What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

4 minutes ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

Another unpopular opinion of mine would be that I dislike Ryoma and Xander.

When people like Xander, I think it's Support Xander they like, which is very different from his main story self I've heard. Plot Marx everyone acknowledges is madder than this:

Spoiler

KSS Marx 2

No gonna touch the General Motors vs. Sephardim debate. But everyone should know where my allegiances lie. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tolvir said:

I thought this was an unpopular opinion thread, not post your unpopular opinion and have people rip into you for not having the popular opinion thread?

Did this have a post of mine quoted at first cause I was notified as if it did.

Otherwise I have no idea why I got pulled into this.

That being said Tolvir's right.

2 hours ago, Lau said:

But isn't this entire thread about having 'out-of-the-ordinary' opinions? Sheesh.

I didn’t mean that as a bad thing, I meant it as unexpected and attention-grabbing. I think that if you’re going to say something you know nearly everyone disagrees with you on, you should probably explain how you got there. Otherwise what’s the point of saying it?

3 minutes ago, Greencapps said:

Did this have a post of mine quoted at first cause I was notified as if it did.

Are you following somebody? I get notified of new posts all the time from accounts I follow.

2 minutes ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

Are you following somebody? I get notified of new posts all the time from accounts I follow.

No.

I figured it out though. He posted in another thread around the same time and that had me quoted. I must have miss clicked.

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Indeed, the Dawn Brigade are the best.

I find them to be tragic. The developer notes make Edward, Leonardo, and Nolan all seem quite good and it's a shame they don't have supports. I'm liking Eddy as the happy kid from the slums, and Nolan as a depressed adult from a civilian background. Leonardo's desperate escape I'd like explained in his own words too. I want more Fiona too, on her, her father the Steadfast Rider, and the somewhat autonomous state of Marado. Fiona looks nice too and I appreciate her darker skin tone.

Micaiah is of course good. Sothe was neat in PoR in personality, and has a certain physical appeal in RD. 

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

<snip>

Hey, I wasn’t ironic. It’s a shame Radiant Dawn got hijacked by the Greils mid-plot. The Dawn Brigade could use more of everything.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Hey, I wasn’t ironic. It’s a shame Radiant Dawn got hijacked by the Greils mid-plot. The Dawn Brigade could use more of everything.

I know that, I was simply saying my part on them. They had clear potential. They just so happened to be in a game with too much in it for everything to be cooked to a perfect medium rare.

Shadow Dragon was a legitimately bad game in almost every respect.

The non-RNG level ups and special triggers from Heroes should make it into the main series.

Romance supports are a good thing, but children rarely are unless the story naturally accomodates them. Have the spouses/best friends simply inherit each other's unique skills to have support choices impact gameplay. 

Manaketes should be replaced by Laguz in all future games.

Awakening is a better game than it is given credit for. It just needed better pacing and foreshadowing.

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know that, I was simply saying my part on them. They had clear potential. They just so happened to be in a game with too much in it for everything to be cooked to a perfect medium rare.

Yeah... Radiant Dawn had enough plot for two games.

37 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The way RD was written didn't do the DB any favors.

Micaiah aside, the game's basically written as if we already know all these characters. Which works for the Crimean army and the GM, since we DO already know those characters, but the DB is an all new crew of characters. We really only get a handful of base convos to give them any character, which isn't enough when they have to share screen time with two other parties and they don't get proper supports.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Certainly

1. There is reinforcement abuse in many of its chapters. And this will go on for few turns after which, spawns will stop.

2. There is the boss abuse where a lot of bosses aren't that strong. So you can just abuse units with the bosses.

3. There's also sidequest abuse where you wed two units to unlock constant sidequests until there's nothing to wed with. After all, that's exactly one of the reasons why people bash at Awakening right?

4. There's also day abuse where you can just abuse the 3DS day time and get enemy spawns from the world map.

5. Lastly, there's the money abuse where you can buy plenty of reeking boxes and end up grinding to your hearts content. Might not be easy on harder difficulties but it is doable.

Because by your logic, you're saying that the only way to beat the game on harder difficulties is through the use of DLC which isn't at all true. DLC makes it easier but the game is made in such a way that you don't need DLC to beat it.

Except this is a game where grinding becomes an option making everyone usable. Also no. Virion and Sully have good speed growths so how can they not end up capping them?

Now if this is a game where grinding isn't an option, then I can agree that units can be judged for their reliability. But the problem is again, in games that let you grind to your heart's content, why judge them? If you're going to play on lower difficulties, there is no point in judging them because it is so easy to play the game with practically anyone.

