What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

I guess I have a REALLY unpopular opinion:

I think that Senri Kita is not as good of an artist as everyone makes her out to be and I DON‘T want her to come back for a mainline game.

sure, she has some good points, but for me the things I don‘t like outweight them...I‘ll make a short list to clarify:

Positive points:

+ women wearing pants (most of them)

+ the soft shading looks usually nice

+ Ashera‘s design is glorious 

Negative points:

- PROPORTIONS! I really dislike her head to body and especially head to legs proportions. In my opinion some characters look out of proportion and I just can’t unsee it? (to this day I can‘t take the black knight seriously with his tiny head)

- Faces - to me they look like they‘re kinda, i don‘t know how to describe it... smashed in?  they also appear to all have little to no difference in their faces, especially the eyes

- Colors: they seem to saturated to me, it got better in RD but I‘m still not to keen on her palattes. ( example: Nephenees color palette looks way to saturated in PoR)

- Clothes designs: They are not bad per se, but I think they look lame? uninnovative? I‘d rather have fates/awakenings innovative designs with interesting and unique ideas (althought they are hit or miss sometimes) than boring outfits without any recognition value. (Same problem that I have with the Dynasty Warriors games since the glorious DW6 days)

Another unpopular (i think it is?)opinion is, that I really don‘t like canon couples in FE. I just think most of them are really bad written and IS can’t handle them right most of the time. They should stay with having different options for every character like in SS, BB, Aw or Fates. It would be the best if they combined the gba and 3ds support styles in my opinion.

This is just MY opinion, I hope I didn‘t formulate it to harsh.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I don't agree at all with the statement: "Birthright is just Awakening but better". Birthright has like, half the content, and the story was totally not compelling. I played Awakening several times, I can't see myself going back to play Birthright for any reason. I also can't remember a single story beat from the game without pausing and thinking "...or did that happen in Revelations?". I like that Birthright has a selection of mostly new classes, but because Revelations exists, nothing is unique to Birthright. I think the phrase should be "Revelations is just Awakening but better" since that makes sense when speaking strictly in terms of gameplay.

4 hours ago, Greencapps said:

No probably not.

If anything me thinking she's cute is.

Unfortunately this automatically makes me a pedo even though I have no sexual attraction to her.

Apparently cute things aren't allowed anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the Age of Butthurt, what do you expect?

2 hours ago, Iria said:

I think that Senri Kita is not as good of an artist as everyone makes her out to be and I DON‘T want her to come back for a mainline game.

sure, she has some good points, but for me the things I don‘t like outweight them...I‘ll make a short list to clarify:

Positive points:

Negative points:

- PROPORTIONS! I really dislike her head to body and especially head to legs proportions. In my opinion some characters look out of proportion and I just can’t unsee it? (to this day I can‘t take the black knight seriously with his tiny head)

- Faces - to me they look like they‘re kinda, i don‘t know how to describe it... smashed in?  they also appear to all have little to no difference in their faces, especially the eyes

- Colors: they seem to saturated to me, it got better in RD but I‘m still not to keen on her palattes. ( example: Nephenees color palette looks way to saturated in PoR)

- Clothes designs: They are not bad per se, but I think they look lame? uninnovative? I‘d rather have fates/awakenings innovative designs with interesting and unique ideas (althought they are hit or miss sometimes) than boring outfits without any recognition value. (Same problem that I have with the Dynasty Warriors games since the glorious DW6 days)

Another unpopular (i think it is?)opinion is, that I really don‘t like canon couples in FE. I just think most of them are really bad written and IS can’t handle them right most of the time. They should stay with having different options for every character like in SS, BB, Aw or Fates. It would be the best if they combined the gba and 3ds support styles in my opinion.

I agree completely. You used a good amount of harshness.

5 hours ago, Iria said:

Positive points:

Negative points:

I just want to point out, that the bolded were not actually done by Kita. Those designs were by members of the design team, Kita only created artwork based off of their work. 

I would agree that Kita, does get over hyped by the fanbase. However, my main criticism of her work is that I find a lot of her artwork, has a sort of dead inside look to the characters. 

7 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I think Peri would work better if she had rumors about being a serial killer that were created by rival Nohrian nobles to discredit her house. Eventually she lost her status and wealth, she wanted to live up to people expectations because she has nothing left. Then Xander took a special interest in her to see if she can become a better person.

