

Who in the right mind would play like that? Training just one unit in the game is not something to even consider doing when you have a lot of underleveled units in your way.

You took that too literally; never did I imply only ONE unit. For some units you have to, cause they just can't cut it on their own. You know, have one unit soften the enemy so that a weaker one can get some kills? The ones I speak of are those who, after doing this STILL can't keep up and must rely on this to even be usable at all, which is a burden when faced with numbers. In case you couldn't tell, the brackets were a placeholder to put in x unit, which for example, I used Virion. This applies to Sully as well and sometimes Kellam & Henry from my own experience that is strictly Hard mode. 

The problem with this is that Awakening doesn't give you lots of prepromotes that are not even on par to those in Blazing Blade. Throughout the entire game, if you are going in a no grind run, only a minute cast can be used and kids can't be used as there is no way that they can be used without grinding. The rest of them need training to be good. The units that are good within the small cast you're stuck with in a no grind run are just few and far between.

I was never talking about pre promotes though. Mind you that I generally always do some amount of grinding here and there, fore the sake of level balancing the team.

I've done this before in one of my Awakening runs where I tried to make use of every first-gen unit via a secondary team for map battles. It can be very rewarding in the post game, but otherwise, required a lot of time for it to even work, which I honestly couldn't have done without DLC.

Really, all I'm saying is that it requires a lot of time and effort to do, not that it can't be done. I always put in some amount of effort to train my units but if a general amount isn't enough, that in doing so, other units become over leveled (something that I try to avoid) I don't bother.

20 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

She's polarizing, that's for sure.  I think she's a victim of having too many things going on.  She has her girl schtick, her general inappropriateness with clothes, and her happy-go-lucky streak, in that order.  I really wish that her trait priority was reversed.  Have her be happy-go-lucky, with everything else stemming from that.  But hating her isn't exactly unpopular!

I'm going to attempt to rewrite her.  Out of all the children, she's getting the biggest overhaul.