Fair enough, I'll yield on this one. Virion and Sully, I speak from personal experience. Its rather unfortunate, really, though from what you've told me, much of these issues (Virion & Sully aside) is attributed to simply how I choose to play the game. Thanks for the heads up

3 hours ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

Another unpopular opinion of mine would be that I dislike Ryoma and Xander. A lot.

While Fates is often guilty of having people act dumb to drive the plot, I think Ryoma flipping out if you turn on Hoshido makes sense. From his point of view, he got emotionally invested in getting back his "brother" and was distraught when that person identified as a Nohrian. It makes much less sense for Xander to flip out because he's lived with Corrin all this time and should trust him enough to talk it out instead of "Dad isn't eviiiiiiiiil! You must hate your family and want to destroy Nohr!!!!!"

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

While Fates is often guilty of having people act dumb to drive the plot, I think Ryoma flipping out if you turn on Hoshido makes sense. From his point of view, he got emotionally invested in getting back his "brother" and was distraught when that person identified as a Nohrian. It makes much less sense for Xander to flip out because he's lived with Corrin all this time and should trust him enough to talk it out instead of "Dad isn't eviiiiiiiiil! You must hate your family and want to destroy Nohr!!!!!"

I actually think Ryoma flipping out makes less sense or at least is pretty vile. Ryoma knows who Corrin is, he knows he isn't related to Corrin by blood any more then Xander is yet he completely denies the idea that Corrin may consider the people who raised him to be his family. 

Ryoma's case hinges on him being Corrin's real brother.....which he isn't. He's not Corrin's brother by blood and he didn't raise Corrin either. Ryoma is just a stranger at this point in Corrin's life. 

Its kind of despicable that he denies Corrin's bonds with the Nohrians while insisting Corrin honor a blood relation that does not exist and a bond that's not at all different then the Nohrian bond he denies, except it being a far weaker one because Corrin spend a much longer time in Nohr. 

Now I don't think this was the intention. I have big suspicions that Ryoma's dialogue was written when Ryoma was still Corrin's actual brother but that eventually the writers decided that being able to marry the Hoshido silings was just more important and Ryoma had to take a hit in the moral department just for that. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

4 hours ago, Motendra said:

Fair enough, I'll yield on this one. Virion and Sully, I speak from personal experience. Its rather unfortunate, really, though from what you've told me, much of these issues (Virion & Sully aside) is attributed to simply how I choose to play the game. Thanks for the heads up

Out of curiosity, do you ever Reclass Sully to Myrmidon when you get the Second Seal in Nowi and Gregor's Chapter? It's always fixed her speed issues for me when I use her, though I agree Virion's not worth the trouble even on Normal unless you really like him for some reason. You're still forcing Sully through 10 Levels, but she's always leveled up faster than Stahl for me even when I use them equally as often so in theory that isn't too big an issue.

Most people put too much stock in the whole blood thing (which is understandable given the way its marketed), but even without familial blood, Corrin is still legally Hoshidan royalty by pure Birthright (like its namesake) from their mother marrying into the royal family. By all rights and accounts, Corrin belongs (for lack of a better term) to Hoshido. Having Nohr not only take away Ryoma's father, "mother" AND "sibling", its only right that he flips out and'd be extremely unrealistic if he didn't.

10 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Out of curiosity, do you ever Reclass Sully to Myrmidon when you get the Second Seal in Nowi and Gregor's Chapter? It's always fixed her speed issues for me when I use her, though I agree Virion's not worth the trouble even on Normal unless you really like him for some reason. You're still forcing Sully through 10 Levels, but she's always leveled up faster than Stahl for me even when I use them equally as often so in theory that isn't too big an issue.

Re classing is something that I save only for post-game grinding, with the one exception I made was for Robin, just for the sake of trying. Sorry to say, but I generally don't re class as a rule of thumb. I do make exceptions for Subak as a samurai, Hinoka as spear fighter as she should have been. and sometimes Rinkah for dread fighter, however.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I actually think Ryoma flipping out makes less sense or at least is pretty vile. Ryoma knows who Corrin is, he knows he isn't related to Corrin by blood any more then Xander is yet he completely denies the idea that Corrin may consider the people who raised him to be his family. 

Ryoma's case hinges on him being Corrin's real brother.....which he isn't. He's not Corrin's brother by blood and he didn't raise Corrin either. Ryoma is just a stranger at this point in Corrin's life. 

Its kind of despicable that he denies Corrin's bonds with the Nohrians while insisting Corrin honor a blood relation that does not exist and a bond that's not at all different then the Nohrian bond he denies, except it being a far weaker one because Corrin spend a much longer time in Nohr. 