I was lazily thinking the "high school arrogant rich girl" approach could work too. Maid killing is replaced by "Work harder wench!" and a blood drawing slap using the back of her hand. Assigned to Xander b/c she wanted to be with a royal, her daddy was willing to spoil her, and could work a little magic with Garon and get his daughter assigned to one of the royal kids. Despite her clear flaws and arrogant expectation of getting what she wants quick and free, Peri does display talent and a willingness to work hard for something she really wants, kinda like Chiaki in SMT: Nocturne.

7 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

No probably not.

If anything me thinking she's cute is.

Unfortunately this automatically makes me a pedo even though I have no sexual attraction to her.

Apparently cute things aren't allowed anymore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are plenty of "normal" lolicons on this site. And I may be a shotacon to some degree. 

The world displaying caution against pedophilia is a good thing- it might save kids from being traumatized for life. Nowi wouldn't be so dang bad to like if she just wore more clothes. Why does one need skimpiness to appreciate cuteness anyhow? 

7 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Unless they look like Kirby

Kirby is not human and is sexless, hence it is safe to love the Pink Terror. Furthermore, the Warrior of Pop Star is badass.

But really its the sexlessness that matters, the Shota of Time (Young Link) is badass, but being human means its not okay to find him cute unless you're okay with being glared at by others.

13 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Isn't "Love in the Crossfire" from Bravely Default? Is there a joke I'm missing? I apologize if I am.

Yeah it is. I just felt like referencing Praline al a Mode's number one hit and had a good opening to do so. And could you imagine Azura singing it?

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I think the phrase should be "Revelations is just Awakening but better" since that makes sense when speaking strictly in terms of gameplay.

How can Revelation be better than Awakening when Revelation is the worst Fates route? Those maps and that unit balance? No thanks.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nowi wouldn't be so dang bad to like if she just wore more clothes. Why does one need skimpiness to appreciate cuteness anyhow? 

I've seen a lot of fan art of Nowi with reasonable clothes and it makes a world of difference. Maybe Japan has different views on what innocence looks like but you can't really use that excuse when there are implied sexual relationships in the game.

The ones who bash at loot crates being a thing in gaming and the same ones who defend Heroes way of gambling characters because of the fact that the game is free and is a common mechanic for a gacha game are quite hypocritical.

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

The ones who bash at loot crates being a thing in gaming and the same ones who defend Heroes way of gambling characters because of the fact that the game is free and is a common mechanic for a gacha game are quite hypocritical.

Even though those things are very different thing? Also, this has nothing to do with fire emblem you know. 

29 minutes ago, Harvey said:

...I don't even hear that topic come up at all. You sure that's an "unpopular" FE opinion when you never hear about it in relation to FE (as I am suspecting)?

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Both are just about equal in badness, but the gachapon stuff in a full-priced game is slightly worse than in a free-to-play game. It is one of the reasons why I will never touch Heroes.

Edited by KoimanZX

2 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Even though those things are very different thing? Also, this has nothing to do with fire emblem you know. 

Uh Fire Emblem Heroes is a thing you know? Also how is it different. You're using loot crates to unlock stuff and in Heroes, you use orbs to get characters. What you get in both cases are random and both force you to get in app items to get into more chances.

1 hour ago, KoimanZX said:

Both are just about equal in badness, but the gachapon stuff in a full-priced game is slightly worse than in a free-to-play game. It is one of the reasons why I will never touch Heroes.

No its not and that's the point of my opinion. A free game whether it makes sense to do cash grabs or not is the same in the case of loot crates. There are so many ways to make money out of free games rather than just microtransactions being the supposed main one.

3 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Citizens of Daein were 100% justified in hating Ike. Micaiah having resentment towards Ike is 100% correct. If I were in her shoes, I'd be ten times angrier.

I don't know if they were "justified" in hating Ike (the suffering they endure is thanks to Ashnard and corrupt Begnions) but it's certainly realistic for them to not think highly of Ike. It's something I really appreciated in RD.

On an unrelated note, I don't get why people like Tharja so much. Yanderes have always bugged me, and Tharja is just an entirely new level of creepy. I get that her design is kinda fanservice-y, but I honestly can't look past her personality for that. 

Lucina x Robin is honestly an average support option imo, and I think that M!Robin has much better chemistry with Lissa Owain is my dork of a son okay

28 minutes ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

On an unrelated note, I don't get why people like Tharja so much. Yanderes have always bugged me, and Tharja is just an entirely new level of creepy. I get that her design is kinda fanservice-y, but I honestly can't look past her personality for that.

The fandom's pretty split on Tharja. A good amount don't like her for these exact reasons+For Noire's backstory and the history of abuse she experienced from Tharja that clearly left her fractured. And Tharja's history of abuse of generally anybody who isn't Robin.

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

No its not and that's the point of my opinion. A free game whether it makes sense to do cash grabs or not is the same in the case of loot crates. There are so many ways to make money out of free games rather than just microtransactions being the supposed main one.

Like...?  The entire point of the "free to play" model is to earn money through in game purchases.  If you don't charge money upfront, and you don't charge money ingame... where are you getting your money?  

Also, the reason people consider it worse in a full-priced game is because when they buy a full-priced game, they expect to receive their full money's worth up front rather than having to spend more to obtain everything randomly.  There's a pretty big difference.  

58 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Like...?  The entire point of the "free to play" model is to earn money through in game purchases.  If you don't charge money upfront, and you don't charge money ingame... where are you getting your money?  

Well for starters, you wouldn't base your entire feature on gambling or on insane amount of work needed to get basic things done in Heroes.

As for how else to earn money? How about following games like League of Legends which does not hinder the overall game experience one bit. The only thing it ever does is that you use cash to get costumes which have nothing to do with gameplay or anything else? And there are games that do this and do it right as well.

There are games like steppy pants which don't force you to pay a single penny even on the cosmetic side of things and that game made revenue for the devs. Sure some will pay for it but it still doesn't hinder the overall game experience...something which Heroes downright fails at. 

There are lots of other ways to get money. You don't need microtransactions alone to make money alone. Ads also work out which is why a lot of phone games force you to stay online.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Also, the reason people consider it worse in a full-priced game is because when they buy a full-priced game, they expect to receive their full money's worth up front rather than having to spend more to obtain everything randomly.  There's a pretty big difference.  

And again, that's being hypocritical. Yeah it sucks to have DRM on a game you bought but it also sucks at how a game that is free is DRM, has in app items that are not very generous, forces you to practically spend money if you want to get characters that are your most favourite( Don't expect to get Wolt that easily when he does end up being in Heroes) and basically has a plot that is not even a typical FE one at that but just follows the mobile trend of games that just seems so endless not to mention that the game won't let you play hours upon hours as well due to that stamina thing. 

Also, free games are not exactly free unless you completely decide to make them free because otherwise, you are wasting your bandwidth not just to download the game but to even play it which again, a lot of these mobile games force you to do. 

I'm not bashing at Heroes btw. I'm just saying that again, the ones bashing at loot crates but defending mobile games like Heroes being free to pay rather than being free legit are being hypocritical.

7 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I don't know if they were "justified" in hating Ike (the suffering they endure is thanks to Ashnard and corrupt Begnions) but it's certainly realistic for them to not think highly of Ike. It's something I really appreciated in RD.

I went into plenty of detail why Ike was also part of the problem in this thread. I appreciated that Ike and Micaiah's actions had negative consequences as it was far more realistic than a simple idealistic good vs evil like all other FE games. This leads to another unpopular opinion, Micaiah's actions are more justified than Ike's. 

Just now, Harvey said:

As for how else to earn money? How about following games like League of Legends which does not hinder the overall game experience one bit. The only thing it ever does is that you use cash to get costumes which have nothing to do with gameplay or anything else? And there are games that do this and do it right as well.

That's still a microtransaction.  You should have specified that you were specifically referring to gachapon and not just saying microtransactions in general.

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Well for starters, you wouldn't base your entire feature on gambling or on insane amount of work needed to get basic things done in Heroes

Heroes, with a bit of strategy, has its PvE doable with FTP units, as far as I'm aware.  You don't need a +10 BIke to get "basic things" done.  

The only thing that +10's are really need for is staying at the tip-top of arena tier 20.  Which you don't need to do to get full enjoyment out of the game.

8 minutes ago, Harvey said:

There are lots of other ways to get money. You don't need microtransactions alone to make money alone. Ads also work out which is why a lot of phone games force you to stay online.

That actually sounds more annoying to me than gachapon, I hate having ads intrude on my screen in general.  But this is a fair point regardless.

9 minutes ago, Harvey said:

And again, that's being hypocritical. Yeah it sucks to have DRM on a game you bought but it also sucks at how a game that is free is DRM, has in app items that are not very generous, forces you to practically spend money if you want to get characters that are your most favourite( Don't expect to get Wolt that easily when he does end up being in Heroes) and basically has a plot that is not even a typical FE one at that but just follows the mobile trend of games that just seems so endless not to mention that the game won't let you play hours upon hours as well due to that stamina thing. 

1. I don't expect to get Wolt easily (I do kinda expect him to be 4-5 though).  Despite pulling colorless often I still don't have Rebecca, even as a 4, and it took until she was given for free to get an Oboro.