Now I don't think this was the intention. I have big suspicions that Ryoma's dialogue was written when Ryoma was still Corrin's actual brother but that eventually the writers decided that being able to marry the Hoshido silings was just more important and Ryoma had to take a hit in the moral department just for that.

I forgot how multilayered this game is in its awfulness.

You're right, that part slipped my mind. They're both terrible, but for different reasons. I agree with your suspicion that this is a writing flop that came about from sibling S supports being tossed in later on. Or maybe they just didn't care.

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

Most people put too much stock in the whole blood thing (which is understandable given the way its marketed), but even without familial blood, Corrin is still legally Hoshidan royalty by pure Birthright (like its namesake) from their mother marrying into the royal family. By all rights and accounts, Corrin belongs (for lack of a better term) to Hoshido.

Well marrying into royalty doesn't necessarily by inheritance laws make you royalty with good claims to titles and possessions. It depends much on the country and time. This said, feudal Japan did seem to permit wholesale adoption.

Kenshin Uesugi I think I remember reading wasn't a true Uesugi, and lo he became the most famed of all. Hideyoshi before Hideyori's birth was considering adopting one of his grown man generals as his "son", which in retrospect would have been better for the Toyotomi Shogunate than a blood inheritance. Since Hideyori being but an infant when Hideyoshi died was a boon to the ambitious Ieyasu who didn't bother naming his bakufu the Toyotomi, nope, it was the Tokugawa Shogunate that would govern Japan for centuries.

But that is just me being tangentially nitpicky.

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

Hinoka as spear fighter as she should have been.

Good choice! Falco has its advantages, but if you want a pure combat Hinoka, Spear Fighter is the easy way to go. She'll trounce Oboro on average, and even tied with Mozu. On my Female only BR Lunatic, she with Rinkah as a battery and a Guard Naginata was invaluable for getting through Iago's second battle, as well as Izumo (with Javelin there), and outside of these instances she was still very powerful. On Revelation, I used her Camilla A+ to send her Wyvern Lord, it was better than Falco I'd say.

8 hours ago, Etheus said:

Manaketes should be replaced by Laguz in all future games.

Can't really agree...I'm really curious to your reasoning, considering the Manaketes are pretty much a common staple starting with the first game whereas the Laguz only appeared in Tellius with, if I recall, awkward mechanics.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well marrying into royalty doesn't necessarily by inheritance laws make you royalty with good claims to titles and possessions. It depends much on the country and time. This said, feudal Japan did seem to permit wholesale adoption.

It would depend on if Corrin was formally adopted and put into the line of succession. Even so, it's a pretty sketchy to tell someone that you're their "real family" if that's only true legally.

There were too many characters in RD for the support conversation depth that players like myself wanted. And I also feel that Greil Mercenaries already got enough character development in PoR that we can have them be playable in only part 4. Also not to mention keeping all the characters is really dumb when the game is more large-scale and more political then PoR ever was.

The gay options in Fates were actually pretty bad because it didn’t feel like they were pandering to a LBGT audience and more to fujoshits and Yuri fanboys. If they were actually going to pander to the LGBT crowd then I’d have the same-sex options not be confined to another version of the game pre-Revelations like Silas and Azura. Oh and have more then two gay options.

7 minutes ago, Fala said:

The gay options in Fates were actually pretty bad because it didn’t feel like they were pandering to a LBGT audience and more to fujoshits and Yuri fanboys. If they were actually going to pander to the LGBT crowd then I’d have the same-sex options not be confined to another version of the game pre-Revelations like Silas and Azura. Oh and have more then two gay options

I always believed the biggest flaw with the gay options was that they went out of their way to pick the biggest freaks in the army to be gay rather then the ones who fitted it best like the Camilla who constantly flirts with strong woman or Soleil who is ALL about being attracted to woman.

All gays being freaks makes for a rather unfortunate implication. 

6 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Can't really agree...I'm really curious to your reasoning, considering the Manaketes are pretty much a common staple starting with the first game whereas the Laguz only appeared in Tellius with, if I recall, awkward mechanics.

Culturally and aesthetically speaking, Laguz are more interesting and varied than Manaketes. Manaketes thus far have just been lolicons with dragon stones (adult Tiki aside) with no known nation or culture to speak of. Laguz can fill the same role, but have also shown more age ranges, transformation variety, and backstory.

The only flaw of the Laguz has been in their awkward shifting mechanics. Those have to go. When I say Manaketes should be replaced by Laguz, I mean that the loloicon dragon trope is old and needs to be replaced with something that has actual potential for variety. I don't mean that the dragonstone mechanic needs to go. Just give us something with the variety and numbers of the Laguz with the simpler gameplay mechanics of the Manaketes.