2. The plot of FEH has nothing to do with this though???  I do think it's pretty standard faire for Fire Emblem (evil god possessing royalty... we've had this happen like, how many times?  FE4, FE8, FE13, FEW all have plot points like this), though, so I'm really not sure what you mean by it not being a typical FE plot.

3. The game is designed to be played in small pieces.  Stamina is there to make sure you don't get bored of the game.

The reason it's different is that if I already spent money to even play the game, cashgrabbing more for me to complete it is like a slap in the face.  The devs already got their money.  Whereas with a free game, they don't have money yet.

18 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Also, free games are not exactly free unless you completely decide to make them free because otherwise, you are wasting your bandwidth not just to download the game but to even play it which again, a lot of these mobile games force you to do. 

I've spent a grand total of 6 United States dollars on FEH, which was spent in February to tell the devs "yeah this is cool".  $ 6 nets 10 orbs, not even enough for a full 5 unit summon.

With my minimal spending, I have a fully functioning Horse Team, can clear the story as it releases with ease, and can stay in Tier 18-19 of the arena and get the maximum orbs/week.  I do not feel forced to spend money playing FEH.

37 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

That's still a microtransaction.  You should have specified that you were specifically referring to gachapon and not just saying microtransactions in general.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

No its not because you get it when you pay for it and it lasts like permanently.  Microtransactions are things that last for short terms like the dragon orbs.

38 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Heroes, with a bit of strategy, has its PvE doable with FTP units, as far as I'm aware.  You don't need a +10 BIke to get "basic things" done.  

The only thing that +10's are really need for is staying at the tip-top of arena tier 20.  Which you don't need to do to get full enjoyment out of the game.

I was referring to the obnoxious amounts of grinding that you practically have to do to make your units better. To battle, you need orbs. To grind, you need very specific materials because normal grinding will start to get tedious. 

Sure, there is strategy but again, its so minimal that its not even close to that of your typical FE. But again, that's not what Heroes is all about. Its main selling point is to play as your favourite characters and that's that which is what a lot of people are more focused on rather than the game itself.

45 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I don't expect to get Wolt easily (I do kinda expect him to be 4-5 though).  Despite pulling colorless often I still don't have Rebecca, even as a 4, and it took until she was given for free to get an Oboro.

Your point?

46 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The game is designed to be played in small pieces.  Stamina is there to make sure you don't get bored of the game.

Wrong. Stamina is there to make sure that you don't play too much of the game. It is another way of the game to force players to use orbs if those stamina bottles aren't in the players favour.

49 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The reason it's different is that if I already spent money to even play the game, cashgrabbing more for me to complete it is like a slap in the face. 

And again, a free game does this too. You use bandwidth to get the game and you also use it to play it. And who said mobile games are not cash grab? What's not gonna stop you to spend like 200 orbs on a Wolt swimsuit that's under limited time?

Heck forget Wolt. When you consider that mobile games abuse your dopamine into making you think that you are getting something worthwhile, you are not really getting that one bit. Look up games like Dungeon Keeper or even Candy Crush and those games will make sure that you need to bleed them money to win.

And true, Heroes isn't as close to that but its done in a manner that just derails the overall experience with the tedious grinding I mentioned earlier.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Whereas with a free game, they don't have money yet.

They technically do and its called ads. The difference is that ads don't make more profit than those micros.

Midori has one of the best designs in the series. Her pigtails are cute and she looks great with red hair, specifically Selena's. She looks and acts her age, and her relationship with Kaze is just adorable. It's a damn shame that you can marry her, plus she's optional(and can potentially be lost forever in Birthright) so a lot of people don't appreciate her. Aesthetically, she reminds me of Rin from Naruto. I think it's the backpack.

I found Basilio's fight against Walhart to be heartbreaking. Like, I know he and Robin had planned everything out beforehand, but did Flavia know? I don't think she did, meaning she genuinely thought that Basilio was dead. When she shouts his name, like holy crap man.

I liked the fact that Kaze joins you in Conquest. Most of the retainers aren't as loyal to their countries as they are to their Masters, and because Kaze doesn't have a liege to serve, plus he blames himself for Corrin getting kidnapped, it makes sense that he follows where the moron goes. It also gives delicious fanfiction material for some brotherly angst between him and Saizo.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Wrong. In LoL, you use real money to buy in-game money which you use to buy Champions, Champion Skins, and Boosts. So those that choose to whale on LoL have a clear advantage over F2P players.